Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I guess you can toss me on. Gronimo (52 monk). I just got accepted to a masters in engineering program and I got a new job recently, so I won't be on much. Feel free to hit me up if you see me on tho.

edit: I removed the name of my bard because he is going to be used by a friend for tracking purposes and will probably not respond to joo .

ohno fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

This. When I quit my job last February, I got some twink gear up and started playing a bard. About 10 days later, he was level 45. It's all about the solo aoe kiting if you want easy bard exp. It probably took me 50+ deaths to figure out what I was doing, which is why you want to start at a low level. But once ou master the technique, levels start flying by.

At one point, I logged into the OT really erly in the morning, pulled drat near the entire zone, and dinged 34 & 35.

That was February, my bard is still level 45. Gotta love employment!

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Here's an OT bard pull screenshot. Lots of mobs, but each pull takes quite a while to kill. Casters Mobs and SOW mobs suck, but bards can eventually dispell.

EQ goes to a whole new level of fun when you toss 2 or 3 good bards together (in an empty zone).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

He's just talking about PP (Platinum Pieces), the main game currency piece.

10 copper = 1 silver, 10 silver = 1 gold, 10 gold = 1 plat.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

moolchaba posted:

Prior to this I accidentally used my OT Hammer trying to kill a mob and had to be gated back

Ohhh yea, I've definitely pulled this smooth move before. Mine was along the lines of "Last call to sky, OT hammer spot". I got there, got up to sky, looted my key corpse, made it to the correct island, engaged boss mob ... poof, right back to OT!

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

Uh, what? Thought OT hammers, like gate, ports, etc, didn't work in Sky...

Huh, yea, I must be mixed up. But I've definitely OT'd on accident at very inopportune moments.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Lakedaimon posted:

anyone here done the Jboots MQ before?

I did the jboots MQ on my P1999 monk 8 months ago or so, when he was around level 20. It worked like normal, and then I proceeded to fear kite giants until "ding 50".

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Level 1 gnome necro race, Akanon to Erudin, no buffs or ports.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about to install P99 again. I'll be on as either Gronimo (53 iksar monk) or Topsy (46 HE bard). I'll definitely join the goon guild.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I used to rock a really cool modified velious UI. Showed all of my bags slots without having to bind each spot to a hotkey or open my inventory. Anyone have access to this UI file?

Edit: I've been playing a decent bit again. Took my bard Topsy from 45 to 54 this last week. Got a Pegassus cloak this AM by paying a level 22 necro 300pp to kill the trigger and should hit 55 at some point today.

Edit2: Think I found it here. I'll test it out after work.

ohno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Noway! That's next week.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

You can pretty much guarantee that's what will happen. TMO is *massive*. Absolutely loving *massive*. Many of their members have several 60s, and they leave various alts and bought accounts at multiple gods, so they can log in wherever, whenever. They field multiple raid forces. Let that sink in.

So when Velious hits? You can absolutely loving be assured that they'll run multiple factions, at least for a while. I hope most people like..well...nothing for the first 4-5 months, then after that, maybe PoG armor you can get without a ton of a training.

This will definitely happen. I recently joined TMO and there are armies of level 60 alts - some have 4+. You can blame this on character trading via in game money. Kill a hard boss mob, sell some loot for 200k+, buy a level 55+ character. It's simply too easy to stack up on high level alts with access to lots of PP. I can't complain too much, because I recently sold a higher level monk that I wasn't playing for the PP boost. But, I still wish this practice was outlawed just like RMT is.

The new variance system is broken, but that's not surprising. It can only add extra time to a mobs window. In my opinion, variance on the shorter end of the time frame would be far more beneficial to the server. There would be more loot to go around and potentially too many mobs for TMO/FE to keep a tracker on at all times.

Rogean seems to like the server drama. Anytime people talk about rotating mobs, it always goes back to "rise (or stoop) to their level in order to compete". Currently, TMO doesn't want FE to gear up and FE has to gear up to compete with TMO, so the standard grid lock ensues.

On the plus side, there are lots of people who simply hate TMO. This means that there should always be some sort of competition for mobs. I personally wish there were a few more guilds like FE, because competition is what makes this stuff fun.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Bard kiting definitely works well on this server. You really are only limited by the number of people in zone - it's not nice to take ALL the mobs.

I saw Spud holding down a solid solo AOE kite in BW this evening while i was camping Nezekezena. I'm out of practice myself, most of my experience 50+ came from a duo kite.

