Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's just me, but subtle and Gatsby aren't really related in my head. I know I've said this elsewhere, but Luhrmann might be the best person to make this movie. Those party scenes are going to be so over the top they'll be perfect, and the 3D makes absolute sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I haven't read it and what I got from the trailer was "Legendary parties! Drama! Legendary parties!"

And really, that's a pretty good introduction. It doesn't give away a whole lot of the story, but you know what you're gonna get into when you go see it.

edit: I just watched the trailer again, and the beats it really hit are "Who is Gatsby?", the affair between Gatsby and Daisy, the lavish parties, and beautiful shots of 1922 New York City.

Also, this is the kind of role DiCaprio should be taking. He's such a good actor, but every once in a while he takes a role that just makes me go "What are you doing?" Like J. Edgar. He needs to be doing stuff like this, right up his alley.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 23, 2012

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reich Joyce posted:

Agreed, I would say that I've almost never enjoyed this kind of garish, overexposed style but I love the look of some Tarsem Singh films. Maybe it's the use of CG instead of practical effects but I would never pay to see this film. This kind of almost entirely green-screened style rarely works for me. I saw the 'Phantom Menance' at age 13 so maybe that spoiled me on it.

Uh, what CG? I mean, aside from some of the shots of the city, and maybe those fireworks (and there might have been a few other small things), that was it. All those sets were built, and I'm sure every nook and cranny was designed, because that's how Luhrmann rolls. The scenes are crowded, and fantastic, but not fake.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

The impression I got was "here's the new standard you can show to high schoolers because the Robert Redford version is too dated", not really "this is going to be something great that you've never seen before."

The Redford one looked like it was dated the moment it came out, it was so boring and lifeless, compared to what it should be (and what this one looks to be). I mean, there's only so much you can do with a classic novel. You can certainly reimagine it, and some people want to and will do that (there's a play off-Broadway that's a cool reimagining of the book that I didn't see only because it was something like 5 hours long), but this looks to be a pretty straightforward adaptation of the book, but with Baz Luhrmann's signature style, which happens to compliment the book rather nicely.

It will be shown to high school classes across the nation the moment it comes out on DVD, assuming it's not just horrid, because it has recognizable names, and looks to be pretty close to the book itself, that's not really a statement on it's quality at all. After all, I watched To Kill A Mockingbird in my english class after reading the novel, and that's definitely not "something great you've never seen before", but more like "a fantastic adaptation of a fantastic book", and that's a fantastic movie in it's own right.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Going off of that, I know tons of former drama nerds who will see the film just so they can bitch about the performances and that their favourite cast member isn't in the film.

So maybe it's actually a genius marketing move!

A friend posted on Facebook tonight that Rock of Ages looks awful, and another friend posted that she wasn't impressed by the cast because they aren't Musical Theatre people (or at least the awesome part of the cast that I named).

But gently caress you, Tom Cruise is awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

That's weird. Isn't Rock of Ages basically Glee-style karaoke rock songs anyway? Tom Cruise is easily gonna be the best thing in that movie.

See, I want reactions like that. I posted the trailer and most people have been positive. :(

Pretty much, it's like Mamma Mia, but better. Because Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

I was at the cinema last night to see The Raid (which is loving awesome, by the way) and they had the cardbard marquee for Rock of Ages in the lobby. When I saw the "pick up the cardboard guitar and have a friend take a photo of you being a rock star!" thing on the front, I knew without looking at the cast that the movie was going be complete and utter poo poo. I don't care who's in it or what it's about - merely purchasing a ticket is going to be enough to shrivel your brain with psychic herpes. Don't do it.

I shall do it. It looks like it could be good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charlie SheenCharles Swan III.

edit: This trailer owns bones. Jason Schwartzman looks goofy as poo poo, and it really appears like it's gonna be either really disjointed or Wes Anderson's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not as cool as the Comic-Con footage (then again, displayed on three giant fuckoff screens in a room of thousands of nerds is the way all trailers should be premiered), but I'm still optimistic.

