Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FakeKraid posted:

Oh, it definitely won't be that long. I have enough free time for that. It might be a day or two, but I seriously doubt even that; it depends on how busy work is and whether I can motivate myself to do it on my days off. I probably can.

EDIT: Though it may be worth mentioning that I work a graveyard shift, so my update times may seem a bit wonky to any other USA-based users. The majority of my updates will likely occur in the small hours because of that.

A backlog is still useful, if for no other reason than Murphy's Law. IRL poo poo eating up your time, computer issues, problems with the game, burnout... these are all things that could screw up your LP. People (usually) understand you aren't some kind of amusement machine, but it's still going to affect the thread.

Basically, something's probably going to go wrong and a backlog provides some insurance against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Let's Play Sword of the Stars II. No, really. Test posts below.

Test Post 1: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2035

Test Post 2: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2035

Bombs away...

Well first of all those both link to the same page.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OP looks good, and the first update does a good job of explaining mechanics. I'm a little concerned it might be boring as hell, but I haven't played the sequel yet (three guesses why). Do random encounters still exist in this game? Turning them on might be a good idea.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Back on the topic of test posts, I'd like to video the battles in the SOTS2LP as part of the fun is watching the maneuvering. I am in two minds about this: it's quite fun putting the videos together and recording the audio track, but it's also a lot of work on top of an already fairly intensive SSLP and I'm not persuaded that it's worth the effort.

I thought one of the best parts of the original Sword of the Stars was its battles. Managing your fleets and systems was fun, but fighting an enemy fleet was what kept me playing. I think extra videos for battles would be an excellent addition, but if they get lengthy you may consider editing.

Think you could take a video of an actual battle to give us an idea of how you'd do it? I know it may be a while before you get into one, but it would give everyone a better idea of how you'd do it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kloudtana posted:

We played around with a few different ideas and are still open to different ways to show off the game in co-op. That's pretty much the way we're determined to do the LP. The other option we have considered is some editing between the 2 points of view if something especially silly happens to the other player. Another option is to rotate the POV each update. And yes we recorded the audio live.

Why are you set on co-op, though? I'm not sure it's that bad of an idea, but a better explanation than "Well, that's how we roll," is usually appreciated.

The current thing you've got going on doesn't really work (no one is going to watch both, or care which one to pick). The other options you propose have issues: editing between the two at appropriate points sounds like a good idea, but you also increase your workload, and it may cause the video to be disorienting. Switching off on whose recording you use would be easier, but I don't really see the point, then.

Your commentary wasn't bad, but you guys seem awkward. Have you done live commentary before? Also, you spend too long in the menu before you begin the game, explaining characters that we're about to meet. The commentary was actually really bad there; I would have closed the window if I wasn't trying to evaluate the video.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brad! posted:

I would if you would stop talking about me!

There's one of you and dozens of other posters. You have more power than any one of us to end this retarded argument.

Just drop it and lurk a while. Get an idea how LPs work around here, and give this time to blow over. Do that, and maybe you'll find you enjoy the subforum. Don't, and you'll probably be punished for perpetuating this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Danes sold us watered down alcohol for centuries when they had a monopoly on our country. There is no love lost because of that.
(jesus gently caress you people are dense, i even did fanart for that thread)

My god, you mean the RSS feed of your every action on the forums is flawed? We need to get top men on this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mush Man posted:

This is really only true if your LP is popular or if you're LP'ing a game people are very interested in. In my experience, when you delay an LP for any reason, even if you are working on something for the update, you lose the people who were only casually following it. The update, when posted, usually doesn't bring those people back or new people in. Of course, anyone still following the LP will certainly appreciate the extra effort. People mightn't mind, but they definately move on.

Personally, if I like an LP from the start, I don't mind a whole lot how long the updates take. I wish they updated more, of course, but SA makes it really easy to follow threads so as long as I don't get really behind, I'll usually continue reading the thread.

Of course, I also decide pretty quickly if I am interested in the LP and will keep up with that thread if I am. Maybe I'm in the minority there.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Don't get too excited; PDP will forget all about this after he takes his medication.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

wildzero posted:

Meaning what, exactly? Did he buy an account? Is there a larger, forum-wide Sandcastle that I don't know about?

Is he starting to take this seriously? :lol:

Nothing he's said has ever been coherent.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't understand the atheism angle yet, is it just because diabetus is southern and therefore obviously a baptist minister?

