Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

El Scotch posted:

I like what I see but, absent a killer sale in the interim, I'm going to wait till the 20nm version arrives. :pcgaming:

Same, honestly. That said I'll be keeping a close eye on MFAA whenever that ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Should I buy a 2nd GTX760 and do an SLI setup, or would I be better off buying a newer card and not going SLI? Power consumption is not relevant.

You will get identical/better performance with the 970, and it'll also have the advantage of all the new Maxwell 2 features, way less heat/noise, and without and SLI bullshit.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If nothing else the 780ti has much better integer performance, which is probably good for something.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

Imagine being one of those people who paid $600+ for a 290x to mine coins.

They kinda deserve it though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

jisforjosh posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an MSI 970 to upgrade my Gigabyte Windforce 670. Was curious if asking $200 for it would be too crazy.

You probably don't want the barebones open air version they're offering, I'd either get the TFV design or bust.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ Pretty sure the 670 and 760 have different stream processors and ROPs (but they are very similar)

AirRaid posted:

SO I've been waiting for this generation for a long rear end time. Going to upgrade my GTX 560 (non Ti) finally to a 970. Hardly any UK retailers have them yet though which is hampering my efforts. Currently Scan have a few. Not sure which brand to get this time round though. Normally I would go for ASUS but that's carrying a £30-40 premium at the moment.

I'd also prefer to have 2 DVI outputs, since I'd prefer not to have to mess around with adaptors (again, I didnt realise DVI was being phased out already, I barely stopped using a VGA-DVI adaptor a couple months ago :v:). Any recommendations on which brand to look for? I'm not against a bit of factory OC unless it adds too much to the price.

I'll probably be keeping my 560 on as a Phys-X workhorse, it's not gonna be worth much to sell.

E: having said that I'm not sure my PSU has enough PCI-E power cords to cope with that.

Either ASUS's Strix cooler or MSI Twin Frozr V cooler are known to be very very good. EVGA's solution is apparently a bit lackluster this time around though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ Unless you have a burning desire for the bleeding edge, you're fine. Until you feel like getting a higher res monitor there's not much of a reason to jump for the 970 IMO.

Ihmemies posted:

Gigabyte likes to stick 3 small garbage fans to every gpu they make, no idea why they won't use 2 good fans instead. Msi has cut the quality of components earlier without telling the customer (article in Finnish): http://muropaketti.com/naytonohjainvalmistajat-leikkaavat-virransyottojen-laatua-vaivihkaa
Msi may or may not have funny coil whine issues too.

I would probably pick Asus, since the cooler is good, Asus doesn't gently caress around cutting corners and generally makes pretty good gpu's, soundcards and motherboards. It's not the fastest nor the cheapest, but in my opinion most reliable.

I don't think they can get away with with Greenlight, for what it's worth.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Smegma Princess X posted:

Babby post here, what is wrong with the stock nVidia coolers?

They only make sense in a case with extremely limited airflow since they use a blower design. Otherwise open-air coolers will always perform better and produce less noise.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Could one of you post a newegg link to a 970 "cooler" for those who have no loving clue what one is, or what a good one should look like?

Look at a videocard. Does it have a big heatsink and fans on it? That's a cooler.

Good ones involve the MSI Twin Frozr model (not the blue one), the Asus Strix model, and apparently the Gigabyte model.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That's what I figured but how do you know if one is Good or Bad?

I own this right now, is it alright? Has fans and fins.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-760-ftw-06-88987-1360.htm?gclid=CO6W8fOa88ACFQERaQodaUsAbw

Looks pretty good to me but I am a non-technical woman or childe.

EDIT: I know the card itself is old, but as for the cooling on it, would this be considered good or bad?

Do some research and compare different cards. Nearly every cooler is good, it's just that some perform slightly quieter/cooler than others.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Kvantum posted:

Which would be a better route - a 970 and a 750 Ti for PhysX or just a 980?

Either way my 570 is going bye-bye once my local-ish Microcenter gets them in. (They only had the eVGA versions in for like 5 hours Friday.)

Unless you only plan to play the scant few PhysX games and nothing else, a 980.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think it's disappointing that MSI went with such an aggressive aesthetic with their 900-series cards, the design from the 700 series was excellent imo.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Shima Honnou posted:

When I say future proofing I mean for future games. I have no desire or intention to go to 4K or a screen larger than 1080p since I don't have full vision to take advantage of poo poo like super huge screens or those ultrawides.

If you only have 1080p then you're already going insanely overkill with a 970, just stick with that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

spasticColon posted:

Yeah I know even a 970 will be overkill for my 1080p screen but I'm getting tired of having to turn some settings down or off on my 660Ti. Plus the card is only ~$329 which is how much some mid-range cards are at launch.

I also wonder if Nvidia is selling the 970 for only ~$329 in order to cut into game console sales which all use AMD GPUs for this generation of consoles.

$300 is still a shitload of money for a GPU and nowhere near the mainstream market.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

tijag posted:

I have an i5-750 box with an HD5850 in it. From a CPU bottlenecking standpoint, would it be worth it to put a GTX680 in that box, and then buy a GTX970 for my i5-3570k box?

