Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Taima posted:

Seems that the 1070 is going to be the unequivocal best buy this generation.

I cannot believe how amazing the 1070 pushes Doom at 144hz on a 1440 monitor. It's ridiculous. Some of the other games I've tried haven't been as impressive, probably because my CPU and RAM still need their upgrades, but god drat it makes Doom look impressive as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, this kind of needs to go into the OP (or something similar):

1060: Perfect for 1080p/1200p, average to above average for 1440p@60Hz, depending on the game.
1070: Almost perfect for 1440p@60Hz and slightly higher in specific circumstances, merely 'average to fair' at 4K.
1080: Above average to great for high-refresh 1440p, average to passable at 4K, just don't expect a rock-solid 60fps, since you won't get it.
Titan XP: gently caress you, Richie Rich, you already know this card is awesome at pretty much everything or you wouldn't be entertaining the thought of buying it.

From what I can tell the 1070 is significantly better than that, and I haven't even upgraded my CPU and RAM yet (running an i5 2400 and 8 gigs of ddr3). Like pushing 90-144 in most everything except maybe Fallout 4, GTA 5, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. And that's at 1440p.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's your CPU holding you back there, you ought to be able to hit 90FPS in FO4 easy with a 1070, 75FPS in GTA5 and around 60FPS in RotTR all at 1440p. So yeah, the 1070 is great for 1440p as long as you don't demand that you hit 144FPS 24/7 in every game, and if you want that you'll need a pair of Titan XPs and a lot of hope that the SLI scaling in the game you are trying to play works well.

Yeah, obviously. I just kind of thought it seemed like BIG HEADLINE was selling the 1070 a little short with that description, considering the kind of frame rates I've been consistently getting in Overwatch and Doom. Especially Doom. gently caress Doom is really impressive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kazinsal posted:

So the 1070 is pretty solid for 1080p144 then, I take it?

That probably just saved me a few hundred bucks in a few months. :canada:

Yeah, since I don't have more than two monitors and I wasn't trying to future proof myself for 4k (a fool's errand at this point unless you want to drop 1200 on a Titan), the 1070 was a great bargain. I mean, as much of a bargain as a 400+ dollar graphics card can be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lockback posted:

So is 60fps no longer the standard and card needs to hit 144 to be acceptable now? Seems like with every step up in power the goalposts move along with them.

60 fps is totally fine but hitting consistently above that is amazingly smooth. Especially in fps games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Col.Kiwi posted:

Makes sense. I personally love selling stuff on kijiji or craigslist, if I don't have a friend or coworker that is interested. You meet them in person at a coffee shop or wherever, they see the item before they pay and they pay cash. No expectation of any return policy and no way to appeal or dispute or anything. If you're willing to be patient you generally make a similar amount of money anyway, because you don't pay any transaction fees or other fees. The one caveat is you need to live in a decent size city, not huge but decent size. If you live in a relatively small town there may just not be enough buyers.

My problem has always been morons who think I will accept their absurd low ball offers and get pissed when I say no. I just give old poo poo to my friends now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Taima posted:

Wait wait wait. You have a 1070, and you use it with a 21 inch 1080p monitor/ 3ghz 2400 i5? And you're wondering if you should replace the monitor or not?

You shouldn't have bought a 1070 at all. Now that you have though, you should really replace basically your whole computer including your monitor if you want to utilize your $450 investment.

In reality you should have bought a 480 or 1060 and called it a day, most likely.

Also I don't think you get what "Joe Sixpack" means.

That's dumb as hell. I'm waiting on the rest of my components and I'm in the middle of building a brand new system, but I put the 1070 into my old i5-2400 build and it was absolutely a worthwhile upgrade. And lo and behold, if you want to upgrade in the future, you've got a great card to work with.

He should definitely go with the gsync monitor, especially if he can get a 1440p because it will still run most everything like a charm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Taima posted:

If he had bought a 480 and rode it out this generation, then used all of that extra money next cycle, he would be in a much better place overall long term, as someone with a low amount of disposable income.

