Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
How is the story in this game? That has always been my number one thing.
My favourite JRPGs are probably Xenogears, FF9, and Chrono Trigger (in that order), with some others right behind those. I played and beat almost all the other JRPGs worth playing, even modern ones like FF13 and Lost Odyssey.

I hated the story in 13, waited until the end for anything to happen in the plot. I loved Lost Odyssey although it got way too grindy towards the end.

Anyway without going into much more detail, its the story and the world that draws me in, not so much the gameplay. I really enjoyed playing 13 but oh my god the story and characters were god awful.

Can anyone give me an honest jrpg veteran's opinion on what to expect from the plot without spoiling much? Use analogies or references from other games if you have to. After FF13 I decided I'm done with these things for good so please goons, change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Just chiming in to say this game is unbelievable. I asked earlier in the thread if a JRPG vet would like it, and the answer is yes in every single way.

This could easily be hands down the best JRPG and one of the best games I've played in the past decade... and my SA name gives away my love for the Final Fantasy series. So I guess that is saying a lot. Whoever said this game is everything FF wants to be right now is totally right.

My only complaint is that I have poo poo to do and I can't sit here and play this for the next while. I feel like a kid again.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I'm around level 68 and I'm at (late game spoiler) bionis interior, and stuff there is a tad too high for me. where should I quest or grind?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The voice acting in this game is really great. It really does pick up when the characters start showing emotion and the banter is great.

Also a huge fan of the music. My favourites have to be (mid to late game areas)Fallen Arm and Mechonis Field

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Fishmasher posted:

Has anyone been able to emulate the game with Dolphin and play with 0 crashes yet?

I'm wondering if I should bother trying various recommended emulator versions until one is completely crash-free, or just keep using the one I have (which seems relatively stable, but does occasionally crash).

I played through the game on Dolphin with 0 crashes. Then again I couldn't make the sound glitch go away, just tolerable with different versions. It was totally worth it though. Here I was thinking I was going to finally dust off my Wii.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I mostly focused on the plot stopping to quest when I got to a new area or just wanted a change of pace. I wouldn't say I did a ton of quests but a fair bit. I was ideal level throughout most of the game I would say, maybe a little over leveled at around mid game. I had trouble with some of the later bosses and quested a bit/revised my characters and strategy but never to the point of frustration.

I played with Shulk/Dunban/seventh.

I beat the game at level 78 with 50 hours played so thats not really anything compared to the 100+ people are reporting here. I didn't touch colony 6 either.

Honestly just play the game, people are over thinking this I think.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Oh yeah, and re-reading the thread, tons of people posted about Fiora being killed by Metal Face and how it was sad and shocked them and blah blah blah but the way I feel is (regarding the seventh character) If you didn't think Fiora was coming back, you are seriously dumb. Like they would let you play as a character for five seconds and then kill her without bringing her back? And she was such a major player. Also, I was tipped off by the fact that there are achievements based around her, and also the quest where you raise the affinity between any two female characters implies that there are more than two. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't ever think for one second that she was permanently dead.

(seventh stuff)When you get Monado Purge you fight with Alvis and that's honestly who I thought seventh was. Even if it was a character we didn't meet until later it doesn't mean them joining a party wouldn't be a twist. Like if Egil or Mumkhar joined.

Regarding some of the later themes and comparisons to his previous games, I like to see it as the director being able to finish his ideas. Xenogears had disk two and Xenosaga was trimmed down and wasn't very good. This game definitely feels like his complete vision and it would be very difficult for him to top Xenoblade using the same things.

I don't think it goes down hill or anything. It definitely goes into JRPG crazy land but(ending talk)if you want to kill god and go on an epic journey where you reset the world and defy fate I'd say this is as good as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I decided to do a second play through and this time try and get the game 100%. I got to the bionis leg before I realized I'm going to be trivializing all the content anyway by doing all the quests and I might as well just destroy everything in a new game+.

Now I'm sort of torn between the two. Any thoughts? I've already come to terms with my masochism I just need to decide how I'm gonna go about this. Oh god what am I doing

• Locked thread