Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I only have a 3700K and I want a card that will run ultra stuff now and in 2018 when I buy new PC hardware I can stuff this in there. 470 8GB seems fine. The fact that the framerates will be iffy will, apparently, be smoothed out somewhat by *sync, which is fine since I need a second monitor to do streaming any justice.

The reality is that "run great detail setting for three years" doesn't meet your guys standards for framerates etc, but I have a low budget because I don't have luxury income. I have to have lower standards since I want 2-3 years of playability for no more than $250.
I think the difference is 'playable' [mix of med/high] and 'ultra for 3 years' which isn't going to happen.
Even now, in 2016, the 480 is pulling under 40fps on the new Deus Ex, with dips to 30 (on ultra). The next game of it's type might push those lower, and at that point you'll want to compromise.
Most freesync monitors have a minimum FPS of ~40, so it won't help you any for dips into the 30s. LFC (low framerate compensation) might help keep tearing down, but subjectively it doesn't give anything like the same smoothness.

e: tl;dr your plan is a good one but 'ultra for 3 years' isn't on the cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I game at 1080p, and don't give a poo poo about playing on ultra, will I notice a difference between the 3GB and 6GB variations of the 1060?

It's my HTPC/Steambox and I don't play games on it that don't support controllers.

I currently have a 950 in there which runs Rocket League fine but it chokes on Dark Souls 3 a lot.

Dark Souls 3 won't stress either. 6Gb might offer better performance in games that need >3Gb of VRAM to shine. You can also realistically just keep texture detail one notch lower on those games for the same result.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Because you're taking $1200 and shoving it up the rear end of diminishing returns.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gonkish posted:

What's the bare minimum that I'm even looking for, here? I'd assume something like a GTX 960 or RX 460 or something?

There is no card that runs off slot power that will push games to 4k.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

You chopped off this part in your quote for some reason: "He has literally never played a video game in his life, so it's STRICTLY desktop stuff, nothing stressful at all, not even 4k video (he paints and wants to use 4k images as a reference)."

This is true, he talked about 'pushing' to 4k and then mentioned no games in the last sentence. My bad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

afkmacro posted:

1070 is having a hard time playing deus ex on ultra @ 1440p. Maybe I should have spent an extra few bucks on the 1080 but the TI is right around the corner. Turbo nerd problems.
DE:MD's 'ultra' is a lot more like a classical ultra (beyond all but the highest hardware that's aggressively into diminishing returns) and if you deselect but a few options, you'll break 60fps easily.
MSAA is aggressive oversampling (leading to that extreme VRAM use) and you can use normal AA instead. MSAA from it's ultra preset to off doubles frame-rates on it's own.
Volumetric lighting is almost imperceptible except in 200% screenshots, so that can go down a bit.
Shadow detail is noticable but both higher options look good.

A 1070 should easily break 60fps@1440 with just those tweaks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

IIRC Miners use AMD cards because consumer level AMD cards have better compute performance than consumer level Nvidia cards (because Nvidia specifically designs consumer cards to have reduced compute capabilities, to force people to buy their uber expensive professional cards)

The first part is true, the second part is just a dumb conspiracy that doesn't even get supported by the numbers anymore. Quatro cards are pretty much just bought for the RAM.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skuto posted:

Are there details on CU count + Mhz?

It's apple, what's your guess?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What's the issue with encrypted anonymized data that isn't shared with anyone and is used to make the product you use better?

Also lol if any of you have launched a game / steam / other game launcher this information has absolutely been sent out a dozen times already.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Truga posted:

Who cares what the issue is? The issue isn't with the data, but with the fact that you're not asked if you want to share it. You might not have an issue with it, but someone else might.

Also lol nice whataboutism

It's not whataboutism. I'm directly suggesting that sharing hardware setups with hardware vendors is a normal practice.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not :tinfoil: about it, but you have a bunch of assumptions there, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesn't hold.
And herein lies the teat the techblogs suck at.
If it's unencrypted; "NVIDIA EXPOSE PRIVATE DATA TO EVERYONE"
If it's encrypted properly: "NVIDIA SECRETLY SPY ON YOU AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY STEAL"

FWIW that guy who MITM'd the traffic showed it did exactly what I suggested.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Truga posted:

Does collect now mean "send to other computers"? I don't think that's what collect means. Yes, it's a technicality, but as long as it doesn't explicitly say it also sends the data to somewhere, that's not going to fly anywhere, even if you ignore the fact that eulas are gigantic fluff that's designed to do absolutely nothing, except discourage end-users from suing. Pretty sure that clause was there for the "optimize" features in the first place, though.

They say use - how can a company use the data, if they are not receiving it?

You're really reaching for the "undisclosed" angle here.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Program collects and interprets your system configuration
Program configures itself and other programs on said system
Program never sends that information back to nVidia.

