Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

boho posted:

What does it take to get an IP exemption? I requested one a week ago and they haven't responded at all.

4-8 weeks lately depending on how busy Amelinda is with RL stuff. She is supposed to do them once a month but it's been longish lately. Do not DO NOT bump your thread if it hasn't been at least a month yet, just pisses her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Do not DO NOT bump your thread if it hasn't been at least a month yet, just pisses her off.

Too late for that.

That is a ridiculous amount of turnaround time, especially since the server seems to be at an all-time low population wise. I quit Project 99 the first time because of the pissy, vindictive attitudes of the mod staff, so we'll have to see if they decide to take it out on me or not.

Oh, and I grouped with two separate people today who were blatantly dual-boxing, so I think enforcement has kind of slipped with along with the population.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
I was banned for "two boxing" about two months ago from an IP out of somewhere in one of the Carolina's. I live in Connecticut. I posted a thread about it in petitions and the views continuously go up but no one ever responds. It's pretty piss poor.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

hayden. posted:

What do you guys think would bring you back to play? I gave my accounts and poo poo away so I'm probably done unless they decided to increase experience 10x and the drop rate of rare items 10x.

The following changes would go a long way towards making the server a lot more fun to play on while preserving what was actually important about the "classic" experience. Obviously, this is just a thought experiment. None of these changes would ever be implemented by the people running the server, who can't see the forest for the trees.

Encourage grouping over soloing by giving groups an experience bonus that increases with each additional member.

Encourage the use of dungeons by giving them a massive experience bonus relative to outdoor zones.

Increase the base experience rate. This probably wouldn't need too much of a boost if grouping and dungeon crawling are sufficiently rewarded.

Get rid of class experience penalties.

Increase the drop rates of rare items. Double, maybe? This would take some tuning.

Introduce some kind of platinum sink at higher levels to curb inflation.

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I agree the server GMs have been bad and unhelpful for awhile, but it is worth mentioning that the development, guide, and forum moderation staff has really gotten more active recently. Sadly they can't do a lot of the things that need doing.

Feedbacker posted:

Encourage grouping over soloing by giving groups an experience bonus that increases with each additional member.

Encourage the use of dungeons by giving them a massive experience bonus relative to outdoor zones.

Increase the base experience rate. This probably wouldn't need too much of a boost if grouping and dungeon crawling are sufficiently rewarded.
There's actually some evidence that at least some of this should be done based on how fast people have been leveling up on EQMac. To be honest, the dungeon ZEMs are already pretty big, but people are lazy. I was getting the same XP killing a light blue in Unrest as I was an even con in Oasis but that doesn't stop people from going to Oasis.

quote:

Hopefully they drop these at or just after Velious release.

quote:

Increase the drop rates of rare items. Double, maybe? This would take some tuning.
Don't really think this is a good idea. Drops should be tuned in some cases but I think classic drop rates are fine, especially given how much item farming happens on this server compared to its relatively low population. Ultimately this would just cause items to be devalued.

quote:

Ban RMTers and delete the relevant plat, ban and item/plat delete more people who break the rules rather than just hand out weak suspensions, etc. would do pretty much the same thing without having to introduce something non-classic.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Feedbacker posted:

The following changes would go a long way towards making the server a lot more fun to play on while preserving what was actually important about the "classic" experience. Obviously, this is just a thought experiment. None of these changes would ever be implemented by the people running the server, who can't see the forest for the trees.

Most of these things happen(ed) in Velious, to be fair.

EQMac is pretty much where it's at these days for oldschool EQ, assuming you can live with Luclin and PoP. The GM staff is incredibly responsive and friendly.

e: Poor newbie just sold me an Ebon War Spear, Drolvarg Mantle, Charred Guardian Shield, Bloodstained Tunic, Nathsar Greatsword, and Silversilk Leggings for 175p (haggled him down from his asking price of 200). :psyduck:

boho fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 20, 2012

seal clubber
Jun 3, 2006
My favorite experience in EQ was around the summer of 2000. Me and a friend were cruising around one of the karana's when some bard came along and I said hi. He didn't answer so I proceeded to follow him around repeating over and over "Y U NO LIKE ME?" for a good 2 minutes while he tried to get away from me and my friend while my friend followed behind me. during this epic chase we aggro'd a few of those stupid birds and the dude died. We survived. It was glorious.