That said, they're wasting the best tagline anyone would/could ever think up for a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie with this one. I know Pacific Rim has some similarities to it (that rumor that the script's skeleton is an NGE adaptation makes so much sense), but unless the giant robots come alive because they're imbued with the souls of the pilot's dead mothers, they aren't really monsters, just giant walking tanks.

The best part of the trailer was easily that last shot of the kaiju just Godzilla-ing the gently caress out. That's gonna shake some theatres.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Trailer for Seth Rogen's directorial debut "This is the End"
http://movies.yahoo.com/video/end-redband-trailer-200405037.html
Its kind of a meta-disaster movie as Seth Rogen, James Franco, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson and Jay Baruchel (as themselves) try to survive the end of the world. It looks pretty drat funny.

This is either gonna be lovely as hell or brilliant, and either way, I don't think it's gonna recoup what it took to pay all of those people.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Psh, all you guys posting lame, non-Tom Cruise-starring action movies can back off, I'm here now.

Newest Oblivion trailer makes the movie look like it's gonna rule.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

"Guys we're not quite there. I mean we have Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise and M83 doing the score... but the movie just isn't. quite. there. Any ideas?"

"How about an older southern belle lady with a loving terrible accent?"

"Goddamn, Thompson, I think you're onto something!"

From the trailers, I bet it's a put on. Like, she's putting on this accent because it feels homey (which is what Tom Cruise is all about in this movie), to make him happy. Obviously something is up with that lady, and the bad accent is a clue.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaganGoatPants posted:

Battle of the Year
Chris Brown and.........Josh Holloway (Sawyer whyyy :negative:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibqRB9Gs9k

I'd be willing to guess that I could probably predict 90% of the plot points in that movie without seeing it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaganGoatPants posted:

This trailer is pretty amazing. I wonder what direction it will take.

I want the latter half of Ruby Sparks mixed with Smart House.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dallas-buyers-club,102163/

Trailer at the link for Matthew McConaughey's new movie Dallas Buyers Club and all I have to say is, JESUS CHRIST. He's almost completely unrecognizable after dropping 40 pounds for the role. Try and guess who plays the transsexual hooker he meets up, its another shocking transformation.

I need to see this movie right drat now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My guess is that what we're getting isn't another Fast/Furious-esque movie, but a cowboy movie with cars. I mean, the high whistle sound of that synth in the beginning sounds like a modernized version of the classic whistle in those old westerns right before the shootout. Think less Fast and Furious and more Good, Bad and Ugly.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Oh and I forgot to mention: that Godzilla piece isn't done. It was leaked. That makes three WB rough trailers that have been leaked now, Grudge Match, 300 and now Godzilla.

Our security has been compromised and it's a poo poo storm here this morning.

I beg to differ: That's the clip they showed at Comic-Con 2012. I've seen an entirely new trailer since then, so I have no idea why they'd still be working on this one, which was made literally before they even cast the thing, or started filming.

I mean, I totally believe it's leaked, but it's definitely finished; it's just test material.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

I didn't see whatever was posted before it was pulled. Something leaked today, I just figured since WB pulled that, that is what was leaked. I actually didn't know the details it isn't my team but I just found out that it was finished with updated graphics so I apologize for saying that.

Also this one was actually cut by Legendary not us so I can't tell whoever it was. The current trailer is being done by the same guy who did Batman and Inception. Basically our #1 guy.

Oh, sorry. For what it's worth, I got a look at the trailer they showed at Comic-Con 2013, which I imagine is a lot closer to what you're talking about, and it is fantastic. This movie is looking so, so, so, so, so good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Legendary and WB just split ways. I actually wouldn't put it past them to leak this on their own to drum up interest and say gently caress you to WB.

Legendary and the guy working on this trailer had major issues with Pacific Rim. We had major issues with Seventh Son. Thank God they took that off our hands.

"He's your problem now" -Boris the Blade.