Spudsly posted:

Get Jboots or sow or whatever, just for consistency sake, being able to focus on your dots the whole time and getting an extra refresh attempt..

I really only used my jboots to get away from the mobs during a kite, generally to respond to a tell. You can set an auto strafe run up and outrun mobs without any run speed modifier.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Some posters named Naez and 10man are (somehow) redirecting people on the p99 forums right now. Redirects to a Unity EQ Browser, but people are claiming it is a keylogger. I'd avoid those forums until the problem is fixed, to protect your precious pixels.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

It looks like the DDOS attacks were coming from someone that was banned from the server and started the competing Sleeper server named Toop or Kegz.

Here is a run down on this Toop feller (from this p99 drama filled thread: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1053057&highlight=toop#post1053057)

BASIC RUNDOWN OF TOOP AND THE SLEEPER:

Toop was the guild leader of peacepipe on p99, Peace pipe was commonly known to house the drug addled scumbags of p99. That being said, they also had some pretty cool people as well.

Toop was banned for cheating on p99, utilizing one of the many prohibited 3rd party programs clearly stated to the playerbase to NOT USE.

Toop starts work on the Sleeper Server, which is a rip off the PEQ code. If you were to picture a tree, the PEQ code is the trunk where servers like p99, ez server, Legacy of zek are all the branches.

Needless to say, p99 is not even finished development wise, but close enough to where no one gives a poo poo. It has been in constant development for 5ish years.

The Sleeper Server, is utilizing the same code base as p99, 5 years into the past. Which means their server is obviously no where close to an actual realistic version of Velious, let alone the previous 2 expansions. It simply isn't finished, and buggy as poo poo.

Why does this matter?

They released a server which was cool in the beginning. I even tried it out. Then I watched the development take a poo poo on the community, not fix HIGH priority issues, and claim classic legitimacy of things based solely off memory and not facts.

They edit peoples posts on the forums for damage control, and ban anyone that speaks out against them. Rogean is the Dali lama where Toop is a cross breed between Saddam Hussein and Hitler.

Be grateful that this staff is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than any other project out at the moment, and for free~

-----

Edit - Since all of this came to light, there have not been any DDoS attacks on the server.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Looks right to me, what is wrong about this?

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Inimicul posted:

As annoying as variance is, I have to admit it's a better scenario. It's more classic and cuts down on the FTE poo poo.

I was pleased to check BWA site and find some people still playing that I remembered from before.

I agree - overall extended variance works well. Anyone who is willing to track a mob has a chance at fielding a raid force and killing the mob, and late window poop socking was drastically reduced. Certain mobs are still socked (mainly VS) because guilds can form exp groups and hope the boss spawns. Variance in VP is kind of pointless because TMO is the only guild who goes in there. Maybe more guilds will go in there if the training issue ever gets resolved. However, I think Rogean likes the drama and has this in place so guilds can eventually "defend" Kerafyrm (the sleeper) from getting woken. Guilds will probably have to join the train wars if they want to compete for the 6 VP dragons. I'm really not sure why more guild alliances aren't formed to compete with the TMO dominance - external guild cooperation is poor on P99.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Node posted:

Would it really be that bad to have a GM enforced raid calender?

I think it would be terrible if the GMs enforced a raid calendar, plus it would be a pain the the rear end for the GMs to enforce. I don't ever see a scenario where the GMs will want to take on more responsibilities. In my opinion, the rush to get mobs is 1/2 the fun and I like that Rogean left it up to the community to decide how mob splits are handled. Some rotations have worked in the past and some still do. TMO doesn't really have a reason to participate in a rotation when other guilds can't compete on a regular basis and rarely form alliances/merge. Being incapable or unwilling to compete on level ground is a poor excuse to implement a rotation.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

iNteg posted:

Level ground my rear end, there is no level ground. Otherwise the glitching, rule lawyering and other shady poo poo outside the game (doxxing other guilds leaders and before it was banned, posting RL info) that should have earned players perma bans, would have gotten them perma banned. Jeremy managed to not get banned after being shown and admitting to exploiting an IP exemption.

And these are the little bullshits that happen on both sides of the playing field I'm sure, but there is most def. not a level playing ground when it comes to this. A forced rotation sucks, but I'd rather have a forced rotation than be screwed out of mobs because people can exploit rules set in place to try to encourage fair play.

