Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kuros posted:

The Might and Magic community just got a bump from this vid from Sseth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9g2byXR2c

I'm a part of a M&M Discord and there's been at least 40-50 new members in the past couple days.

Gotta love when a popular youtuber bumps up a classic series.

i could have done without all the really loving bad bigotry though, yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Storms of Zehir is a lot of fun but quite polarising - I liked it a lot and it has a very old-school adventuring feel, but a lot of people didn't gel with it for understandable reasons.
Do tell, I'm on an oldschool RPG binge, have no idea what those "understandable reasons" are, and would appreciate a warning about something I might bounce really hard off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Storms of Zehir is NWN2.
he was talking about going straight to 2 to play Mysteries of Westgate, so I was talking about the other two expansions for 2. Definitely play Hordes of the Underdark for 1, it's legitimately excellent.

Pierzak posted:

Do tell, I'm on an oldschool RPG binge, have no idea what those "understandable reasons" are, and would appreciate a warning about something I might bounce really hard off.
it's an oddly structured campaign based around travelling around a world map and visiting small, discrete locations with skill checks, random encounters, secrets to discover etc. You create your full party and name the adventuring company, fun stuff like that. There's a lot of focus on investing, building up trade routes and caravans and building your trading empire - it's all pretty basic but I found it very satisfying, and it gives you a great money sink/feedback loop. There's more resource and risk management, e.g. you can't rest in dungeons and resting in the world map risks ambushes, that sort of thing - all contributes to the feeling of playing in someone's PnP game, which I really enjoyed.

However, as a result there's basically no plot to speak of, companion characters are more or less nonentities, and if you're looking for good Obsidian writing... look elsewhere. Given that NWN2 combat isn't great, the result is that it doesn't really play to any particular strengths, so it's an odd mixed bag. In particular there aren't really any dungeons of more than a couple of rooms up until the final one, which in fairness is really, really good. Even big cities like Neverwinter are basically a small market square to stock up and sell stuff. It's not a problem and it's a very deliberate choice, but it's going to confuse and alienate anyone expecting Neverwinter or Mulsantir. It's very much an experimental expansion which has its hits and misses, but I appreciated them trying something new.

It also had the issue of constant load screens and if you played NWN2 on launch you likely have traumatic memories of the loading times, but I'd assume that's a non-issue on newer systems/SSDs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he was talking about going straight to 2 to play Mysteries of Westgate, so I was talking about the other two expansions for 2. Definitely play Hordes of the Underdark for 1, it's legitimately excellent.
Shadows of Undrentine and Hordes of the Underdark are basically a duology, by the way. SoU is the first half of the story, HotU is the other half. They're as narratively connected as BG1 and BG2. If you want to play one, absolutely also play the other.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks a bunch! It seems more like a recommendation than a warning, so it stays on the to-play list.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Speaking of Neverwinter Nights, is it the go-to old-school RPG adventure creation kit? I'm going to be stuck in a hotel for a few months and I thought making something would be a fun project. I have Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures which I never got to mess with a kid, does it hold up OK?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Being the de-facto 3.5 Ed adventure creation toolkit is definitely one of the things that made NWN successful. It's ridiculously easy to use and I think it came with a live DM mode where a DM could take control over individual NPCs and play them, or place monsters and rewards on the fly on top of what was already prepared.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Twobirds posted:

Speaking of Neverwinter Nights, is it the go-to old-school RPG adventure creation kit? I'm going to be stuck in a hotel for a few months and I thought making something would be a fun project. I have Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures which I never got to mess with a kid, does it hold up OK?

yeah it's one of the better ones, making something basic is easy but it's just powerful enough to pull off some cool things with advanced use rather than being totally constrictive.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Arivia posted:

i could have done without all the really loving bad bigotry though, yikes

Who would of thought popular youtuber WaffenSSethSaal-Schutz88 is a racist!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Being the de-facto 3.5 Ed adventure creation toolkit is definitely one of the things that made NWN successful. It's ridiculously easy to use and I think it came with a live DM mode where a DM could take control over individual NPCs and play them, or place monsters and rewards on the fly on top of what was already prepared.

It's 3.0, one of NWN2's selling points was updating the system to 3.5. (Simple way to tell: NWN has Ambidexterity as a feat, NWN2 does not.)

