Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'd like to suggest a rule for the new Rules thread, if we're reworking things. Maybe it's a bit harsh to make it a Rule - it might work better as a clause in the "What is a Test Post" section of the OP, but it's something we see way too much of, in my opinion, and it does nobody any good - "It will be fixed for the actual thread." What this says to me is that you're too lazy to redo something if it isn't working properly, when you're making a post that's supposed to show people the level of effort to expect from you. You're asking people to judge your work based on a sample of what you're not going to post. At best, people are still going to comment, and you'll have to fix the problem anyway before you can get to the comments about what you DIDN'T realize you needed to improve. At worst, people will simply dismiss your post because you don't appear to care enough. Things happen during threads - technical problems are more the expectation than the exception - and if the thread is running, you'll either have to fix the problem or abandon the LP. If you can't fix technical problems before starting your thread, why should anyone believe that you'll fix them if they come up later?

In short, if you know it's a problem and it's not what you intend to put in the thread, don't put it in the test post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Picture-in-picture is a gimmick, plain and simple. It doesn't really work as a matter of habit. The viewer can't possibly concentrate on both pictures at once, so you're either forcing them to choose one to watch and miss content, or to watch the video twice, in which case why not just show those two views separately? There are times and places for PiP - I used it once in a Rayman video when I needed to retrace my steps through a long and boring portion of level, to highlight a particularly interesting set of failures that would have broken the flow of the video otherwise. (Perhaps it helps that the game itself includes a picture-in-picture code.) However, I would say that it should be used sparingly, and only in those cases where only one of the videos is worth watching, but the other one can't be removed, sped up, or dealt with in any other practical way.

Seedy Wizard posted:

Now what I find really funny is when someone posts their test video along with a shopping list of technical problems they already know are in it. What the hell kind of thinking is going on behind that?

"Look at me! I'm an LPer too! I can even find problems in my own videos! Praise me because everything else I did is oh so perfect and great, right? Guys? I JUST WANT TO BE ADORED!"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hey guys, if you like my posts then I'm serious but if you don't then I was just kidding around on purpose, like I was trying to be IRONIC, don't you see the irony of being bad on purpose, don't you don't you PLEASE LOVE ME I'M NOT AS STUPID AS I SOUND YOU GUYS yes you are.

YES YOU ARE.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Brassherald posted:

I'm not entirely sure what to do in the situation as my first LP went without a hitch straight through.

It's entirely up to you whether you want to put forth the effort. Remember, you don't owe anyone anything just because you decided to provide some free entertainment. If you want to post something so much that you feel like making a video in the meantime, then do that. If you don't have that urge, then don't do anything. Sure, maybe someone will complain since you posted in the Sandcastle that you COULD be doing something, but gently caress 'em. It's your time and your motivation.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

SupSuper posted:

The deadline is August 3, 2012. I asked them if they would let people download their videos so they could move them elsewhere:

Wow, shut down my account and hold my videos for ransom? :v: No thanks, good thing I have plenty of mirrors.

Wait, $10 a month? They've quoted me $25 a month as a special half-off offer! I'd sign up for a month at $10 if I could download my original videos.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Capilarean posted:

I've been on a bit of a nostalgia binge lately and I decided I'd try doing an LP of Legend of Kyrandia.

I still need to work out a proper OP, but I've got the first update ready and I'd like to know what you guys think.

Oh boy...

You're not funny. That's the biggest flaw with your style. Almost everything you say that isn't directly quoted from the game is painful to read. Given that, I barely managed to read the whole post and don't think I'd attempt to read another. I think you should opt for a straight, informative delivery and make jokes only sparingly, if they actually work. Consider running your updates past someone whose sense of humor you can trust before posting them where other people can read them, if you insist on trying to be funny.

Also, I'm pretty sure Brandywine is a completely different character you'll be meeting a few updates later (namely, Darm's partner), not another name for Brynn.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Retrocalypse posted:

If you don't like the outcome, that's fine and I have no reason to be offended but I would rather appeal to those who like the similar style of Let's Play as me as the after discussion would be more interesting for us both.