I've never seen Jeremy abuse the IP exemption, but I did see that video where a TMO cleric abused the IP exemption on the ledge in VP (which earned him a 2 week suspension I believe). Although that poo poo was shady, I agree with the punishment and don't think he deserved a ban. I have seen other TMO members train and receive similar punishments, and they usually learn their lesson. Also, the GMs have stated there are not really perma bans - reasonable people are aloud to talk to the staff after a certain amount of time to gain access back to the game, or their characters in less severe cases. Only a few people have received perma bans and I believe it is because the GMs hate them on a personal level. But overall I agree, people on both sides of the coin do shady things and deserved to be punished for those actions. A recent example...

This morning in Hate, an FE member pulled Inny and a large train to the zone with only 4 FE members in the zone (there is a great set of fraps). Taken had 6 in zone - apparently they were teamed up on the attempt, and TMO was basically ready for a *real* pull attempt. Trains happen all the time up there, but most aren't as blatantly intentional. This was definitely not an attempt to kill Inny, it was an FE member training TMO, and it worked pretty drat well. I hope this person gets a week suspension from their character, just as I would expect a TMO member to get in a similar situation.

I was never around when people DDOSd other guild leaders and have never personally seen or heard a TMO member intentionally cheat (I have seen the fraps of course). Doing stuff out of game (including MacroQuest) is way over the line and definitely deserves serious punishment. Doing stuff in game can be over the line and usually deserves some less serious punishment.

There are times when shady shenanigans happen in game, but I think it is within the bounds of the rules. In Fear recently, a guild tried to leapfrog TMO to engage CT. TMO was not ready for an engage and didn't really have a choice but to let them go first. However, TMO was holding 90% of the zone mobs in a kite, to let members zone in and get to the North wall. Instead of making it easy on the other guild, members camped out and the bard let his train "catch up". The train was dropped somewhere near the zone in portal, but they had enough time to make it across the zone and save CT. Was that nice... no. But I think it was within the bounds of the rules. If you want to engage CT, you better have some control over the mobs in the zone.

There are different degrees of breaking the rules. It does happen and it is usually punished accordingly (FRAPS or it didn't happen). But that is no reason to force a rotation and take away the fun of getting there first and earning the engage. Guilds just need to focus on a few mobs at a time and have a decent size force ready to roll in a reasonable amount of time. That might require sharing account info to ensure the key characters are online, or maybe even an email chain and some forward planning (gasssp). As it stands, the majority of people that want a rotation are just too lazy to make a real attempt.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

iNteg posted:

When it comes to raiding, there needs to be no "varying degrees" of rule breaking, it needs to be uniform, and adding up as more offenses happen, to a real, true, permaban. Things like Forumquest bans should have real in-game consequences as well.

I think the current bans that have been reversed lasted 6 month to a couple of years. Long enough to teach someone a lesson and get them out of the raid scene for a long time. It's not like the training and trickery stuff happens all that often, most of the time there is just no competition in sight. Same thing goes when TMO isn't tracking a mob and someone else is - they get the no rush FTE attempt.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

moolchaba posted:

Why don't you try this:

1. Join one of the competing guilds.
2. Come back in 1-2 months and share your analysis of the raid scene.

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Funkutron5000 posted:

That cleric did not get any punishment for that stuff in VP. All that happened was a warning was given that people would be suspended if it happened again. The TMO cleric that got suspended was for pulling similar poo poo in Fear on a CT run a little while later. Pretty sure he trained us then /q'd and quick switched. He was engaged with a mob and poofed much quicker than a /q will ever allow. Jeremy was caught using the ip exemption to quick switch between toons while he was streaming. I don't know that you poof any more on a quick switch, but you could see his LD character in the EC tunnel while he was on his other toon. I believe he lost his IP exemption for that.

As an aside, I think the most bullshit "allowed" raid tactic is DT cycling on CT. People aggro him all the drat time to force the opposing guild to camp out and back in to buy their raid force more time to assemble. It should absolutely count as raid interference if you send someone to aggro him with no intent to engage. Blah, I hate this raid scene so much yet I still engage in it. I'm such a dumb dumb.

The cleric definitely should have gotten in trouble for that, especially since it was clearly caught on fraps. I also think I remember him poofing out and back in multiple times, which is quite a bit worse than /q'ing to avoid a death and being "saved" by the buggy ip exemption mechanics. It would be nice if they could just fix the underlying issue and keep those characters in active LD limbo like the rest of us would experience. I personally don't ever want an ip exemption, because I would probably get myself into trouble with it.

