Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Saros posted:

For information like that, and to see what UNEC is up to its best to look at the Standing orders page of the wiki.

In this case the new missile designs I have in mind are:

code:
Denel SSM-13A "Harrier" ASM
WH 2.25 ENG 3.1 FUEL 0.65
Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 9    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 31000 km/s    Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 21.7m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 310%   3k km/s 100%   5k km/s 62%   10k km/s 31%

Development Cost for Project: 535RP

----

Denel SSM-11B "Eagle-B" Anti-Ship Missile
WH 1.5 ENG 2.065 FUEL 0.435
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 6    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 31000 km/s    Endurance: 12 minutes   Range: 21.8m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 310%   3k km/s 100%   5k km/s 62%   10k km/s 31%

Development Cost for Project: 356RP

----

MBDA SVM-6D "Hornet-D" Multipurpose Missile
WH 0.25 ENG 0.65 FUEL 0.1
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 39000 km/s    Endurance: 9 minutes   Range: 20.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 390%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 78%   10k km/s 39%

Development Cost for Project: 90RP

Ah, I completely forgot about the standing orders page. I've bookmarked it for future use.

Quick question though, presumably these are intermediate designs until we can develop better sensors and fire control systems and thus go for longer range, but even so why no dedicated Anti Missile Missile?

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

BwenGun posted:

Ah, I completely forgot about the standing orders page. I've bookmarked it for future use.

Quick question though, presumably these are intermediate designs until we can develop better sensors and fire control systems and thus go for longer range, but even so why no dedicated Anti Missile Missile?

These are missiles specifically for use with our current fleet and for LABYRINTH - the Hornet-D will serve as AMM for the time being (and is far superior to the current Mosquito-B), and will eventually be replaced with a short ranged, extremely agile missile once all NIKE missile techs are complete.

To be more specific, we want to get Missile Agility 32 and maybe Fuel 0.8 (not as important) before we commit to a dedicated ion AMM.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He's totally not dead.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So will there be a statue of limitations on the secrecy? That is, once we're far enough past this in game time will the brave Charge of the Beef Brigade be told in-thread?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

He's totally not dead.

He's died before.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Dawncloack posted:

I will drink the rest of the bottle in your honor, sir. Salute!

Amen to that! Though I agree with the others in that Beef has died before, he has done so in a way that has given us time.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

What a curious development.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Akratic Method posted:

So will there be a statue of limitations on the secrecy? That is, once we're far enough past this in game time will the brave Charge of the Beef Brigade be told in-thread?

I don't know, the only other thing that's happened that was UN driven that I know of was my capture when the Klondike and Kagayan were destroyed in K2, and I was pretty much told 'hey, want to know this cool stuff that you can't share with the thread?' and I said 'yeah'.

Speaking of that incident, there's two things I want to bring up: 1. I was promised a ship class named after me... :colbert: and 2. There's a missed opportunity to name the operation to liberate K2 "Shadowing's Revenge".

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

To: FAUN Ignatov
Subject: Peaceful Concepts of Communion

Mr. Ignatov,
It is my pleasure to inform you and the Federation that as of 10:00 UTC on the 17th of December, after finishing the stabilization of the Hakahaka-Roanoke gate, Peaceful Concepts of Communion was observed by UN vessels as traveling in the direction of another gate in the Hakahaka system. To our knowledge, that gate does not connect back to any known human-controlled space. We are therefore hopeful, at present, that the immediate danger posed by Peaceful Concepts of Communion has been averted. The UN will stay on high alert for any sign of MIND vessels coming from Hakahaka. Please keep us informed of actions taken by To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously.

Samolety fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 11, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. Snark posted:

Amen to that! Though I agree with the others in that Beef has died before, he has done so in a way that has given us time.

According to Beef, a known rogue agent who has betrayed the UN for a third party before. Sure he's done "positive" work.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

The PCoC is going away from Sol. If that isn't a positive change, then I don't know what is.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I'm sure it has everything to do with Beef and nothing to do with the fact that the MIND is just an Aurora AI randomly gating everything because that's what they do, and picking to go somewhere else because it doesn't have Roanoke surveyed. :ssh:

That said, RIP Beef, you did the UN proud :patriot:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Hey guys, what's going on...