The trolling factor in that game was legendary.

seal clubber fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 20, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Yeah, I've been active the whole time since VD split up, there's just been a number of reasons I've held off. The biggest of these were the grading clusterfuck that is the end of the college semester and my wife and I having our first kid. I'm also really not a fan of mass applications - I prefer to get to know and be known on my own. I knew some of the people going over in the mass app were going to be problems so I'm glad to see they got sorted. I've been chatting with Skullmonkey a lot and will probably end up throwing an app your way in July after I get done with my last bit of summer traveling, though the recent crusade that some of the former-VD guys have been pursuing on the old VD boards to get people to join has been kind of obnoxious and off-putting.

VP is crazy yeah but it will be a lot better than it was the few times I went in with IB or VD (I won't have to constantly be ducking trains and dragging the bodies of people who couldn't). Doing stuff with small numbers is more fun too! I could totally have been 3%+ DPS on Silverwing, sorry I missed that. :(
Agreed and it's pretty sad. It's to the point where it can even infect well meaning guilds when they're exposed to the environment for long enough. Something that really pissed me off when I was in VD was when TMO and IB both got suspended and the VD leadership decided to take that as an opportunity to kill everything (ostensibly to show to TMO and whoever else that we were capable of doing so) despite mine and others' protests to do what BDA is doing now. Really happy to see that the folks at BDA aren't falling into that trap.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the mass application too. It was a compromise though. We had a big bunch of people who wanted to continue raiding together. I pushed for "just let them all app as individuals", but we did the mass app, then we created a temporary forum where we talked about them all individually anyways. That's where we kicked Krayze and Stephanie right out. A couple of other guys came close, but we talked to them and things have been great since. I think some of them forgot that they were indeed joining a new guild, and needed to let people get to know them before making jokes that could be taken the wrong way. By the same token, we lost a few members too. But then they turned around joined TMO a few hours later, so gently caress 'em. They were so hypocritical that it's not even funny at this point.

Skullmonkey is awesome. Just saying.

Sorry they're nagging on the old VD boards. The VP thing, well, we're about to post about it on our boards, because some people have the wrong impression. Right now, VP is just a pug thing some keyed members are playing with. BDA is not in VP by any official means. And when TMO comes back, if they want it to be train city, we won't be in there. I know that lets them control it, but it's not worth the headache for that childishness. They did get Silverwing down last night though! I was asleep :)

Yeah, I was really proud of what Sanluen did. It's been a little tough for some of our members to swallow (including myself at first), but now I love it. I've already gotten to where, sure, I want new phat lewtz, but I really don't care at the same time either. During the server repop Div beat us to Fay, fair-and-square, and I came to realize how good that was. I don't want to us to get everything. Working together and sharing is a lot more fun that rampant domination and loot hording. We just heard that as soon as a class gets made a full member in TMO, they get all their epic drops, hah. I don't know if they have that for all classes, but still. Just showing the greed level of their leadership. But what do I know, I'm a casual scrub!

I can tell you that GMs have told us how great the past few days have been.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah VP was fun last night. Silverwing with 20ish and no bards is pretty tight given you can no longer dodge the AEs. We did get one clean pull on Phara Dar to the zone in past Hoshkar (which requires a bit of luck) but people weren't really ready to go and most DPS ended up stunned for the majority of the fight. We'll be giving it a go again tonight so hopefully a Crown of Rile or something drops and we can see everyone's inner lootwhore come out and get mad over losing rolls to a Ranger or someone who ends up selling their account or something similarly hilarious.

quote:

My favorite experience in EQ was around the summer of 2000. Me and a friend were cruising around one of the karana's when some bard came along and I said hi. He didn't answer so I proceeded to follow him around repeating over and over "Y U NO LIKE ME?" for a good 2 minutes while he tried to get away from me and my friend while my friend followed behind me. during this epic chase we aggro'd a few of those stupid birds and the dude died. We survived. It was glorious.