You find a lot of people who like that sort of thing in Youtube comments. Not so many on Something Awful. If you're good at what you do, this sort of thing can work, but if you want to become good at it, you're much better off doing an LP of a game you know and love to start with.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Retrocalypse posted:

If I had played the game before I wouldn't enjoy replaying it as much as the first time. I'd have more to talk about, yes, but focusing on chat purely from the game itself during the long action scenes would be boring for me.

If this is a problem, then you're in the wrong hobby. At least, "posting your LPs on Something Awful" is probably not the proper way to indulge in that hobby. One of the things you learn after you do enough LPs is that doing an LP is very different from just playing the game. You're playing the game for the purpose of showing the videos to people who may never have played the game before, not for your own entertainment. There are things in some games that are agonizing to do - most non-OCD players skip them in normal playthroughs because they're not worth the reward. An LPer will most likely do those things anyway because the audience wants to see them. While you may be able to blaze through a game quickly when you know its ins and outs, an LPer will often take the time to explore the mechanics, talk to the useless characters, skip the important items because they haven't yet seen the clue that makes it important, set off the traps just to show what happens, enter a fight unprepared because that gives a much better impression of WHY this fight is so difficult, spend a few minutes doing nothing so they have time to talk about something without the game being a distraction... and you'll sometimes play and record hours of footage that you'll end up cutting entirely, just to be sure to capture the moment when you get that rare item or defeat the impossible enemy. In short, the more you love a game, the more likely you are to hate it after LPing it, and vice versa. I got some enjoyment out of one of my least favorite games by doing an LP of it, and that was an unprepared, might-as-well-be-blind, from fifteen-year-old mostly-forgotten memory LP. It wasn't a particularly interesting experience for the viewers, so I employed as much humor as I could, including strategic cutaways to other, more interesting games and music as punchlines on occasion. I bought a terrible PS3 game used (incidentally paying more than a new copy would have cost... didn't expect there to be any of those left) just for a joke. I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else do this - just saying that your enjoyment of the game is largely irrelevant. If you don't enjoy the process of making the LP, obviously, don't make the LP, but if you don't enjoy playing a game more than once, don't make the LP.

There are times when blind runs can be interesting, and those are usually specific games that are designed around a new player's experiences played by people who really know what they're doing. Take a look at Geop's ongoing Dark Souls LP, or Diabetus's Metroid Fusion LP in the archive. You'll probably notice things like knowledgeable co-commentators providing prods in the right direction and helpful tips about gameplay, liberal editing, and perhaps most importantly, a good sense of what's entertaining and a general ability to play games of their respective genres. You'll also find a very small proportion of good blind LPs compared to the vast number of people who take the time to know their stuff before trying to show a game to other people. You owe the game that much.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I've yet to find a way to actually re-route synthesized audio to Stereo Mix or whatever via software.

Wouldn't Virtual Audio Cable do the same thing? I used to use the loop cable approach for my recording-from-computer needs until I bought that. Now I just set output to Line 1, forward Line 1 to my actual audio device, and record from Line 1 in Audacity. I haven't tried that with MIDI, admittedly, but I've also got an old Windows XP system sitting around with proper MIDI drivers and Modplug, which converted MIDI to MP3 just fine for me when I was doing videos for King's Quest VII. The only problem was that if I didn't start recording MIDI before it started playing, it would miss the change instrument directives at the start of the tracks, and half the instruments would come out sounding like piano (instrument 0). It made for an interesting but not really pleasing effect.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nohman posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask, but I am curious what LPs those that have done multiple have enjoyed completing the most. And the least for that matter. I'd be interested to hear from the perspective of the people that do the things.

Oddly enough, I think King's Quest: Mask of Eternity was my favorite LP to do of the ones that have been archived, but I think I took it as a challenge to make it so. The game itself was so bad that I had to add some cutaways and jokes to make the videos entertaining, and I think the bonus videos speak for themselves. It was the LP that taught me how to use Avisynth, how to use moving sprites as overlays, and how to get a tiny bit more mileage out of other terrible games I had lying around. While most of the other games I've LPed were considerably more fun than Mask of Eternity, it sometimes became a chore to try to cover all of the material, and they rarely present the opportunity (or the necessity) to do anything dynamic. I just record the gameplay, edit a bit, add the commentary, and post. Granted, I discover new things about every game I LP that I thought I knew inside and out, but then, I probably discovered much more about Mask, so that criterion doesn't really distinguish them.