Setting off CT DT cycles to slow another raid force is very lame. I have definitely seen this done on accident (bard train pathed too close) and on purpose. I believe the DT mechanics are bugged right now tho - I don't think he actually cycles through random people in the zone (still wise to camp out when you see one), and he also machine gun DTs on engage (5 or 6 in a row one time). Overall Fear and Hate are messy zones when going for the boss mobs, I also wish there were more legit rules surrounding these (engage Inny in his room, no training all of the zone mobs to the opposite side of the zone for CT).

As far as the VP training rules, I guess I like them? Even when someone is just in there to grief your raid, it increases the level of suspense, requires greater organization to counter the trains, and makes an otherwise easy encounter difficult/rewarding when it finally goes down. I also think it will be nice to be able to prevent others from waking the Sleeper, even tho there are only a few mobs past the final arbiter (4 warders and the sleeper).

iNteg posted:

They recently said they won't support MQing, so if you lose an item doing a MQ, they don't restore it.

I'm not sure if I made it in before this was a rule, but I had a piece of my epic messed up during a failed MQ attempt. An iksar ran past my turn in mob right after a friend handed in item #1, got agro, and then FD'd the agro off. The MQ item must have gotten wiped because my turn in failed. I was talking to a GM a few days later about a non related issue and brought it up, he restored my 3 items. I might have just caught them on a good day, or maybe they were just showing some TMO favoritism - I dunno.

I would also be for making MQs obsolete. However, that would just end in a ton of No Drop items being deleted.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Funkutron5000 posted:

We suffered from a new tactic during CT yesterday. Our bard had a kite of the zone going and we were getting ready to zone in while TMO was already in zone. A rogue went in and hit a mob and evaded afterward, causing the mob to then summon the bard and make him dead in the kite. Clever girl.

Hats off on that one. Was extremely well played.

lol, that is a good strategy. It must have been a good back stab because mobs don't start summoning until 96% or so. I guess a monk could do that easily enough.

khysanth posted:

Does Velious have a date yet though?

Logged off Booter a while back sick of killing the same poo poo in Kunark over and over with IB. Not to mention having to play dirty with TMO. Seems like all the drama is still around... might be enough to keep me away. :\

Presumably most of these people are in their late 20s-early 30s, I just can't believe how a lot of them act.

Yes, there will always be drama surrounding this game. Given the ever increasing number of dedicated high level players and limited pool of boss mobs, drama will ensue. I guess I participate in it, but don't really pay attention to all of the complaining / P99 rants and flames. My eq experience these days is log on, kill mob, log off.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Funkutron5000 posted:

Nothing like a mid-week middle of the night patch. Ugh.

Funkutron5000 posted:

I was dumb and stayed up way too long raiding. The plus side was that we got a CT with a very, very nice loot table. And some other cool stuff!

My batphones are definitely turned off at night, so I missed the entire repop. I wouldn't participate in a repop that late ever, but it still sucks that I missed it. Glad the Euros finally got one in their favor tho - generally every other repop has happened when they were sleeping. The rush to gobble up everything possible within a 2 hour window is tons of fun and it's also a great time for other guilds to hit targets that they normally wouldn't track/engage.

Congrats on CT/Sev/Gore/Dojo/Overseer

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

EQ and excel go well together. I keep an excel file with all of my account info, friends account info, master friends list, active quests, wts/wtb lists, and raid encounters. I don't really use it a lot when I'm active, but if I step away from the game for a few months, it's invaluable when I come back.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Nilbog Resident posted:

I suddenly decided I wanted to play again and that I wanted to play an Iksar SK.

I have like 4k on a guy in EC and I want to blow it to make a tough existence a little easier. What should I get and how the hell do I get it to the Field of Bone? I already have a couple 5/55 rings, I think.

Yessss, more iksars SKs! I just dinged 51 on mine and love the character so far. At this point I'm running around with a Sword of Rile for my main damage weapon and the Scimitar of Lifestealing for HP regen when a mob is running. I should have my old Noctivigant Blade (18/26 1hs) sitting on one of my EC alts, and maybe a few other SK weapons.

What is your SKs name? I'll keep an eye out for you and try to get the weapon to you, or you could run to EC to make it easier on me!

Edit: Rhume, I'll also look for you. I think I have a Poison Wind Sensor sitting on an EC alt. It is a great lower level shaman weapon, while you are still using weapons on mobs (through around 30 i think), and will sell for ~2k when you are done with it.

