Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpazmasterX posted:

That has to be the most scantily dressed white mage ever.

I think Rosa's got that beat with no pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Krad posted:

I thought it was okay considering everyone would pick on her if she stopped dying her hair (and she had to do it every morning for some reason). :(

Probably to avoid her parents finding out she dyes her hair. They might be against it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Magic side sucks if they get taken down by a few AKs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Besides Kimahri and I guess Rikku (because spunk is always hated), I'm not sure what makes the supporting FFX horrible other than their design.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Without Tidus, they wouldn't defeat Sin. His connection with his dad halted Sin long enough for the Al Bheds (Also wouldn't be fighting along unless Tidus was there) to fly up and fight inside him to stop the cycle.

Also without Tidus, there's a high possibility Sin would end up being controlled by Seymour and loving poo poo up even more.

Support role or not, the world does not change without his meddling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Spiderman Hardhat avatar is occupied by at least 50 users by now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't mind 13 because I'm a dumb dumb for pretty graphics, but 10 had a lot of character growth for a poor first-impression character in Tidus that intrigued me. The conspiracy of Spira and the truth about Zanarkand was also more of a satisfying reveal for me, compared to 13's super evil dick organization is in fact still evil with a space pope.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It looks like SE designed their outfits from Dynasty Warriors 8 or something. Her one-breast outfit looks like Wang Yuanji's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm having a very hard time thinking of many SPRG that doesn't boil down to "I have higher numbers, I win gently caress you enemy." Advance Wars comes close, especially on maps where you can't build units. X-Com is another series that's much more tactical mainly because of the cover system and Overwatch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Even X-Com ends up being "Get to a high level and get good equipment and stomp all over the game" tho'. Both classic and new format. It's not quite TG Cid Solos The Game but Ghost Armor or Squadsight Snipers are almost there.

On classic and impossible, you can get very easily hosed over even with the best equipment.

At a certain point in FE: Awakening, you can literally skip all actions and win maps with only two characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

A lot of the Fire Emblems I've played also fall into that trap of including Orlandus in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

You are the first person I have ever seen that said Guy is broken. He's really average.

edit: I mean, he's not even in the top 15 of good characters for that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The general cheese strategy is to equip everyone with Auto-Reflect and Auto-Regen. Summon a lot to let Auto-Regen heal, and have Vivi reflect off your team for auto 9999 damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

The FF characters are barely there, and the only major interaction with each other they get is that one scene in KH2 of everyone fighting Heartless.

Wait, then what do you call the first KH when Sora first meets Squall Leon in the town world?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

fronz posted:

I still like all the cloisters except Bevelle, which is still incomprehensible to me.

If I didn't have the gameinformer guide telling me how to beat the Bevelle, I would not have finished FFX. I cannot figure that slow-moving platform dungeon out at all, especially if you were going for Anima.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

People say "anime va's" when they are very ignorant that the voice acting talent in general is very shallow in California, especially in union. It's a very incestuous type of work hiring and the conditions are pretty meh to decent at best.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

1st AD posted:

The best Final Fantasy games are 5 and 6 because they were still stuck in a low-tech era where anime bullshit could not feasibly be reproduced in a video game.

Someone's just living in denial.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if people would have a lesser opinion of pre-FFX games if they were all redone with voice acting.

There are certainly people that hate the notion of voice-acting in any game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I have to wonder why in the world Square would actively avoid localization. Like, what were they thinking when they had the director say "act just like the Japanese voice actors."

Square in general is incompetent. All the great writers and others are on the Eidos side.

1st AD posted:

Though bad direction still would've ruined it.

People severely underestimate the difference between a good director and a poo poo one. I would say getting a great director is by far one of the most important things to do first for a voice-acting production, the actors/actresses can be fixed more easily.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

1st AD posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? I played the game and had no idea any of this was going on.

The answer is always quite literally: It's Shion's fault. Everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

If your first film is a massive failure despite bringing in $85 million at the box office you set your sights way, way too high.

I would say it's a safe bet it wasn't anywhere near profitable considering technology to animate and mo-cap back in the day it was made.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, I thought FF 15 was going to be about the Pope vs. the Mafia. Did I assume horribly wrong?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A stamina bar for running? In an RPG? Come on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

That's a cool way to look at it, but I have to wonder: should they look cohesive? Is that really a good thing? I mean, they're not a military unit here, why are they all wearing the same uniform? Why do they all have the same shoes? These are presumably six dudes, yeah? Pick five of your friends, how many times will your footwear be repeated?

I thought it was obvious they're a mob/Yakuza company?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What the FF7 LP has told me is that even people that played the game completely forgot the plot of the game, most commonly attributing Tifa and Aeris with the opposite personalities (Tifa is the sweet, nice girl while Aeris is the tomboy).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The least impactful playable character in X might be...Lulu? Can't really remember what she impacts the story as much as the other members.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Because why are you wasting an extra 6-7 minute on a single battle when you can just kill the thing in half the time of a summon?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

Seymour was the least effective villain in the world since your party kept killing him before he got to actually do anything evil. It's comical in a way, but as an antagonist he was pretty terrible.

What? He killed his father. He was already evil way before Tidus came to the world.

edit: Also massacred a Ronso tribe.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like 10 because it does a lot of neat twists and then change expectations on those twists I.E. revealing your father is the big bad is the ultimate reveal in most games, but casually dropped in and then the character deals with this information.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FFX was one of the first huge games that had voice-flap voice acting, and honestly the VA would've been pretty decent overall if Yuna's VA followed her co-workers and not care about the lips.

Yeah, the reason why Yuna's lines are so quick and awkward is because she thought she had to literally follow the lip movements instead of play around the timing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr E posted:

As far as I know that's because she tried to stay with the lip syncing rather than talking like a human being.

Yeah, that's basically it. She's much better in X-2 after she learned from her mistake, though that's the director's fault for not catching on early.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is the gameplay Kingdom Hearts esque or more like Crisis Core?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I wonder what happened to move up a release date a whole 2 months?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Verranicus posted:

It's basically been considered the best Final Fantasy game to come out since the PS2 era, as far as I know.

For any goons using PPSSPP to play, I've had the most luck using the 9.7.2 builds of it. There's no way to get rid of the gray shadows, but the game runs silky smooth and looks great.

Is there something wrong with the 9.8 version?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I keep trying to download the patcher, but it keeps stopping at 85~ percent, 3 times now. Is it my end or theirs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

97% and it stopped. I think I wasted 10 gigs of bandiwith on trying, I give up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Goddamn the opening to the game is pretty brutal as hell. Doesn't seem like a Final Fantasy game at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone got PPSSPP graphic settings? Looks kinda grainy from my current setting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, just got to the 2nd mission type where they introduce RTS poo poo. It makes me mad they never developed a similar combat system for the console FF's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For those that played Type-0 before:

1) Do I have to grind my cast or is the story by itself simple enough without learning the complexities?

2) Do you ever really need to use items, because going to the menu in real-time feels really slow and awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think there might be a hell lot more party members because the Reserve slots barely fit in all the current characters up to mission 2, so I assume more will join? Or maybe not, and the reserve slots are a tease.

By the way, always make sure you have someone that can hit long-range in your 3-man party (retreated because I literally couldn't hit snipers in one area).