Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organs
Feb 13, 2014

agreeing with all the love for the alien 3 soundtrack. it's probably one of the best scores i've heard for a film, and is easily the best in the alien franchise. it's stellar work, really captures the tone and themes of the film perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kokoro Wish posted:

gently caress Aliens, Alien and Alien 3 are the poo poo. Prometheus is a good film.

You are probably joking, but I think Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Prometheus are great films.

Also, I think the Prometheus we got is far more interesting than the original script that people seem to love.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's lovely mood music 90% of the time, the rest are chorales that would fit into a Batman film, it's overly boisterous too. It also doesn't have any leitmotifs that catch your ear and make you instantly go, "Alien 3, definitely" like the con legno cello of Alien (or it's melody) or the military march snares of Aliens.

The Agnus Dei track makes me immediately think of the beginning of Alien 3.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

blackguy32 posted:

You are probably joking, but I think Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Prometheus are great films.

Also, I think the Prometheus we got is far more interesting than the original script that people seem to love.

The Agnus Dei track makes me immediately think of the beginning of Alien 3.

Not joking really. Aliens is a perfectly fine movie, but I much prefer Alien, Alien 3 and Prometheus as Sci-Fi. Also the first Predator film.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not joking really. Aliens is a perfectly fine movie, but I much prefer Alien, Alien 3 and Prometheus as Sci-Fi. Also the first Predator film.

Then yeah, I agree. Speaking of which, I need to watch Alien 3 again. Its been far too long. Only problem is that it is such a grim movie, I have to be in the right mood to watch it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

catlord posted:

I liked Prometheus, but I saw it with my grandmother who's a science teacher, and something about that made me acutely aware of the number of stupid things the scientists in that movie did. Stuff I'd normally let slide made me laugh.

What sort of thing? I really wanted to like Prometheus, but it made so little sense it ripped me out of the story.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's lovely mood music 90% of the time, the rest are chorales that would fit into a Batman film, it's overly boisterous too. It also doesn't have any leitmotifs that catch your ear and make you instantly go, "Alien 3, definitely" like the con legno cello of Alien (or it's melody) or the military march snares of Aliens.

loving Lento? Especially since it covers the funeral scene, the speech, and the alien birth?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Prometheus would be so much better if they sticked to a bit more "believable" sci-fi science ideas like in the first Alien. I'm not talking about neatpicking details but just making the scientists' side have more realistic and non-utopian goals, more realistic equipment, behavior etc. It wouldn't spoil the fun but make the movie have more substance instead of all the typical cookie-cutter sci-fi white noise. I feel like the main ideas were good but the movie fell on its face on details.

I still kinda enjoyed it and felt it had memorable scenes. The alien abortion scene and ending were excellent and worthy of the original movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sire Oblivion posted:

I can't agree with this because it ended up being fairly influential to sci-fi/horror score composition almost as much as the movie was visually to most of 90s before Batman Forever came out. I honestly prefer it to Aliens' score, shameful I know. It definitely has several ques that make me instantly recognize it as Alien 3 though. It's minimalist but very strong and stuck with me even when I was young and saw the pretty awful theatrical cut of the movie when it came out. Lento is a REALLY powerful piece for the time. The soundtrack in general was a pretty big deal when the movie came out because of some of the original stuff he did like the drawn out gong samples they made and such. That flanged horn too.

This might be a shock, but speaking of influence, they sound like they're from a Batman film because Alien 3's composer, Elliot Goldenthal reused similar techniques in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. And while produced electronically rather than physically manipulating a gong, Hans Zimmer did some similar tricks with that choir boy's solo note and the industrial sounds in Batman Begins. The Alien 3 soundtrack was just as lauded as the soundtracks for Alien and Aliens when it came out for these reasons.

At the same time it can be easy for us to become biased one way or another because all of the Alien soundtracks have some versions of the songs that are not in the movie or otherwise very differently. It was not until very relatively recently that you could get a definitive soundtrack of Alien to listen to as an example. Like Breakaway in Alien is an amazing track but isn't really in the movie in a similar way.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 16, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Palpek posted:

Prometheus would be so much better if they sticked to a bit more "believable" sci-fi science ideas like in the first Alien. I'm not talking about neatpicking details but just making the scientists' side have more realistic and non-utopian goals, more realistic equipment, behavior etc. It wouldn't spoil the fun but make the movie have more substance instead of all the typical cookie-cutter sci-fi white noise. I feel like the main ideas were good but the movie fell on its face on details.