The way he is doing it now is a waste of money if he doesn't intend to upgrade his bottlenecks this generation. It's only going to bottleneck more as time goes on.

I do not see how this is controversial at all, let alone "dumb as hell" but here we are.

Because some people will upgrade components as time goes on? One of the advantages of PC gaming is being able to upgrade parts over time as needed and not having to drop 1000 bucks on a brand new machine every time a new GPU cycle or CPU iteration is out.

e: And just glancing at 1060/480 prices on Amazon, a 1070 is a hell of a lot better investment at the moment. The difference between the 1070s and the 1080s tends to be 150-200 but when the difference of the 1060 and the 1070 is less than a hundred bucks, I'd be hard pressed to get the 1060.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone else had a new Nvidia 10 series card not turn on fans yet? I checked temps to make sure everything was okay, and I have yet to hit over 55 Celsius in my new rig at all. poo poo is crazy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Only the blower style coolers run with the fan on at all times, any aftermarket one will have the fans kick in at around 60C or so, it's normal.

Oh, I know, I'm just blown away by how cool this rig runs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's almost time to Step Up my 980 Ti from that sale Newegg had for $400 a couple months ago. EVGA still has hosed-up pricing for the 1070 (cheapest card is $430, only $20 cheaper than the FE) so I'm thinking seriously about getting the 1080 ACX for $620 instead. I paid $400 for the card, so I think it'll be $220 plus shipping both ways.

Still crossing my fingers that a 1080 Ti is announced in the next two weeks but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Is Step Up something only certain manufacturers do, and is it only for going from one gen of card to another, or can it be used to move up a notch in the same generation? Just curious.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure most people here already don't use GeForce Experience game setting recommendations, but I always found it pretty useful when I had a mid range system, or at least good enough. Now that I have a better rig with a 1070 though, the recommendations are downright stupid and I have to fiddle with settings a whole lot more. It basically wants every game to do DSR for AA but then recommends that I crank a bunch of the eye candy settings down. :psyduck: Am I crazy, or would most people prefer native res, modest aa, and all the eye candy stuff maxed (or as much as their card will allow?)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay good, that's what I thought. I mean, sure, I'd love to play ROTTR with zero graphical bells and whistles but three times my native res!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm really glad I hate motion blur and have it disabled no matter what. I feel like I'm always getting a few fps more because of that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I mean, "doesnt exist" as in, they might not actually produce a physical cheaper 4gb card. They certainly sold some and AIB's did promise them as well, but it remains to be seen exactly how many and whether or not its just for show more or less.

Ehhhhhhhhh this is going into subjective land imo. The 1070 barely performs as I'd personally like it to at 1440p60hz, as did the 980ti before it. But at one point I also ran a 770 2gb on 1440p and thought it did super well for what it was and was very happy with it. I'm sure the 1060 does very well, but there is clearly more on the table if you wanted more at that resolution. Unlike for example the same comparison for 1080p60hz gaming, a 1070 is more firmly in "overbuying" because in a lot of scenarios you actually don't get anything for iti.

I can't even imagine what standards you'd have to have to be disappointed by a 1070 at 1440p60hz. But I agree that it's ridiculous to say that the 1070 is overbuying and anyone who thinks the 1060 will last 5 years at 1440p60hz is kidding themselves. At least, not without significant hits to graphic quality.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Grumbles posted:

You're both forgetting that the exact same shortages affecting GPU availability are also hitting the console market. The new generation of consoles is also really hard to find in a way that may well impact video game production, because developers will want to target where the main install base is. Obviously, game development wont stop, but it's likely that it will be tied to the old generation of console hardware for a while longer, in a way that won't make best use of new GPU tech.

Yeah at this point I'm buying a 3070 or a PS5, whichever I can get my hands on first. But it's very frustrating to be sitting on a lovely Gpu that needs replacing right now. :sigh:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sininu posted:

What do people use for stress testing GPUs nowadays? I want to see how hot my GPU can get.
I repasted my 2070S and 3700x today and the change in temperature was bafflingly big. I tried handful of games, some with built in benchmarks and I never saw it go over 56 degrees.