:stare:

Beef, gone? No, it can't be true! NOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPo1dgrHms

Good night, sweet prince. :cry:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Raw_Beef posted:

Please believe i made a serious attempt to complete my mission as planned.
Events took place that I am not at liberty to discuss.
I believe that I stayed loyal to the UNIN to the end, and may have had a positive effect on future events.

RIP Capt. Raw_Beef AKA OSIRIS. 2005-2036.

Hail to your sacrifice! Regardless of which way it went, in the end Beef died in service to humanity.

The Mind had spilt human-cyborg blood. It cries out for vengeance!

(Too bad we can't give him a double promotion for dying in service, but think of all the VR dramas.)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 11, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Readingaccount posted:

Hail to your sacrifice! Regardless of which way it went, in the end Beef died in service to humanity.

The Mind had spilt human-cyborg blood. It cries out for vengeance!

(Too bad we can't give him a double promotion for dying in service, but think of all the VR dramas.)

Can we award him a posthumous medal?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Snark posted:

The PCoC is going away from Sol. If that isn't a positive change, then I don't know what is.

Because it didn't jump into the ambush that was set in Roanoke like it was supposed to.

You are doing the UNEC thing of seeing a plan fall apart and then naively grasping for a positive explanation rather than accepting the far more obvious conclusion that things have gone very wrong.

e: PoC was supposed to be dead. Now it's continuing to develop lines of communication on the Mind's side of the frontline. That's not a good thing.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 11, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
That would be my instinct too, that it's not coming through because it doesn't want to die... but I'm taking RawBeef on his word.

Did we actually greenlight this though, or was it just plot? Because I'd be amazed if we OKed this.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Raw_Beef posted:

RIP Capt. Raw_Beef AKA OSIRIS. 2005-2036.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well its not like we were going to spend a month hauling his rear end out there and then not use him for something.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

Readingaccount posted:

Did we actually greenlight this though, or was it just plot? Because I'd be amazed if we OKed this.

There was no vote, because it was a UNIN op using only UNIN resources on a target which has been deemed hostile by all of UNEC. Beef was sad that ISIS fell through and wanted to do something cool, so Gnooble came up with a batshit insane idea and offered it to beef as a volunteer suicide mission, which he accepted.

It was crazy and everyone knew it, but sometimes crazy is fun (see: Tilde).

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
It was also a (mechanically) free roll to destroy the linelayer - something our ambush would not have been guaranteed to do. Since the linelayer departed for Thebes, it's out of our hair for the time being. Since we can infer with near certainty that they already have a direct gate line back to PCoC's base and thus to the whole MIND network, I fail to see how gating unrelated star chains equals setting up additional "lines of communication on the Mind's side of the frontline." Having them gate additional systems further away from us works in our favor, as it is less work for us to do if and when we take the fight to the MIND and want to colonize out there.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whether or not it was an outcome we had hoped for, we still got something out of it: Time.

Maybe not as much as we might like, but more than we had before.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

hailthefish posted:

Whether or not it was an outcome we had hoped for, we still got something out of it: Time.

Maybe not as much as we might like, but more than we had before.

If the Linelayer is doing what I suspect it is doing (working on something less dangerous while waiting for the cavalry to show) you really lost time, since you skipped the "oh poo poo these savages blew up our linelayer phase".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gnooble posted:

It was also a (mechanically) free roll to destroy the linelayer - something our ambush would not have been guaranteed to do. Since the linelayer departed for Thebes, it's out of our hair for the time being. Since we can infer with near certainty that they already have a direct gate line back to PCoC's base and thus to the whole MIND network, I fail to see how gating unrelated star chains equals setting up additional "lines of communication on the Mind's side of the frontline." Having them gate additional systems further away from us works in our favor, as it is less work for us to do if and when we take the fight to the MIND and want to colonize out there.

That analysis fails to take into account the fact that the Mind is already closing in on Sol from two different directions.

Here's the absolute worst case scenario: The Mind now knows about K2 and when blockading fleets show up they'll do so to shut down all three exits from Sol at the same time.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Thebes is the system the lineyaer originally came from. So they are not heading towards a different jump point to build another gate. They are going home, presumably because of Raw Beef. Seems like they're bringing him in.

