Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
Company of Heroes 2 now available for pre-order from THQ's site starting at $59.99.

Company of Heroes official site | Company of Heroes official forums | Relic News | The Indomitable Company of Heroes Thread

Officially announced on May 7th and slated for release in 2013, Company of Heroes II is the long-awaited sequel to Company of Heroes, and takes the fight to World War II's eastern front. Set in 1941-1945, the game aims to show players some of the war's most brutal and devastating battles, as they command both Russian and German forces through the eastern front campaign; from Operation Barbarossa to the Battle of Berlin.
The dynamic, competetive multiplayer action from CoH will of course be making a return, with both competitive and cooperative modes announced. With features such as the TrueSight system, Cold Tech and the new Essence 3.0 Engine Relic is aiming to make CoH2 a worthy successor.

What is Company of Heroes?
Company of Heroes is a semi-realistic World War II real time strategy game developed by Relic Entertainment. With features not often seen or utilized in other strategy games, CoH creates an intense, fast-paced strategy experience unlike any other. More information can be found in the current Company of Heroes megathread.
The gist of it is: infantry units have morale which affects their performance and whether they will even follow your orders, vehicles have varying armor values which can potentially deflect incoming fire outright, units can both find and create cover to make themselves more resilient, the various types of resources are gained by playing aggressively and capturing supply points (rather than sitting back and mining them), and much more.

Announced Features:
  • All-new Russian faction and campaign
    • Takes place from 1941 to 1945, all along the Eastern Front
    • The AI in campaign missions is no longer scripted, but instead uses the same AI as skirmish mode, making for more interesting battles
    • Russians will be more about numbers and brute force, while the Wehrmacht will rely more on upgrades and abilities
  • Co-op and competitive modes
    • Co-op modes will be larger than ever, due to the high demand and play of CoH1's players vs AI modes
  • The new Essence 3.0 Engine, making the carnage look prettier while running smoother.
    • Producer Greg Wilson says that Essence 3.0 is "on eye level (right translation?) with Call of Duty or Battlefield"
    • HDR Lighting, SSAO, new water renderer
    • Better performance for all PC Systems than in vCoH
  • The new TrueSight system, granting units "true and proper line of sight"
    • i.e. Use Smoke Grenades to sneak through areas without revealing your troops, or blow a gap in a wall to see what's behind it
  • Revamped cover system making cover more realistic, for example: infantry can vault of some types of cover
  • Realistic weather and destructible environments
    • Snow will gather on static objects and can be blown away by blasts and explosions
    • Flamethrowers can catch buildings on fire, which will eventually burn to the ground
  • The environment will play a larger role in-game
    • Deep snow can slow units, vehicles can get bogged down in mud, etc.
  • Base building will remain in game
  • more to come as announced!

Articles:
-Rock, Paper, Shotgun Hands-On CoH2
-Rock, Paper, Shotgun's First Look at CoH2
-Kotaku's First Impression

Lead campaign designer Jacen Torres talk about CoH2's gameplay and says a lot of stuff you probably already know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceGOIpdkNuk

I'd also recommend checking out Full Time Geek, which is an excellent blog by AmiPolizeiFunk (gaming journalist and actual CoH player) covering CoH2's development, release, features, units, etc.

OP updated September 20th to include new articles, AmiPolizeiFunk's blog and removing outdated stuff.

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Pretty pictures:

And now, let us reflect on why CoH owns so hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsFY2T-ZdbY

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 21, 2012

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
After the recent round of layoffs at Relic I was worried we'd never see this (or DoW 3). I think the first CoH is still one of the best RTSes in history (heh) and I'm very excited about this :woop:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The first Company of Heroes blew me away when it first came out. The units I was controlling had dialogue that was matching exactly what was going on. If nothing was going on, they'd be talking normally. If they were under fire, they were screaming at me. That detail really sucked me in and I thought it was awesome.

That kind of quality makes me excited to check out CoH II.

I'm assuming the Warham RTS games also had that kind of dynamic unit speech, but I saw it again later in C&C3. Loved that too.

SSGT Anime posted:

The gist of it is: infantry units have morale which affects their performance and whether they will even follow your orders,

I'm imagining your squads of dudes just up and leaving "gently caress THAT I'M OUTTA HERE" upon seeing a superior enemy force or something.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 10, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I am literally the worst person I know when it comes to playing RTS games. I'd be amazed if I found anyone worse. CoH in particular made me feel like an rear end in a top hat, the unit dialogue, particularly when they were losing/dying hammered home how big a mistake I'd just made.

Probably gonna be there on day one, getting whole armies slaughtered due to my incompetence.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Revitalized posted:

That kind of quality makes me excited to check out CoH II.
Yeah, I honestly feel that I've been spoiled by CoH's amazing voice acting. I've been playing a lot of Wargame: European Escalation lately, and while that game is pretty good in it's own right, it's really jarring to go back to the generic "Yes sir? Affirmative." dialogue that every other RTS out there has.