Explain the local use-case for usage metrics and crash statistics.

PerrineClostermann posted:

But whatever, gently caress expectations of privacy and ownership of data.
This but unironically.

My_PC_specs.txt (no looking please)

DrDork posted:

PerrineClostermann's example is actually exactly how I would expect it to function assuming that part of the GFE package is a simple database of games and "optimal" configurations. Not only does that keep your privacy, but it enables the functionality to, well, function even when disconnected from the internet (see: laptops for people who actually travel with them).
No local asset is going to recognise that GameX crashes when loading assets A,B,D and G into memory at the same time, when AA is set to 4x and shadows are disabled, and perform any action to mitigate this. This data has value when sent to nVidia, as they then go "ah yea this happens with all y-chipsets whoopsie lets push a fix".

What isn't useful is user feedback on the same issue:
"omgggggg nvideaaa u suck i cant play Game X going back to AMD suck my ballz"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DrDork posted:

It absolutely is in NVidia's best interest to scrape as much data as possible. The question then becomes is what they do with that data in our best interest? As has been noted before, there's a lot of stuff you can do with data like that other than utilizing it for trying to improve drivers: NVidia could use it to try to leverage their position with developers to support more NVidia walled-garden features, shutting out AMD, for example. They could presumably simply straight up sell it off to 3rd parties for who knows what. Etc. Is it a little paranoid to worry about them doing that? Probably. But possible? Yes.

Really I think most people would have been fine with it if they'd bothered to be up-front and clear about what was going on. Trying to hide it makes it seem like they're up to something. Just throw a crash-report window in like Windows does that asks if you want to submit the crash report or not and everyone would be happy.

They're not trying to hide it. Oddly enough if you broadcast loudly about your data collection people throw a hissy fit because because people have become snowblind to the difference between essential data to make a service better, and SPOOKY DATA BLAH BLAH NSA????? FBI!!!?!?!

Also you loving WANT nVidia to tell 3rd parties the percentage of people with particular hardware configs, frequency of upgrades, etc, because this is how game studios decide how to spec their games for what people have and not go "well I guess a 1060 is baseline now isn't it?" and get shafted by the reality (which shows up well in steam hardware surveys, which are posted publicly).
On that subject Steam won't even let you review a game if your hardware doesn't meet the minimum spec, this isn't opt in, so just lol at the idea that your platform spec is in any way private.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pr0zac posted:

Fittingly, I'm pretty sure my EVGA 1080 FTW just blew up about two hours into playing Witcher 3. Not overclocked over stock. Hadn't gotten around to installing the new bios though. Computer black screened, audio kept playing for a bit, fans spun up massively, so I hard rebooted. Now it gets to the WIndows loading screen, artifacts, draws a white bar across the screen and freezes. Guess I get to call support tomorrow morning!

A friend of mine had this happen to their FTW 1070 a little while before it went very public. I know it's lots of samples of one and all, but it's a genuine problem. FWIW his died playing DX:MD, not running a benchmark.

I don't even think furmark is a genuine problem anymore. No matter what settings I stick into my 1080 it will always slightly underclock from what you've set when using furmark and the thermals remain logical.
Run 3Dmark or play an intense game and the clock-speed hits the peak overclock comfortably, whilst going slightly warmer.
I suspect cards are aware they're being furmark'd and don't hit peak power limits on purpose.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

PPI? :psyduck:

I'll probably hold off on 4k for a long while, however long it takes for that to become the new standard much like how 1080p is now, if that's ever possible. I don't know if what you're saying about 27" 1440p means that I won't be as impressed with 1440p as I thought it'd be but the high refresh rate and gsync should make up for it, I hope.

I just looked up what an ultrawide is and jesus. :psyboom: I think it's best for me to be impressed and overwhelmed by smaller advances for now. I thought paying for a 1070 and XB271HU was considered crazy pants but this talk of 4k, 1080 and a 1080ti is just mind boggling. Thanks for the help!

As a XB271HU owner, I can tell you that you'll be very happy if you can drive it above 50fps. A 1070 will definitely do that.
Esports-style games at 100+ fps are also amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've been wondering if it might be bad parts too. There has to have been a reason that they all started blowing up all of a sudden after 6 months. Some neckbeard has to have marathoned an intensive game using a case with lovely airflow before now. Cumulative damage, OK sure, but there's a gigantic spate of them right now, why all of a sudden? Popular attention leading people to report is one thing, but like several of them have been caught on stream within the last two weeks.

This is much like how iPhones "started exploding" around the time the Note 7 was in the news. It may only be 0.000001% of phones but if that's 12 phones you'll bet your rear end you'll see 12 people getting attention from blogs.
Random guy needing to RMA his board isn't a 'story'. Victim #10 of a problem is.