Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That loving Sned posted:

Her name reveal in FFXIII was like Kill Bill Volume 2, but not funny.

"My name is Snow, and I'm here to blow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Silly Voodoo posted:

(Also WA4 doesn't exist.)

Yes it does and it's a lot of fun :colbert:

WA5 can screw off though. Frickin' Dean.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WA4 had the best death ever. A vampire (who wasn't really a vampire he just got some residual power by being a hemophile and drinking his girlfriend's (who was a Crimson Noble/vampire) blood) die by having fighter planes thrown at him by Arnaud cowardly hitting a control panel while being a big wuss. I wish I could find the video because it's great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

....wasn't talking about Silver Star Harmony. Talking about the last new Lunar game.

Running on the map taking your HP away was the dumbest thing ever.

Edit: Also Megami Tensei is still around and doing wonderfully. Even if you don't like Persona, SMT4 was (probably but I'm AU/EU) great and Soul Hackers was a thing too.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Is it just me or that screenshot, or is she like that in TAY?

The latter. I wouldn't play TAY if you're expecting a good story or anything. The combat is fine, but it's just kind of.. more FF4, yet dumber.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You know, I knew her proportions were super weird and awful, but this one really drives it home.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone know what the res is for the new Final Fantasy VII Steam release?

Seems like it just runs at whatever your desktop is; the screenshot I took is 1080: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/504698158363110476/A3FB99A95668D85766D27ED5C1C62415FE2ADAF4/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Adeptus posted:

The Steam forums are saying that controllers work, but the analogue stick is basically mapped to the d-pad directions, which is kinda clunky.

Well, the original game didn't support analogue controls either. I think?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Maybe not the PC version, but the PS1 version was old enough that the Dual Shock existed at the time.

Aaah right, my bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dross posted:

So you're saying that much like everyone that plays it, Square washed their hands of FFVIII as soon as they were done.

Basically no Japanese developer outside of Falcom and maybe From know what source management or archiving are. For example, unless Devil Summoner 1 is totally remade, we'll never see it in English because the source code is just gone. The PSP port was a Saturn emulator of all things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

They actually wanted her to become the world's first digital actress IIRC - reusing the same model for whatever poo poo they had in the pipeline.

Funny, considering that Warp had already done that with Laura, and there was some other Japanese digital actress that already existed, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

8-4 also did Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

I don't want to believe they submitted the whole "nappy time" set of lines.

:smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah no, I'm done.

Come on, Kimahri had AT LEAST five lines and only three of them were grunting! That's great character development!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This huge-boobed mayor and her servant were legendary guardians as well.
Just because your rack is huge, you think you can act superior...

I'm sorry, what?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

The only summon you should ever use in FF8 is Doomtrain because it's motherfuckin' Doomtrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VjvBaMHJg

You can't even suplex him!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Delsaber posted:

I used to think that FFVI got the shorter end of the stick with its localization

I admit, I'm curious as to why you thought that. Even when I was younger, renting FF7 as my first RPG and trying to play it without owning a memory card (:suicide:) the text didn't feel right to me. A couple years later when I played FF6, I didn't have anything remotely like that feeling.

Also this guy are sick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So, if one was wanting to play FF7 for the first time in about ten years (Steam/PC re-release), what's the best way to totally steamroll it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Get Enemy Skills Materia, get some spells (Aqualung is a good one), basically wreck everything.

Trasson posted:

Best as in best or best as in easiest?

Put your people in Fury with Hypers, and spam Limit Breaks. You unlock X-2 Limits by using X-1, and unlock new X-2 Limits by having that character kill a bunch of guys. While the actual specifics may vary, you'll be hard pressed to find a character whose higher leveled limits don't own (Vincent and Cait Sith are the exceptions).

Alternatively, when you get Enemy Skill, just use that a bunch. You'll get a few good ones without even having to use an FAQ, and you get stuff that packs the punch of offensive magic without any of those annoying Strength and HP minuses.

Easiset, yeah. I kinda just want to blow through the gameplay bits. How does the "booster" thing work? Also how easy is it to get Enemy Skills?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Delsaber posted:

As long as the character holding the Enemy Skill materia can survive the attack, they can learn the skill. It's also worth noting that for defensive Enemy Skills like White Wind and Big Guard, you'll need to take control of enemies and cast those skills on your party yourself with a Manipulate materia. You might want to do this with offensive Enemy Skills as well just to eliminate the waiting and random factors.