Also, someone said that it's just the AI doing random things. Please keep in mind BGreman might be in fact in control of the Mind, playing it just as another player race. He has already said that we should presume that the Mind is capable of doing anything that we are... In other words, let's try not to metagame, and assume this is another fully fledged faction just as the Federation or Cornucopia.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Alchenar posted:

That analysis fails to take into account the fact that the Mind is already closing in on Sol from two different directions.

Here's the absolute worst case scenario: The Mind now knows about K2 and when blockading fleets show up they'll do so to shut down all three exits from Sol at the same time.

To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously is currently headed away from Sol according to the Federation Navy (our own observers are enroute) and the MIND has had numerous occasions to learn about K2 - including - the disconnection of the Shard and subsequent psychic breakdown among Osaka's crew, along with their apparent ability to access and alter our shipboard data storage.

Yes, IRON CHEF was not a complete success. It was also not a disaster, we got an essentially free shot at destroying a ship.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2014

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

markus_cz posted:

Also, someone said that it's just the AI doing random things. Please keep in mind BGreman might be in fact in control of the Mind, playing it just as another player race. He has already said that we should presume that the Mind is capable of doing anything that we are... In other words, let's try not to metagame, and assume this is another fully fledged faction just as the Federation or Cornucopia.

That is how all of our actions are being planned. My statement about it being a a dumb AI was tongue-in-cheek as I hoped was conveyed by the :ssh:.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

So, any theories on that blood map?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kommando posted:

So, any theories on that blood map?

I'd say 'show it to the Feds and see if they can fill in the missing pieces' but in metagame terms that's tantamount to throwing the puzzle back to BG and saying 'please tell us the answer'.

So I am assuming that's not the actual answer to the puzzle.

Zenorefe
Oct 7, 2014
Wow, now that I've finished reading this LP, what am I going to do with myself? First SA post, want it to be a ground force application, no particular preference.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

NEW ORDERS 25 DEC 2036: (added to standing orders on wiki)

-Scribbleykins is to pause research into EM Sensor Sensitivity 8 and begin a research project on Fire Control Speed Rating 2000 km/s.

-Once Warhead 4 and Missile Ion engines are completed the following missile designs are to be researched by Rotenkian using 20 research labs (in the following order, Hornet-D, Eagle-B, Harrier):

<Designs removed>

-The other 20 Labs are to remain with Eumenides and he is to begin research on First Small crew Quarters (728rp remaining) then continue on to Salvage module 500 (5000rp)

-After completion of the missile designs 15 labs are to be assigned to Eumenides Crew quarter/Salvage module project (35 total) and 1 lab is to remain with Rotenkian to begin research on missile agility 32.

-The remaining 4 labs are to be assigned to Scribbleykins to assist with his Fire Control Speed Rating 2000 km/s project (5 total).

-----

Tech completion projections:

MBDA SVM-6D Hornet-D: 21 January 2037
Small Crew Quarters: 1 February 2037
Denel SSM-11B Eagle-B: 10 February 2037
Denel SSM-13A Harrier: 1 March 2037
Salvage Module 500: Late April
Fire Control Speed Rating 2000 km/s: Early August
Composite armor: Late June/Early July

After Salvage module completes the next priority will be Composite armor.

-----

Project Labyrinth Projections:

As of 21 Jan when we can start producing the first missiles we will have a total of 516 Ordnance factories giving 6450BP/year. This will continue to rise to 632 by the start of march giving 7900BP/year.

Total BP cost for the required missile build is approx 3700BP. We should have a complete loadout by the start of July. Transit time to Combat positions in K2 for our fleet is approx 25 days depending on planetary alignments.

Expected date of commencement of hostilities is late July 2037. UNIN should endeavour to have all the necessary fleet elements recalled to Earth and prepared by mid June.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 13, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alchenar posted:

I'd say 'show it to the Feds and see if they can fill in the missing pieces' but in metagame terms that's tantamount to throwing the puzzle back to BG and saying 'please tell us the answer'.

So I am assuming that's not the actual answer to the puzzle.

No, in meta gaming terms its "give information to a rival faction in the hopes that they will provide us with more information." They could tell us nothing ("sorry, no clue!"), or they could use the information and tell us that they learned nothing ("sorry, no clue!" + "a new ship class has transited to Zhongguo.")