Also, CoH's soundtrack kicks all sorts of rear end.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Yeah, CoH did 2 things perfect for me that other RTSs haven't. Amazing sound work and making team games actually fun and not an afterthought. Those 2 made me sink so many hours in online play even though the balance has always been fairly terrible (but that's Relic in a nutshell really)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I hope the campaign is as awesome as the first one. Also, voice acting. These two have endeared COH to me forever.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Revitalized posted:

The first Company of Heroes blew me away when it first came out. The units I was controlling had dialogue that was matching exactly what was going on. If nothing was going on, they'd be talking normally. If they were under fire, they were screaming at me. That detail really sucked me in and I thought it was awesome.
Back in the beta for CoH I once selected some riflemen in combat while some airborne parachuted down next to them and they responded with "Those airborne boys can keep their chutes! I'm going out with my feet on the ground!"

It was basically the most amazing thing I've heard in an RTS game

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
This is great news. I always expected Relic to release an Eastern Front expansion for CoH and I was really disappointing when it was just Normandy again. Also echoing the statements about the great sound/voice work in CoH, it's stuff like that which really made the game so awesome.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Awaiting the soundtrack for this game. Music and ingame sounds. I loved playing CoH with the speakers up, huge battles sounded fantastic as shells started flying about.

I'm hoping they don't go with too many cheesy russian accents. I kinda want them to do all russian with a bit of broken english for some stuff and subtitles for the cutscenes, but that won't happen.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I remember I wished Men of War did the same thing, the cutscene English was horrifying!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Finally I can play as the Russians. Time to send hordes of infantrymen at tanks for the Motherland :ussr:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Harvs posted:

Yeah, CoH did 2 things perfect for me that other RTSs haven't. Amazing sound work and making team games actually fun and not an afterthought. Those 2 made me sink so many hours in online play even though the balance has always been fairly terrible (but that's Relic in a nutshell really)

The bolded part is why I played Kohan non stop for a year, and still dearly wish I lived in the alternate universe where rts games had cloned its mechanics and not warcrafts or c&cs

CoHs voice work was superb though. Relic's audio team in general is amazingly good.

Bad Luck
May 2, 2012

Keeper Garrett posted:

I remember I wished Men of War did the same thing, the cutscene English was horrifying!

I always hoped someone would mod the Coh voices into that game. Voice acting really isn't something you can skimp on with an RTS.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything by Relic and played CoH/DoW1+2 to death, really looking forward to a new RTS from them. By Eastern Front can we just expect Russian/German forces or perhaps some Japanese stuff?

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Jesus Sergei, unflap your loving shapki. Cannot see what sort of chatter this game will have. I recall there was a way to mess around to play the German chatter in german, so here's hoping they find some fantastic Russian VA. I remember this game being just the right mix between realism and gameiness for me. It didn't feel too complex but there was something satisfying about being able to trust your inf. wouldn't get pasted while you were microing a tank.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
An Eastern Front CoH? My prayers have been answered! I hope they capture the desperate feel of that part of the war, atmosphere was a huge part of the original.

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
gently caress all the other archaic RTS games; gently caress SC2.

CoH was one of the most revolutionary games ever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well this is basically all I ever hoped for.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Revitalized posted:

I'm imagining your squads of dudes just up and leaving "gently caress THAT I'M OUTTA HERE" upon seeing a superior enemy force or something.

This will be useful for tunnel-visioned people like myself who have no business playing RTS games to begin with. In CoH I would get sucked into watching some beatdown on some part of the map (like my Vet III Ostwind goin' wild on some fools in a hedgerow cluster) and be completely oblivious to the fact that an M10 is running over the legs of my hapless pioneer squad. I wouldn't mind terribly if a unit that is being attack by something it cannot hurt might bug out and retreat.

Or maybe a toggle that would either tell units to hold out or automatically retreat, depending upon certain criteria.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Davincie posted:

Finally I can play as the Russians. Time to send hordes of infantrymen at tanks for the Motherland :ussr:

Uh, if this is old information, I apologize, but the Eastern Front mod lets you do exactly that. I mean, it's comically unbalanced (and the 'no population cap' option means it turns into wholesale slaughter sometimes) but it's fun to tinker with for a little while or to play a comp stomp with friends on a lan.

edit: just don't play it online, because every map is the Sheldt or Gilroy's Harbor with no popcap, and it just becomes a continuous volley of Howitzer, Katyusha, and 25-pounder fire where you turn the map into the moon.

To be fair, though, they did put a lot of work into the mod.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 10, 2012

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
This made my day :D

Bad Luck
May 2, 2012

Revitalized posted:

and soviet base defences that shoot down retreating squads

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

MrTomnus
Oct 21, 2010

Malleus Maleficarum
Tie your laces Ivan.

Man i can't wait for this game, soviets in capes fighting fascism in the snow. It's like poetry to my ears.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bad Luck posted:

and soviet base defences that shoot down retreating squads

Yo I know considering my earlier post this is kinda ironic, but poo poo like that barely ever happened and pretty much almost only with prison battalions.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh. My. God. YES!