I still kinda enjoyed it and felt it had memorable scenes. The alien abortion scene and ending were excellent and worthy of the original movies.

Prometheus depicts a different, more decadent society with different goals than our own. Like, if the humans in Prometheus were supposed to be likable, I doubt the android would have secretly hated them. Or that they would have created an android with feelings and yet were so ignorant that they didn't believe it could have real feelings.

I don't think Prometheus is amazing or anything but I was never put off by "hmmm this isn't following the scientific method or basic ethics."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm probably imagining things that would have went along a decision like that. More realistic scientific goals/jobs would mean more realistic characters with actual functions, personalities etc. I felt that Prometheus's character line-up was really boring (except for the protagonist and the android) and just a copy of dozens other B-grade sci-fi flicks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Palpek posted:

I'm probably imagining things that would have went along a decision like that. More realistic scientific goals/jobs would mean more realistic characters with actual functions, personalities etc. I felt that Prometheus's character line-up was really boring (except for the protagonist and the android) and just a copy of dozens other B-grade sci-fi flicks.

I ended up liking this because I liked how these best of the best scientists get drawn in because of Shaw's blind faith in our creators being inherently good and Weyland's "holy spirit" giving them orders (and completely rejecting his "son" in the same scene). The movie is about people acting irrationally because they're too dumb to realize "god" is a racket. The cynicism of the film made me extremely happy since it's a pretty rare direction for a huge budget summer sci-fi flick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 16, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What sort of thing? I really wanted to like Prometheus, but it made so little sense it ripped me out of the story.

I was amused by "the air's supposed to be toxic, but the readout's saying it's not? Let me just pop off this helmet!" and "an alien creature on a supposedly dead planet? I wonder if I can touch it!" At least in the first instance the other characters were flipping their poo poo, but this guy is supposed to be smart.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

catlord posted:

I was amused by "the air's supposed to be toxic, but the readout's saying it's not? Let me just pop off this helmet!" and "an alien creature on a supposedly dead planet? I wonder if I can touch it!" At least in the first instance the other characters were flipping their poo poo, but this guy is supposed to be smart.

There was a weird edit here, apparently they actually filmed him successfully capturing one, making him more confident about the one we see in the film both because he got the first one easily and to more blatantly impress his scared buddy. I still don't understand why this was changed. It really is the one moment in the film where, yeah okay there's some gay subtext between him and the guy he's trying to impress, he's now proudly the first person to ever see alien life etc. but come on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

catlord posted:

"an alien creature on a supposedly dead planet? I wonder if I can touch it!"

This never bothered me since Dallas does the exact same thing in the first film.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Neo Rasa posted:

I ended up liking this because I liked how these best of the best scientists get drawn in because of Shaw's blind faith in our creators being inherently good and Weyland's "holy spirit" giving them orders (and completely rejecting his "son" in the same scene). The movie is about people acting irrationally because they're too dumb to realize "god" is a racket. The cynicism of the film made me extremely happy since it's a pretty rare direction for a huge budget summer sci-fi flick.

I don't think that they were the "best of the best" scientists at all. I think they were ones who were desperate or crazy enough to go on a vague, mysterious trip with no clear objective until they got there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

This never bothered me since Dallas does the exact same thing in the first film.
By Alien, isn't it implied/stated that there is a Company policy for salvage and/or live samples? Seeing the first extraterrestrial life is a little different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

By Alien, isn't it implied/stated that there is a Company policy for salvage and/or live samples? Seeing the first extraterrestrial life is a little different.

It's a little unclear. It's written in a way that you can read it as both "they have an established policy for dealing with alien life" and "there is technically a policy for alien life but nobody has ever discovered any." The former makes more sense to me but some people have read it as the latter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Rule 1) Do not loving touch that poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

It's a little unclear. It's written in a way that you can read it as both "they have an established policy for dealing with alien life" and "there is technically a policy for alien life but nobody has ever discovered any." The former makes more sense to me but some people have read it as the latter.
They'd definitely encountered extraterrestrial life before as of 'Alien'. First-contact is a kind of big deal, and the Nostromo crew just kind of roll their eyes like "we're getting detoured for this poo poo?".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They'd definitely encountered extraterrestrial life before as of 'Alien'. First-contact is a kind of big deal, and the Nostromo crew just kind of roll their eyes like "we're getting detoured for this poo poo?".