It could work, or it could backfire.

Let's keep working on K2, folks.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

To: Training Squadron
Re: Overhaul

Training Squadron is immediately recalled to Callisto for overhaul of the fleet in preparation for LABYRINTH.

UNS Jutland, UNS Mackinac, UNS Kharkiv, UNS Tartu, and UNS Boston will remain out of overhaul, joining with the cruisers already in Callisto orbit. Upon completion of overhaul of UNS Rhodes and UNS Malta, Jutland and Mackinac will commence their own overhauls. All ships completing overhaul will enter a holding orbit around Callisto and await further orders.

To: All BuOrd Personnel, All Ordnance Factories
Subject: New Missile Production

All dates speculative based on Research Completion.

On 22 January production will begin on the new MBDA SVM-6D "Hornet-D" Multipurpose Missile missile. 400 are currently ordered.

On February 10 or at completion of the Hornets production will begin on Denel SSM-11B "Eagle-B" ASM with an order size of 150.

On March 1 we will begin producing the Denel SSM-13A "Harrier" ASM with an order size of 610 using 50% production, upon Eagle completion, this will rise to 100%.

As missiles are completed, COLLIER should move them to Callisto. COLLIER immediately dispatched to Earth in preparation for this assignment.

For attention of UNIEB/UNFRAD UNIN requests payment of 5 billion euro to Cornucopia for lease of ordnance factories on Luna. We would also request transfer of sufficient TNEs and funding for a production line on 100 Denel SSM-11B "Eagle-B" from these factories. Notification should be provided to the Federation so that they can supply their matching payment on the same date.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 13, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Consider this a draft that only goes out if Samolety didn't respond when it's time to move the game ahead.

Subject: Earmarking for Cornucopia Armament Deal

Greetings, Mr. Ignatov. Councilor Samolety is occupied at the moment with previous engagements, but our office still wanted to let you know in advance that the UN is about to make an investment in the Cornucopia ordnance factories, so your government can provide the matching payment that we agreed upon our deal.

The UN will invest 5 billion euro on the production of ordnance, by the 21st of January 2037. If for some reason the Federation is unable to come up with the matching payment by that date, please let us know so both our offices can come up with a mutually satisfactory alternative.

Aside from that, I hope we can have a respectful and productive relationship, between our respective organizations diplomatic offices.

Edit: I was looking at past updates and... did we ever say to the Feds that we agreed to this deal and signed up on it?

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 17, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Task Group WATCHTOWER: Roanoke-Hakahaka JP, 26th December 2036

In the wake of IRON CHEF and the disappearance of Peaceful Concepts of Communion, 1st Fleet orders the personnel affected by the Osaka Effect to be returned to Callisto. The jump tender Edwin H. Armstrong and the surveillance corvette Pythia will perform the mission. Their ETE to Callisto is almost six weeks.

Meanwhile, WATCHTOWER is reorganized: the surveillance corvette UNS Didyma is paired with the DE UNS Bohol to serve picket duty on the far side of the Roanoke-Hakahaka gate. The remainder of WATCHTOWER will remain on the Roanoke side of the gate.

Elsewhere, UNSA slightly shuffles its primary research projects. Dr. Scribbleykins, who had been working on further improvements to EM detection sensor sensitivity, is retasked to begin work on better tracking algorithms and electronics for beam fire controls. With just the single lab under his control, the work is estimated to be completed in June of 2039, but UNSA promises more resources will be allocated to the project in order to keep with the time-frame agreed upon with the Federation.

Callisto: 1st Fleet HQ, Ragnarok, 27th December 2036

In preparation for the execution of OPERATION LABYRINTH in mid-2037, Rear Admiral Bareilles orders RADM Hurriness to bring the 1st Fleet Training Squadron back to Callisto for refuel and overhaul. The estimated time in overhaul for the squadron is about twenty-two weeks, though many of the ships in the formation will be available much earlier than that.

At the same time, the COLLIER task group is dispatched to Earth to prepare to ferry newly completed Project SPRINTER missiles back to Callisto.

At Camp de Silva in Brazil, the 97th Mobile Infantry Battalion is activated. As it moves to occupy its assigned billet, the 29th Infantry Division is deactivated. Its officers and NCOs are ordered to report to Camp de Silva to form the core of the new 101st Mobile Infantry Battalion.

