Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bloodychill posted:

I don't know what game you were playing mister sarcastic man.

My favorite bit of trivia about X is that Nomura intentionally designed Lulu with all the belts and fur to challenge the people who did the FMVs, who in response put her in as few FMVs as possible, and only from the waist up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man I feel like I'm missing something in FFX. I'm currently in Mt. Gagazet and Auron only has two overdrives and Lulu's barely learned the aga spells and a faq I had been reading mentioned I should be using Yojimbo against Seymour. I thought he was a postgame badass summon?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fetucine posted:

Auron gets his Overdrives by picking up the spheres with videos of him, Jecht, and Braska on their pilgrimage. Most of them are scattered from Besaid to Guadosalam, so you're mostly out of luck until postgame. I think there's one on Gagazet? If you're playing the HD remake, there's an optional boss blocking Besaid village, so you're hosed out of getting them at all until you're really strong, but his second or third Overdrive is the best anyway and only needs a couple spheres.

Lulu just picking up -aga sounds a little late, but not tremendously. Are you using the standard or expert grid? Switching everybody in for boss fights?

Yojimbo is mostly postgame but you can get him right before Gagazet. There's a transition area between the Calm Lands and Gagazet where you had to fight a golem boss. Head back there, poke around the central part and you'll find a pathway down. There's a cave in there, at the end of it you can get Yojimbo. You can bargain him down by offering half of what he opens with and increasing the price by one gil each time, but he won't go below ~200k, which is probably most of what you've got. It might be worth double-checking all those numbers just in case, I haven't played in a while. Yojimbo isn't really necessary for the next boss, though; if you really want to be cheap about it, you can fill up all the summons' Overdrive bars and summon them back to back. That'll wipe out 2/3rds or more of almost any main game boss's HP.

That is hella lame about Auron's overdrives. You mean I can't go back to non-Besaid places before beating the game? That's stupid.

And I'm using the normal grid. I figure I'll just grind in the area before Flux and try my best later.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Nah, you can totally walk back and get pretty much all of them, so long as you turn around just about immediately after defeating Spherimorph. The cut off for not being allowed to backtrack is very soon after that fight. Might or might not be able to get the Besaid one, since I'm not sure if Dark Valefor spawns then or not (I've not tried to walk back in this version).

Isn't there an airship before the endgame?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
After playing Curtain Call I really wish they would revisit the Crystal Chronicles series. That game had the chillest, nicest, comfiest setting with the music and the real pretty environments and the different races just hanging out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I feel I've missed a reference, here

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

good music from the worst final fantasy

You son of the bitch

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leinadi posted:

After about 5 years+ of not playing any jRPG whatsoever, decided to dig out my old FFIX discs and try it out in an emulator.

FFIX was always a favorite of mine due to how... well, charming I found it. Love the artstyle, the steampunk feel. Upon replaying it, this actually holds up even better than I thought. It's a beautiful, beautiful game with a great soundtrack.
The writing is really a mixed bag though. The game is fine as long as it stays pretty "down-to-earth". I like how it all starts out in Alexandria and then Lindblum later on, those bits of the game feel good. But once the war starts it kinda goes weird. There just isn't nearly enough time devoted to this to make it actually feel like a war is going on. First goes Burmecia and then Lindblum. There is no real "weight" to these happenings so they just end up feeling weird and rushed.

As for the characters, I enjoy Vivi and Steiner a lot more this time around. While Steiner mostly annoyed me the first time I played, I kinda enjoy his antics now and think the game, despite his comic relief, manages to deliver a pretty good arc as he realizes that serving Brahne may not be a very good thing. As for Vivi, I remember not caring much about him first time around but I quite like him now.

Zidane is a bit annoying. Garnet feels like the standard "innocent princess now becoming strong out in the world". Freya is probably the most cringeworthy actually. So very DRAMATIC, and the little riverdance scene is... well... something...
Kuja is a horrible villain.

But what's stifling my enjoyment most of all on this replay is the random encounters. Holy hell does this feel like an outdated mechanic. It's just immensely annoying. Doubly annoying that it constantly breaks up the nice background music, drat you game!

Steiner is probably my favorite ff character because the dude has such a clear arc that is resolved before the end of the game and then inspires another character to resolve her own arc.
Him and Beatrix defending the weak in Alexandria while that kick rear end song plays is the best part of that game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I liked FF8. It had a really cool late 90's/early 00's style no other game has recreated, mixing contemporary (at the time) technology with magic and the soundtrack was pretty chill.

I mean listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB30RVWeuP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAQqxUsXWqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jOR3V07Xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txs-MnMiP2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYisFOaz1s

And I can't find the song that plays in that one city where you ambush Edea, but that was real chill too

Yes I found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 19, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I've only ever watched videos, and I haven't even beaten the base game, but FFXIV is worth it entirely from that one quest that has you hanging out with that foppish dude who does nothing but dance and flex

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played FFIX when it first came out because the main character had a tail, but now that I'm less of a douche and I have a Vita, I'm starting it and it actually seems pretty fun. Anything critical I should know, like any "You missed a dialogue option/chest in the beginning, we locked you out of the best weapon in the game rear end in a top hat" moments?