I also really enjoyed doing the Dream Zone LP, since it was interactive, but I don't really count that one because it was so different.

I'm not sure I have a least favorite LP, honestly. I've had fun doing them all, and if I didn't, I doubt I'd continue with the hobby. It seems unfair to name the ones that had technical issues, and even those didn't really dampen my spirits. Perhaps I should go with Gobliiins, my first LP, because I didn't really know what I was doing and made some big mistakes, which left me feeling a bit unhappy with the whole experience when they were pointed out. I did a couple of standalone videos that were less fun than full threads would have been, but even Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeon was fun to play through and make fun of. And I beat Bart's Nightmare and have video to prove it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Surprisingly, Viddler took notice of the amount of bandwidth I was using and shut me down - the amount of money they wanted for their service was staggering, especially considering the inferior quality, the impossibility of retrieving the original source videos (although it's possible that I could have grabbed them if I'd paid - the lost videos were of poor quality to begin with, so I didn't think it was worth the cost), and the annoyance factor of their ads (probably not telling advertisers that Viddler wasn't actually a service intended for large distribution of videos - at least, according to the few non-form E-mails they sent me). I pay less for a year of Blip Pro service than they wanted for two months. I suppose this is a good thing, because it means I actually got views, but I used them as a sole host for a while. I could potentially reupload the Toonstruck videos and a few older ones I still have copies of to Blip, but between baldurdash and the Internet Archive, I think there are enough copies online now. I don't want to spend another weekend doing nothing but uploading videos and setting up metadata. Besides, I don't want to draw more of Blip's attention than I have to, although the last time I checked their FAQ, while they prohibit game recordings, they have stated that videos that add content such as commentary can be considered okay.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'd like to revisit my first and second LP someday soon, since even when I still had the source videos, the quality was pretty bad and I didn't think they were worth archiving. I figure the people who watched them way back then will have forgotten enough to possibly find the new take entertaining, and they're not very long games. I know I can do a much better job than I did, and the games deserve it. Also, since they're the first two Gobliiins games, I can proceed to do the third one and make it a full series LP. I'm not sure whether that counts, though, since it hasn't happened yet and could potentially never happen.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You know, I mainly subscribe to channels that DON'T provide content on a schedule, because that saves me the effort of having to check constantly to see if there's a new video. These "video every day" or "two videos a week" channels are easier to check when they make a video.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

You can also do minimal voice commentary. Nidoking and Bobbin Threadbare both successfully did adventure games as voice commentary, so maybe they could provide some tips.

This, I can do.

1) Yes, you need to learn to leave long enough pauses in the action to say something. This comes with practice. The important thing is to rehearse what you want to say while recording the game, then leave an extra couple of seconds depending on how long the pause was. It's much smoother to say your peace and have the action pause a bit longer if you overestimated your speech than to find yourself awkwardly speeding up or having to drop talking points because you didn't leave yourself enough time - and unless you work with a script, which I don't, you'll always be a second or so late to your cues or saying something completely different from what you planned while playing.

2) Be prepared to do multiple takes of your commentary. This is one of the biggest advantages to post-commentary, surprisingly. Especially with a voiced game, you probably won't be talking very frequently, so it's possible to go back in post and re-record just portions of your commentary rather than having to scrap the whole track and start again, or shift portions of your commentary in time to match the gaps in the video if you're just a bit off, but I find myself discarding my first take more often than not. This is largely due to a failure to follow rule 3 closely enough...

3) Be sure to rewatch your video immediately before doing the commentary. Most of my mistakes are forgetting exactly what I did when and saying something so wrong that I can't salvage it. Sometimes I just keep talking over the game, say the right line, and fix it in post, but it's usually much easier to stop recording and try again when I have time. My increased devotion to this practice is why my videos have become so spaced out in time, when I used to be able to do several in a week.

