Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If I'm buying a new monitor and a new GPU at the same time in the next few months, what would y'all recommend?

I've been using a 24" 1920*1200 display for a decade but it seems like all the new cards are overkill for that. Purpose is just general home use / gaming.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

They're overkill right now, but who knows what'll be coming out a few years from now.

I don't know, I have a 24" 1920*1080 and it seems enough for me.

Basically I just want to play the new Deus Ex game with max settings so maybe existing 1920*1200 monitor + new card (rx480?) will be just right.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Froist posted:

Maybe you can read: minds. Sounds like I have the same monitor too (2412M). I'm definitely going to hang fire on that though - I have the tiny MacBook so if I was replacing my monitor USB-C would be the priority, and that market hasn't quite built up yet.

Hah so I'm not the only one -- mines a 2405fpw from 2005!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ijyt posted:

I'm a shitter so I'll recommend a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor because they're just so much fun.

I don't know enough about monitors to get this joke

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do we have a rough idea if/when we might see the rumoured price drop with non "founder's edition" models?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What "rumoured price drop"?

I confuse very easily! But I thought I had read that the "founders edition" cards were expected to sell at a $100 premium over later aftermarket cards. All I'm seeing for sale now are the "founder's edition" versions, wondering how long it might take the aftermarket to show up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taima posted:

What exactly do people dislike about Windows 10? I'm not sure if I've ever had a bad experience with it, ever. And it's quite fast.

I wouldn't have a significant problem with it if the start menu items didn't all expire on me and if the search function was capable of finding things when I searched for their filenames.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zero VGS posted:

Here you go guys, literally one click to get both Classic Shell and Everything Search installed, works on Windows 8/10, you can thank me later: https://ninite.com/classicstart-everything/ninite.exe

you people are awesome people, thanks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyway, is there any particular one of the various aftermarket GTx 1070's that people would recommend over any other, or are they all basically the same at this point?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So is there some reason you can't just preorder these cards and instead have to try to snipe sales like some kind of primitive hunter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So if turns out that two rx480's in crossfire outperform a 1070, will any of you switch over?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

There's also a big difference between performing like a 980 Ti when over locked and performing like a 980 Ti that is over locked.

My guess is that it's this plus it being limited to specific setups/ circumstances plus the advantage being mostly in DX12 games, which mostly aren't out yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Goddammit. I was hoping to order one with a DVI port so I could hook up my old monitor as well as the new one I'm getting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bull3964 posted:

This isn't because they didn't like the experience, but because they liked it too much and were legit afraid owning one would ruin their lives.

For me it's half this and half the fact that get motion sickness really easily. It'd either make me sick or make me addicted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mad_Lion posted:

I'm excited about the 480. I don't even care if it can OC to 1500+ and nip at the heels of a 1070

I am too. I'm upgrading my whole system -- mostly in advance of the new Deus Ex game -- and am looking at a new monitor as well as a new GPU. An RX 480 and a 2560x1440 monitor with freesync/ips/144hz nets out significantly cheaper than a 1070 or 1080 and a 2560x1440 monitor with Gsync/ips/144hz, and that's not even factoring in that the new Deus Ex game is claiming it will be be optimized for AMD and include DX12 support at launch.

I mean, I could theoretically buy the Gsync monitor and the 1080. But I'd rather have, you know, four hundred dollars.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For some perspective I'm upgrading from a ten year old Dell 1920x1200 monitor (the 2405fpw) -- I don't need bleeding edge performance, I just figured it was time to upgrade when I realized all the new video cards that were coming out no longer had ports that my monitor even knew how to plug into.

edit: checking my newegg order history, the last time I got a new graphics card was in 2013 right before Bioshock Infinite came out.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FaustianQ posted:

Honestly, I'd say XFX. XFX has a basic two year warranty, but 1) has lifetime if you register 30 days after purchase 2) warranty is transferable once 3) they really do not care if you remove the HSF as long as you replace it for RMA 4) They're super generous usually, and will even replace RMA'd products they no longer have in stock with slightly better versions 5) Support is notably good and helpful.

