Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I miss all the fun stuff. Stupid being broke/wake to go to tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Pez posted:

I miss all the fun stuff. Stupid being broke/wake to go to tonight

God dammit, stop letting all your friends die :mad:

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Oh hey my City of Heroes install actually works now! Somehow it got unbroken. Excellent.

Global is @Ktzi, I'm on Virtue with a variety of un-SGed sub-30 alts because I can't get regular teams to do anything oh god I'm so lonely please help.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I guess I should ask for the invite into the Goon Channel if we're seriously doing this, huh? @WeX Majors, because I keep it simple.
Also, it turns out Marvin works better not using a giant weapon

And my basic attempt at a Mars Attacks alien results in a sad realization

The bubble helmet is too small for the exposed brain hair :(

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
need the think tank head in a jar costume

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Slung Blade posted:

God dammit, stop letting all your friends die :mad:

It was my 92 year old great aunt, couldn't do a lot :(

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How much is beam rifle? I might log on and snag it.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

600 points I think.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Beam Rifle is god drat loving perfect for fulfilling your Gundam Fantasies, and this was before the Mecha Pack.
It's Math, I'm not quite sure about though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now to wait for a goon to make a single character that hits all the spaces...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I don't really like Beam Rifle. It hinges hard on its gimmick but its gimmick never seems to loving work on my Beam/Psi Blaster (Soldier of Sorrow). I'm lucky if I see one Disintegrate! per mission, gently caress ever seeing Disintegrate Spread!.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Youre doing something wrong then I dont know cause it goes off all the time

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

Do I have to be online for a channel invite or is this just a slow thing / something I should actually post on the Goontown forums for

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i'm gonna say i'll invite you so that someone else actually logged in right now will snipe it before i can log in.

that's how we get things done around here.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Not even driving over the Rocky Mountains in a Prius could kill me!

Killed the Prius though, and apparently set the state on fire. I'm back. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You were gone?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

enough about you and your lovely car, hows your cat???

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Hi posted:

It was more a shot at the guy above my previous post that suggested scrutinizing over the best builds for stuff was somehow childish. Some people like to play and argue that peacebringers bring more to a team then frustration, some people like to spend more time in mids than they do leveling their characters, what. ever.
I wasn't suggesting that scrutinizing was childish, but the person I responded to was also talking about the image I responded to earlier.

I've not met any goons like this, but some people in CoH have a mindset that there's some specific powerset combination that is overpowered, without requiring any effort. Not the powersets themselves, pairing them together. It's the price of having so much customization, I guess.

Their thought process works like this:

Spines/Dark was bad
Spines/Willpower is good

I'm going to get another character to level 25 in hopes that I find something even better!

Generally, they're criticizing things without an understanding of them, which is what makes it childish. Of course, the image of the guy's profile is a joke from a goon, but there really are some people like that. If their character isn't strong, it can't be their fault, and it's not the fact that they're trying to perma whirlwind on an empathy defender, it's the game's fault.

I'm of the scrutinizing variety myself.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

first time i've seen this one.

PUPPY PUZZLE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 21, 2012

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Ktzi posted:

Oh hey my City of Heroes install actually works now! Somehow it got unbroken. Excellent.

Global is @Ktzi, I'm on Virtue with a variety of un-SGed sub-30 alts because I can't get regular teams to do anything oh god I'm so lonely please help.

Same here man, Hit me up: @Cpt. Sexy

I might be playing later today. Also, Can someone add me to the goon chat please?

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 13, 2012

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

How dare they put in all these ads for a Clanket without an actual Clanket costume piece.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
I should have asked this in-game last night.
I know you can customize your power colors on generation but can you also reselct at the tailor? If not there then where. I'm sure the game will let you I just plum forgot.

(And when the thread says the older players have a ton of "cash" and are not shy on handing it out, this is a serious TRUTH.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah, you can always change your power colors at the tailor, and also have different colors per costume if that flips your skirt.

And yeah basically a couple million means the world when you're still in DOs but once you graduate up to IO Sets you basically start working in the hundred millions or billions. What looks like a shitton to a mid-level dude is straight up chump change.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Goons have always been generous in CoH though, back before IOs when having double digit millions was like woaaaahh dude has no life people would still hand out a million or two for SOs like it wasnt a good chunk of their total wealth all the time.

The only reason you dont see it much anymore is because most people are established and dont need the inlfuence. Pretty much anyone in the channel probably wouldnt think twice about tossing someone SO money

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

Yeah I was flabbergasted earlier, I was griping about being unable to afford DOs and suddenly was flattened by Inf, crushing my fragile blaster body under its crushing weight and leaving me broken and rerolled as a scrapper because blasters are completely terrible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ktzi posted:

...because blasters are completely terrible.

Lies! Blasters are the bestest AT, and I refuse to believe otherwise. :colbert:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Blasters suck now? Was it a case of everybody-but-them-got-buffed? Once upon a time they were the damage kings, but now that IOs and Incarnate crap can turn scrappers, brutes, and dominators into God Eaters, I could see blasters falling behind.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Blasters suck now? Was it a case of everybody-but-them-got-buffed? Once upon a time they were the damage kings, but now that IOs and Incarnate crap can turn scrappers, brutes, and dominators into God Eaters, I could see blasters falling behind.

