Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Thunderfinger posted:

Really, blip.tv and YouTube seems to be LP's favorites.

Even if blip.tv is very very skittish about allowing LP videos or not. Although I assume this is more based on popularity or used bandwidth or something really arcane on their end.

My only issue with Youtube is that the automated copyright claims can be a little bit too annoying at times. A reason why I can't upload some of my stuff to it as a backup when Viddler removes them.
Well that and some of my videos are longer than the limit but I only have myself to blame for being dumb like that back then.

ivantod posted:

Did everybody receive this email from Viddler? I have a bunch of LP videos there but haven't got any new emails from them?

Yeah I haven't gotten that message either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Just a heads up: blip.tv just went down, so you might want to have all of your videos backed up just in case if something happens. Just letting you know.

Seems to have been a false alarm as it works on my end at least.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

I know all about this game, and DEMAND you use this title.

I know some about this game, and I demand the same thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nohman posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask, but I am curious what LPs those that have done multiple have enjoyed completing the most. And the least for that matter. I'd be interested to hear from the perspective of the people that do the things.

I would have to say all of them for various reasons but going with a gut reaction I would have to say the first Halo game. Always liked it and the setting somewhat too and I enjoyed LPing it. Sure there are things I'd done differently now in terms of video quality and editing but as a first serious attempt at LPing it ended up not bad at all.

But then at the same time as I said I like the others I've done as well for various reasons, Chaos Theory because I think it's one of the best stealth games and I wanted to show it off so bad and HAWX 1 and 2 because I wanted to show a really faulty game that still was very enjoyable to play at times.
I mean I found myself rewatching some of those videos just recently because of that.
And for Halo 2 I simply felt a slight obligation of "finishing the fight" so to speak. Still wish I could do a proper job with that and do the rest.

Geop posted:

Coming off of my first LP (where were so many things wrong with it that I can't stand looking at the videos)

Know that feeling all too well. My first LP here was System Shock 2 and I just ended up deleting all the videos for it everywhere because I absolutely hated it. Now with the new functionality patch I may just end up redoing it and do a better job at it. Probably not. v:v:v
Got lot's of dream projects I kinda want to do but can't for various reasons. But then again that's probably a common thing for most people.

Sylphid posted:

Not to sound insulting or anything, because I loved your AC2 LP, but is there any particular reason it took that long? I know AC2's a fairly long game on its own, but I'd likely have more trouble with the first one, given how annoying some of the later missions are.

As far as I can remember he played it first on PS3 (or was it 360?) before that ran into troubles and he had to switch to another console which later on gave up on him. It was the standard LP curse going on for a while there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Geop posted:

That was AC1, actually. The 360 red-ringed (which put things on hold for a month or two), so it had to be replaced. I started on the PS3 in the initial videos, but switched after an hour or two; AC1 & AC2 had ridiculous amounts of screen-tearing on the PS3 compared to the 360. I hear it's been pretty even between them since Brohood.

Ah. I stand corrected then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

whitehelm posted:

I'm not sure where you got this impression, but Vimeo is certainly not the "other option". Any LPs on Vimeo get deleted, and no one here's used it for a long time. The other option is actually blip.tv now.

Funny thing is that my LP videos still haven't been deleted off Viddler. :v: Nor have they touched my account or messaged me about it in any way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've played with the thought of revisiting my first and second LP as well occasionally as well. Doubt it'll ever really do it though. Mostly because I have no real idea how to do a decent LP of System Shock 2 and all I'd do with the Halo would be to rerecord it in better quality and do it with voice commentary instead of subtitles and that just comes off as kinda low effort since not much would be different in that case.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

You know, I had been considering doing informative runs of the Halo games using coop over Live. It was something I was going to try with my buddy who helped on my last LP but he probably couldn't devote the time and attention to it. If you were interested we could talk about making that a thing, although I probably won't have a huge amount of time to work on it for the next few months.

While that sounds like an interesting idea the problem is that co-op doesn't exist for the PC version of Halo and I don't own a 360 either. That and I sorta dislike playing FPS on consoles due to the controls for that part.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A congratulations is in order here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

Speaking of thread participation -- thanks for the advice on my IZJS videos, everyone. Thread is up and submissions are open for the first two Jobs.

I'm gonna ask here as I didn't feel like fouling up the actual thread but is there any reason as to why the embedded function is turned off for the videos? I'm kinda curious and because SALR gives me a bigger video window than what YT does without having to do full screen I kinda prefer watching YT videos via that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

Oh, I didn't know SALR did that. I've reenabled it.