The trolling factor in that game was legendary.
Haha, this is pretty amazing. The best part is that a Bard couldn't get away from you in a zone like the Karanas. I used to do similar things to people in Blackburrow - I would follow them around and spam sit/stand on top of them. On live (unlike on p99) it would play the animations as fast as you could press CTRL+S and people would get mad that they were being humped and try to move away, sometimes moving into packs of gnolls and training themselves.

seal clubber
Jun 3, 2006

Haha, this is pretty amazing. The best part is that a Bard couldn't get away from you in a zone like the Karanas. I used to do similar things to people in Blackburrow - I would follow them around and spam sit/stand on top of them. On live (unlike on p99) it would play the animations as fast as you could press CTRL+S and people would get mad that they were being humped and try to move away, sometimes moving into packs of gnolls and training themselves.

We probably had sow and I remember the guy running around like he was somewhat retarded.

also HAHA gently caress yes about the sit/stand. No word of a lie I would do that at a furious pace in front of people meding. The best part was it made a really annoying sound.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

seal clubber posted:

The best part was it made a really annoying sound.

"Swish swish swish swish swish"

Creative use of boredom right there :v:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Haha, I'm dumb.

I went to hand in the four components to get the talisman (3 steps from completion) for the Life Leech quest and the NPC started walking away as I hit the GIVE button.

Just as he is walking away, I had an item on my cursor that looked just like the 4th component I had given to the NPC. For some reason my late-night logic declared because he started walking away it had rejected the 4th component.

So I ran after him and gave him the item I had on my cursor. :downs:

I didn't realize till 5 min later that it wasn't a bug I had encountered but... gently caress THIS GAY rear end GAME /q

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

Haha, I'm dumb.

This story is classic you. Don't ever change man.

PS: Let me know when you're ready for monstrous zombie again :D

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
Maybe the GMs will give you back your item? Harharharharharharhar

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

So, I just created a character and have been killing the poo poo out of rats in the newbie area of Qeynos. I tried to go to South Qeynos to buy a backpack, but once I zoned, I got mixed up and accidentally turned around and zoned back into North Qeynos. I felt like a newbie again :allears:

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Do we have an IRC for this?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some people hang out in the P1999 IRC but there's no goon-only channel that's currently active: irc.eqemulator.net, #Project1999

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Wondermoose posted:

Do we have an IRC for this?

In addition, "goons" on #Project1999 is usually a reference to guild members of <The Mystical Order>, not necessarily posters on the SomethingAwful forums. I rarely hang out in irc these days, but hopefully that might avoid some confusion if you see some mention of it there.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks for the info. I haven't played since before they implemented Kunark over a year ago. How much are Dark Reavers going for these days?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ugh just got done grinding through level 30 which must have been a hell level. Some dude tried to horn in on my exp spot earlier today and got killed despite being a twink.

My memory isnt the best, but I dont remember hitting this hard on live. Like I only recall being able to do (weapon damage * 2) + damage bonus as a max hit.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've worked hard the last two days and now have everything but the prickly pear.

Just need to find a duo partner to kill a few icy terrors in perma, then the big mutha fuckin mummy.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
Are there good reasons to play this even as someone who never played EQ originally?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

SoleilEquil posted:

Are there good reasons to play this even as someone who never played EQ originally?

Maybe if you are a real masochist gamer, but I doubt too many people would put up with this game without the heavy dose of nostalgia.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lakedaimon posted:

Ugh just got done grinding through level 30 which must have been a hell level. Some dude tried to horn in on my exp spot earlier today and got killed despite being a twink.

My memory isnt the best, but I dont remember hitting this hard on live. Like I only recall being able to do (weapon damage * 2) + damage bonus as a max hit.