Task Group PILGRIM: Deep Space, Roanoke System, 30th December 2036

CMDR Nevermore214 reports that UNS Edwin H. Armstrong has suffered an engine maintenance failure very similar to that experienced by UNS Cape Town the week before. Corrective action has been taken, but senior officers within BuShips begin to agitate for an investigation into possible reliability issues with the Pratt & Whitney 40000M-E100 nuclear pulse engine. A self-contained design, the engine is used to power the overwhelming majority of UNIN's current fleet, with over two hundred in the field. Continuing issues with the engines may put a strain on BuShips maintenance capabilities.

Kal-L posted:

Subject: Earmarking for Cornucopia Armament Deal

Greetings, Mr. Ignatov. Councilor Samolety is occupied at the moment with previous engagements, but our office still wanted to let you know in advance that the UN is about to make an investment in the Cornucopia ordnance factories, so your government can provide the matching payment that we agreed upon our deal.

The UN will invest 5 billion euro on the production of ordnance, by the 21st of January 2037. If for some reason the Federation is unable to come up with the matching payment by that date, please let us know so both our offices can come up with a mutually satisfactory alternative.

Aside from that, I hope we can have a respectful and productive relationship, between our respective organizations diplomatic offices.

To: UNFRAD
Re: Lunar Ordnance Deal

The Federation is in agreement and will match the UN investment, per the previously agreed upon stipulations: one quarter (25%) of the ordnance installations constructed for this purpose by the RoC will be remanded to the Federation upon the completion of the ordnance building operation, to be removed within six months of that date. We will require Federation Central Fleet observers to be granted access to the operation to ensure that only the publicly disclosed ordnance is being manufactured, and that none of it be used against Federation interests.

Earth: Low Earth Orbit, 2nd January 2037

The Cornucopian shipbuilding firm BVAE makes delivery of the first Lyell-class geological survey vessel. Capable of jumping itself through un-gated jump points (and thus also serving as a communication relay for forward systems), it represents a leap forward in capabilities for the UN Geological Survey. Cornucopia turns over the ship in an official ceremony in orbit.

However, due to shifting UNIEB priorities, UN subcontractors are lagging behind in producing components for further Lyells. While the engines for all ten Lyells have already been delivered to the UN, none of the jump drives have been started, nor any of the electronic components.

UNS Cibola: Roanoke-Uwazi Jump Point, 2nd January 13:24 UTC

Three ships transit into Roanoke from Uwazi. They identify themselves as the survey vessels Boomtown, Cibola, and Shambhala, under the command of the senior officer of the squadron, CMDR Kal-L. The three set course for the Sol JP, some four weeks away.

Kal-L forwards along a report from CMDR GladRagKraken, still within Uwazi in the jump tender Alan Turing.

Turing arrived at the Uwazi-Batavia jump point on 3rd December at 3:00 UTC, under orders to evacuate the destroyer escort UNS Caloocan. Caloocan had been engaging in a minesweeping operation in the the Batavia system, but the discovery of an alien presence within the system prompted 1st Fleet to recall the destroyer. Upon Turing's transit into the system, she learned that Caloocan was nearly a month out from the jump point.

Turing had been ordered to perform a reconnaissance of the remaining unexplored jump points in Uwazi after retrieving Caloocan. CMDR GladRagKraken, upon his own initiative, decided to perform the exploration and then return for Caloocan. Turing thus exited Batavia and set course the #6 JP in Uwazi.

In the meantime, UNS Boomtown, originally ordered to enter Batavia and begin geological survey of the cleared bodies within the system, had been ordered to cancel this mission and return to the Uwazi-Roanoke jump point. Boomtown reached the jump point on 4th December at 14:01 UTC.

Turing arrived at the #6 JP on 9th December at 21:16 UTC and executed a squadron transit at the ungated point. Arriving 46,000 km from the far side of the JP, Turing detected no alien signatures and set about performing a remote astrographic survey of the system, now designated UNTJS 012.