4) Try to set goals for each video, both in duration and in what you hope to accomplish in the game. I think this is true of every game, but adventure games give you a bit more flexibility because you're controlling the story. Don't start a long conversation if the video's already running long, or put off a simple, anticlimactic task for the next video if it's shorter than your average.

5) More so than most games, and as has already been said upthread, let the game speak for itself. I tend to offer comments about the logic behind the puzzles, when it's not immediately obvious, and maybe some snarky responses to dialogue or character actions that don't make much sense. Some trivia about the game and its creators can be handy if you need to fill long spaces during a transition that can't reasonably be cut. That's probably just general advice for LP commentary, but it's really easy to get into a pattern of just describing what's happening in an adventure game. Summarizing the story at appropriate points, especially if the pieces are spaced out in your presentation, is a good tactic.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bacter posted:

Hullo all. So obviously you don't need to watch these all in sandcastle - this is just my proposed format for my OP. The bro-op and pro run sections are what you'll want to turn your attention to for quality control questions.

I like the format... going to wait for the actual thread to watch the videos, but it reminds me of what you did in the first thread, minus the three continuities. Speaking of which, I highly recommend that you link to the LP Archive entry for the first game in your OP. Not everyone who reads your new thread (or finds the entry in the LP Archive someday) will have seen the earlier LP, and it needs to be seen. I think this is a pretty common practice for LPs of sequels.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Cirosan posted:

Now here comes the stupid question: How exactly would I go about recording post commentary and syncing it with the video? I freely admit that I have next to no experience with LPs, and while I've familiarized myself with a good bit of the info in the tech support fort (MeGUI, Avisynth, etc.), I wouldn't know where to begin. Many of the guides cover audio dubbing with Avisynth, but don't mention inserting different clips at different places. My knee-jerk instinct would be to use Audacity and record one long length of commentary as I watch the raw footage, but there's probably a better way.

If there's a better way, I've yet to find it. Sometimes I do record extra clips and merge them into the Audacity project, but you're really better off just editing the game video so it's what you want to present, watching it while recording commentary, then mixing the two audio streams either in Audacity or Avisynth.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At that point, you might as well just post a link to Geop's LP of Shadow of the Colossus, tell everybody to watch that, and spend your time doing something other than LP.

If you choose not to take this route, an explanation of what you plan to offer that Geop didn't would go a long way toward engendering something other than people telling you not to waste your time. Hint: Your voice is not an acceptable answer, given the sample provided.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

NoSuperman posted:

You're probably right, but I don't want to discard 3 hours of material. I will if I have to, I just don't want to.

Oh, you don't HAVE to do anything. You don't have to record videos, you don't have to add commentary, you don't have to post here... but if you choose to do those things, then you're going to be judged on quality. If your quality isn't up to snuff, you're going to be invited to stop doing those things until you fix it.

You could never post again and I doubt anyone would particularly miss your contributions. You could put forth the effort to post the best material you possibly can, and perhaps garner some praise for what you've accomplished. There's a lot of middle ground between those two options, but I don't think you'd enjoy the result very much.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

"This is a great LP, but you should have a guest for the next video. If there isn't a guest when I click the link for this video you did three years ago, I'm going to assume it's because you hate me and I'll never watch another one of your videos again."

Yeah, we need more of that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Odd... I checked the TOS again recently just to see what they had to say about LPs specifically, and they said LPs are allowed with their discretion. From an FAQ:

"What about commentary or “Let’s Play” videos?
Generally speaking these types of videos are not a great fit for Blip, however if you are adding great original content (via commentary) to these videos than you are welcome to upload them. In many cases though “Let’s Play” videos may not be eligible for premium advertising, distribution, or enhanced show pages."

So apparently they do quality checks or something. I'd just be careful not to upload any videos that don't include commentary, like entire videos of just cutscenes. It may also help that I've got a paid account and don't use any of the features they've listed.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm looking for some advice.