That's the formula for the "magic number" or modal damage (most often occurring amount of damage you'll hit for). After a lot of research, the devs have implemented the max damage multiplier for 1-50 like this:
(STR + OFF) / 100
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43565

There's some more info and links to discussion here, though some of it is a bit out of date: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#Melee_Combat_and_Damage

Once you get to 51 as a monk/war/rog you get a new damage table and max damage calculation which allows for even bigger hits:

Kanras posted:

Max damage multiplier from 51+ is determined by (PWR / PWR_CAP) * DMG_TABLE (simplified)
PWR is the portion of displayed ATK that relates to damage calculation after a hit has successfully landed. The other portion of displayed ATK is ACC which relates to your chance to hit. Yes, STR has an impact on PWR.

SoleilEquil posted:

It will be rough for sure but there is plenty to enjoy if you can get over the unfamiliar interface, the grind, and lack of direction. Classic EQ plays much more like a MUD or old open-world CRPG than a contemporary MMO. You have little to no direction on what to do or where to go other than a few bits of dialogue from NPCs. There are no maps or quest indicators or other such things that would break immersion - instead you have roads, signs, placards, and your own eyes. There's limited fast travel (two classes can group teleport to limited locations) and no mounts. If you want to find out if an NPC has a quest for you, you can hail them (or look up quests on allakhazam or other such sites). Game mechanics are largely hidden from you. You will have general bits of info about your gear but nothing that is going to really tell you how different items compare unless you parse your combat data. Good loot is rare but extremely powerful and there are almost no level limits on gear (weapon procs and item click effects are the only thing level limited). Most classes cannot solo effectively, especially untwinked, for more than the first 10-20 levels. Death sets you back hours of XP and leaves you naked at your bind point.

All of these things together result in a game where you really have to rely on other players and communal knowledge in general in order to succeed, which is pretty unique in the fantasy MMO world these days.

moolchaba posted:

I've worked hard the last two days and now have everything but the prickly pear.

Just need to find a duo partner to kill a few icy terrors in perma, then the big mutha fuckin mummy.
When are you going to be online to do this? I'm happy to run out again assuming we can meet up.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

When are you going to be online to do this? I'm happy to run out again assuming we can meet up.

I'm gonna park Sirduh down in perma tonight, prob around 7-8pm EST. Then, if all goes well, head out to Rathe Mountains to take out mumzilla.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 24, 2012

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

Maybe if you are a real masochist gamer, but I doubt too many people would put up with this game without the heavy dose of nostalgia.

That bad, huh? I might give it a shot if I'm bored here one day.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SoleilEquil posted:

It would certainly give you an idea of how easy mode the poo poo is nowadays.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

SoleilEquil posted:

That bad, huh? I might give it a shot if I'm bored here one day.

Well the price is certainly right, and you never know you may love it. I just remember not being able to get any of my friends to play it past about level 15, and thats when the game was new and considered the big new thing.

------

Now im level 31 and looking for new xp spots. Id prefer something close to Cabilis, any suggestions?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

That's the formula for the "magic number" or modal damage (most often occurring amount of damage you'll hit for). After a lot of research, the devs have implemented the max damage multiplier for 1-50 like this:
(STR + OFF) / 100
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43565

There's some more info and links to discussion here, though some of it is a bit out of date: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#Melee_Combat_and_Damage

Man, so what does STR really mean for leveling up? Do ogres and trolls really have that big of an advantage?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Noah posted:

Man, so what does STR really mean for leveling up? Do ogres and trolls really have that big of an advantage?
The max hit disparity is noticeable but doesn't really increase DPS by all that much unless you're a rogue (backstab benefits much more from high STR than normal melee attacks due to how the multipliers work); that said Ogres Trolls and Barbs do have a significant stat advantage as melee classes, especially STA. It's one of the reasons that they get XP penalties (Troll -20%, Ogre -15%, Barb -5%). For warriors, at least, this is somewhat offset by low dex (tough to hold aggro with no procs) but overall it's an advantage that doesn't really get evened out by gear until Velious, when STA comes on tons of gear for all classes and you can get a primal weapon that adds 100 to everything else.

