Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Logged back on tonight after Fippy on live was disappointingly dead. I'm thinking about making a new Bard, but I also have a 9 Warrior and 12 Enchanter in Faydark. You can reach me on Chronomancer, Becauseguise, or Setar (my new Bard, still flexible in where I can start).

boho fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If anyone has a set of Mistmoore Battle Drums or Lute of the Gypsy Princess I'd love to buy em off you. I've got about 200p spread across two characters on Faydark.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Just grabbed some drums for ya. Catch up with me when you log on later, might have a lute by then too.

That's awesome, thanks! Which of your characters should I send a tell to?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

xZAOx posted:

We're hoping when TMO returns they'll continue the attitude of leaving mobs up and joint raids.

Ha! Yeah right. The only chance of a catass guild dialing back its bullshit is if a decent number quit, or otherwise have the poopsock spell broken, during their ban.

I've never seen a high-end raid guild be anything other than complete twats when it came to server relations and contested content... but I guess that's what you have to do if you want to be a high-end raid guild.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
What does it take to get an IP exemption? I requested one a week ago and they haven't responded at all.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Do not DO NOT bump your thread if it hasn't been at least a month yet, just pisses her off.

Too late for that.

That is a ridiculous amount of turnaround time, especially since the server seems to be at an all-time low population wise. I quit Project 99 the first time because of the pissy, vindictive attitudes of the mod staff, so we'll have to see if they decide to take it out on me or not.

Oh, and I grouped with two separate people today who were blatantly dual-boxing, so I think enforcement has kind of slipped with along with the population.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Feedbacker posted:

The following changes would go a long way towards making the server a lot more fun to play on while preserving what was actually important about the "classic" experience. Obviously, this is just a thought experiment. None of these changes would ever be implemented by the people running the server, who can't see the forest for the trees.

Encourage grouping over soloing by giving groups an experience bonus that increases with each additional member.

Encourage the use of dungeons by giving them a massive experience bonus relative to outdoor zones.

Increase the base experience rate. This probably wouldn't need too much of a boost if grouping and dungeon crawling are sufficiently rewarded.

Get rid of class experience penalties.

Increase the drop rates of rare items. Double, maybe? This would take some tuning.

Introduce some kind of platinum sink at higher levels to curb inflation.

Most of these things happen(ed) in Velious, to be fair.

EQMac is pretty much where it's at these days for oldschool EQ, assuming you can live with Luclin and PoP. The GM staff is incredibly responsive and friendly.

e: Poor newbie just sold me an Ebon War Spear, Drolvarg Mantle, Charred Guardian Shield, Bloodstained Tunic, Nathsar Greatsword, and Silversilk Leggings for 175p (haggled him down from his asking price of 200). :psyduck:

boho fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 20, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Jesus, the double XP weekend really illustrated how slow XP is. I managed to struggle to 15 on my Bard but after a vacation I'm finding it hard to get back into things, especially since the idea of the learning curve for swarm kiting on P99 is so intimidating (and I'm not 18 for the second AOE).

Let me offer some advice to anyone starting:

Do not go to loving Oasis. It is the most boring zone in the game and I'm not sure why everyone congregates there. Get your rear end to Unrest if at all possible.

Think really carefully before starting in Qeynos. It's probably my favorite zone to start in, but you don't really realize how isolated it is until Blackburrow XP dries up. Because of this, no one actually seems to start there. /who all blackburrow returns 1-3 results on average.

Apply for IP exemptions immediately upon starting if there is even the slightest chance that you will play with someone from the same location. The guides on P99 are great. The programmers are relatively snappy with updates. Everyone else is just godawful. It really does take 4-8 weeks to get an exemption for some inscrutable reason. Just kidding, it's easily explained: the idiot that approves them is just loving lazy.

Do not make a tank unless you have access to Platinum Fire Wedding Rings. (Exception: You play an Ogre or Troll). The kindness of goons will probably get you a pair, but if you can't get some, don't try to tank as anything other than an Ogre/Troll until you save your pennies and buy some/beg for some. Your HP is just way too low otherwise, and Clerics are drat rare. Not to say Clerics are the only healers, mind you, but they're probably the only ones that can keep up with the tiny margin of error your low HP causes early on.

I can't think of anything else, really. Livejournal post: I'm thinking about (re?)rolling a Wizard. They're mysteriously rare. If I do, I'll have some Bard-appropriate (and possibly applicable to other classes) gear for another goon Bard. Also, potential income from ports.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Well, they still haven't approved my multiple-IP request. Or even commented on it.

I learned today that it's possible to play EQ Mac (the permanently locked in PoP pre-Rathe Council nerf server) on a PC. And it's free. And its population is competitive with P99's.

So, when it comes to getting my free classic EQ fix, I'm probably going to be doing it on EQ Mac (unless P99 gets around to giving me an exemption soon). Assuming they don't, I'll be sure to hand off my gear to a needy goon or otherwise return it to whoever's dishing out the welcome packages.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Go into eqclient.ini and turn NewUI to TRUE. Seeing the original stuff is great, but it's hella unstable unless you're using the Luclin (NewUI) one.

blatman posted:

If you happen to figure out how to make the Bazaar usable on PC EQMac please let me know, it's a pretty big dealbreaker.
The Bazaar is working fine for me. What's the problem you're having?