This is the time in an LP when I start looking for guests - anyone to banter with about the game, related topics, unrelated topics, and hopefully some blend of humor and entertainment that makes the video more interesting despite the repetition, while also making it clear that the video is optional in the grand scheme of things and the viewers won't be missing any of the plot if they decide to skip it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ambisagrus posted:

This is more a thing for the Tech Support Fort, but you should be able to just merge all the tracks in an audio editing program like Audacity, then use Yamb to combine it. You'd probably need to convert them to mp3s beforehand, I assume they're AAC if you're using mp4.

The current version of Audacity works with AAC. You just need to download the FFMPEG library, which the program tells you how to do when you try to open the file. At least, it did when I tested it just now, and I followed the instructions and opened one of my old AAC files without a problem.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I noticed that some video LPs throw in snippets of popular music from time to time. How does one handle youtube copyright claims in such cases?

My method was to make two versions of the video - one with the song in it for other distribution channels, and one without the song in it for Youtube. Considering that I usually get that music FROM Youtube, this seems like a silly precaution, but I've gotten content notices for the opening and ending cutscenes of Warrior Within, so I try to be careful. I even replaced the song credit at the end of the video with "Redacted for Youtube" or something similar.

Since Viddler shut me down, I've been backing off from using music for humor overall. If you're worried, that's probably the best way to go.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Well, is that unreasonable? Video editing and the like is hard work, so if there's nobody who enjoys it, then why go through the hassle? I'm not asking to be a superstar or anything, but, I do wish to entertain.

I'd like to address this point from a few pages ago (I'm sure it's that far back by now) to say that you're mostly wrong. Not completely wrong, but mostly wrong. I would say that if you don't enjoy what you're doing enough to make videos even if there's no audience, then making videos is not the hobby for you. If you enjoy the work of making videos, just the sheer fact that you're playing a game and recording commentary and splicing clips and encoding, then how much work it is or how difficult it is shouldn't be a factor - in fact, sometimes the most difficult videos are the most rewarding. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy those steps, I can't see how any amount of people enjoying the outcome could be worth the effort. You don't get viewers because you made a video - you make the video, and if people like it, they'll watch it and show it to their friends. I say you're mostly wrong because I admit, I'd probably not have as much fun with the entire LP process if I made a thread and nobody watched the videos. But I still enjoy making the videos. I enjoy playing the game in ways I'd never do without an audience, just to explore or show off things I usually skip, or find ways to solve puzzles that I looked up online the first time, or vary fighting techniques because the ones I usually use aren't fun to watch. I enjoy writing a script and viewing the video multiple times to make sure I've trimmed out all the save screens and sped up the repetitive parts, and occasionally finding new ways to use the tools I've got to make the video more interesting. I enjoy watching my finished video and talking about it. I sort of enjoy listening to my audio and cleaning it up - it's more tedious than most steps, but the end result is worth the effort in my opinion. I enjoy writing a few different descriptions for each video and then making a forum post to tell people what's in it, trying to find a few new jokes I haven't run into the ground yet. And then I get to enjoy some feedback for a day or two, and sometimes learn something about the game and about my process. This is something I've wanted to do for years, since game walkthroughs were expensive illustrated guides or long text dumps on GameFAQs. True, the process isn't as effortless as I could have hoped for, but I like doing it. If you don't like it, do yourself a huge favor and find something else to do. Maybe just play the same games for fun.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Transitions should be fine. I've played around with Star Force videos before when I was bored and I found that either having the bottom screen slide up to cover the top screen or having the top screen slide up to reveal the bottom screen when you're selecting cards and then reversing whichever transition you choose looks nicest. I'm not sure if AVISynth can do this though. I think the Animate command might actually work, but I'm not sure.

Avisynth can definitely produce that effect - if the TransAll library doesn't have what you need, then you can write a custom function that takes the two clips and an integer n, and crops, say, the bottom n pixels from the bottom clip and the bottom (height - n) pixels of the top clip, then StackVertical them together. Animate over n from height to zero. I could probably write the custom function for you if you want, but I'd need a bit of time to test it before posting it here (or perhaps more appropriately in the TSF).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

You have to believe wholeheartedly in what you are doing with LPs. I started Leisure Suit Larry with no inclination of how much work an SSLP takes. What went from easy became vastly more complex as I went through the series. What started as capping some screenshots and making a few gifs turned to recording and editing audio, transcribing scripts, making nonstop gifs, etc. And all it took for me to burn out was the inkling creeping into my head of "I don't get enough viewers and commentors to keep doing this poo poo. Look at idonotlikepeas thread...why the gently caress does he get so much attention...gently caress it..."