UNTJS 012 turned out to be a rather disappointing system, consisting of an extremely old K2-V star 90% as large, 75% as massive and only 34% as luminous as Sol. The planet is accompanied by a single large, moonless gas giant, 8.5 times more massive than Jupiter. A full astrographic report will be attached.

After spending 24 hours in the system ensuring there are no other bodies of interest, Turing returned to Uwazi and set course for the outermost #7 JP.

On 11th December, UNS Cibola arrived at the Uwazi-Roanoke jump point, falling into formation with Boomtown. Three days later on 14th December, Shambhala completed the analysis of gravitational survey location #7 and set a course for the Uwazi-Roanoke jump point to complete her own evacuation.

A week later, on 21st December, Boomtown suffered an engine failure in one of her previous-generation nuclear thermal engines. A pressure regulator in the sorium feed pipes tripped a system self-diagnostic and was replaced from spares.

Turing arrived at JP #7 a day later on 22nd December, finding the jump point to be ungated. CMDR GladRagKraken ordered a squadron transit, arriving a scant 1,000 km from the JP. Sadly, UNTJS 013 is even more disappointing than the previous system, consisting of only a lone T4-VII red dwarf. A full astrographic report will be attached.

After a 24 hour survey mission, Turing returned to Uwazi and set course for the Uwazi-Roanoke JP. In the meantime, Shambhala arrived at the Uwazi-Roanoke JP on 28th December, joining Boomtown and Cibola. Turing finally arrived at the JP on 2nd January. CMDR GladRagKraken intended to transit the three survey vessels back into Roanoke so that they might begin their return to Sol, executing this transit at 13:24 UTC.

Kal-L adds that GladRagKraken reported that Caloocan should have arrived at the Batavia side of the Uwazi-Batavia jump point already. Turing is now en route to Batavia to collect Caloocan and finally return to Roanoke. GladRagKraken puts his ETE back to Roanoke at about one week.

UNS Midway: Sol-Zhongguo JP, 5th January 2037, 0:54 UTC

CMDR Jesenjin, senior officer of the task group currently stabilizing the Sol-Zhongguo jump point, reports that the Federation vessels Medved and Ashgabat have returned to Sol, much earlier than anticipated. When queried, the Federation officer in charge of the formation defers to the senior Federation officer in the area, Kommodor Rana Biswal.

Kommodor Biswal informs CMDR Jesenjin that the UN diplomatic team will be returned to Midway. She will give no reason for the return of the team, saying only that she must consult with her superiors in Lockyer and await their instructions.

Thirty minutes later, the UN team is back aboard Midway, though none of them seem to have any more information. They know only that they traveled for eleven days before being informed that Ashgabat would be returning to Sol.

Eight hours later, there is a response from Mumbai.

Samolety posted:

Subject: Peaceful Concepts of Communion

Mr. Ignatov,
It is my pleasure to inform you and the Federation that as of 10:00 UTC on the 17th of December, after finishing the stabilization of the Hakahaka-Roanoke gate, Peaceful Concepts of Communion was observed by UN vessels as traveling in the direction of another gate in the Hakahaka system. To our knowledge, that gate does not connect back to any known human-controlled space. We are therefore hopeful, at present, that the immediate danger posed by Peaceful Concepts of Communion has been averted. The UN will stay on high alert for any sign of MIND vessels coming from Hakahaka. Please keep us informed of actions taken by To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously.

To: UNFRAD, UNIN
Re: Peaceful Concepts of Communion

Sirs, I first would like to apologize for the delay in updating you in regard to the reason for the return of your diplomatic observer team. Unfortunately, important events in FED 003 mandated the immediate return of Medved and Ashgabat. These were the vessels closest to Sol at the time.

At approximately 15:00 on 28th December, To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously completed stabilization of the far side of the FED 002-FED 003 jump point. Immediately afterwards, she cased all communication and set course away from the jump point at her assumed maximum speed (based on the specifications you have provided us). Rosomakha, the ship from which we were conducting our diplomatic exchange, was not disposed to follow the ship's sudden departure, and is not equipped to track her. However, we are certain that the ship did not transit into FED 003, and thus is not approaching Sol via that route.

FEDCENTCOM is currently considering an operation to attempt to locate the Mind vessel, but the Mosvkas in Zhongguo and beyond do not have the range to conduct such a mission. We intend to send a pair of Vishnu-class destroyers to FED 003, but it would be more than a month before our ships could be in FED 003.