Not that it matters since it's all rumormongering, but the leaked reviews seem to indicate the xfx version is going to have the highest factory over clock of what's been leaked so far, too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

NoDamage posted:

While I think it's pretty dumb that you can leave negative reviews for a product you haven't purchased, I doubt that these reviews have any effect whatsoever on sales of these cards. If you know you want a 1080, you're going to buy one regardless of whether some reviewers whine about the supply/price.

Amazon uses a lot of algorithms to weight the reviews. They compensate for this kind of one-star flooding, though it isn't perfect / takes time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HalloKitty posted:

Because AMD needs more. Oh does AMD ever need more.

DX12 will save them, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gray Matter posted:

Whether or not its gonna be +/- 10% of the performance people were speculating, RX 480 is still the way to go for people like me upgrading from a generations-old 7850 and don't wanna spend a rent payment on a vidya gamesing card. 200 bucks is just about right and it will still be a huge bump even if it's not bleeding-edge.

Yup.

Anyway, is there some specific time of day these are supposed to go on sale?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Peanut3141 posted:

I'd be somewhat worried about a consistent out-of-spec draw from the PCI-E slot. Just wait until a non-reference design comes out with custom cooling and 8-pin power. I would not buy reference unless the excessive power draw from the motherboard is shown to be an anomaly confined to a few samples or is otherwise resolved.

Yeah, I ordered one of the XFX cards from Newegg yesterday morning before all this really broke; at this point I think that once it arrives I'll just return it instantly and then buy the next non-reference 480 that's as you describe, just to be on the safe side -- if only because if DX 12 starts taking off, running extra video cards might start to make more sense.

What an incredibly annoying clusterfuck. At least I've still got another month or so before the new Deus Ex comes out, but I'd really have liked to have an upgraded card now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Arg, I may be in a bind. Ordered the XFX OC version of the 480 on launch day from Newegg while I was at work. It shipped; I got home; wait, what's this about the PCI-E specifications?

And I'm seeing specific reports that that particular model is drawing huge amounts through the PCI-E slot (see, e.g., https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qk17o/my_xfx_480_power_draw/ )

Now I'm wondering if I should return it or even refuse delivery when it finally gets here -- except Newegg's return policy for this particular card is "replacement only." (And, for that matter, it's sold out now).

Any thoughts or advice on what to do / how to handle?

My motherboard is a ASRock Z170 Extreme3, though the idea of having to worry about how much power the motherboard can carry without incinerating itself gives me fits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wicka posted:

i am just super duper curious to find out why this is happening with release cards and not whatever AMD sent to PCI-SIG

When I was googling this issue yesterday, one link I found claimed that PCI-Sig doesn't actually test power draw in their current compliance standards.

BurritoJustice posted:

I think it would be wise to return it and wait a short while longer. PCPer recently put out an article confirming the issue and stating they find it concerning, so it's gone beyond just conjecture. In addition, very soon we will see aftermarket 480s and potentially a GTX1060 that may well see a better buy emerging in the same price range.

Unless you absolutely need to play games super high quality right now, of course. I honestly wouldn't blame you. If the PCIE problem ends up being enough of an issue to worry about, AMD will end up having to fix it for everyone affected one way or another.

Yeah, I think I'm going to start yelling at Newegg. The "replacement only" may be a problem but I'll see what they say.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyway, does anyone have any idea how long this problem might take to fix / when aftermarket cards might start coming out that don't have this problem?

I just want to have a new working card before the new Deus Ex comes out in late August. And it's gotta be an AMD card because Freesync is cheaper than Gsync and Deus Ex is AMD / DX12 optimized.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Truga posted:

I'm honestly having a hard time believing going 5W over spec would kill someone's slot.

He says it was the XFX version, and one of those (the same one I bought) is factory overclocked, so likely drawing significantly more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wicka posted:

powercolor's devil giveaway contest ends july 11th, people are assuming the custom cards will be announced or released around that time.

Yeah, I'm just hoping everyone doesn't have to go back to the drawing board and delay things another month and change.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Beautiful Ninja posted:

All they've said is that it passed their internal testing and PCI-SIG tests and that they'll investigate further. If PCI-SIG doesn't actually test power consumption like it's been speculated here, then we might be in some deep doodoo here.

and even that was just because they got caught out during a reddit AMA. There's been no other response.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

spasticColon posted:

Hmm...I'm still hobbling along with a heavily overclocked 660Ti 2GB so would an RX480 be a good upgrade or should I wait for the GTX1060? Or should I splurge on a 1070? I'm gaming at 1080p so a 1070 feels like it would be overkill but at least I wouldn't have to upgrade my video card for at least 3 years.