I fought guilty feelings for a while and kept the LP on life support but my spirit for doing it was broken, just because I let the desire of constant attention to my thread get in my way. So please, if you start it, don't give a crap who reads it. Treat it like you are a writing a novel. Nobody may read the thing but as time passes, you can still see that your contribution is there on the shelves for that one curious person who may just be looking for that LP that you took the time to do. That should mean more than post counts.

Edit: I loved idonotlikepeas thread too, just to be clear.

I was enjoying that thread, since I never got to play the Leisure Suit Larry games before they became nearly impossible to find. This is what I was talking about, though - if you depend on reader response for your enjoyment, then inevitably, you're going to stop enjoying what you do. You end up driven by either obsession with completing what you started or guilt over leaving your few readers hanging, and neither equates to fun. I've done LPs that got tons of responses proportional to how many videos I made, and I've done some that ended with a dozen videos in a few pages. The short ones are easier to read through at the end to make sure I didn't miss any requests or questions that I intended to address in bonus videos, but the important thing to me is that I had fun making the videos and posting in the thread regardless of how many or how few responses I got. The few times when the process got to be too much trouble, I stopped without doing all of the bonuses I'd planned. Maybe there aren't very many people who can honestly say that they enjoy the work that goes into making LP videos, or screenshot updates. There also aren't very many people who are great at it. I hope that's because there's a lot of overlap between the two groups.

Consider: How many of the people who migrate from Youtube to SA to get more views for their LPs are well-received? We all tell them that getting views isn't the point. Why should that be any different to people who read all the rules before they start and don't make it obvious how much they just want people to watch their videos?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Krakentime posted:

Part 1 - I am aware of the issue with the terrible black border problem on this video and am currently uploading a fixed version.

Wow. So you don't even have the patience to wait for a video upload to finish before making your test post. Is this what the entire LP will consist of? "I am aware of the issue of having forgotten to add commentary to this video and am currently slacking off. If I can be bothered to upload a new version in three months, maybe I'll edit this post with the updated link, but probably not."

I don't even need to watch your video to tell you this is bad.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Ack...well, alright then, fine. But, could you PLEASE censor them anyways, just for the sake of people like me, who have moral objections to pornography and sexually explicit material of any sort? I would really appreciate it if you could do that.

I have moral objections to censorship and people who can't figure out not to click links that they've been told have material that will offend them.

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm, well, I don't object to the violence, as I think that's something that you'll potentially be forced to deal with in later life. I mean, c,mon, how often have you seen a dead animal on the side of the road, with half it's body having had all the skin stripped away, or something weird like that?

Sexually explicit material on the other hand, torments you at best (by lodging you with images that you occasionally have trouble getting out of your head), and at worst, warps people's understanding of what a healthy sexual relationship is (where it's not JUST lust, but actually passion, love, and commitment thrown into the mix).

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not criticizing you as a person, or anyone else who doesn't share my beliefs. I think the acceptance of material like this is more a sign of the lack of knowledge of the true effects of material like this rather than anything else. Kind of like how cigarettes were insanely popular in the past, because not as many people realized how deadly they were. And yes, sexually explicit material truly CAN be deadly, as stated in a Chapter of my Social Psychology textbook that I once copied and pasted into the 4th post of this thread here...

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...age3&highlight=

And if I must, I'm perfectly willing to throw in the sources that my textbook cites as well.

So your argument is that violence is okay because that's a thing that happens to you in real life, while sex isn't? I'm with you so far, but then you throw in the cigarette strawman. That's a great point because we banned the sale of cigarettes the moment we realized how harmful they are, instead of putting a written warning on the package and trusting people to be able to decide for themselves whether to heed the warnings or have a puff of that sweet cancer.