My computer turns into an actual jet engine when I try to play ms flight sim. If you have pc game pass or a trial you can play it via that service.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's wild knowing I could likely make a profit off this shittastic 1070 zotac card when I finally replace it with a 3070 but honestly other than the fan noise it still runs most games plenty well at 1440p and if there's goons still looking to pick up a 1000 series card for cheap I'll probably be willing to undercut current resale prices a lot to give someone here a deal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Supreme Allah posted:

Is zotac a known lovely brand or something, because I'm in the same boat pretty much, I'll probably be selling my 1070 when my 3070 arrives. I've never had any issues with it but then again I barely gamed on this rig except for RPGs and stuff which don't exactly push it. Just wondering if I've been using an inferior brand without knowing it.

Just anecdotally I've seen goons gripe specifically about Zotac before, but there's a couple people on this page saying Zotac has been great for them as well. Like I said, card itself seems fine, it's just the fan is poo poo and makes a terrible racket when it spins up and it drives me crazy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I just want a drat video card and the news about the 3060ti (being best value for crypto) is depressing as hell because the performance vs msrp of the 3060ti was one of the most (theoretically) insanely good values the home pc market has seen for some time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As someone who hopes to upgrade to a 3070 soonish, do I need to find some sort of pin adapter or will the card box have everything I need? My power supply is a corsair gold certified 750w purchased maybe four years ago with a ten year warranty, but I haven't done a whole lot of looking into the whole 8 pin/12 pin thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fauxtool posted:

only the FE has the special smaller 12 pin and it comes with the adapter you need in the box. Your 750w should be plenty no worries there. If your model 3070 has 2, 8 pin connectors you want to run 2 separate cables from the psu, not use one of the single cables with a 8+8 on the end. Less important for 3070 because it draws less power and some of them only use a single 8 pin, but still recommended

Figured my psu was good, just unsure if it would have the correct connectors. I am less confident about still having all the extra modular cables on hand but I think my current 1070 requires two 8 pins so I should be good. Would not like to have to psu shop right now tbh, I felt lucky to get one at msrp 8 months ago when I built my SO's rig.

e: woof I just checked and realized I have a 550w, not 750. Is that something to be concerned about with a 3070? I don't do much if any multitasking or anything too much beyond gaming/internet browsing/word processing.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 17, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fauxtool posted:

you are 99% probably fine, what cpu and how many HDDs do you have connected?

Splinter posted:

Unless you have some absolute power monster of a CPU, 550W should still be fine for a 3070.

I suspect I will be fine, I have 1 standard ssd, 1 nvme drive, and a large storage hdd, as well as an intel 6600k cpu but I'm not even overclocking it at the moment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm normally one to say people over-buy power supplies a lot. But I'd be slightly suspicious of a 550 w/ a 3070. I have a 5600x & 3070 and my UPS shows me hitting 65-70% of the 750VA the UPS is rated at while playing q2rtx. And I have no spinning HDDs, and your 6600k is 91w tdp vs the 65w tdp I'm at.

If it's really a good quality unit (the higher end corsairs? you didn't say which model) I think you'd be OK but you'll be running it real close to the limit under full load for extended periods of time.

I would probably have to take it apart to get the exact model but PSUs are one dept I've always tried to never cheap out on and stick with the highest rated products with solid warranties. It would be a pain in the rear end to replace my PSU but at least it would be doable if it turns out I should, so I'll keep that in mind.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fauxtool posted:

Even when supply is great and you get 3 free games they whine about it being the wrong games.

:sigh: one of these days I'm going to time my gpu upgrade right to get like three full price triple aaa titles for "free."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paul MaudDib posted:

TUF 3080 non-OC dropped this afternoon on Amazon... at $1199 :chloe:

Already gone too, unless I just couldn't find the correct listing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kraftwerk posted:

I thought he founded Tesla with the proceeds of his stake in paypal?

