Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Akratic Method posted:

Same, with the added caveat that I haven't played an RPG since AD&D 2nd Edition in middle school. But I kinda miss it and wouldn't mind learning a new system as long as it's simple enough that I won't bog everyone down.

Perfect, Traveller isn't too difficult, for all skill checks you just roll 2d6 and if the result is 8 or higher you pass. Charater generation is a tad more complex since its basically a lifepath process, but it a lot of fun.

For a game, I'm looking for three to five people for a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Sunday afternoon is one of the few times on the weekend that I'm not spoken for, so I'm game!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We demand an after action report!

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
I could do Sundays I think. Haven't played Traveller.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Depending on exact times (I'm on GMT, so afternoon could be pretty late for me) than I'd be down. Need to re-read my rulebooks! Also, if you want any of the source books I got a few from Bundle of Holding, so PM me if you fancy any!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ForeverBWFC posted:

Depending on exact times (I'm on GMT, so afternoon could be pretty late for me) than I'd be down. Need to re-read my rulebooks! Also, if you want any of the source books I got a few from Bundle of Holding, so PM me if you fancy any!

I was thinking anywhere from eleven in the morning to one o clock in the afternoon, later enough so we all will have a chance to wake up, not not so late we're starting in the evening!

Also I picked up the bundle from the Bundle of Holding too, so I got a lot of the classic Traveller supplements and source material too!

Zenorefe
Oct 7, 2014
I've done a few campaigns of Dark Heresy and D&D 5th Edition. I would be down for a new one on this Traveller. I'm GMT, PM me to organise anything.
I'm on my summer holidays amt so I'm pretty much always free. I should be home around 18:30 on Sunday so anytime after.

Zenorefe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 22, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Seems like we've committed to this now, so just to keep everyone on the same page the list of potential participants is:

GM Jimmy (US Pacific Time Zone)
Myself (US Eastern Time Zone)
Akratic Method (??? Time Zone)
Samolety (??? Time Zone)
Gnooble (??? Time Zone)
ForeverBWFC (Greenwich Median Time)
Zenorefe (Greenwich Median Time)

That sound about right?

Also, anyone who has question marks for their time zone should let us know so we can schedule accordingly.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dr. Snark posted:

Also, anyone who has question marks for their time zone should let us know so we can schedule accordingly.

I'm in US Eastern.

Also: if you need to get in touch to organize, QA_2@hotmail.com is my "postable to public forums" email.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2015

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Akratic Method posted:

I'm in US Eastern.

Same.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
US Central, here.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Alright so I have all the times here, thanks to Snark for compiling them.

GM Jimmy (US Pacific Time Zone)
Myself (US Eastern Time Zone)
Akratic Method (US Eastern Time Zone)
Samolety (Us Central Time Zone)
Gnooble (Us Eastern Time Zone)
ForeverBWFC (Greenwich Median Time)
Zenorefe (Greenwich Median Time)

To accommodate the Greenwich Median Timers, if we did the game at 12 pm Pacific coast time (so 2 pm central time, 3 pm East Coast time and 7pm Greenwich mean time assuming I got all my time conversions right), would that work for everyone?

Zenorefe
Oct 7, 2014
7pm sound fine for a intro character creation session. GMT4Life.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Sounds good. Are there any plans to do any transcripts/recordings for anyone else in the thread who is interested?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dr. Snark posted:

Sounds good. Are there any plans to do any transcripts/recordings for anyone else in the thread who is interested?

Yeah I was hoping I could record the session and post it to this thread (or make my own thread if BG preferred), just have to figure out how to record everyone over Skype.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I like Traveller, first time playing I got to waste a robot with a grenade launcher, steal secret corporate documents and escape on a hovercraft.

I am not available to play sorry.

Busy, also GMT+10.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Volmarias posted:

Hey bgreman, answer this or not, I'm still curious:

are the NPC actions purely AI controlled, or so you occasionally give them orders via SM for narrative reasons?

Saros posted:

He won't tell us that, all we've ever got is to treat all interactions like he's puppeting them.

Saros is right, treat all NPR interactions as if I'm in control of them, because I might be.

pthighs posted:

Just spent the last month and a half reading this entire thread. It's weird to have caught up. Excellent stuff!

Bgremen, please sign me up for the UN Navy waitlist. I would like someone likely to get a void ship command (I think that's high Crew Training skill?). Thanks!

two_step posted:

I have also spent a month or so catching up, this LP is awesome. bgreman please give me the next available naval officer. No preference on stats, though a survey skilled one would be neat.

You've both been added to the queue.

bgreman posted:

CMDR sparkmaster, CMDR GrimRevenant, CMDR LordNagash, and CMDR Space Shadowing are in a position to do this. It will be run off-site, via email, and brought back to the thread once completed. Please contact me at my forums username @ gmail if you're interested in participating.

Just a reminder that these officers have the option to participate in a short adventure if they like, which can then be brought back to the thread. If no one speaks up, I'll write something else.

I had planned to update tonight, but a number of things came up. Look for an update Saturday afternoon. Sorry for the sporadic updates, but I'm a busy person lately!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Anyone got a clue what my guy is doing and where he is? I signed up as a ground commander a while back. I know I was a garrison commander for a spell.

Got an urge to write something about something maybe.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Affi posted:

Anyone got a clue what my guy is doing and where he is? I signed up as a ground commander a while back. I know I was a garrison commander for a spell.

