Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You think they'll show a playable build of ff7 this e3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it takes a lot more than simply making a good, popular game to have Squeenix trust you with their baby.

Yeah you have to be a relentless gently caress up with too much on his plate who takes a decade to produce anything that can be considered eh, at best

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like I heard the planet cry, the planet's dying Cloud, when they said that the game would be episodic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Varance posted:

That's SO3, and the big plot twist is that the entire universe is an MMORPG that gets restored from backup by the Linegod after the admins try to deathtouch every NPC in the game . If you've been watching the reboot of Westworld, it's basically that.

SO4 somehow manages to be worse, kay. Especially the part where the main character gets mindfucked after his naivety gets an alternate version of Earth blown up, followed by hours of cutscenes where he more or less self-destructs to the point of almost losing everything he ever cared for, including his spaceship command and his love interest... after which you can have him sleep with a 16 year old catgirl from that alternate universe he got blown up. If you think Tama is the annoying with the verbal tic in World of Final Fantasy, enjoy those Lymle cutscenes, 'kay. One of your best party members is a 7 year old with magic, 'kay. And she talks like this, 'kay. Please, developers, stop making NPCs that sound like this, 'kay.

No ono
Lymle is a 14 year old, who looks like she’s 7 and acts like she’s 5, so they went there

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mega64 posted:

SE's become quite adept at fixing its mistakes. Hell, they're probably one of the best game companies at doing that.

I'm not being backhanded either, all companies make dumb mistakes, and that SE is always willing to fix poo poo constantly shows they give a drat about the people buying their games.

To be fair, does any other company gently caress up as spectacularly as se

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Sir, this is the final fantasy thread. I will poo poo on Nintendo when I’m in the switch thread and Konami never because honestly getting rid of Kolima was the right thing to do and who could’ve foreseen the changes in gambling laws

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Bring back FF13’s combat you cowards!

Also bring back fun Cloud, I worry about him

Fun Cloud died at the end of disc 3, all that remains is dull Vincent

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the sony conference is over except for some Spider-Man gameplay and no further news of the 7 remake so

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I do believe that Nomura and S-E belong together. I can't ever get mad at them no matter which insane business decision they take or delay they cause by mismanagement. Whenever I hear the latest news I just raise my hands and go 'That's S-E!'

Of course, it helps that I never understood the need for a FF7 remake. I'll just play it when/if it comes out. But if it doesn't ever get a release date, I'm fine with that too. I still have the original, and it's fine, warts and all.

I won't because it will be bad and not true to the spirit of the original

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

what made crystal chronicles a bad game, aside from the chalice

serious question

Multiplayer, an awful final boss I could never beat

Wonderful music, art style and gameplay though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is Crystal Chronicles the one where one person had to carry that stupid loving bucket around and while you're transporting the bucket you literally can't do anything else and everyone has to defend the goddamn bucket?

Because gently caress that game.

Yeah it was essentially a three player game
I guess you could let the bucket bitch also do healing duty but for that the bucket bitch would have to drop the bucket and that wasn't ideal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys got all these swords and shields and all I got is this busket.

Lame playing with a clavat only team

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leal posted:

Drop the bucket
Kill enemies
Carry bucket to next death zone

You babbies

If that’s the case why even have the bucket
Besides enemies were super mobile and could shove you around

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Conspicuous for its absence, 8

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
FFXV did something no other piece of media has ever done and it was to make lovely ramen look delicious

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Do you think there'll ever be an FFXVI and beyond
Me personally I think they're done with them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
After the shitshow and miraculous recovery XIV was, you'd think they'd be a bit gunshy on doing another MMO

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tae posted:

FF7 is unreal 4, the engine part is not why their production is slow

I think they mean more xiii and xiii versus and xv

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

A big part of JRPG/WRPG/Tabletop playerbases are people who were told they were 'gifted' in highschool because they coasted by on rote memorization and the bare minimum only to find out later they're barely average. They've tricked themselves into thinking these must be the games for them because golly look at all the numbers and mechanics and strategies not like those sportsball games the jocks/fratboys/chads/whatever play. And yet they never actually use any of it electing instead to max the in-game timer out at 999 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds as they grind to level infinity and beat the final boss through the non-strategy of hitting the attack button 150 times in a row which is something that could be accomplished by placing tape over the x button. And of course this works so why would they ever try something different?