Hmm, and the Enemy Skill Materia and Manipulate Materia themselves? How easy are those to come across? Sorry for the questions, it's been..quite a long time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

closeted republican posted:

You get your first Enemy Skills materia in Hojo's lab after freeing Aeris and Red XIII, while Cait Sith comes with Manipulate.

EDIT: Damnit.

ImpAtom posted:

Enemy Skill is basically directly in your path, you can't miss it. It's in the tank at Hojo's lab. Cait Sith comes equipped with Manipulate.

Wonderful! Thanks, all!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Its Laura Bailey not Jennifer Hale who voices Serah. Unless Hale does voice someone else idk.

They're probably referring to the costume DLC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You glorious bastard.

:golfclap:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Another great part of the same talk was when he was talking about planning for 2.1 and people on the dev team asked him if he could make, like, 40 new pieces of music for it. He didn't manage that much, alas, but at least he's going to be regularly coming out with brand new tracks for version updates, which is great.

Bloody hell. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Mitsuda and put himself in the hospital.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mazed posted:

With this FF3 talk, I kinda want to play it. All signs point to the DS version being crap, and playing a retro NES FF might be kinda fun, but does it have a translation patch around?

There's a couple. I'd probably go for one of the newer ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

The Chrono Trigger Ds port is really good other then some added content which is completely optional and mediocre.

It also uses a different translation, which probably isn't an issue for most people, but I love the Woolsey script.

:sigh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The logical next step is gun-guns.

actually that would probably fit in FF just fine...

Resonance of Fate?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

If only it actually showed up like that ingame.

Yeah, I really wish that was the case.. Hero Running with a ridiculous pistol with eight scopes, a laser sight, drum and six stocks would be amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vashyron was an amazing character. "I think that qualifies as mad skills" and all his other quotes are burned into my mind. Just fantastic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They mean Vector the Crocodile, obviously.

:colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You forgot the middle-aged Brazilian ninja, whose master is a giant talking drunken master cat who you help bust Al Capone out of prison. Also the magical girl vampire who has a nasty sweet tooth and different powers depending on how fat she currently is.

Oh, and you get sidequests from H.P. Lovecraft.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yep, because it contains "Fantasy Violence" instead of "Mild Fantasy Violence" like the other two games. ESRB ratings are weird.

You think the ESRB is weird..

Apparently we have some amazingly badass version of Atelier Totori Plus that nobody else has.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It can always be worse. It could have been the cast of SO3.

Jesus. You think SO4's party (i.e., one that contains a dumbass space elf that turns into Satan, a brain damaged 15 year old in the body of a six year old who cries out for "nappy time" with the main character, EDGE MAVERICK and a catgirl in bondage gear) is better than SO3's cast of mostly goofballs (and Cliff) that weren't actually outright offensive?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

That guy kind of ruled because the game didn't even really try to redeem him. It's like if Sephiroth had joined the party in FF7 for no adequate reason.

Yeah, he was an utter rear end in a top hat, revelled in it and the game let him do so. Albel was pretty alright.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Wait there's multiplayer? :psyduck:

There is. If you liked the tacked on multiplayer in Zone of the Enders, then hoo boy you'll love SO3's multiplayer! I think it supports the multitap for four players, actually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Edge Maverick?

Excuse me, his name is EDGE MAVERICK.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is the digital version of X/X-2 HD for PS3 ever going to be a thing or am I going to have to go get a physical copy?

It's on the store dude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I have spent the past 40 mins on the PSN store and I can only find the Vita version. Even when I straight up searched for 'Final Fantasy X'.

I searched "Final Fantasy", then filtered to PS3 and that got it to show up. I won't disagree that PSN's search function is pretty weird, though, so I can absolutely understand having trouble finding it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I guess the question is, which one allows you to break the game over your knee easier, even if you're a total dumbdumb like me?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Systematic System posted:

If you want to break the game, do the Expert Grid. Teach everyone Steal/Use early on, and thrash everything with how broken items are.

Will do, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So if I stuffed up and missed the destruction stuff in the very first two temples, can I go straight back? I'm still at Kilika.