But for other reasons, NWN is much more accessible to play with others and design for than NWN2, so definitely go with 1 even if the actual RPG rules are kinda crufty.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Twobirds posted:

Unlimited Adventures was great for it's time, but I doubt it would hold up today. It uses the 1.0 ruleset, which means at high levels magic-users eclipse everyone else. Also it requires Dosbox. Still, there's a small but thriving FRUA community today, so I dunno.

http://frua.rosedragon.org/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If you're interested in 5E stuff. Solasta: Crown of the Magister's latest patch included a dungeon creator which they're going to be building on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

If you're interested in 5E stuff. Solasta: Crown of the Magister's latest patch included a dungeon creator which they're going to be building on.
how is that game generally? Haven't heard much

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Not an RPG per se, but I was very very pleased to see that Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is on Steam - cheap as chips too. Then I checked and I already own it on GOG and had totally forgotten.

I have too many games.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

how is that game generally? Haven't heard much

I would like to know too. This really looks right up my street and the initial reviews are very strong. I'm not keen on paying for Early Access games, though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually I don't know what Solasta is like at the moment.

I own it, but it's in Early Access at the moment (but with regular progress and I belive they're aiming for a summer full launch).

So I've been holding off on the official 1.0 release.

The early build demo (which I don't think is live at the moment) was good enough that I wishlisted it immediately, and picked it up when it came out.

I have been hearing a lot of postive buzz about it though, and I'm looking forward to diving in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pillars of Eternity 2: is... is this a typo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
no

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2: is... is this a typo

I remember something like this from Paladin's Quest. Maybe some of the PoE2-devs were fans?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Forgotten Sanctum is rad for those of us who worship Wael in real life

(though praise always be unto Rymrgand as well)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

I remember something like this from Paladin's Quest. Maybe some of the PoE2-devs were fans?
The other type of Gaping Dragon. "You feel a warm breeze coming from the cave" indeed.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing Wizardy 8 on and off for a month and while I like the game, I really dislike doing the battles over and over again, it's really tiresome in this game. Recently I played through Daggerfall and I actually really enjoyed the feel of getting lost in those insanely maze-y dungeons and Daggerfall Unity fixed many of the problems with it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: is there a modern first-person dungeon crawler game that gives you that same crazy maze-y feeling with modern combat/UI? I tried Legend of Grimrock 2 but the combat felt unenjoyable.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is: is there a modern first-person dungeon crawler game that gives you that same crazy maze-y feeling with modern combat/UI? I tried Legend of Grimrock 2 but the combat felt unenjoyable.

What do you mean by modern combat/UI? Wizardry 8’s combat is pretty much the gold standard of first person party-based dungeon crawlers; if you didn’t like it I’m honestly not sure what else to recommend. Pretty much everything else since then has been in the vein of Wizardry or Dungeon Master (eg Grimrock) and if you don’t like either I kind of suspect you might be in the wrong genre.

If you want a more Daggerfall-like game you’re probably better off with an open world solo adventurer type of game like the other TES games or the newer Fallouts. Most of that space is 3rd-person though.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Genpei Turtle posted:

What do you mean by modern combat/UI? Wizardry 8’s combat is pretty much the gold standard of first person party-based dungeon crawlers; if you didn’t like it I’m honestly not sure what else to recommend. Pretty much everything else since then has been in the vein of Wizardry or Dungeon Master (eg Grimrock) and if you don’t like either I kind of suspect you might be in the wrong genre.

If you want a more Daggerfall-like game you’re probably better off with an open world solo adventurer type of game like the other TES games or the newer Fallouts. Most of that space is 3rd-person though.

I'd really like Wizardy 8 if the encounter rate wasn't so high. I've played with the speed hack and even then it's very tiring. Just wish there was a way to tone it down somehow. I've played the other TES/Fallout games yeah.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'd really like Wizardy 8 if the encounter rate wasn't so high. I've played with the speed hack and even then it's very tiring. Just wish there was a way to tone it down somehow. I've played the other TES/Fallout games yeah.
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 are two of my favorite RPGs (especially 2) and the unofficial 3rd game is Arx Fatalis which is awesome as well. They both have real time Daggerfall-like combat and the dungeons are hand-crafted, nothing random.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 are two of my favorite RPGs (especially 2) and the unofficial 3rd game is Arx Fatalis which is awesome as well. They both have real time Daggerfall-like combat and the dungeons are hand-crafted, nothing random.

Oh yeah, Arx Fatalis is a really good call. UUW is amazing too but very far from modern.

If we’re allowed to go prior to Wiz8’s release then Might & Magic 6-8 is another potential recommendation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

Oh yeah, Arx Fatalis is a really good call. UUW is amazing too but very far from modern.

If we’re allowed to go prior to Wiz8’s release then Might & Magic 6-8 is another potential recommendation.

I was thinking Might & Magic as well. Purple XVI just finished an LP of 6 and started one of 7. There are also some great, genuinely funny LPs of the earlier games on the archive.