Affi

Date Entry
24th March 2030 Promoted to Colonel
24th March 2030 Assigned to 65th Low Tech Armour (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
18th July 2030 Relieved from command of 65th Low Tech Armour. Awaiting new orders on Earth
18th July 2030 Assigned to Callisto Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
23rd July 2031 Relieved from command of Callisto Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Callisto
23rd July 2031 Assigned to Iapetus Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
23rd July 2032 Relieved from command of Iapetus Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Iapetus
23rd July 2032 Assigned to Mimas Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
24th July 2034 Relieved from command of Mimas Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Mimas
24th July 2034 Assigned to 79th Mobile Infantry Battalion (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
29th July 2034 Relieved from command of 79th Mobile Infantry Battalion. Awaiting new orders on Earth
29th July 2034 Assigned to Mimas Garrison
25th July 2036 Relieved from command of Mimas Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Mimas
25th July 2036 Assigned to 92nd Mobile Infantry Battalion (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Space Shadowing is definetely in, I'll get in contact with you sometime today, bgreman.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Added Space posted:

Affi

Date Entry
24th March 2030 Promoted to Colonel
24th March 2030 Assigned to 65th Low Tech Armour (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
18th July 2030 Relieved from command of 65th Low Tech Armour. Awaiting new orders on Earth
18th July 2030 Assigned to Callisto Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
23rd July 2031 Relieved from command of Callisto Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Callisto
23rd July 2031 Assigned to Iapetus Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
23rd July 2032 Relieved from command of Iapetus Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Iapetus
23rd July 2032 Assigned to Mimas Garrison (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
24th July 2034 Relieved from command of Mimas Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Mimas
24th July 2034 Assigned to 79th Mobile Infantry Battalion (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
29th July 2034 Relieved from command of 79th Mobile Infantry Battalion. Awaiting new orders on Earth
29th July 2034 Assigned to Mimas Garrison
25th July 2036 Relieved from command of Mimas Garrison. Awaiting new orders on Mimas
25th July 2036 Assigned to 92nd Mobile Infantry Battalion (Ground Combat Bonus 15%)
Thanks!

And I guess the 92nd is on Earth? Goodie.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Affi posted:

Visiting http://www.bgreman.com/LP/Aurora/ColdestWarViewer/rawviewer.php can always tell you whats going on mechanically, including where officers are assigned.

You are in command of the 92nd Mobile Infantry Battalion, currently garrisoning Tranquility and serving as additional security around the Cornucopian Enclave of Saint's Rest.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gnooble posted:

Visiting http://www.bgreman.com/LP/Aurora/ColdestWarViewer/rawviewer.php can always tell you whats going on mechanically, including where officers are assigned.

You are in command of the 92nd Mobile Infantry Battalion, currently garrisoning Tranquility and serving as additional security around the Cornucopian Enclave of Saint's Rest.

Cool. Didn't know this.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I'll be up for some traveler from next week onwards, GMT +10. Someone has to defend us from the Neville.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Chiwie posted:

I'll be up for some traveler from next week onwards, GMT +10. Someone has to defend us from the Neville.

Good to know, I'll put you on the reserve list, at we have 6 right now and that's about the highest number I want to do for the first session. Also yes in this setting defense from Neville is the key!

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I'm stoked, Jimmy. It's going to be a ridiculously busy weekend for me and this will be a nice way to relax mid-hell.

Is there anything I should look up or do before Sunday?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Samolety posted:

I'm stoked, Jimmy. It's going to be a ridiculously busy weekend for me and this will be a nice way to relax mid-hell.

Is there anything I should look up or do before Sunday?

Nope, though I've taken the liberty of making a small setting primer you can look at if you'd like, its sets the scene for the alternate universe setting I set the game in as to avoid stepping on any future canon BG might make. Primer

Also here is the rulebook for Traveller for anyone playing so they can get a better look at it and understand the rules if they so wish. Skill checks are pretty simple, its just roll 2d6 and if the result is 8 or more, you succede, with accompanying modifiers to increase or decrease difficulty coming from skill and characteristic bonuses. Rules

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Sounds great! One last-minute question: What are we going to use to play this? Is it going to be Fantasy Grounds or something else?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dr. Snark posted:

Sounds great! One last-minute question: What are we going to use to play this? Is it going to be Fantasy Grounds or something else?

I was thinking Rolld20, its free so everyone will be able to use it!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

That's cool, I don't really know the different online P&P RPG things that are out there and that was the first one that came to mind after seeing Grey Hunter's videos.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Mindborn sound terrifying.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Does anyone know how to record from Roll D20? I want to preserve footage for people not in the game, but I'm unsure how to do so.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I know that Sintrapod and Just A Friend were part of some Roll20 LPs-you might want to try asking them.

Zenorefe
Oct 7, 2014
Roll20 is good, I've used it before. Not sure if you would be able to record audio/ chat, but you can check.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Zenorefe posted:

Roll20 is good, I've used it before. Not sure if you would be able to record audio/ chat, but you can check.

I got FRAPS to work, so I think we'll be good!

T Minus 2 hours fifteen minutes!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Joined Roll20; how will I find the game when it's time?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Akratic Method posted:

Joined Roll20; how will I find the game when it's time?

Here is the link for the game: https://app.roll20.net/join/940074/qjb6Yw

The start time will be in an hour and 50 minutes.

Also Roll d20 has a voice chat feature, but I'll include my Skype name in case the chat function acts up: jimmy4400nav

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Just wrapped up the Traveler session now. We all had a great time.

The short-hand version: Disaster strikes! But our band of motley heroes were able to save everyone, except for the people we shot.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

The short-hand version: Disaster strikes! But our band of motley heroes were able to save everyone, except for the people we shot.

Glad to hear it went well - sorry I had to bow out, but family intervened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr. Snark posted:

If you find time to post a synopsis, I'd read it.

• Locked thread