Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
Okay, I'm running across a very annoying bug. What does the game want me to do during a car chase?

I'm on the wedding cake level and I swear to God that is the fastest loving van I have ever seen in my life. But the part that kills me is that I can be ramming the little bitch and the "Don't Lose the Target" timer still counts down to zero.

I want to love this game so much....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It wants you to hijack it.

Hold the Sprint button and Wei will lean out the door. Get close and the arrow will change to Green, then quickly release and press A again.

You need to be on the leftish of the vehicle (Since you jump out the right.) You can be left and behind though.

I can't get close enough in 30 seconds. The "Don't Lose the Target" timer does not stop, and I was once in ramming distance to the cake van.

FakeEdit: loving BOLLOCKS. I somehow managed to make the hijack in 30 seconds and the TIMER STILL FAILED ME.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

The October DLC releases have been announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBogrbg54g

Street Racer Pack: More races.
SWAT Pack: 20 new "cop missions".
Tactical Soldier Pack: "The game’s most powerful weapons and armor"
Community Gift Pack: Free "tailor-made content"
???: New story-driven stuff, to be announced on October 14 at NYCC.

SWAT Pack has me thinking about a game inspired by The Raid. Gunplay in my martial arts? Yes please!

Also I just discovered there's a golden cleaver in my Triad Enforcer's trunk. Shenanigans ahoy!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I wish everyone had 17,000 times more lines. Everyone should be talking all the time like we just broke this technology. It would also be nice if Hong Kong had a truly suffocating population density. The traffic seems especially light.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The night market is the place for you.

Easily my favorite place in the game. I always slept in that grimey North Point apartment.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Dan Sochan, United Front producer, said himself that the DLCs will present "all the amazing stuff we didn't have time to do." I hope they do well enough to really extend the game.

I do wonder what they left on the cutting floor, so to speak. Nightmare on North Point looks fun, but it's clearly not a part of the original story development.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think they patched in an option to turn it off in the setup menu.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The most disappointing part of the DLC was that Dogeyes' voice actor was replaced with someone generic. I really hope they don't do this with future DLCs.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

GANDHITRON posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with this game, but does anyone else think the radios work a little weird? Whenever I exit and re-enter a car, it'll switch to a predetermined station and song and I have to switch back to what I was listening to previously, which usually causes the game to load a different song. It's weird to explain, but annoying as hell. I've done a little bit of searching, but I couldn't find anything that fixes this.

I think the radio only does this during missions. It loads up or restarts the same song specifically chosen for that mission's driving segment. Outside of missions, the radio should behave normally.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

* Everyone has the 'glowy eyes and weird voice' FX, evev people who obviously aren't possessed (like the tea vendor outside the apartment). Is this a glitch?

It's not a glitch. It's just that some ghosts think the best way to spread chaos is to sell overpriced miracle tea and dubious clothes from special suppliers.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

Do I just need to find more health shrines and never let my buffs fall off, or what?

Leveling up in general will make you a more effective fighter. Health helps a lot, obviously, and the next biggest help would probably come from the jade statues. Your master will teach you some pretty devastating moves that will also boost your face meter fast.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

bus stop posted:

You'll get used to it, it's not really that bad after a while. Although the bikes weren't very fun at any point.

You could do wheelies on bikes and ramp off cars. Bikes are fun at every point.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, I thought that they would each get a subplot after the initial date. Not that I do romances in games, but a little disappointing.

I'm with you. Overall I felt like the game just teased me with the highlights of its story, and then left a bunch of follow-up ideas/missions/plots on the cutting floor. Shame, shame, I want more Sleeping Dogs!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's the classic Fahrenheit problem of compressing too much plot in too little time. I wish SA had a United Front insider like we have in Ropekid so someone can talk to us about all the decisions, especially hard decisions, they had to make before getting Sleeping Dogs out the door. My suspicion is that this sudden ramping up of the plot pacing was a choice made under some deadline duress.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Do you have a link to that blog? I hope he updates regularly.

I wonder if a game developer would ever want to release a kind of Director's Cut DLC that restored the stuff they had to cut. I've enjoyed playing as Wei Shen, vampire hunter, kung-fu master and one-man PTU team, but I wouldn't mind just some more vanilla Shen as well. I could see how this kind of DLC would rub some people the wrong way though, as it would be content that really should have been in the final product and would generally just set a bad precedent for the company and games in general.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Did I just swagger into a night club, sing Johnny Cash and then beat someone to death with a fish.

Yeah but were you wearing a giant novelty pig helmet the whole time??

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Stealing cars for Jackie's Uncle will end eventually. Carjacking those armored cars will not.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They've got their charm, surely. How else does insanity stay in the gene pool?

Me, I'm all about Old Salty Crab. I dig a sense of humor and oddly specific knowledge of the occult.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Sleeping Dogs is auto-updating on Steam with a 1 gig patch.