I really wish that there was a full remake of Morrowind.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Genpei Turtle posted:

If you want to go this route, you can also check out the Might and Magic Merge Mod which smashes 6 through 8 into one game based off of 8's engine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Can recommend the merge mod. It includes all the mechanical and engine improvements of MM8 while preserving the best aspects of MM6 and MM7, such as hirelings. It's basically the best parts of each game mashed together into one big whole.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Can recommend the merge mod. It includes all the mechanical and engine improvements of MM8 while preserving the best aspects of MM6 and MM7, such as hirelings. It's basically the best parts of each game mashed together into one big whole.

I was a bit skeptical until I learned that your party is the size of MM8 (5) and you can freely boot and hire characters, so even if you start in MM6, you can still later add stuff like vampires, dragons or goblins to your party if you want. I still want to go through MM7 and MM8 one last time alone, but with the later improvements smashed into MM6 I'll definitely try the merge mod at some point in the future.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are even some blank characters that you can hire and then "promote" into any class you want if you don't like the characters the games usually ship with. They'll be marked Peasant, I think.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I assume that the merge mod is compatible with all of the GrayFace mods? I consider the latter necessary in this day and age.

Also, I heard that it was piss-easy to break the difficulty curve of any of the games over a knee in the merge mod, sometimes without even trying. Any thoughts?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

JustJeff88 posted:

I assume that the merge mod is compatible with all of the GrayFace mods? I consider the latter necessary in this day and age.

Also, I heard that it was piss-easy to break the difficulty curve of any of the games over a knee in the merge mod, sometimes without even trying. Any thoughts?

If you're coming off of a clean install, Greyface features are built into Merge mod.

Sure, difficulty curve is pretty easy to break, but that's why Bolster is there to make enemies harder as you get stronger and also you can always self-impose restrictions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it makes it very easy to break the difficulty if you really want to, but you still have to go out of your way a little same as you always had to in these games. Bolster can even it out a bit. Of course, slowly turning yourself a walking god among men is my favourite part of playing RPGs, so I turned that poo poo off right away.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'd argue that Might & Magic 6-8 do the rise to godlike power better than any other game and it's one of the main draws. The reverse difficulty curve is nothing new, but going from being terrified of three goblins at once to literally flying around the most inhospitable place on the planet, blasting dragons with meteors from the edge of your vision, is an endgame experience no other game offers.

You don't just win the numbers arms race, you get nukes while the enemy is still using bows.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

going from being terrified of three goblins at once to literally flying around the most inhospitable place on the planet, blasting dragons with meteors from the edge of your vision, is an endgame experience no other game offers.
Hell yeah. Might and Magic doesn't just tell you're a level 100 archmage, it makes you feel the part as well. By the end of MM7-8, you're literally human flying artillery. Five blasters equipped on five Grandmaster Blaster Use characters is like an infinite chainsaw of energy bolts, too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hm, Deadfire in turn based more doesn't feel very well balanced, does it? Primarily it doesn't feel like action speed/quick attackers matter at all any more. I made Xoti a monk and even with quick strikes on, she just gets one weak attack in at the start of a round and then does gently caress all.

I don't remember exactly how quick attackers etc worked in 1 but I remember my monk bouncing hilarious around the arena with a thousand fists flying for every enemy move and that doesn't seem like it can happen here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's very noticeable that turn-based is something they hacked in after the fact, not something that the game is built around.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I like the curve in the Baldur's Gate games. The player starts out way too frail, but at the end of the game the party becomes incredibly powerful without trivialising all of the content.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with presenting a challenge right up to the end - the mainline SMT games do a great job with this, and if you ever get too big for your britches the optional superbosses serve as a reminder that you and your godlike demons are still bugs compared to the real movers and shakers.

My point regarding Might & Magic is that if there ever were games to enjoy the reverse difficulty curve in, it's these three. They don't just make the challenge go away, they completely change how the game is played by endgame, basically turning from an RPG into a FPS. The fact that the combat is always pretty simplistic, as opposed to Baldur's Gate's elaborate mage duels, plays into this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

JustJeff88 posted:

I like the curve in the Baldur's Gate games. The player starts out way too frail, but at the end of the game the party becomes incredibly powerful without trivialising all of the content.
I was reminded of this on my most recent playthrough, when finally doing a Kensai/Mage dual class protagonist, who could almost singlehandedly tear through 90% of the game, but still had to try really hard to deal with Demogorgon, and I actually somehow found Mellissan harder this time around than in either of my previous playthroughs (did the Enhanced Edition increase her difficulty or did I just forget how to play against tough foes?)

But yes, that is one of many reasons I am forced to acknowledge the Baldur's Gate full experience is collectively my favorite game despite not actually being my favorite gaming subgenre (being games where you wear shoulderpads)