That's pretty much exactly it. Blasters have to use their Incarnate and IOs to shore up their weaknesses (mez, horribly squashiness), while Scrappers and Doms get to use their Incarnate stuff to turn themselves into horrifying death machines.

Blasters are still fun but until the alleged AT rework (which probably won't ever happen) happens they're just .. kind of bad. Play a blaster if you enjoy eating pavement a lot I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ktzi posted:

That's pretty much exactly it. Blasters have to use their Incarnate and IOs to shore up their weaknesses (mez, horribly squashiness), while Scrappers and Doms get to use their Incarnate stuff to turn themselves into horrifying death machines.

Blasters are still fun but until the alleged AT rework (which probably won't ever happen) happens they're just .. kind of bad. Play a blaster if you enjoy eating pavement a lot I guess.

Makes sense. Back in my old-timer days, Dominators sucked incredible rear end. What makes them good now? The relative ease of getting Perma-Domination? I remember my Grav/Fire dom wasn't even allowed on LRSF's.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Makes sense. Back in my old-timer days, Dominators sucked incredible rear end. What makes them good now? The relative ease of getting Perma-Domination? I remember my Grav/Fire dom wasn't even allowed on LRSF's.

Controls, debuffs, and the ability to do ridiculous shittons of damage basically.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Grav Control is very good now. And the rework of Defience made Blasters a lot more useful, but the inherent power of quickly gaining Debt Badges is still there..

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grav control seemed weird to me as a Dominator powerset because it had two powers that are explicitly attacks (Lift, Propel). Looks like the animation was fixed for Propel and they both do a little bonus tickle if the target is held, but are either of those worth taking when you have an entire secondary set of attacks?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Ktzi posted:

Controls, debuffs, and the ability to do ridiculous shittons of damage basically.
Well, question was what changed that brought dominators up from poo poo to much better than blasters and the answer is pretty much permadom. They're an AT that turns global recharge into a damage buff so naturally IOs and incarnate crap made them gods.

Oh and the same thing is true of Super Strength, color me shocked that it's also broken as gently caress now.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Oh and the same thing is true of Super Strength, color me shocked that it's also broken as gently caress now.

I ended up on a team with a Super Strength/ElA brute who was Incarnate +2.

Jesus loving christ doesn't begin to describe it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

OneEightHundred posted:

They're an AT that turns global recharge into a damage buff so naturally IOs and incarnate crap made them gods.

Global recharge damage buff? How's that? I thought the +Dmg was removed from Domination.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Oops nevermind that's old information. That's what I get for not playing in a long rear end time.

They got a 40-45% straight damage boost when Domination lost its damage bonus in I15, so they're like 15% lower base damage than a Blaster.

I think Blasters do have the highest damage output still, the problem is you do 100% less damage while dead and they have pretty much zero utility. Also, mez protection still matters way too much in high-level content, especially when pretty much their only defenses are in the epic pools and they don't work while mezzed.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 13, 2012

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Global recharge damage buff? How's that? I thought the +Dmg was removed from Domination.

It was, and to compensate, they got a generous boost to their base damage. In the long run it's been better.

Permadom is still a game changer thanks to the mez boost as well as the mez protection. Especially the protection, I'd go so far as to say.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

OneEightHundred posted:

I think Blasters do have the highest damage output still, the problem is you do 100% less damage while dead and they have pretty much zero utility. Also, mez protection still matters way too much in high-level content, especially when pretty much their only defenses are in the epic pools and they don't work while mezzed.

Assuming I'm not retarded and mis-remembering things, I believe they're on par with Scrappers for base damage. Even if they're a bit higher (or pull ahead from Defiance), they're still not the highest effective damage. Debuffs work wonders against hard targets, and I imagine there are quite a few combinations that can outshine whatever a Blaster can do in aoe.

Ranged sets on the whole are getting love in i24 according to Synapse. Whether or not that's Blaster specific or not I'm not sure, but I do recall him mentioning snipes were no longer going to be total poo poo.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

as someone who was a dom since cov beta, it was just your dom that sucked incredible rear end. lol grav. also remember these were the days when masterminds were still tolerated and even encouraged over other ATs on something as "serious" and "high end" as an RSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Assuming I'm not retarded and mis-remembering things, I believe they're on par with Scrappers for base damage. Even if they're a bit higher (or pull ahead from Defiance), they're still not the highest effective damage. Debuffs work wonders against hard targets, and I imagine there are quite a few combinations that can outshine whatever a Blaster can do in aoe.
I think Fire is still the highest ST, AOE they're definitely not top notch because Titan Weapons and Rage+Foot Stomp are ridiculous.

quote:

Ranged sets on the whole are getting love in i24 according to Synapse. Whether or not that's Blaster specific or not I'm not sure, but I do recall him mentioning snipes were no longer going to be total poo poo.
Yeah and if that happens Fire will be even more king since it's one of only three with a snipe and a high-damage blast and the other two are Psi and Archery.

Well, okay, Psi might turn good once you're able to IO Tele Blast out of knocking things across the room.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 13, 2012

• Locked thread