Much appreciated. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

KKoserYaks posted:

More test posting time.

Audio on the single-player run is left centred, which is probably something you should fix.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

I see. I did ask about it twice in the Tech Support thread, but nobody really got back to me on that, so, I figured they might've overlooked it or something. Anyways though, is Hypercam the best you can do without spending money?

MSI Afterburner's recording feature. It's free and from testing I've done looks to be really really good. It's mentioned in the Tech Support Fort OP if you want a link.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Niggurath posted:

^^^^^^^^
edit: The one negative I've seen from MSI Afterburner is that the recording function is only part of the beta version and that's not always available, or sometimes the functionality will have some set date that it will decide that a trial is up. Otherwise, it does fit the bill for an adequate free recording program.

Huh, wasn't aware of that. I tend to go with the updates the program says are available when I start and so far the recording function has worked without a hitch. v:v:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

baldurk posted:

In my ideal world everyone would at the very least keep a local backup to send me later - portable hard drives are really cheap, even for a 720p LP.

I've got all of my stuff on a 1TB external for backup purposes. Although I wonder about EU to US shipping costs if I was ever to do that.

Have actually been uploading the first Halo LP to YT for whenever Blip or Viddler notices my account and removes it but I've been putting that on hold because the uploading speed makes my irc connection a bit unstable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Or I think Microsoft was starting to only allow material from Halo if you signed an agreement with them.

Which almost makes me slightly worried that'll get that if I ever get around uploading my old Halo 1 and 2 LPs onto youtube if blip ever decides to go around and delete them (which haven't happened yet) but so far the only remark I've gotten is one of the standard copyrighted music ones for the final music video I did for that and nothing else.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

And then sometimes they just put out poo poo where they scream for half an hour while playing a game that nobody there knows how to play, or they play games that are really boring to watch.

With the only difference from normal youtube LP content is that these guys is just a slightly bit more famous. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Aegisub is super convenient. Seriously, it's a drat fine program. I've never had even a spot of trouble with it. I highly, highly recommend it!

I think this was my program of choice as well for my later subtitled LPs and it's really nice once you've gotten hang of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

baldurk posted:

Thanks slowbeef for all the wonderful emails I get on your behalf.

quote:

Sincerely,

http://www.youtube.com/TheAwesomeIncarnate

{attached like 6 screenshots of youtube pages}

:raise:
I know this has been said before but some people take this poo poo waaaay too seriously.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Get ready for another round of Blip purges, I just got a notification they are terminating my account in early November. All my internet popularity points; gone like tears in the rain.

Meanwhile I got my first ad revenue payout from them this week. :v: I still have a hard time to believe it actually.

Edit: Oh nvm, I just noticed mine is slated for purging as well. Guess I really should get around to upload at least my Halo and Splinter Cell videos to youtube.
My HAWX stuff is kinda hosed though so I guess they'll remain on Viddler until they purge me there as well.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 8, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

shinmai posted:

Not on YouTube directly, but there's an extension for Chrome called YouTube Options that has an option to always play at the highest quality. I'm sure similar extensions are available for other major browsers.

Yeah I've got a grease monkey script that does it for me, and another one that makes the videos browser fullscreen. Both are really drat handy.

kalonZombie posted:

Seriously. They charge something like $80 a year in order for you to upload in HD and to set your videos to private. Things you can do for free on pretty much ANY OTHER SERVICE out there.

Can't really say I'm all that sad my account is getting purged either. Slightly miffed that one of my LPs won't be available in decent quality but still not that sad about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm just gonna assume my (tiny) dot is somewhere in the cluster the near Geop because he's pretty much the only LPer I follow.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I lurk the hell out of every LP I watch, barely ever posting more than a "I'm enjoying this, keep up the good work" a few videos into the thread and then just catching up on the thread from there on. Sometimes there isn't much you can say about the game if you haven't played it, and a lot of the time questions you would have about functions and items in the game are answered in the video they appear. I think people lurking threads don't often see a chance to join the conversation about the game or the videos, and that can lead to low post numbers in a thread.

Yeah this is me as well, even if I tend to avoid the "Keep up the good work" thing because to me it feels like a bit of empty posting and only really post if I want to comment on something in the thread or the videos.
Of course when I ran my own LP I was almost overly reply happy that I almost got worried about it sometimes and would try to cut it down.
Having too much free time on your hands and wanting to seems active and trying to please most people is perhaps not the best combination at times.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

gatz posted:

Links?