Seventh Son looks like it's going to be a Lone Ranger/John Carter sized bomb, and releasing it in January is just further proof of my theory.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alehkhs posted:

The official trailer for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddkucqSzSM

drat that's a good looking movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I was a movie exec, I'd just make gif previews of my trailers instead. That seems like it would be easier to share.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Trailer for "Jupiter Ascending." The next Wachowski siblings movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCyL_Pqzu8

I'm...cautiously optimistic.

Wrap it up Disney/Abrams, this right here is gonna out-Star Wars your Star Wars before your Stars have a chance to Wars. This looks like the type of big beautiful sci-fi epic that we haven't seen in a drat long time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lessthankyle posted:

The wiki entry is loving amazing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Ascending

Sean Bean as Stinger, a "Han Solo-type character".
Terry Gilliam in "a small but vital part".
Sarah Campbell as Jupiter's gynecological nurse.

Michael Giacchino score sounds perfect. I want this movie to be now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, it's not like Tom Cruise ages like a normal human being either. That fucker finally looks like he's in his thirties, and it only took 50 years to get there.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

Cameron Diaz is so irritating in comedies.

I dunno, when she gets to put on her full bitchface she can go pretty hard. That last little bit in the trailer was golden.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cloverfield was the Godzilla of the 2000s, people just don't want to consider that "of the 2000s" means "shot at a personal level, where death is inevitable". It's way better than the Godzilla of the 1990s, that's for sure.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

I'm not an editor. But here it is anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bE9zFEGC8I

gently caress yeah! I'm so pumped for this movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mourning Due posted:

Regarding best trailers, I must say that I hated the movie 300, but must have watched the trailer 300 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoxynqDpDA

Owns.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainHollywood posted:

Red Band Trailer for the new Damon Wayans comedy Let's Be Cops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2TpGj6q_qY

And it looks.. good? It kind of reminds me of Horrible Bosses.

Between this, Hot Fuzz and 21/22 Jump Street, I think the Buddy Cop comedy is officially back.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

coffeetable posted:

Hot Fuzz is seven years old now.

It was ahead of it's time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slate Action posted:

Other recent buddy cop comedies have included The Other Guys and The Heat. I suppose they're back? When did they go away?

Police Academy 6.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not bothered by it, but the swearing seemed pretty gratuitous, aside from Diaz's initial "gently caress!" Like it almost makes it all a seem off to be swearing as much as they are.

And who gives out iPads as party favors? They did not live in a good enough house to be able to afford something like that. My suspension of disbelief...

That is one of the most contrived plots I've seen in a long while. Like, I understand why they did it, but boy I wish they could have thought of some other way to do that. Especially because "cloud" jokes are really unfunny.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

that is a scene from Austin Powers 3.

And not even the good one. This is what you're looking for.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Once you slip in a microfiber insole it's actually quite nice

How small are your feet?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I really really want this to be good, but that teaser :wtc:

I dunno man, did you see that guy's muscles?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

There is a 0% chance I will ever watch this movie, because I'm pretty sure those close-quarters scenes would give me one hell of a panic attack.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goddammit I read the comments. Never read the comments.

This looks like a good, funny movie, and that Gremlins bit at the very least reminds me a lot of here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The thing that kind of bugs me about that trailer is they're all yelling at the ticket seller when he doesn't control anything. Yeah, they're good points but why bring them up to that guy?

As someone who works at a movie theatre, let me assure you that it's realistic.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Hardy, you are a very good actor, but you're not cut out to be Ryan Gosling. Really, no one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

A 4th of July message from President Caesar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHVZq20uSA

Man, I can't believe they didn't just man up (ape up?) and release this during the 4th of July weekend, there's nothing good out today that wasn't out last week, considering the big releases are ET 2: Cloverfield 4 Kids, Melissa McCarthy Plays A Wretched Human Being 5 and A Horror Movie.

(and, y'know, Life Itself but that doesn't count because it's a limited release)

• Locked thread