Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
id like a ff9 port with better uncapped fps. that's all i want. 15fps battles make me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the desert continent in lightning returns is kind of a drag but the rest of the game was really good. that's my ultimate opinon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I also like that by the end of LR everyone gets what they want except hope because his mom's still dead as poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

When Final Fantasy XI was released, Square Enix released a game on time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Remember when Capcom released games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually capcom is probably in real trouble of collapse

Our policy of pouring money into marketing games and then canceling them didn't work???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Deep Silver presents Megaman 11

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Artix posted:

So is it just my system or is the 13-2 PC port garbage? I was seeing a pretty solid 40-60 FPS on 13 and I'm lucky to see anything over 30 for 13-2. Admittedly my system is a couple years old but I didn't think it would be that much worse than the 13 port.

30fps is better than the console version ever gets. also assuming you're running it above 400p you're also at a higher resolution :)

they took an engine designed to display corridors and tried to make it handle towns and people. it doesn't work very well.

13-3 is open-world and on my 360 i'm lucky to get above 15fps

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not talking about Tactics. I'm talking about Tierkreis and whatever the PSP one was called.

After reading a LP of Tactics rather than trying to replay it, I have to say that Tactics might try to unfuck 4's story but it manages to add its own really dumb poo poo to it, complete with Goat-thing mommy and her immortal son(:wtc:) from the tree's dimension. But nothing tied to Suikoden 4 can ever not be stupid I guess.

That's true! But on the other hand, Tactics is pretty well paced for an srpg and mechanically it is interesting, neither of which can be said about Suikoden 4

S4 is my pick for worst jrpg. Nothing else comes close. Even Tierkreis had a loving world map.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FF13-2 tl;dr: CHOCOBOCOLINA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Relin posted:

Do they ever address in the supplementary materials if the fal'cie's plan to open Etro's gate would have worked

Why was Odin reincarnated as a chocobo if the cycle of reincarnation had stopped with etro's death

Was Snow still a Cactaur l'cie in lightning returns

Did Anima or Pulse brand the main cast

Where is Lindzei, Pulse seems to be in the same dimension as Benny until summoned at the end of LR

Why did the war of transgression even need to happen, wouldn't the lindzei fal'cie just let them destroy cocoon to open the gate

I hate these drat games' plot

The cast's brands have the Anima symbol so that's who branded them. But everything else, gently caress if I know.

E: just did the chocobo friends quest in lr. Adorable :3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning murders the poo poo out of Bhunivelze while dressed like a crazy person, so she's the new head of religion imho

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I like the monk garb in lr which lets you airjuggle people with infinitr roundhouse kicks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hahaha OK Hope is god, this game is amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dubious posted:

Finally got to sink some time into Lightning Returns today, and man, this is actually A Good Game.

Yeah, it's really good. I actually beat the final boss just now, which was pretty drat hardcore. Even that part is well designed, though: you can't leave the final area, but it automatically gives you some decent garbs when you get there, and the monsters drop plenty of EP and gil (and some acceptable weapons too) so you can stock up on recovery items at the shop before you enter. Plus, you can start New Game + at the door before the final boss, if you want!

that ending, though, was loving hysterical. i don't even want to ruin it for you, it's much better when you don't know what is going to happen

e: something i didn't quite figure out until fairly late: stagger power is completely unrelated to damage, so it is useful to have one garb set up for speed and staggering (and defense, possibly) to the exclusion of all else, which you switch to when the others are used up.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 13, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

welcome to paris

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

J-Spot posted:

For popular series reviewers tend to temper their scores based on general gamer sentiment, so public opinion on the series has to turn before they can give it poor reviews. The next game in the series then has points deducted for being associated to the previous game.

hence lightning returns's 66% metacritic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

And Suikoden 5 not being able to save the series from Suikoden 4's FF13-grade awfulness even though it was probably the 2nd best game in the series, though it's long as gently caress. :negative:

plus it has the worst pacing ever. you spend like six hours on the loving tournament subplot that hardly even matters since it turns out to be rigged anyway

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

trying that randomizing thing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Locke knows a skill that summons a random Esper, and Edgar can summon PHANTOM at will, making everyone invisible.

On the other hand, Sabin knows Sketch. So...

e: cyan got some raccoon power

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 14, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MONSTER IN A BOX

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I fought a Zombie enemy that used Fenix Down on itself, dying instantly

????

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I was so certain XIII was terrible and I hated every second of it (except Vanille oddly) but the thread seems so positive on it I kind of want to try it again.

No, just skip ahead to 2 or, preferably, 3

13-3 is one of the better jrpgs of the generation

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

So how does it deal with the Vargas fight? Also I'm guessing if you run in to Vargas and don't have Sabin/Blitz or the ability to deal about 10k damage in 60 seconds you're just hosed?

he gets nerfed so you just have to spam attack with sabin and he goes down

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Smoke Bombs work on MONSTER IN A BOX, which is good in case you also hit the atmaweapon or kefka in a box

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm rolling with Locke, who is a weirdly colored Galuf who summons random Espers, Edgar (who looks like Sabin) who can dance and also make everyone invisible, Gogo (who is a berserker a la Umaro and regularly does 2k a hit) and Setzer, who looks like Umaro and has a weird skill called BLOWFIS, which does 1k for free (also he can dispel)

GalufLocke also has a morningstar that he beats the poo poo out of people with, he is basically my best character in every way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah its good as a standalone

All the stuff that matters is mentioned in flashbacks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I will restart my beyond chaos run soon since the save got corrupted somehow ;_;

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

100% of characters to be dubbed by Nolan North

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tae posted:

Make the japanese lip-synched cutscenes as free DLC, wow that was hard hire me Square

That's what they did with Lightning Returns so I'm assuming the same will be true with XV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FFXV will be delayed so long that consoles will no longer exist by the time it's out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I hope it has slots

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sunning posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/16/mevius-final-fantasy-upcoming-smartphone-game-yoshinori-kitase/

It looks like a back to basics JRPG starring Yoshinori Kitase as Producer, Kazushige Nojima as Scenario Writer, Toshiyuki Itahana as Character Designer, and Hironobu Sakaguchi as 'Sir-Not-Working-On-The-Game-But-Still-Appearing-For-The-Photo-Shoot.'

It'll never be localized so who cares

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also squeenix has been one of the few companies that supports the PSTV with its vita releases, so I might buy one of those if this game does get a release. Fuckin falcom refuses to let ys games run on it!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You heard it here first folks, the entire reason to own a vita is to be a toilet :smug:

Also I only ever played one of the PS2 era SaGa games and boy was it really bad. Did I just start on a bad one or is it just not for me.

Well, if it was the one where you move around a board game thing and use roulettes to pick attacks, then yes. You picked the bad one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Unlike FF, no SaGa game is the "right SaGa game to play" because even the best ones are loving weird and hard to get into even for JRPG's. Fun as hell if you do, though.

Actually, it's Saga Frontier 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Ever SaGa game is the best game in the series.