Lakedaimon posted:

Now im level 31 and looking for new xp spots. Id prefer something close to Cabilis, any suggestions?
At that level range I've seen the most groups available in Mistmoore, but you have pretty much zero options for friendly banking and shopping on Faydwer, though as a monk it's still doable with sneak and FD.

Zones in that level range that are close to Cabilis: OT, Dalnir, Nurga, and FM, though none of them seem to be very popular for groups. OT has people in it but it's mostly caster/bard soloers. OT has a bad ZEM anyway though so I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.

Personally I'd just hitch a ride to Faydwer, catch a bind at the wiz spires in GFay, and go to Mistmoore. GY/Pit and then Castle Entrance groups were great XP for my on my iks monk until 37 or so, and killing in MM has the added bonus of getting you non-KOS with Kunark dragons (no Gorenaire surprises running across DL until you start killing her pals on raids). If you want a ride over just hit me up - my wiz has an OT hammer so it's easy to get to the Cabilis area.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

I'm gonna park Sirduh down in perma tonight, prob around 7-8pm EST. Then, if all goes well, head out to Rathe Mountains to take out mumzilla.

/ all Sirduh
There are no players in Everquest that match those who filters.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

/ all Sirduh
There are no players in Everquest that match those who filters.

Almost home. ETA 15 min.

Do you need a ride to WK?

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 25, 2012

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

Almost home. ETA 15 min.

Do you need a ride to WK?

Yeah, running my twink (Berak) to EC to get my stuff back on my monk also if you have a character over there.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 25, 2012

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

At that level range I've seen the most groups available in Mistmoore, but you have pretty much zero options for friendly banking and shopping on Faydwer, though as a monk it's still doable with sneak and FD.

Zones in that level range that are close to Cabilis: OT, Dalnir, Nurga, and FM, though none of them seem to be very popular for groups. OT has people in it but it's mostly caster/bard soloers. OT has a bad ZEM anyway though so I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.

Personally I'd just hitch a ride to Faydwer, catch a bind at the wiz spires in GFay, and go to Mistmoore. GY/Pit and then Castle Entrance groups were great XP for my on my iks monk until 37 or so, and killing in MM has the added bonus of getting you non-KOS with Kunark dragons (no Gorenaire surprises running across DL until you start killing her pals on raids). If you want a ride over just hit me up - my wiz has an OT hammer so it's easy to get to the Cabilis area.

Ive been having some surprising luck finding deep blues in Swamp of No Hope of all places, but that probably wont last another level. I tried soloing at the entrance to Dalnir, but I couldnt kill the cleric npcs, which seem to always be up maybe ill try again after I ding. So OT really has an exp penalty? that sucks because that was on my list of places to try when I got a couple more levels. Mistmoore is interesting, but man Faydwer would be a drag. Eventually ill probably camp the crap out of the yeti caves in the Dreadlands, but that wont be for a while yet.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

Ive been having some surprising luck finding deep blues in Swamp of No Hope of all places, but that probably wont last another level. I tried soloing at the entrance to Dalnir, but I couldnt kill the cleric npcs, which seem to always be up maybe ill try again after I ding.

Swamp of No Hope is one of my favorite (and least appreciated) newbie zones in the game. There are a number of named leeches, Iksar, and Frogloks in the 15-25 level range that roam the zone and have very rewarding drops. Soblohg, a 26 warrior mob, has a relatively predictable spawn cycle in the Northern half of the zone and can drop gems that sell very well to players in East Commonlands.

As for Dalnir, the dungeon itself is a difficult one for the 25-35 level range, but has become slightly easier with the fixes to mob pathing in the most recent server patch. Crescent armor (linked here: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Crescent_Armor_Set) is a great armor set for monks that I could help you acquire with minimal effort on your monk. /tell Skullmonkey next time you're in the area and we'll go there together to round out some of your armor slots.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Crested pants are great, and you'll get most of the rest of the set while waiting for some to drop!