We would additionally send one of the gravitational survey vessels currently surveying FED 002 to conduct a gravitational survey in FED 003. This would enable us to find To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously's possible exit points. If it is stabilizing one of these points (or a point on the other side), we may have time to find it before it moves on.

We believe following these vessels will provide useful intelligence on the extent of the Mind's influence within the jump network, and are thus offering the UN the opportunity to send one or more of its Sol-Zhongguo JP picket vessels through immediately via the jump tender Medved. We believe your vessels could be in FED 003 up to ten days before our destroyers, depending on their exact maximum speeds.

Medved and Ashgabat would escort your vessel or vessels all the way to FED 003. Rosomakha will return to Zhongguo IV to refuel, and then return to the FED 002-FED 003 jump point to serve as a communications relay for the operation in FED 003.

UN vessels would be expected to escort our gravitational survey vessel until the arrival of our Vishnu destroyers, at which point further plans can be made.

If the UN is interested in participating, FEDCENTCOM will be happy to go over exact details with a UNIN representative, but time is of the essence.

Civilian Construction
  • Beedi Transport and Trading
    • Udaloy 31-class freighter, 27th December 2036
    • Udaloy 31-class freighter, 28th December 2036

Officer Attribute Increases
  • CMDR KSAF Staff Report - Political Reliability Bonus: 10% -> 20% (+10%), 28th December 2036
  • CMDR Lu Yan - Crew Training Rating: 25 -> 50 (+25), 28th December 2036
  • CMDR Jack2142 - Crew Training Rating: 25 -> 50 (+25), 2nd January 2037
  • CDRE Anta - Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 207 -> 217 (+), 3rd January 2037.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I'd say why not, but I'm not a flag officer and I don't know what up.

VVVVVVVV Yes to Markus_cz's proposal

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 18, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Let's do it.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

More importantly, it's time to plan our own mission in Hakahaka and beyond. Peaceful Concepts of Communion seems to have withdrawn somewhere, probably to Thebes... should we try to locate it? We have Delphis at site, equipped with long range sensors.

It might also be a good time to send Cibola and Shambala, our gravitational survey ships that have just finished working in Uwazi, back into the Hakahaka chain - namely Thebes, to try to find where the Mind has come from. It is a dangerous mission but I feel it's very important to do since it will give us priceless information. Either we find the Mind's planet(s) or we will find their military (via being killed). Both will give us valuable data.

I also feel that the mysterious star map left aboard Osaka can only be decoded if we push harder into the Mind's space - I's say we need to explore the map a bit more before we can tell what's what on the map.

In short, let's launch an exploratory mission to Thebes and beyond. Yay or nay?n

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yes.

markus_cz posted:

More importantly, it's time to plan our own mission in Hakahaka and beyond. Peaceful Concepts of Communion seems to have withdrawn somewhere, probably to Thebes... should we try to locate it? We have Delphis at site, equipped with long range sensors.

It might also be a good time to send Cibola and Shambala, our gravitational survey ships that have just finished working in Uwazi, back into the Hakahaka chain - namely Thebes, to try to find where the Mind has come from. It is a dangerous mission but I feel it's very important to do since it will give us priceless information. Either we find the Mind's planet(s) or we will find their military (via being killed). Both will give us valuable data.

I also feel that the mysterious star map left aboard Osaka can only be decoded if we push harder into the Mind's space - I's say we need to explore the map a bit more before we can tell what's what on the map.

In short, let's launch an exploratory mission to Thebes and beyond. Yay or nay?n

Also yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
To: UNEC
Subject: Stalled Lyell construction

Gentlemen,

I hope you are pleased with the first Lyell that we delivered recently. It is quite a fine ship, and I personally did an inspection the day before we turned her over. I'm very proud of the BVAE's work on her, and I'm sure I'll be just as proud of the next 9.

However, be aware that under our contract, the BVAE is unable to set down another keel until they receive another full set of prefabricated components. We currently do not have these components available, and therefore the work is stalled.

The second slipway that the BVAE committed to build on their facility as part of your contract remains under construction and has not been impeded by this little hiccup.

Sincerely,
President Calvin Grant

• Locked thread