Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How playable is the alpha? I'm really interested in getting this, but they've done that horrible 1$ = 1€ thing which puts me off quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the soundtrack available anywhere? Each time I start up the game I feel so chilled out. :)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Couple of newbie questions:
-I always had trouble to keep the military/expansion spending ratio in check in MoO2, how important is an early military really?
-Is it just me or do heroes make expansion way too easy/quickly?
-Is overexpansion a real problem or should I nab what I can?
-I think I made all battles automatic, any way to turn that back?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any way for planets to defend themselves actually? I kind of miss the defense bases from MoO. Having to guard every entrance with fleets is kind of hard.
Also is there anything like Orion/guardians for valuable systems?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Kinda sad that there's no thing like Orion/Space anomalies eating your planets etc. I still hope they will add stuff like that because it adds flavor to the game and some more random elements.

Also the AI totally exploits the simultaneous turn thing. if they have a blockade fleet and you want to send up a ship you built on the planet to join your outside fleet before attacking they will immediately attack it, if you land your outside flee they will try to occupy the system.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, the weapons really need some different looks for higher levels. I'm especially disappointed that all beams aren't lasers but instead pew pew bullets.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Homeworld beams still were pretty tame compared to what Freespace 2 had. Watching those huge beams carve through cap ships, their hull percentages dropping like flies while you could not damage those things at all was pretty amazing.

But yeah, less pew pew, more beams.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Krinkle posted:

Good god, I quit my first game and every other faction had eight times my resources and population. I only saw a few systems of blue and I had four...

All I researched was things to colonize different kinds of planets. Then when I got blockaded by pirates and couldn't colonize anymore I tried to do military upgrades but none of these seemed like they were helping. Is there some kind of newbie guide to know how to not get left this far behind after a hundred turns or so?

Just build up some ships in the beginning, pirates aren't very threatening at all.
Don't tech too much into any kind of tree at the beginning.

Also the game just gave me my own corner of the galaxy? :confused:
I guess I'm untouchable without wormhole travel?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 13, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, gently caress that noise then, scrapped the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone else run into the bug where one system in the galaxy is completely uncolonizeable? You can't click any planets inside the system for whatever reason, it also affects the AI funnily.

Something else for the combat: I really feel helpless in some encounters despite the battle cards. I want to see numbers, how many shots hit for how much damage etc. Also the game really needs other space threats than the pirates.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quick question, my game ended with an economic victory before I could check this:

If you build the improvement that converts all excess food in a system into industry, does your population still grow or will it be stale?

Anyways, if you ever get to this point with lava systems, 2k+ industry output.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also, is there any way to automate things late in the game? I don't trust the AI managers for my colonies because they build all kind of stupid poo poo I never need on them. But it'd be nice if you could set ind->dust or ind-> sci as your default queue item if nothing else happens.

Or if you could group systems and then build the same improvement in all of them at once.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does turning off economic victory not work? I had it checked off but still won my last game with one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I THINK this building will give your governing hero more exp for every ship you build.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's not a very well documented feature then.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know anything about battles beyond stars, but the Stellar Converter is a planet-destroying death star beam you can build in Master of Orion 2.

Oh yeah, stuff like this totally needs to be in this game. I miss black hole generators etc and shooting planets so hard that they blow up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think Master of Orion 1 did that. You just set the generall output slider for your economic output. Also I think planets created pollution with increased population, maaybe something like that could damp down rapid expansion in this game? There's no real downside to expanding like a madman atm.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any news on when the patch will go live? I really want to get the victory conditions working.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I still love MoO1 in that regard for its simplicity with only one "Planet" per system. This game is rather manageable though build-queue/order wise.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tried sophons for the first time today. That science bonus is ridiculous!

:stare:

Granted, it's my best system by far but combined I currently have around 17k output per round on round 100ish.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently there was a strange calculation bug, that system pumped out 9k science per turn! Then I turned off conversion for one turn and it dropped to 1.5k and stayed there even after I turned it back on. Very weird.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So far everything the intercept command has done for me is create a choke point which the AI does not dare to pass unless it can brush away your fleet. Be ready for scouts stationed forever at your borders, so you have to swat those flies every turn.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got a "wonder victory" today by building enough "Tech portals" from the furthest down tech in the lower tree. Isn't there an influence victory too?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The worst issues I've had with the new version was extreme navigation problems. I had a weird star system with lots of wormhole and ships kept going back and forth between systems before going through wormholes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Anyone else noticing huge navigation problems with wormholes? Worlds that are connected with those make my ships go back and forth between systems etc so they get stuck for a long time before they finally go through a wormhole. I wish I could force warp travel.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can activate the slider I think which can be used to zoom in/out.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Left hand tree, the ones that state "academy slots"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You unqueue things just by clicking on them. In both the tech and construction tree.
You can't seem to unqueue movement though once it started, just remove the target point to somewhere else.

Edit: Also since the tech tree is static eventually you'll know what everything does after 1-2 games. Generally I get the feeling the tech tree just is too small overall and it's too easy to nab breaking techs quickly after you get some science rolling. I think i'd prefer it if you could simply NOT get everything, having to choose between some tree upgrades and locking out others with that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

oogs posted:

I guess I need that code that I kept ignoring... which I can't seem to access through the steam website. I'll give it a shot when I get home. thanks!

steam library -> view cd key. It probably doesn't work from the website though so.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

BitterAvatar posted:

How quickly are you finding your games really start progressing?

I started out one game on newbie just to get a feel for it, and current around turn 55, nothing has happened at all. I have like 7 destroyers and I'm slowly getting colonies settled. Colonizer ships build but not very slowly.

Am I playing extremely slowly or do certain settings just lead to slow starting games?

Around this turn I usually already have 5 systems colonized and some serious research going on. What you want to have is an Administrative hero at the start (at least one), indicated by the crops/industiry sign on their skills. Get Director 1 and then the skill that gives +25 Labor.

This is a huge boost to early colonies, making them grow much, much quicker.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think those are for the fleet, every ship in the fleet will heal 20 hp/turn which is added up for all ships who have this.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
23 should be the highest, I had that much with Cravers and every fleet tech researched.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

enigma74 posted:

Sorry to derail the technical chat, but I'm wondering if this game is a good purchase. I've got a real craving for Master of Orion 2, but at the same time, I'm bored from playing it too much. Will this game scratch that itch?

Absolutely. It's still an alpha, but so far It's rather enjoyable to play. Balance problems are the main source of trouble right now but the game is very much playable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
All victory conditions should work really. I've won a wonder victory, science victory, expansion victory & conquest victory.

Expanding your influence is good for the expansion victory I think, also enemy systems morale will plummet if it's enveloped by your influence. Also various ship bonuses you can research etc.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I bought the DLC today, haven't played this for months. Are Admin heroe still overpowered as gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That looks like a total clusterfuck. Also I'm one of the people who prefer Moo1 over 2. It had so much more charm etc.

• Locked thread