Baby, what are you doing? Give me some information, here!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The only reason to postpone the Zodiac is that the fights can be tough, and they do not scale to Wei's levels. If you're getting creamed too much, I thiiink you can go back to the main island and beef up any time.

Oh, Zodiac is also not totally fitting with the continuity of the main story, if that's important to you.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What exactly are the consequences if you just pull out your gun and shoot people in the middle of a fistfight? I'm afraid to try it.

In those face missions when someone steals your wallet, you can in fact just gun them down.

Wei's dark.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Not a whole man, Bruce Wayne.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJBrwdJCzA&list=PLECC8B462D30B6517&index=152

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They blew their Chinese New Year release deadline, now they're delaying until 2025. I admire their commitment to the holiday.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Apparently the plan was for Wei to be able to ride off into the sunset with the girl of your choosing, but instead Wei just has sex with them in public and they add stuff to your map.

Hey, sometimes he took them back to an apartment like a gentleman.

Crappy Jack posted:

But only if they also add Salty dates.

Wei doesn't realize it, but the first part of Nightmare in North Point was a date with Salty.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

Maybe people were just that turned off by having to drive on "the wrong" side of the road.

If this is a reason any North American chose not to play Sleeping Dogs, I want to punch them in the nutters.

That the setting wasn't another generic American big city was why I was so charmed by Sleeping Dogs. Hear some different music, see some different architecture, drive on the other side and partake in the great pan-Asian experience of subsisting entirely on a diet of street vendor foods. Meanwhile, GTA V is taking place in San Andreas. I appreciate variations on a theme, but we've been here twice already!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ah hah hah, that's wonderful. And some people avoid the motorcycles!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

This is what I was thinking the whole time. Assumed it was going to be some "look what you did to meeee" thing at the end.

Would have made sense, but I can also see how it'd be hard to get Edison Chen back to do a DLC. I'm surprised and pleased Kelly Hu reprised her role for Year of the Snake!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

You seem awfully impressed by taking pretend photos of an awkwardly posing virtual girl :raise:

Hey, that virtual girl is voiced by the very real Emma Stone, so :colbert:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Wei "Non-lethal Force" Shen.

Those fish look so happy to be impaling someone.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
By tablet thing, I assume tablets will be one of the new weapons in The Next Adventures of Wei Shen : Creative Impaler.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

- I get that food/drinks are buffs, and they last some period of time (end of the day or until I die/arrested/something), should I just always be buying buffs whenever they are convenient?

Listen to what the game is telling you. A man without a pork bun in his hand can never be a whole man.

Are you a whole man, Wei Shen?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Do any of the radio stations play that Hard Way song, from the van chase with Jackie Ma? If not, why the gently caress not?

SOFTLY has you covered.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you haven't tried the drunken master Wei Shen at least once, you haven't really played as Wei Shen.

Also brutal taser cop Wei Shen.

Aie me, this game. It is way too short, it should have been roughly two hundred times longer.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's some actual honest to God subtlety in the writing too, particularly with Wei Shen's background. They never really delve into his life in San Francisco, though there's a hell of a lot of things implied.

I like the way Dogeyes explores some of Wei's backstory.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I hope they bring Wei back, but I'm not sure what else they could do with him.

They could make a story about his gun-totting, restaurant-owning twin brother. That's classic, solid sequel material.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Everyone should play CK2 for at least a couple hours, as a history lesson in why feudalism is so nutty.

I've also been following the development of Unrest, an RPG set in ancient India. It's looking pretty unorthodox in setting and gameplay; I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

So did Wei's dead brother still suck Dogeye's cock become one of his boys? :shrug:

"First boy eveh suck my caaaauk."

Ah, Dogeyes. A poet and a gangster.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WirelessPillow posted:

Didn't she die from overdosing on Drugs and Wei just put the blame on every gangster he knew?
Seems less a woman dying for a mans story and more a man finding any reason he can to be angry with what he already is angry about.

That is possible, and definitely a neat, subversive reading of the story and Wei's character.

Sleeping Dogs, however, is still a story about a man who found a reason to be angry from the death of his sister.

edit: And that reading is also Dogeyes's take on the situation. "I'm soooo sorry your sister blew me became your excuse to descend into a life of violence and vengeance in the flimsy disguise of protecting and serving."

Caufman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Shanakin posted:

Better yet it reports global stats to the website
http://www.sleepingdogs.net/#globalstats

Wei has been arrested in excess of 7.5 billion times, killed 2.9 billion enemies, and over 600m innocent pedestrians. He's nearly 6 Hitlers.

Wei Shen has depopulated Hong Kong 400 times over.

edit: His habitual infidelity is the only thing keeping the city populated.

• Locked thread