OT doesn't have a penalty per se but it does have the standard outdoor ZEM, aka, the lowest ZEM there is. P99 ZEMs have never been published, but it's something close to .7 for non-newbie outdoor zones and 1.2+ for most dungeons. Traditionally, HHK, Crushbone, UGuk, SolA, Kurns, and Unrest have had among the highest ZEMs followed by MM, LGuk, SolB, Perma, HS, Chardok, CoM, etc. KC has a low ZEM for a "dungeon" but it's still better than most outdoor zones. Newbie zones and city zones have higher ZEMs than normal outdoor zones also.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Swamp of No Hope is one of my favorite (and least appreciated) newbie zones in the game. There are a number of named leeches, Iksar, and Frogloks in the 15-25 level range that roam the zone and have very rewarding drops. Soblohg, a 26 warrior mob, has a relatively predictable spawn cycle in the Northern half of the zone and can drop gems that sell very well to players in East Commonlands.

As for Dalnir, the dungeon itself is a difficult one for the 25-35 level range, but has become slightly easier with the fixes to mob pathing in the most recent server patch. Crescent armor (linked here: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Crescent_Armor_Set) is a great armor set for monks that I could help you acquire with minimal effort on your monk. /tell Skullmonkey next time you're in the area and we'll go there together to round out some of your armor slots.

Since I was already in zone I found Soblohg like 4 times but no drops other than more coin than usual. Ive killed all sorts of named and never got anything better than a 4 plat Topaz. Havent seen Sob spawn again lately, does he have a PH or do I need to check the western part of zone too?

Ok I think I figured it out, but 12 or so kills now and still no gems :(

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 25, 2012

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

The max hit disparity is noticeable but doesn't really increase DPS by all that much unless you're a rogue (backstab benefits much more from high STR than normal melee attacks due to how the multipliers work); that said Ogres Trolls and Barbs do have a significant stat advantage as melee classes, especially STA. It's one of the reasons that they get XP penalties (Troll -20%, Ogre -15%, Barb -5%). For warriors, at least, this is somewhat offset by low dex (tough to hold aggro with no procs) but overall it's an advantage that doesn't really get evened out by gear until Velious, when STA comes on tons of gear for all classes and you can get a primal weapon that adds 100 to everything else.

So for a shadow knight, really the best stat to pump would be STA, even for the big races.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Noah posted:

So for a shadow knight, really the best stat to pump would be STA, even for the big races.

Pretty much all of the min-maxers will tell you to pump STA regardless of your class. You'll max out your "important" stats at max-level with gear and buffs on raids, which is what they're usually focused on. So it's not so much that pumping STA is a game changer, but more of "that's all that's left".

That of course, ignores the benefits of having higher "important" stats earlier in the game, before you get gear. It's pretty easy to twink in this game though, with no level restrictions on gear, and everything that isn't BiS is cheap as hell since content is so stale.

Extra health is of course helpful too at low levels, so STA is always a good choice.

As you play though, you'll realize a few things about stats. One, this game is more about buffs. +2 to some stat means nothing when you get a buff that adds 40 of it. As a melee, having more str is nice, but it rarely, if ever, is going to be the determining factor in a fight. Haste and good weapons is all that matters. I'm ignorant of casters, but I've heard that gear really is just a larger mana pool for them, and they're typically not too bad off naked.

Vanilla EQ is very, very stingy on stats on gear, until raids. And then it's very very spread out. This of course changes as expansions come out, with mudflation and removal of 255 stat cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

Well the price is certainly right, and you never know you may love it. I just remember not being able to get any of my friends to play it past about level 15, and thats when the game was new and considered the big new thing.

------

Well it certainly is the best price for trying something out... may be able to set up and jump on it this upcoming weekend when I have some free time. Everything has been boring me recently due to it all being such a "blitz to end-game now ram your face into your keyboard until you kill ULTRABOSS on legendary mode or whatever excuse of re-hashing content we came up with" game strategy.

I remember a friend quite literally not leaving his house for three days out of the blue when it first came out (neighborhood kids playing) and we all thought he died.

• Locked thread