3Romeo posted:

Uh, if this is old information, I apologize, but the Eastern Front mod lets you do exactly that. I mean, it's comically unbalanced (and the 'no population cap' option means it turns into wholesale slaughter sometimes) but it's fun to tinker with for a little while or to play a comp stomp with friends on a lan.

edit: just don't play it online, because every map is the Sheldt or Gilroy's Harbor with no popcap, and it just becomes a continuous volley of Howitzer, Katyusha, and 25-pounder fire where you turn the map into the moon.

To be fair, though, they did put a lot of work into the mod.

It wasn't Eastern Front, but I had a mod that removed the unit cap and camera zoomout limit. I lost count of the number of times the game crashed because it couldn't keep up with all the stuff on screen.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is it time for the COHBros to make a comeback ? Is Harm still fat ?

Can't wait for this. COH was the single most entertaining rts for me and to me it is what Starcraft is to Koreans.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
CoH was a god drat fun game but so was Dawn of War and Relic managed to turn the sequel to that into dumbed-down poo poo, so I'm pretty nervous about this. As long as some element of base building is brought back and as long as the single-player campaign isn't full of retarded ideas like no loving saving during missions, then I guess I'll play one more WW2 game.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Eastern front games have historically done very poorly in the western market, so if this game is a success I hope perhaps that can change somewhat because I'm a little normandy'd out at this point.

That said I don't think this game will be a success. I foresee a buggy pile with a poo poo matchmaking system and awful dev support rushed out as fast as possible. You know, like all the other relic games.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Adam Bowen posted:

CoH was a god drat fun game but so was Dawn of War and Relic managed to turn the sequel to that into dumbed-down poo poo, so I'm pretty nervous about this. As long as some element of base building is brought back and as long as the single-player campaign isn't full of retarded ideas like no loving saving during missions, then I guess I'll play one more WW2 game.

The big difference getween CoH and DoW is that CoH is based on WW2. That's it. DoW has the whole table top thing to deal with.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

This is the best news.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The most I've ever played an RTS online was in the free version that came out for a while, Company of Heroes Online. I'm actually kinda sad they scrapped that. I understand there were a lot of problems with it, but surely it wasn't unsalvageable. It was pretty fast paced, but its much slower than say, Starcraft 2, which requires laser focus at all times. Company of Heroes is easily my favorite RTS game, it does so much right.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 10, 2012

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Yup, combined with Relic lay offs and DoW2 being worst than CoH in every way I'm nervous. I don't care about the base building, as I love Men of War to bits, but I really do hope that they don't do anything stupid like forget about supply lines.

edit - I just hope this can compete with Assault Squad because drat that game is amazing.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 10, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
CoH owned, I hope they make this one into an eSport. Note that I don't mean "make it a WW2-themed clone of Starcraft", but just do something that raises the skill ceiling for higher-level players. Other things that would be nice:

- Get rid of silly faction/team rules
- An online system that is actually good, with standard things like observers right at launch
- Map pings that aren't terrible

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Is it time for the COHBros to make a comeback ? Is Harm still fat ?

Still fat. Far as I'm concerned pie hasn't gotten any less delicious. COHBROS ASSEEEMMMMMBLLLLLEEEEE

Cicero posted:

CoH owned, I hope they make this one into an eSport. Note that I don't mean "make it a WW2-themed clone of Starcraft", but just do something that raises the skill ceiling for higher-level players. Other things that would be nice:

- Get rid of silly faction/team rules
- An online system that is actually good, with standard things like observers right at launch
- Map pings that aren't terrible

Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.Blip.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
This is all kinds of awesome news.

COH, after original Command & Conquer, Age of Empires and Act of War: Direct Action marks fourth time someone actually changed or modified "classic" RTS formula towards better. All other attempts have failed miserably, unless I'm missing a gem or two here.

Let's hope COH2 doesn't turn out a bit worse than COH1 was and maybe would be even better somehow.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the main difference between Men of War and Company of Heroes?

From what i've heard CoH is basically Dawn of War II with Garands and Germans. Is that so?

I really love Men of War but my friends really dislike playing it online due to the vulnerability of everything and the mental exhaustion you get from 4vs4s and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mans posted:

What's the main difference between Men of War and Company of Heroes?

From what i've heard CoH is basically Dawn of War II with Garands and Germans. Is that so?

I really love Men of War but my friends really dislike playing it online due to the vulnerability of everything and the mental exhaustion you get from 4vs4s and the like.

It would be more precise to say that DoWII is CoH with Spacemans. They both share the same no-basebuilding/offense-is-required gameplay, but the feel of them is very different. In DoWII you have much, more linear smaller maps and fewer units than in CoH, which emphasized mapcontrol over micromanagement (though the latter is obviously still important in CoH).

As for Men of War, CoH is not nearly as detailed as that. While it still retains some more realistic gameplay aspects (such as cover, armor facings etc) it's generally more arcardey and faster-paced (at least from what I can tell, I never played much MoW).

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 10, 2012

• Locked thread