On a more positive note (heh heh), FE/IB are currently raid suspended due to numerous raid interference & training shenanigans, leaving lots of dragons for TMO to get easy kills on - https://www.whokilledit.com (no clue who decided to make this site) is currently looking pretty red. If any of you want to raid in the future, let me know and I can sponsor you into TMO if your level/skills/time match up with our app requirements. Also, don't believe all of the BS that you read about TMO - we are a bunch of people who enjoy raiding within the bounds of the rules and the bad apples are few and far between.

ohno fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

Hey guys, pretty sure bringing the raid scene drama over here is a no-no. Suffice it to say, P99 raiding is a shitshow of garbage, and all guilds are guilty of loving it up to some degree or another.

Fair enough. And I know TMO has done shity things in the past. But, I wouldn't still be in the guild if it was condoned or we made a habit of it.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

hayden. posted:

The only real annoying part to me as someone interested in the raid scene but never raids is that TMO and others pretend like their plans are top secret. You got 60 people in Seb, it's not exactly a secret what you're hoping to do, quit acting like a prick when I try to have a conversation. You'd think they wouldn't care if a 60 wizard wanted to tag along and nuke, more DPS for them, but apparently I'm a spy and going to ruin their plans.

When 60 people in one guild are in Seb (that's way more than ever actually show up), it means Trak has already spawned. There's no point in trying to tag along at that point, everyone in the raiding guilds are already fully buffed and are hoping their guild gets the first to engage message. If your guild doesn't get FTE, then everyone is logging out to prevent getting trained and in hopes that the other guild wipes. In my experience, we have let numerous people tag along for raid mobs - but everything happens so fast that it is hard to incorporate tag alongs that do not have access to our ventrilo server.

edit: spelling

Also, it does your guild no good to say what you are up to. If Trak spawns and another guild doesn't know, why would you want to tell a random person that trak is up? It could very well be a member of another guild, who then relays the spawn info to everyone in their guild. A secret kill is the best kind of kill, because then only your guild knows the actual opening time of the next spawn window.

ohno fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 17, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

aparmenideanmonad posted:

At least its not a carebear loving pve server though, right?

I agree, I'm glad there is competition on the server. Rotations are boring and large guilds would just splinter, which would leave months long rotation lists for each mob. That or everyone would quit. This isn't a carebear PVE server, it's a competitive one, just lacking a lot of the competition right now.

The whole frapsquest thing is lame, but the GMs seem to like the community in a constant state of rule lawyering. It is basically "fraps or it didn't happen" when dealing with GMs on raid situations.

edit: I do hope to see rotations on old world mobs when Velious comes out. But it's probably going to come down to the mobs loot table. Trak/Sev/VS/Vox/Nagafen/CT/VP mobs will probably still have competition.

ohno fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 18, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

moolchaba posted:

But thanks for the slanted point of view, ya TMO shill.

Most of the server, like you, has a slanted view of TMO. TMO doesn't own any content, the guild just works to get the mobs. I help track, because it helps the guild get there first if something pops. FE/IB do too, and they consistently win raid mobs. I don't understand how other guilds can't target a single mob window (BDA & Taken do sometimes), camp characters out, and have one person hang out on a tracker. But hey, if 95% of the server doesn't want to compete, it makes it easier for the 5% who do.

hayden. posted:

I don't see this as an issue. Waiting several months for a chance to kill a dragon is better than never getting a chance because the same one or two guilds have it locked down. Joining that guild in hopes of getting a chance at the loot would also likely take several months and lots of rear end kissing and probably bribery.

I do see this as an issue because there is no competition involved. EQ is great because it is competitive and there are no instances. First come, first serve, unless there is some sort of agreement made. With slim competition, the raiding guilds don't have a reason to negotiate rotations. Everyone has a choice if they want to compete or not, the fact that 95% choose not to (for whatever their reason) doesn't mean the GMs should enforce raid rotations. Join a guild that competes and you will see content, or create a new guild with that in mind.

I'm glad Rogean leaves it up to the community to decide, because zero competition carebear servers are boring.

ohno fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 18, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Arakan posted:

Pretty much. Everquest is not a competitive video game. Sitting and staring at your computer screen while you click track is not competition, it's just a waste of time. For all the talk of recreating the classic experience, people on this server have really missed the entire point of what made classic EQ great, its community, which unfortunately is extremely lacking post level 50 or so.

Some of this I think can be attributed to RMTing. Here if you lose an engage you're potentially losing hundreds of dollars, which wasn't really a consideration on any kind of major scale in classic.

There are a limited number of worthwhile raid targets, which are on variable timers. When one spawns, it is a race between the guilds who care to kill the raid target. In a race, one guild will win, and the others will lose. The race to the kill is the competition, not the tracking.