That's my feeling but people have argued very strongly in other threads, especially when you take Aliens into account and people read the Marine's response as "heh, Aliens, yeah right, whatever you say crazy lady."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

loving Lento? Especially since it covers the funeral scene, the speech, and the alien birth?

The aria in the beginning is awful, then it turns Batman, it's pretty bad. It takes 4+ minutes for there to be a theme. And then it doesn't come back.

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't agree with this because it ended up being fairly influential to sci-fi/horror score composition almost as much as the movie was visually to most of 90s before Batman Forever came out. I honestly prefer it to Aliens' score, shameful I know. It definitely has several ques that make me instantly recognize it as Alien 3 though. It's minimalist but very strong and stuck with me even when I was young and saw the pretty awful theatrical cut of the movie when it came out. Lento is a REALLY powerful piece for the time. The soundtrack in general was a pretty big deal when the movie came out because of some of the original stuff he did like the drawn out gong samples they made and such. That flanged horn too.

I think the main problem is that Alien 3 doesn't know what the hell it wants to be, it's got action scenes but it tries being scary and dramatic and the mood music tries being this one-size-fits-all glove to accommodate and it causes it to be all over the place. The melodies and voice leading are also really god drat boring.

Hakkesshu posted:

That's Kane, and I assume he did it because he was alone. I don't recall if he still had contact with Lambert and Dallas but aren't they trying to talk him out of not doing anything but all he hears is static? Maybe I'm getting confused with Ripley trying to talk to them from the ship. Though, still really dumb.

ImpAtom posted:

That's my feeling but people have argued very strongly in other threads, especially when you take Aliens into account and people read the Marine's response as "heh, Aliens, yeah right, whatever you say crazy lady."

In Aliens Hudson asks if this is another "bug hunt," so it's implied other life is known.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Didn't the Marines say something about killing "bugs" before coming to LV-426, or am I imagining that?
edit: Whoops, beaten.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyways, is there some sort of director's cut of Prometheus that makes it better?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Palpek posted:

Anyways, is there some sort of director's cut of Prometheus that makes it better?

As I recall there are a bunch of deleted scenes, and they don't.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

I don't know, their stunned reaction to hearing the transmission and seeing the ship implies that it was a pretty big deal. Their motivations from then on out seem to be to do the bare minimum they're contractually obligated to do and get the hell out of there because oh gently caress I'm just a trucker I'm not qualified for this poo poo.

Presumably they'd get home and tell the suits "there's a big dead alien in a spaceship here, send some science types" and collect their awesome bonus for confirming the authenticity of the signal.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sire Oblivion posted:

In Aliens Hudson asks if this is another "bug hunt," so it's implied other life is known.

I don't know much about the Aliens universe outside of the films, but I always assumed based on comments like that and other clues was that there may have been flora, micro-organisms, and relatively-primitive animal life, but nothing beyond that until that ship was discovered.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The clear implication is that every "bug hunt" involves some near-harmless extraterrestrial space cow that won't stop hanging around the wind farms on Planet Backwater. There are entire scenes dedicated to establishing this, and yet we all still must suffer the indignity of theory-crafters who can't even remember the movie they're bullshitting about instead of talking to girls.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

That and the Arcturian poontang. Unless by not mattering about the sex implies it's non sentient.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gileadexile posted:

That and the Arcturian poontang. Unless by not mattering about the sex implies it's non sentient.

I always thought that was supposed to be a Space Bangkok thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

I always thought that was supposed to be a Space Bangkok thing.
Well yeah, that's the subtext since the movie is one big Vietnam War allegory.

"In universe" Arcturians aren't human.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The clear implication is that every "bug hunt" involves some near-harmless extraterrestrial space cow that won't stop hanging around the wind farms on Planet Backwater. There are entire scenes dedicated to establishing this, and yet we all still must suffer the indignity of theory-crafters who can't even remember the movie they're bullshitting about instead of talking to girls.