Taping the button down would be good for all of one press

Who's the fake nerd now hee hee snort

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So Bravely Default is really good, right? I'm nearing the end of SMTIVA and thinking ahead to what to play next.

All I've ever heard about the game is the combat which is supposed to be great. I like me some Job Systems so that is good to hear. Is there a plot worth talking about? A good soundtrack?

Plot is interesting but can get tedious partway through, job system and music are :kiss:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Second has less good music. Never got around to getting past the town where I assume you get the cakemaker job

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It should have a mandatory 2 hour cutscene that summarizes the entire plot so far, goofy pre smartphone mobile games included

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Because Square has a rock solid reputation of following through with its planned dlcs

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a good thing Square Enix never made a Final Fantasy game where the main characters could be pop idols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAo3futq94

Oh.

The cutscene theme was totally disconnected from the writing theme right, because it ended up being that this cutscene that was meant to show a newly liberated and more fun and modern Yuna following the main theme of renewal and ridding the world of the old order that threatened to destroy, didn't even actually star the real Yuna right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The rest of that opening sequence features Yuna in her new outfit firing guns wildly and doing goofs while chasing around Leblanc and her idiot henchmen and ends with her doin a silly dance she can't stop.

It got the theme across even if it wasn't really Yuna

Yeah but, like who cares the big showcase with these games were the intro fmvs

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tengames posted:

it's incredibly stupid but for a thing that can wipe out an entire village in a minute , and leave an army of monsters in its wake that it might come back for, Not having to worry about sudden, unpredictable death and destruction for even a month, a lot of people are gonna take that offer.

That said if so many summoners fail and die, youd think they'd at least try to make that journey safer then just throw literally whomever offers to volunteer at them as bodyguards.

It's a hosed up world where people die at the drop of a hat and everyone is insanely stupid as evidenced by their clothes. Beggars can't be choosers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

Because Ultimecia herself is a personification of all of Squall's worst qualities and insecurities from the start of the game.

So, a girl you date in high school

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
R=U motherfuckers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

To me Ardyn is basically 'more confusing Seymour'. He's such an obvious villain as soon as he first appears, except his motives are a complete enigma til the end of the game and even then I'm not chomping at the bit to go fight him.

Trust no one who wears a fedora and a goony scarf

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gologle posted:

I literally don't even remember a single character named Josef in any final fantasy game, but you said he exists, so I guess he must be the worst.

He’s the hotel owner guy in 15 who dies offscreen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Chrono Cross has a disgusting over saturated color palette while 8's more contemporary early 2000's vision of a magic future is fantastic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's really loving basic though.
The story is fairly predictable to a point, the characters are mostly two dimensional, the music is really really bad and it looks and feels like a late PS2 game.

I liked it, but by Act 3 it had overstayed its welcome

Dragon Quest's strength is that it takes a super basic story with uncomplicated, boilerplate but still incredibly charming characters and tells a really fun, good, goofy story with genuinely good character moments and simple, easy to enjoy but hard to master gameplay. Like the dramatic, emotional moments in dq11 resonated a lot more with me than any emotional moment in any final fantasy game
Music loving sucks though I agree

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And that's why the game is so good. Oh poo poo the earth will be destroyed in a thousand years, time to go make humanity descend from frogmen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Was trance bar none the worst limit break mechanic in any ff ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

In practice you don't really have to level that many because nobody cares about Kimahri and lategame Yuna overpowers all the other magic users.

Until you get to the ill conceived one on two duel battle that fine it scales to your level but Kimahri still depends on whatever bonuses and skills you give him from the thing