I mean it might bottleneck a little depending on the game, but it'd still perform very well.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I get just as much frame tearing with or without frame limiting.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I get mixed results, but on the other hand limiting the frames will stop the GPU from going MAXIMUM POWER and pulling its full TDP from the wall like it was mining bitcoins. Sometimes enabling V-Sync won't even get a card to dial it back a bit. But frame limiting always works for me, unless of course the third part software has a stupid limitation, like how some of them (I think the EVGA overclocker) can't set a limit *above* 120hz, which if you have a 144 monitor, that's not so good.

No I totally agree, Bionic Commando drawing like 1000FPS and maxing out my 770 by default is really lovely, but I was just saying that there's almost never a case where limiting to 60FPS has resolved screen tearing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I find that for emulators I still force my GPU to run at 100%, because otherwise I get intermittent pauses all over the place.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
e:nvm

Hace fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hot Jam posted:

Should probably just change the thread title to GPU Megathread - Buy a GTX 970

$350 is still a lot of money, and the 960 is probably going to be very impressive as well.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think it actually has a slightly lower TDP, so yes.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I really wish some affordable Gsync would roll out here eventually.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Skwee posted:

Wow, ShadowPlay is :krad:

It's a shame you have to reencode to make it not look like garbage on youtube, though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Wrap it up boys, the 980 is obsolete.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Really the writing was on the wall, what with the PS4/Xbone having 8GB of unified memory. The only thing I don't understand is how higher resolutions than 1080p are going to be feasible if this keeps up.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ralith posted:

You can just stay away from console ports.

What if I wanna play videogames :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That's assuming AMD actually announces something. Nvidia should have lower tier products out by the end of the year that worth checking out, though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Is Shadowplay on? If you let it record your desktop, it'll do that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Foxhound posted:

Got a MSI 970 today because I felt like not being 4 years behind on the hardware curve for once. Having a ball with it and played around a bit with the clocks.

There is a problem where the clock occasionally locks itself to 540MHz and I can't seem to bring it up except for with a restart. Is this a common problem?
I never did any overclocking on my old card.

Yeah I've had that happen on my 770. It hasn't been a problem for the last few months though, I think it stopped after I reinstalled my drivers for a separate issue.

I don't think it has to do with pushing your card too far/low voltage, as it happened to me randomly.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Look for an R7 265 (Newegg has the XFX for $130 after rebate plus the 'silver' game card voucher - the card has a lifetime warranty) or spend a little more (~$30) for a R9 270X, which comes with the 'gold' voucher for three games.

The R7 265 is literally just a 7850 with higher clock. Why would he pay $30+ for that?

e: I guess it has the game card thing, but still.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also assuming he paid ~$150 for the 7850 at a local B&M, so there's no reason he shouldn't get the 265 if he really needs to make that $150 ceiling.

Zarcnest posted:

I bought an amd 7850 today. Needed an upgrade from my old 5770. It costed under 100 usd;

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you plan to change up to a 1440p monitor, I'd say it's worth it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Agreed posted:

Just like to reiterate real quickly that a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade for anything less powerful than a GTX 780 with a hell of an overclock. It routinely leaves the 780Ti in the dust in, oh, just about everything, and the price is slammin' :) 1080p is getting kinda complex again thanks to the new console generation; I think a 970 would be a great card for maxing 1080p in most games or getting it damned close in the most demanding titles. For higher resolutions, with all the bullshit going on with some newer games and their goofy memory requirements, it might actually ~kinda be worth waiting to see if some higher memory models come out provided you actually already have a powerful card.

If you're in pressing need of a new graphics card and you don't currently own an R9-290/R9-290X or a 780/780Ti/some flavor of Titan, the GTX 970 is an unbelievable card for the launch price point. Like, daaaaamn.

:drat:

It's still overkill for 99% of titles, even AAA titles. The 960 is probably going to be much more of a reasonable compromise of price/performance.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify my $300 770 from last year, bit it still seems like going from that to a 970 would be kind of a waste.

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
For what it's worth, I only got a 770 because I was coming off of a GTX9800 and was feeling really dumb

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Rastor posted:

Chiming in to agree. I have a 1080p display and while the 970 is amazing, it doesn't remain steady 60fps in Sleeping Dogs or Star Citizen if all the AA and options are enabled.

You should be able to max out Sleeping Dogs without any problem at all, what CPU do you have?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm not really sure how even a larger Maxwell part would greatly benefit from a CLC>

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Skwee posted:

Ha yeah that sticker was really on there good

Also for anyone wondering, the 970 even with it's 4 gb vram seems to run shadow of mordor on ultra settings just fine.
Here is a benchmark I took.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4_AZlTrE0

and if you are wondering:

Having played the game for an hour or two I didn't notice any of the frame rate drops (Which were more like stutters) like there were in the benchmark. The drops could be due to the recording software (I was using shadowplay manually instead of saving a replay) Also video quality might be bad because I just uploaded the shadowplay file directly rather than re-encoding it beforehand.

Not trying to doubt you, but can you perceive a difference between High and Ultra HD? The game might just not load the textures if you don't meet the requirements.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

GreatGreen posted:

Could it be a power issue? Does his PSU supply enough juice to the system now that there's a 780ti in there?

A 750ti consumes very little power.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you have a PSU and motherboard that can accommodate for it, sure whatever. You're going to have s hotter, louder and more power hungry system though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Stanley Pain posted:

It's called the god resolution ;)

Then what do you call a triple 4k setup?