When you inform people of the truth about something, this is called contributing to a discussion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

But girls are gross :confused:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd rather be Facehugged than get cooties.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Palpek posted:

What you need is called "more booze." I got slowly drunk on a train after a job interview and watched Prometheus. It all made perfect sense to the point by the time I disembarked I was really looking forward to the sequel.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I picked up the Aliens Infestation DS game cheap from Amazon and have been playing it for a couple days. Unfortunately I can't say I'm too impressed. The combat sucks and the game feels really unfinished, with some areas where it's obvious that not a lot of thought was put into it. For example, there are a lot of sections where you can see a health kit or ammunition, but there are enemies you have to fight through to get them. So a perfectly fine risk/reward thing, but these areas are often literally within eyesight of a save room, which restores your health and ammo anyway. What's the point?

Or a maintenance grate you can blow open to follow a simple maze either bereft or packed with enemies, only to find your prize at the end...more ammo! Which you just got at the last save point. Thanks for that two minute, worthless detour. By the way, half the time these mazes actually hold nothing, just a dead end. Great. But once in a while they do lead to an otherwise inaccessible area, or a key item, so you really need to check every one.

I really dislike the combat too. There is a very deliberate cost for opening fire, you are locked in a short animation so you are committed when you pull the trigger. That's all fine and well, but the aliens can hop and jump all over the place so you're stuck pointing the wrong direction while they pound on your back. The dodge roll is wonky and unreliable but you need to use it.

They also have been fitting in as many Alien staples as they can. Yep, you fight a queen with a power loader. But after she breaks it, you have to open the air lock so she can be sucked into space. I'm lucky I didn't faint during that part! (from all the sighing). Yeah, the pulse rifles make the right sounds, the Aliens make that weird noise that kind of sounds like an elephant tooting its trunk, and the motion tracker makes the familiar ringing sound. Copy/paste copy/paste copy/paste, good job boys, we just made an Alien game.

Pros are the map system, and the aesthetics are great; I love the sprites. Unfortunately the gameplay is really lacking. I see the game overall actually got pretty decent reviews so maybe it's just me. My takeaway feeling on this title is, as I mentioned, it is unfinished. I think some more development would've produced something noteworthy instead of a dull, clunky Metroid wannabe.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Hakkesshu posted:

He's a redneck space trucker.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I picked up the Aliens Infestation DS game cheap from Amazon and have been playing it for a couple days. Unfortunately I can't say I'm too impressed. The combat sucks and the game feels really unfinished, with some areas where it's obvious that not a lot of thought was put into it.

I bought and played through the game, and I agree with all of this. It's got a bit of charm and I could see how someone could enjoy it, but at the end of the day, it's kind of empty and boring and I wouldn't recommend it.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

All the Alien films are massively contradictory not just vis-a-vis discovered Alien life, but on a whole range of "universe" things because nobody gave a poo poo about that level of internal consistency. Completely different film-makers with completely different scripts who were too busy making their vision of a cool movie, and not world building for people to discuss in excruiating detail on the internet. Things get even messier after a deluge of comics, game franchises and books, and by the time you get to Prometheus, you are better off considering each film, book, movie, whatever a completely different proposition with little relation (especially with regard to continuity) to the first two or three films whatsoever.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 30, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

See, I liked Prometheus because I like Ridley Scott's visual aesthetic. You can say what you like about the story, but it's a very good looking film apart from Guy Pierce what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

o.m. 94 posted:

All the Alien films are massively contradictory not just vis-a-vis discovered Alien life, but on a whole range of "universe" things because nobody gave a poo poo about that level of internal consistency. Completely different film-makers with completely different scripts who were too busy making their vision of a cool movie, and not world building for people to discuss in excruiating detail on the internet. Things get even messier after a deluge of comics, game franchises and books, and by the time you get to Prometheus, you are better off considering each film, book, movie, whatever a completely different proposition with little relation (especially with regard to continuity) to the first two or three films whatsoever.
I'm an Alien continuity need, and it really depends on how strict you want to be with it, and what rationale you choose to use. I'm a fan of the idea of "fuzzy continuity", where multiple sources can each give you their version of a set of events, and some of them could be contradictory (or in some cases, mutually exclusive) but they can all be regarded as some part of "the truth" even if we can't really know what that truth is. Schroedinger's Continuity, in a sense.

Did the Alien in 'Alien3' pop out of a dog or an ox? Well both, in a way, since both versions of the movie are "true".

• Locked thread