I like the community that I'm apart of in P1999, sorry that you aren't. Maybe you should find another guild, possibly one that pursues content? Just an idea.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Here is the latest Trakanon kill. Ignore the Luclin models and any FE/IB slander (it was made by a TMO member).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewCkfhHq8o

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

TouchToneDialing posted:

Your last two posts are every reason people hate TMO.

Camping more accounts (you bought) at more targets then waking up at 3 am is some fierce competition!

Stop making GBS threads in this thread with your TMO garbage.

Hate us or love us, we are part of the server too.

None of my account are bought and I've never attended a 3 am raid!

This thread is full of anti TMO garbage, I'm just here to help the occasional new player out and give an alternate point of view.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Well, I wish there were more people/guilds/alliances pursuing the content to begin with. I do like the competition and wish there were 4 or 5 guilds actively going after the targets. Hopefully Velious will actually open things up a bit and get more people interested in the P1999 raid game, but we've been saying that for years and it seems like a pipe dream at this point. The gear that I mentioned in that old post helps, but it really boils down to people being prepared and response numbers. The only way to succeed is to try, and at this point in the server's life, only TMO/IB/FE really try.

So the would-be contenders path is: Build a guild with decent levels and numbers (or make alliances to fall in this category), camp plenty of higher level characters near a desirable raid target (doesn't have to be one of the instant engage mobs, especially while learning), have them buffed, have someone watching for the raid target to spawn, send an email out to said people when it spawns, log in, have some organization and a plan of attack, and engage/kill the mob. That's the standard strategy for any guild that wants to pursue raid targets on p1999.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Funkutron5000 posted:

Taken goes after/ gets Inny pretty darn regularly these days. I think they camp out in his room to try and get a quick engage and it's worked pretty well. In the past month or two I've also seen Divinity and Taken going after merbs like Sev.

I'd like to see BDA get back into raiding a bit more but I understand why they don't want to participate in the scene as it currently stands.

Taken has been doing a great job at locking down Innoruuk. I believe TMOs last Inny was well over a month ago (sucks for our mages!). That's my point, the raid scene might be a mess and the established guilds clearly have the upper hand in terms of refined strategy, gear, and numbers. But when a guild or alliance focuses their efforts on a single target, they generally have success and they gain confidence in their raiding abilities.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

BDA still raids plenty, just has zero interest into what our friend ohno calls "competition". We enjoy a good race, when one presents itself (not often, due to the "camp out your various alts fully buffed" strat), and still raid Sky and other planes regularly too. We've been getting Vox a bit lately too, heh. Not that I play anymore.

It sucks that the people who spend (waste) the most time on this game and band together with like minded people will inevitably lock down content and prevent others from experiencing it. That's why games like this aren't made anymore. New games have instances so everyone can experience the enjoyable content, regardless of their immersion level. P1999 problems are compounded by the fact that there is a single server, a very top heavy population, and no new content for years. All of this leads to a race to kill the raid target, which is actually a lot of fun. Really, that's one of the main reasons I play this game, because I enjoy this style of fast response raiding. I have 2 level 60s and can attend 95% of the kills if I'm anywhere near my home or work computers. But, I do realize this style of raiding doesn't suit many on the server. I don't think the majority of TMO members continue to play to hold others back, we continue to play because it's fun.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely turned in enough on my iksar monk to run to the bank/vend without any trouble. Just watch out for the guild houses.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

ChadBro, are you a bard or rogue?

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

ChadBroChill17 posted:

Bard.

Actually ended up getting a guildie to come rez me and drag me to rear end/sup, where I did successfully get my mask! But now I'm stuck. =X

The good thing is at least I have options. I really tried to avoid low hp kiting because I like grouping and I see no point to rushing to 60 to get to the lackluster raid scene. Having said that, I went from 30-36 yesterday and didn't spend one minute LFG.

E: If anyone around mid-high 30s wants to be bait for low hp kiting let me know. You need SoW or jboots.

My main is also a bard. Low HP kiting is boring, but extremely effective. I resisted for a while, but eventually got on board with it and got to 60 months quicker than I would have in normal exp groups.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Among the other criticisms of this server, mine is that the economy is all hosed up. There is entirely too much plat on the server, due to the amount of time the game has been out and other more serious reasons, and it definitely hinders new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Apparently the entire economy is a lie. I was really hoping those duping complaints last summer were all lies - but apparently there is a lot of truth behind it.

• Locked thread