I mean I totally understand how criticizing a sexist skyrim mod is itself sexist

I really want to believe it's a parody or something. That thing is just the worst; it's everything wrong with the tumblr community in one simple package.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Migeman posted:

Welcome to The Madhouse, Bats: Let's Play Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 by Rocksteady and has gained very favourable reviews, being one of the better Superhero games to be released in recent years. This isn't part of any sort of continuity, it borrows many elements from the comics and the Animated series and contains its own set background, we aren't given an origin story we are thrown in media res, Batman and the setting is done for us.

The gameplay is very simple and rewarding, I will go into more detail as options and tactics expand as the game goes on.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/YZVwDreMC9Y

I will make work expanding this OP soon enough, but I want to iron out any flaws with the content at the moment.

First thing that stood out, I don't believe we need to watch the game boot. Maybe just start with the main menu or, preferably imo, the opening cinematic. This is pretty minor, though.

Second thing is that the commentary is quite sparse. I think it's about twelve minutes until you say a word. I know that the first sequence with the Joker is pretty incredible to hear, but some light commentary would be appreciated. Introduce yourself, the game, throw in some Batman background here and there, etc. The incidental dialogue in this game is great, but some of it isn't terribly important and you should definitely work on saying what you want before the good stuff cuts you off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Migeman posted:

Well my main thoughts is that for the first 12 minutes it's just a continuation of the opening cinematic, I didn't really think it would be 'right' to talk over it, and being the first part, it is more story, I've recorded the footage for the second part and these two parts are quite story heavy. I can imagine the commentary getting more involved as I go along.

You aren't wrong, but it's just... awkward, not to hear an LPer talk until halfway in the video. You certainly should let the opening sequence speak for itself, but maybe at least an introduction before the game begins proper. Maybe that's just me, though. Maybe someone else could weigh in here.

V Well, there you go.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2012

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RentCavalier posted:

Ok, here's my first attempt at a video LP. It's kind of terrible, I'm sure:

Axel Rose Don't Know poo poo! Welcome to the Tokyo Jungle!

Your audio sounds really harsh. I actually had a hard time watching the video because of it.

You also seem to spend a lot of time lingering on the menu and pausing to go into detail about mechanics; this seems more like a game you want to just dive into and offer explanation as you go. After all, we won't be missing any dialogue.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 15, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ambisagrus posted:

Test post for a Rhythm Heaven Fever subtitle LP here! I've tinkered with it a bit already so I'm feeling good about it but it doesn't hurt to give it a once-over again.

This was incredibly entertaining. I'd say you're ready to go.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dithiannim posted:

Were you planning on explaining the developer's reason for not making sprites, or it's development into more detail?

I'm pretty sure this is just referential of old roguelikes, from the time when computers moved at a glacial pace and sprites took up way too much room on these things. You still see it in modern roguelikes all the time to pay homage to the games they're based on (and because it saves tons of time).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
How does DLC Quest take four episodes? I've played it myself and found it a fun little diversion, but it was really lacking in substance. It was over before I knew it. Not that people shouldn't play it, but you really seem to be milking this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can't help but wonder if Mike Judge is sitting somewhere right now shaking his head, wishing he never dared try to challenge the world to one-up Ow! My Balls!.

Don't worry, Let's Play is pretty late to that party.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Dark Id posted:

I'm surprised nobody has ever really brought up more often the underlying theme of multiplayer Mario games being "gently caress your friendships!" It's kind of hosed up when you sit back and look at how geared toward being the biggest shithead ever to your compatriots every single Mario game with multiplayer has been.

It seems likely that Nintendo means for them to be played by the whole family, who hate each other to begin with.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Three-Phase posted:

I really like Retsuprae. I am not going to injure myself for Retsuprae. Besides, I don't want to see them getting flagged or anything.

Well that would be fine, but I suggest you don't attempt to make a mallet into a pipe.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Someone call TDI, They're making Drakenguard 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag-On_Dragoon_3

God drat it, when I saw Access Games, I was hoping SWERY was making it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm surprised he supposedly finished Metal Gear Rising, given that 1, the final boss sounds insane and 2, his absolute hatred for Metal Gear.