Other tips from the install guide:

quote:

11. IMPORTANT: Edit eqclient.ini NewUI=TRUE instead of NewUI=FALSE (This removes the Classic and Velious UI in favor of the Luclin UI, however, the client is much more stable and actually 100% playable as opposed to playing with the older UIs. My suggestion: try the old UIs for a little bit for nostalgia purposes, but inevitably you should switch to Luclin UI for full game functionality! )

11. (Optional): Rename eqtheme.mp3, combattheme1.mp3, combattheme2.mp3, combattheme3.mp3, deaththeme.mp3, lavastorm.mp3, guk.mp3, and nektulos.mp3 to have the original classic MIDI versions restored!

12. (Optional): Go to eqclient.ini, and change LOADARMOR17 through LOADARMOR23 from =FALSE to =TRUE. Change LoadVeliousArmorsWithLuclin=FALSE to LoadVeliousArmorsWithLuclin=TRUE (This will allow you to see Velious armor skins)

Source: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=559490&postcount=110

boho fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 6, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

blatman posted:

All of my bazaar searches are unusable, I can't click on any of the results or read any of the results or search for vendors, and all of the prices are just massive strings of numbers extending into forever.

Ohhh OK, I see the problem you're having now. Sorry, I know of no fix for that. It would explain why I get so many "browsing" visitors when I'm in /trader, though.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone here play on ezserver? I tried p99 and found that I can't stand being a newbie again, so I switched to ez and never looked back.

No, what's it like? The more I play EQMac or p99 the more I realize my goal is to explore the game world I was always in awe of, and less to spend 200 hours hitting the level cap.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

moolchaba posted:

If you are going to talk about different emu servers, can you at least reference the particular server your talking about in every post that has nothing to do with the p99 server?

Faglords.

Read the very first word of the post he's quoting. They're talking about EQ Live.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I know I have a Bard in the teens but I might reroll Iksar Necro, XP penalty be damned.

fake e: Pulled out my Titanium box all :smugdog: and discovered Disc 1 was missing.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

1024x768 posted:

How dumb would I be to start an enchanter as my first character here?

Edit: Or maybe a cleric? I'm still leaning enchanter.

Just be an Enchanter.

Maybe I'll make a Wizard instead. As a Wizard you occasionally stand up and halve a mob's HP in one or two spells, then sit back down and go AFK. If the group bitches at you, you just say you were OOM. But really as long as you blow something the gently caress up every few minutes no one is going to question you. It's the ultimate :effort: class.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Holy poo poo there are over 700 players online at 3:13 EST on a Wednesday.

Anyway, made a new Iksar Necro named Turnhoff.

I've also got quite a few characters over on Faydark: 9 SK (Deathgrip), 12 Enchanter (Chronomancer), 15 Bard (Setar).

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If anyone has some SK gear and is on Faydark, please send Deathgrip or Turnhoff a tell (or PM me). I've got 300p to play with. Something as simple as Small Banded would help since I've still got some empty slots (and need to replace this small bronze which is way too heavy for me).

Sketched posted:

Anyone who has mained these classes on this server have anything to say?

Travel: It's hard unless you're a Wizard or Druid. Evil classes/races will find it especially hard.

Shaman: If you want to solo you'll want to be Ogre for frontal stun immunity.

Necro: You're not going to raid anyway, so remove that concern. Shaman can solo Big Things easier than Necros, Necros can solo the other 99% better than Shamans.

Enchanter: A really good, easily frustrated class. Two resists in a row and it's curtains, plus you don't have get out of death free cards like a Necro.

Druid: Easiest overall solo class in the game. Makes bank selling buffs/ports.

Monk: Booorrrinnnggg.

e:

xZAOx posted:

-Bards are great solo'ers (swarming), great travelers (selos), but /melody is not in game, so be prepared to kill your hands/wrists. Also you have to find a zone that doesn't have many other people exp'ing in, or else you're being a huge dick.

Note you can write macros that make Bards much less agonizing to play. I wouldn't want to use macros while trying to solo kite but it makes general grouping way easier.

boho fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 23, 2013

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I had also long heard that the frontal stun immunity doesn't really work on here. As such I made my Sham Troll for the regen (and the ability to wear plate which Iksar's lack.) Did they fix the frontal immunity? Is it such a boon over regen that it would be worth rerolling at level 12?

It works fine AFAIK. You can't get stunned if hit from the front. You can still be interrupted because Channeling, but you can't be hard stunned.

Yes, stun immunity trumps regen really, really hard. You can find items with regen. You can cast spells that grant regen. You can't acquire frontal stun immunity after creation.

Ogre is easily the best race for any class it can play (granted they can only be 3 classes). Unfortunately they're ugly as gently caress. My SK is a Dark Elf, FWIW.

boho fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 24, 2013

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If anyone is planning a trip from Faydark to somewhere around Cabilis, would you mind transferring some stuff for me? It's easy to forget how isolated Kunark can be...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Anyone on Blue have a Gloomwater Harpoon or similarly decent lowbie Rogue mainhand? I've got up to 300p to spend.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
What are the pros and cons of Wizards versus Mages in this era?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Cool, thanks for the writeup. Being employed I doubt raiding is in my future, so Mage sounds like a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Pillow Armadillo posted:

You guys should try Red. Chill people and I need to level cleric. Pocket cleric go make a monk or something and hit me up on Skullmonkey

If I wanted to play EQ with under a hundred people, I'd be on Shards of Dalaya.

• Locked thread