A lot of people worship Musk as if he is some kind of living god. I wonder if his work is a net positive for society or if he's actively making things worse for all of us.

He strikes me as a 21st century version of Howard Hughes.

The existence of billionaires is a net negative to society, actually.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As someone who would love to have a current gen card and is stuck on a lovely busted fan Zotac 1070 your friend being a little bummed about having a "lower-end" 3070 can go gently caress themself, no offense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hobbesmaster posted:

Buy some replacements, they’re 20 bucks, this is what I used for mine which is the amp edition and they’re fine, temps went right back to where they should’ve been
=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZJGDSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1MEFZQTJ20F5NAE34B4P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But if I simply solve my fan problem I will feel less justified in lashing out angrily at the state of current gpu availability.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nothus posted:

It looks like newegg will have 3070s as part of today's shuffle.

Huh, it's not letting me enter the shuffle this time, button's greyed out. Anyone else run into this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

change my name posted:

It hasn't started yet

Yep, just realized I misread the start time as end time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

change my name posted:

3070s are dropping at BB

lol, gave it a shot for shits and giggles but the bots are too fast, never even managed to get past error messages on "available" gpus.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canna Happy posted:

Just got an auto notify for RTX 3060 XC GAMING. Seems like they must have a bunch of stock or miners are really actually buying everything.

Every single time I've gotten a discord notification push the link is already sold out

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canna Happy posted:

By auto notify I mean an email to purchase from evga direct.

Oh I see. I haven't had a single notification from them myself and I signed up for several of their upcoming cards (back in November).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling RTX will eventually be replaced/supplanted by a comparable or even superior open-source standard. If I were Intel, this is what I'd be throwing money at hand over fist at to lead with when (or more likely IF) they ever put out a "gaming-grade" Xe part. There'd be no better way to poo poo in both of your competitor's cereal bowls than to come up with a better implementation of what they're both trying to out-:smug: each other at.

DLSS is going to be nVidia's "Special Sauce" for a while. I only really foresee Microsoft being able to spoil that for them by baking something similar into DirectX that they can leverage across the PC and XBox platforms.

As someone who settled on an xbox sex in lieu of chasing gpus this year, auto HDR has been the surprise hit for me, making older games with no official x/s optimization look incredible on HDR displays. And apparently it's something they're doing with software and it works on the series x and the series s. It's definitely the kind of ai-assisted enhancements I'd like to see expand beyond the Xbox brand.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Do not sleep on this if you have an HDR monitor, the implementation on Series X is phenomenal. The only thing I would be worried about is that there are some games that don't handle it well (GTA4 is a prime example) and at least on the Xbox it toggles off for individual games if it's known to looks worse with auto HDR enabled, but you'll probably need to toggle it on/off yourself potentially on a per game basis.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rinkles posted:

Funny to me to see a $2000 pc with 8 gigs of RAM

Also lmao that it comes with a 256 GB SSD

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bus hustler posted:

i guarantee it does not have one ram slot and can take a standard SATA SSD as a secondary upgrade in a pinch, which is fine for games.

literally just going to the alienware aurora page it says "4 dimm slots" where do people make this stuff up? what was the last Gaming PC sold with 1 loving dimm slot?

A secondary upgrade? lol when the included ssd is 256 gb, adding more space isn't a secondary upgrade, it's necessary for basic functionality. (assuming you're planning on using that 3080 to play games that will make use of a 3080)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stanley Pain posted:

I got a 3090 and have been playing loop hero. A 16bit SNES looking game. :smith:

Send me your 3090 and I will happily put it through its paces with dude bro shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paul MaudDib posted:

Last night I thought about trying to snag another evga card on Amazon to try and do a step up but lol every single evga card they have is sold out (or third party sellers only). Every last evga card at any price is gone, except for some 8400GS with the 2 year warranty (not step up eligible).

poo poo I tried to do this three months ago and couldn't find a single 2000 series card at msrp, poo poo was already bad back then.