That's the same card I have right now. I was waiting on a 480 but I'm going to RMA the one I ordered because of the "setting your motherboard on fire" issue. I want a 480 mostly because 1) freesync monitors are cheaper than gsync monitors, and I upgraded my monitor simultaneously, and 2) I don't care too much about graphics in most games but I want it to perform well in the new Deus Ex, which is going to be AMD-optimized and have DX12 support at launch.

Right now my plan is to wait for aftermarket 480's. After all, I've already gotten the monitor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
AMD is claiming they have a fix:

http://videocardz.com/61783/amd-testing-driver-fix-for-rx-480-pci-express-overcurrent-issue

For some reason I feel suspicious of this. I hope that they explain in detail what went wrong and how they're fixing it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xae posted:

Trying to bullshit a fix would totally backfire 100x more than silence. I would really be surprised if their card couldn't adjust its power draw through software. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance impact it causes though.

Yeah, that's basically my fear -- that this "fix" will effectively neuter performance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also I feel like I upgrade the GPU more frequently. Monitors on the other hand seem like the only place were future proofing is semi-possible, since gpu's haven't caught up yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So today's the day AMD explains exactly how they hosed the chicken with the 480 pci-e slot. Any bets on what it was or how theyll propose to fix it?

Also, why the gently caress have none of the aftermarket card sellers announced actual release dates? Do y'all think the card problems will delay those launches?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gwaihir posted:

Apparently I grabbed Ashes on steam thinking it might be an OK Supreme Commander successor.

Boy was I wrong, that game loving sucks. The only relevant benchmark that should be done using it is how long you can stand to play it before the boredom becomes terminal.

On the other hand Total War Warhammer is *great*, though Nvidia cards show a 25% performance drop in dx12 in it (the 480 apparently shows about a 15% gain).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol basically "yeah its repeatable, but dont worry, make sure your slot is clean and it'll be fine!"

No thanks.

I love how the responses are all "it's fine unless you over clock".

There's no way this could cause any problems at all, it's just mathematically impossible -- unless you do the most common thing imaginable, that the card even comes with a branded tool to help you do.

This car runs fine, just don't accelerate too fast! City driving only! It's fine as long as it never goes on a highway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Over/under on that news update from AMD coming before EOB today?

At this point I expect a short statement, at roughly 5 pm Pacific time, saying nothing important except they re still working.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Alleged 480 fix posted here :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1604979/a-temporary-fix-for-the-excess-pci-e-slot-power-draw-for-the-reference-rx-480-cards

I'm not savvy enough to process this though. Basically it's just routing the overdraw to the connector instead?

If that's what the driver fix does, maybe i'll keep my factory-overclocked 480 after all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

That's probably the optimal response but I'm mildly annoyed because I have to admit those are good enough responses that I probably shouldn't just spite-RMA the card I bought and wait for a better aftermarket option instead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

sout posted:

I got my first/current PC custom built and I'm glad I did because the people who say it's easy to do yourself are the people who already know how to do it.
Now I think I could do it no problem having swapped out components and cleaning it and whatnot.

I still use the speaker system from the Dell I had put together ten years ago, and I only just now replaced the monitor. Everything else has been swapped out or replaced or just wore out, over time. But it was a good baseline.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gonkish posted:

I think pretty much all of us are waiting on the non-reference boards, and considering that they're taking their sweet time with that...

I did before the problems came out, due to savings with free sync monitor, dx 12 gains in Deus Ex and Warhammer, and not wanting to wait. I'm gonna keep it because exchanging it would be too much of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I did before the problems came out, due to savings with free sync monitor, dx 12 gains in Deus Ex and Warhammer, and not wanting to wait. I'm gonna keep it because exchanging it would be too much of a hassle.

Trip report: the 480's performance is great but drat does it run hot (peaking at 85 C ). Any thoughts on budget aftermarket cooling for the thing?