There's a lot of Internet out there. You might have more luck removing sex from some other parts of it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

But I don't think a whole heck of a lot of people are going to be misled into thinking that violence is wonderful and awesome, the same way a lot of people are going to be misled into believing false attitudes about sex.

Decisive. Someone get this post into the hands of the post-Sandy Hill activists who want to ban all video games because they think they lead to violence. Nobody could POSSIBLY overestimate the effects of media on normal-minded people.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I got a question for you LP vets. How do you guys get your guests? And alternatively, how did you guests get on LPs? Because I have been watching LPs practically since it started and I've always wanted to participate but I lack the equipment.

Having the equipment is a rather vital first step to being a guest. (I assume what you mean is that you have audio recording equipment, but your computer can't handle the video.) Your best bet is probably to do an LP of your own first and make a name for yourself (not in the sense of being famous, but giving some people a reason to recognize your name when you post in other threads). Then read a bunch of LPs that you're interested in, and if someone asks for guests in an LP where you have something to contribute commentary-wise, follow their instructions for contacting them. Personally, I'm not a big fan of people asking whether I'm looking for guests for a given LP, so I don't recommend trying to solicit your way into an LP where you weren't invited. A more practical approach is to post intelligently in the thread, demonstrate the kind of information you'd bring to guest commentary on the game (but without the connotation that hey, you'd be a great guest commentator and you want to participate), and if the LPer likes your contributions, he or she will be more likely to think of you when looking for guests. Or just make friends in the LP community (possibly including outside of SA), get involved in some group Skype chats or discussions, and be an option when someone thinks they'd like to do an LP if they can find a guest commentator.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'd say no to that, and I'm one of the people who's never played or seen any of the Ace Attorney games until HelloWinter's LP. All you need to do is put a mention in the OP that this game contains spoilers for [Other Game(s)] and then people like me who want to remain unspoiled will know enough to avoid the thread.

Well, I think the point is that they're alienating a portion of the intended audience by doing this LP now rather than waiting until the people who are only experiencing the game through the LPs have caught up to the present. That may not matter - particularly after the big discussion of how view counts aren't everything - but lotus circle should be aware that there are plenty of readers who will be avoiding the thread for the next few years and perhaps catching up with the long-archived version when they get there, if someone else isn't doing a new LP that would be more conducive to ongoing discussion. This is the tradeoff any time you do an LP of a sequel while the LP of the original is still going on, but more so in a series where it's stated ahead of time that spoilers are a big deal and the plot is the main part of the experience. I doubt anyone would care if I started an LP of the third Ratchet & Clank game while MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti are probably off in the wings pulling together an OP for the second.

Still, you LP what you want to LP, and if some people like it and read it and you're happy with that, that's what matters.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

MrTomSea posted:

Now its just when me and my friend hang out and play games we record it for the fun of comments.

This is a good thing you have said, and I'm glad you said it. With that said: Sometimes, my brother and I and some friends get together to watch bad movies and make funny comments during them. This is also a thing that some people record and post online, or even sell and make money from. We, however, do not record our sessions, nor do we distribute them for public consumption. We do it because we enjoy it, and we don't post them online because we don't enjoy it THAT much. This is a viable avenue for you and your friend, and one that I think you should consider.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

On this topic, what's the rules / general ethics about a game that is getting re-released on GOG or something? I am planning a Journeyman Project series LP (for a while now, technical gremlins and laziness), but for some reason I feel rotten about LPing these games. My last two were old and entirely forgotten games, so that sort of thing didn't register to me. These ones are generally available, and as a basic first person adventure game, there is very little gameplay that would be left out from a VLP. I really want to have people see these games in some capacity; I think they deserve to be experienced, either in an LP or by people playing it for themselves. However, I kinda feel like I could legitimately cost these guys sales if I do this.

Is that irrational?

I'm pretty sure the user base of GOG is mostly composed of people who buy games because they enjoyed the LPs.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes. In pretty much every LP thread, the amount of people who say something along the lines of "Hey this game seems cool so I bought myself a copy!" is much bigger than those who say "Hey thanks for LPing this, I don't have to buy the game now!".