What the gently caress do you mean "cut this?" There's no way I can cut that! It's just a sword! I can't cut through rocks! loving morons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, cool. Thanks. I'll look into Gamerstube, and if that doesn't work I'll just do the ads thing then. Thanks again.

Don't worry about the ads, seriously. If anyone hates ads that much they've got something to block them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cheez posted:

None of these people would even exist if Google hadn't hosed over the initial vision for YouTube, anyway. In its earlier, independant days, the "You" in YouTube actually meant something. Now it's just lovely internet TV and networks within networks within networks. Interesting content is overpowered by "popular" content.

So it's like television. :v:

I don't really think Google is to blame for this; it was basically an inevitability. Be thankful there's still a lot of good, interesting content despite the inherent popularity contest that comes with being a huge, community-driven website.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Psion posted:

Hey, that's what the Sandcastle is for. No shame in that.

Also don't let goons rename Squall.

Yeah, his name is Leon. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
There is so much poo poo to talk about when it comes to Mario, even more if you include Nintendo during the era Super Mario Bros. came out. Nintendo coming into its own and dominating the industry is probably one of the most interesting stories from the game industry, actually.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

steinrokkan posted:

Kinkshaming much?

Being fisted by cut characters from MGS2 is one hell of a specific kink

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

steinrokkan posted:

Why would you show me videos posted two minutes ago as a sample of YT's offerings?

When I say to somebody that I like French cinema, they generally don't assume I like home videos made by some random Toulouse dude, even though they technically classify as French cinema. Why the gently caress is this sort of inherent intelligence too much to expect when talking about LPs?

Because LP, especially when talking about random videos on YouTube, are way more akin to home videos than art pieces.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

steinrokkan posted:

They are entertainment, and you wouldn't find too many people arguing that some guy's blurry video of his mate's stag night has the same weight as the Eurovision finals.

In short, if you are willing to acknowledge that YouTube has moved way past the undifferentiated primordial soup of videos it used to be, there is no shortage of very decent videos.

I guess you've never seen America's Funniest Home Videos.

There are certainly decent videos, and popular channels on YouTube that show LPs which are perfectly fine and unconnected with this site. That does not mean that the average is remotely close to what floats to the top. Hell, most people here would claim that even what floats to the top sucks. I'm not saying we're any better, mind you; at any given time I follow like five LPs and most of them are from the same people I subscribe to on YouTube. I'm just saying, this whole argument is basically unrelated to what happens on this subforum.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 30, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LordHippoman posted:

Ooh, I didn't see those. Both of those guys are doing solid jobs, and I don't want to try to steal anyone's thunder or anything (plus I'm pretty terrible), so I think I'll lay off of NV for now and maybe look for a different game. Thanks for letting me know.

Well it's not like either of them are even VLPs. I'd be more concerned about figuring out how to ease up the boredom that can result from wandering in any game using that engine. You could try editing it down, but that could get disorienting. You could also try getting some funny commentary going on with others like a lot of people have done with games like New Vegas, but then you've got to worry about being funny when a lot of nothing is happening on screen. Maybe also a hybrid method with light editing to take out really long, boring treks.

Or something else entirely! Who knows. A lot of people might tell you not even to bother with a VLP of a game like that, but I'd probably check it out if someone made one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NoSkillRequired posted:

Hi there all! I'm starting up an LP for Cat Lady!

The commentary is a little weak in the first video, mainly because you read onscreen text when it isn't voice acted. That's a habit that turns a lot of people away. The commentary in general seems a little rough. I'd suggest speaking a bit less frequently; usually you wouldn't want dead air, but in an atmospheric game like this moments of silence help build tension.

The game is certainly neat. I've never heard of it before, and it's a lot cooler than I expected for something that looks like some cheap Flash horror game. I'd definitely watch more, but I just think you need to let the game breathe. It has a ton of character, but your current commentary style kind of crowds it out.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zfleeman posted:

Wouldn't there be a lot of lag? I stream every once in a while, and there's ~10 seconds of delay.

Hitbox has a pretty low latency. I've enjoyed plenty of LPs with that much lag for the other commentators. I think you can use screen share on Skype with one person without having to buy premium. That would work for post-commentary pretty well. If you were doing that, though, you could just share the recording with however many people you want and have everyone play the file at the same time.