No idea what Psion uses but I've got the following scripts running for youtube on my end.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/181991 - Makes the video browser fullscreen with the info and comments stuck on a sidebar that can be hidden.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/165813 - Makes the video HD automatically if available.

Those are the two big ones, otherwise I've got one for hiding the recommended channels and one for redirecting my homepage to the subscription page automatically.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

I used to use another one that hides comments but if I force a 720p size player, those get shoved far enough down it's no longer a problem. Comment Snob or something.

I just use comment blocker for that. Really goddamn useful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I found that messaging the channel or company with the claim usually works. Unless it is Warner. God help you if you want Warner Music to let up on you.

I don't even wanna know how many of those claims I would get if I started uploading all of the HAWX videos. :suicide:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

Namco would be all over your poo poo, that's for sure.

Frankly I'd be more worried over all the record companies than Namco.

I should just redo the LPs for them for YT but at the same I can't be arsed because the baseline is that those games are dull as all hell most of the time.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 21, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I haven't been around that long (as might be self-evident) but from what I've seen, this behavior seems to be in line with any sort of LPs of larger RPGs as well. The same thing (albeit a bit less intense) seems to happen in Lizard Wizard's Oblivion LP. Combine that with Id doing the LP, and it was pretty much inevitable this kind of stuff would happen.

Or any major game title LP. I mean aside from the puns going out of control a couple of times the Last of Us LP has been locked for more or less the same reasons as the Fallout one at least once.
Feels like I missed out when I did Halo. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Glazius hasn't posted in my LP, I feel slighted, almost heartbroken.

The new LP Mark of Honour. How to really know you've made in the LP world.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

This really rings true, I find sometimes a single "Hey you're LP is really cool thanks for making it" is enough to really cheer me up some days.

Excuse me for a second.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. :tizzy:

Sorry, had to get it out of my system.

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

It might just be me, but I find it really hard to keep a thread active and interesting.

Depends really, I recall my bout of LPing lived on the fact it was the Halo games and there wasn't that much response for the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory thread as I recall, then again it's hard to make an LP showing a stealth game off really interesting. The HAWX ones lived and thrived on the fact that they games were really drat dumb in their plot writing so it was partly mocking that and some airplane chat as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I'm enjoying the LP, but you can't deny that those things have a tendency to, you know, die.

Yeah I have to agree with this. It just need to pass the Hotel and then it might just happen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So as you might be aware, YT is apparently striking down hard on monetizing gaming channels.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/11/99-of-youtube-gaming-channels-will-die-soon-copyright-strike-barrage-discussed/

So how much schadenfreude/epicaricacy am I allowed to feel from this?
Even if people like PPD are exempt because he has a partnership going.

And a part of me wonders how much this will affect us as well. I haven't gotten any notions recently, mostly because I still haven't uploaded any of my stuff from blip yet (out of sheer laziness mostly) but this makes me wonder if I should even bother.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

What are you asking? Whether it's worth uploading any LP videos to YouTube at all because you won't be able to monetise them? Why does that even matter?

Nah just general worry that it'll be showered in copyright notices anyway since I have no plans what so ever to monetize them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Question still stands: why does that even matter?

I stand corrected then since I was just overly anxious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Forer posted:

Funny thing, Those timecode links never work for me so there's other people out there where that doesn't work. Just get rid of the intro.

Yeah same here, mostly because I've got a script that appends the hd tag on the video which overrides the timecode.
So I would imagine some people would have something similar as well.

Then again I shouldn't really comment on intros since I was guilty of adding them to the last couple of LPs I did. :shobon:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slowbeef posted:

But yes, Blip is now Maker - I wonder if that means their policy on LP changed?

I wonder when the buyout happened because my account got removed in October/November so they might not have changed it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Yep, that fixes it. When YouTube updated about a month ago that's when it broke for me.

I had a script that gave me browser fullscreen breaking like last week when they randomly decided to update their UI design and add that giant empty bar at the top.
Thanks for pointing me towards Youtube Center by the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well the thread title should obviously be "WARNING, MILITARY SOFTWARE DETECTED, TOP SECRET CLEARANCE REQUIRED". :c00l:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So for those who care (not many I assume) it seems like Viddler is finally shutting down its free account service in March.

Guess I have to get around getting hosting of my own for my Hawx stuff and reupload the Halo videos to Youtube then before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You forgot to post the actual content of the LP, as in the first update, and not just the OP. :v:

• Locked thread