Actually, that's for good games. Take a look at, say, the Avalon Code thread and count again.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

VivaVizer posted:

Also, as a side question, is email the best way to contact the LP Archive? Finished Mirror's Edge and I think it went pretty well. But I have no idea how much email that address gets and I've missed plenty of emails at work before.

E-mail's the way to go. baldurk sometimes takes a while to get back to you if he's backlogged (usually because he's working on a new awesome feature for one of his sites), but he's never missed an E-mail from me before.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I know it's been blowing in the wind for a while that Blip is getting tougher on LP accounts, but they've just deactivated the Pro status of all paid accounts and announced that they're going to start conferring those upgrades for free on the shows they like while gently encouraging the masses to move to Youtube by unceremoniously deleting their accounts. At least, unlike Viddler, they're not demanding way too much money from everyone they do allow on their precious network. Perhaps they have learned a little something from failures past. Anyway, if you've been putting off grabbing copies of videos you uploaded and didn't keep for whatever reason, now's probably the time to do it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DapperDuck posted:

Ugh, I know. Oh boy, do I know. I spent a good 5 hours mucking around in Audacity and later in Adobe Premiere messing with the audio levels. My problem is that we didn't really think ahead; our microphone picked up a bit of game audio. If I take our commentary levels any higher and you begin to hear a slight echo of the game which was really jarring. If I pump up our commentary audio and remove the direct game audio rip, the game is much too quiet. If I pump it up further so you can hear the game, there is all kinds of white noise I can't remove. We will attempt different mic setups to minimize this in the future, but for the first four episodes (about an hour), is it tolerable? Or do we have to scrap it all?

I once fixed that by lining up the two tracks exactly so the two sets of game audio couldn't be distinguished separately. It's tough to do, but could salvage a video. (And no, it wasn't my own commentary - it was guest commentary where my guest apparently didn't have very good headphones.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

NeHatchick posted:

It's not stuttering, it simply locks up and it seems to be a software, not a hardware issue since it does it on all games. Also, to furthermore prove that it is a software issue I'd like to point at the fact that when I do it on a different operating system it works flawlessly. The problem is that all the editing software can't be launched from it.

So what you're saying is that you can get a flawless recording on another operating system? Why don't you do that and then copy the perfect video file to the system that has your editing software on it? I've honestly done this in the past when the tools I needed for a given LP video didn't all run on the same computer.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fiendly posted:

Earth, Fire, Water And Wotnot. Let's Play Kameo: Elements Of Power!

Dang, I wanted to do this game eventually with a gimmick where I spent the whole LP making fun of Microsoft's legal requirements for using footage of their games. I assume you're not aware of them, given the title of your video. The important part is that while they seem to be okay with Let's Plays of their games, as long as you're not making any money from them, you're not allowed to use the name of the game in the title of your videos because they seem to think people will confuse your video with their game. I was going to title the thread "I'm not legally allowed to tell you what game I'm LPing" and every video title would use the word "cameo" in some way. There's also a legal notice you're supposed to put in the video. I figure Microsoft will send you a notice if they care, but the humor potential of exploiting these rules while still following them to the letter is too great to pass up. Not to mention that following them is probably a good idea.

More feedback possible once I get the chance to watch the video.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 10, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fiendly posted:

Well this is an intriguing development. I wasn't planning to make this so high-concept, but if Microsoft does turn their attention my way, looks like I may have to incorporate a legal tightrope act whether I want to or not. Thanks for the heads up and I hope I'm not stepping on your toes as your idea does sound like something I'd like to see.

Ha, not at all - this was a bottom-of-the-barrel idea, which I've now pretty much entirely explained, and I haven't even beaten the game yet. I've got many better things to do than make an entire LP just to be sarcastic at a giant company with questionably good intentions. At least they've come out and stated that you can use their content, which is very magnanimous in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Blip has always downgraded video quality, unless you uploaded via an FTP with an FLV (or perhaps if you have a paid account with them but the only person I know of on here with one of those is youreviltwin, so he might know better than I). So you aren't imagining it but maybe you just never noticed it before.

They did away with paid accounts (without refunds, as far as I know) and removed many of the features previously associated with them. Decreased quality is a possible side effect of all of that.

• Locked thread