VV I always forget about teamviewer and poo poo like that.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 7, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crikster posted:

Has anyone ever LP'd Trade Wars 2002? It's a door game on a BBS. You could say it's a precursor to the Everquest/Ultima Online-type, massive multiplayer rpgs. But it's a game that requires a lot of secrecy. If anyone found out my server and my sector numbers, they could invade my home base. The game has changed a whole lot since I've last played. It will be almost a lesson in scripting. I don't even know how to write scripts, so if I can't find a helper program than it will be an LP in losing and getting destroyed. It would be a screen shot LP, because there isn't much to look at, just a wall of scrolling text. These games have ANSI graphics. I would love to explain the basics, an keep an eye on the progression of a game from when it rebangs. I have such good memories of it but, it's meant to be played with other people. Should I do the LP by myself and do terrible game-play wise, while expose a forgotten game that still has a small dedicated following? Maybe in the future I can learn how to use the scripts and find other people to join.

I think posting a proof of concept would be helpful, because I don't think I have a really clear picture of the game. Generally, though, MMO LPs work better with others, especially if there's not a narrative or anything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crikster posted:

There's no narrative.You basically have a number of turns per day, and each action cost a turn. You travel from sector to sector trading. You would definitely need a script for the more mundane duties like trading and colonizing. You use the credits earned to buy upgraded ships with more cargo holds so you save more turns. Different ships have different turns used per move. You also need to use turns to build a home planet. The home base should be in a strategically placed sector, usually a string of 1-way sectors, which are called bubbles. Sector 1 is where all the colonists are located. You need to spend some time transporting these colonists to your planet. Colonists only regenerate every so often, so you are in competition with the other players for colonists. More colonists on your planet can mean upgraded Citadels. A level 3 citadel is a quasar cannon that will attack anyone that goes in the sector. People join together to make corporations. It's almost impossible to get anywhere without a team member to compensate for the limited turns per day. And ff you get destroyed, you can't play again for usually 2 days. You also have allignment, good or evil. It's much harder to play Evil.
This is all very unorganized concept vomit. I'll have to type out all the basics in an organized manner, with some sample pictures.

Does anyone else remember door games from the BBS days? It was before the internet as we know it, there were a certain number of spots on the BBS, and there were a fixed number of hours you could stay logged in per day. It was a very tight knit community though, and TW2K2 was a big part of it. There were other games, the most popular is probably Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD). I'd really have to search hard through the underground internet message boards to find people that are friendly enough to tutor me in the new Trade Wars strategies. That might be part of the LP. I'm going to give it all serious consideration because I think Trade Wars can be very thrilling. It's a very Star Trek influenced game that began in the 1980s and evolved a lot.

That sounds like a pretty interesting game to LP! I love to learn about the BBS era, and I had no idea about door games. I'd highly suggest getting a group together based on the description, though; seems like it'd be a slog before long without one. Could make for some good thread participation, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

unfair posted:

Back a while Slowbeef said 1024 was the current maximum acceptable width and I don't think that's changed since, though people around here seem to be really keen on small pictures for some reason - maybe a lot of people browse on their phones or something.

People tend to multitask on the Internet, so it's a fair bet most people aren't going to have their windows maximized.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

centralpotatoez posted:

In a competely unrelated topic, the tech support is down. What should I do?

What the hell do you mean? If you're talking about the Tech Support Fort, it's perfectly fine.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So when are we going to address the rule about "begging for donations"? Both of the new mods have patreons, as well as several big LPers around here. It seems a bit outdated by now. I think that shilling is kind of lovely, but there's plenty of examples of LPer's we've embraced asking for money off-site.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 4, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Guys, I'm not saying that the rule is wrong, exactly. I'm just saying that maybe it could use some fine-tuning. Specifically, the new episode of the Run Button Digimon World LP got me thinking about it, because they felt they needed to censor themselves about a patreon-only LP they were doing.

I don't even know if it needs to be changed, maybe just some clarification given recent trends.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

corn in the bible posted:

jesus christ what a bunch of assholes

lol if you think this was my point

It was an honest, simple question. I'm sorry if this has been asked before with some serious vitrol, but that wasn't at all my intent. I'd rather people with Patreons who do have exclusive content be able to advertise it mildly in some way. I like some guys who do have exclusive content. That's the extent of my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blind Sally posted:

i just like typing "wieners"

This is a position I can get behind.

• Locked thread