Also I am getting cards? Is there a card game like Triple Triad? Triple Triad was the poo poo.

You need to get to the final dungeon in less than 12 hours to get Steiner's best weapon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder how many people were soured on the game after that really early-on dungeon where you have to be Mini the entire time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So in FFX I'm in Zanarkand (or wherever all those zombie enemies are) and about to fight, I assume, Yunalesca. All my overdrives suck balls (Tidus only has Spiral Cut and that other one where he runs and flails spastically and Auron has that baseball bat swing, and the less said about Wakka and Kimahri, the better). I feel severely underleveled and unprepared. Most of my characters can't progress in their spheregrids because I need Lvl. 3 unlocks which I have no idea where to get. Am I missing something?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yolanda

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think history will be kind to FFXIII-2 and 3, but not 1.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
If those assholes at Square don't add in a new Hildy questline for Heavensward I swear I'll be very upset

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Truga posted:

Hildy is coming back for 3.1

Then if a treaty blade flying mount isn't the end reward I'll be super upset

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Every single character introduces him or herself to Tidus while he awkwardly changes the subject or spazzes out like a retard because Square in all its wisdom decided to let you name the main character in a voiced, character-driven game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy poo poo what an absolutely boring, pointless trailer

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I beat Yunalesca and it feels like it's gearing up for the endgame. Should I be doing sidequests/getting the celestial weapons?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wow I'm looking at some of the requirements for these things and people actually did this? No thanks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like I'm fairly sure I've gotten the best weapons or at least most of them in all of the FF games I've played but this poo poo seems beyond tedious.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But man all of the celestial weapons look so cool.
Except Auron's which looks stupid and I don't think Wakka's is regulation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Can't be worse than the ff7 hack with Judax Ishcariot or whatever that character's name was

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Please let me know about this dumb ffvii hack.

From what I remember the guy replaced Cait Sith with an Original Character named a variation of Judas because "Cait Sith didn't fit the tone of the game where you are molested by burly men in a colorful Inn in the area right before you fight evil possessed houses and a guy who laughs like a retard's dumb robot".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

This is ominous

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I played heavensward up until right before getting a flying mount then quit, this happened last August.
My return is conditioned on there being a new Hildy questline. Is there?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The current detective quest line is super good and has you helping out the conniving inspector and it's building up to Hildy's return.

The skinny Elf guy who helps you out and falls in love with that one lady? He's not bad, is he?
Either way seems like it's time I should resub and take it from there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And I've said it once and I'll say it again but the reward for the next Hildy questline better be a flying treaty blade mount

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It is dumb that XII, a game with a super varied and diverse world, your entire team consists of humans and one tall human with long ears.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Chrono Trigger was such an incredible mixture of writing, art direction, gameplay, charm, incredibly cool ideas, and nostalgia goggles that I don't think it can ever be replicated again in a direct sequel and that is ok.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
https://youtu.be/g-s-VQBoUdc
Motherfucker if you don't get goosebumps from the first few seconds

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
One of the many many problems with CC is that they give you so many playable characters but only three people are allowed in a party, and Serge/Lynx must always be in it and for most of the game you have another plot-important character (Kid, what'sherface the jester) taking up the second slot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Cidney is a stupid name.

Entirely unlike Noctis and Gladius and Raviolo and the other guy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Terper posted:

Happy Birthday Cloud! :toot::woop::toot:

Hey it's my birthday too and I'm much cooler than Claude

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Prior to the FFXIII sequels Lightning was actually the most standard normal person in the FF protagonist lineup since the SNES days except maybe Vaan.

"Half-alien dark knight who rebels against his king and becomes a Paladin."
"Half-alien son of a legendary hero who becomes a hero."
"Half-summon monster orphan who rebels against the empire and becomes a hero"/"Genetically engineered super solider who rebels against the empire and becomes a hero"
"Genetically engineered super soldier who rebels against the corporation and becomes a hero except he was actually a lose who got genetically engineered by chance and thought he was the hero"
"Child soldier who is secretly the son of a weird sorta-hero and the brother of a super-witch and the boyfriend of another witch and the adoptive son of a witch and secret childhood friends with everyone!"
"Half-alien bioweapon dropped off on NotEarth by his evil brother."
"Summon monster who thinks he is a regular person."
"Street Rat who ends up in the party by chance."
"Ex Cop who gets magic powers"

Noctis is like a return to form considering he has a crazy batshit backstory and a royal lineage and whatever.

Squall's probably the most normal guy since his dad's a human and his mom's a human and the only reason his sister is a witch is because a previous witch decided to have her inherit her powers and would otherwise be a regular human too

EDIT: Looking at some of the new FFXIV stuff, that lady in red is totally Yda and totally a Dancer right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I totally don't remember if she has a sister. Stopped playing when I hit his content

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No, it's Xenogears. THE Xenogears.

I wouldn't be opposed to Weltall though. And hey, if this one can transform, they can throw in a Weltall-ID too.

This is the stupidest looking god robot ever

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it's not even in the top ten.

Oh no I remember all of the robots in xenogears and xenogears is the ugliest dumbest of them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the top ten dumbest looking god robots.

Hmm, ok, I'm drawing a blank on that because I stopped following anime in like 2009