Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Welcome to City of Heroes Issue #23: Where Shadows Lie!

Patch Notes (Paragon Wiki)

• New zone: Night Ward (30-35 co-op)

• The Magisterium Incarnate Trial (24 players), which ties up the Praetorian War storyarc and unlocks...

• Hybrid Incarnate powers (more)

• Assault - increases damage
    • Control - extra damage+control to mezzed foes, or control procs on damage powers
    • Melee - regen + defense/resistance + status protection/taunt auras
    • Support - league-wide buffs

• The first edition in the SSA #2 series

• Kheldians can now switch forms instantly (but still suck)

• Statesman has finally hosed off (Miss Liberty now starts the STF)

• So has Sister Psyche (and her TF, it's been replaced with Penelope Yin's)

• Critters can now use Taunt effects on players

And the standard reminders:
  • Goons are generally playing on the :catdrugs: VIRTUE :catdrugs: server.

• There is a referral program for new and returning subscribers - post your email address in this thread for free Paragon Points / game time.

• To get an invite to our super secret chat channel, post your global handle either here in this thread or in Goontown's "Global Invites" forum

• After being invited, use a bind like this to talk in the GoonSquad channel: /bind <key> "beginchat /send GoonSquad "

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
first post

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I hope that's not it. :( Snipe changes are great, and AR/dev now has a reason to exist, but they don't sound like blaster fixes.

Tom Powers posted:

What's good about Devices now is targeting drone helps you get to the 20-22% ToHit needed to remove the int period on your snipe / move while casting.

So /devices, defenders and presumably corruptors can now build for always quick snipes, while the other blaster secondaries are reliant on Aim/BU uptime?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I like the snipe change and some of the blaster primaries will get a nice ST boost, it's just that it's a global change and ultimately your corruptor will still be better than your blaster.

I'll definitely have to take a closer look at the numbers, but "/mental dies a fraction less than the others, let's give them all a drain psyche clone" isn't really what I was hoping for.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Kheldarn posted:

OK, guys, lemme ask ya something:

What's the better version of a Set - The version that drops in-game, or the version sold on the Paragon Market?

At any specific level, they're both the same.

Overall, the market versions are perhaps better since they are always 'attuned' to your current level, so you can't underlevel them unless you exemp below the set's minimum level.

Market-bought sets procs are usually better than the in-game ones; at least until the in-game versions are revamped to use the same procs-per-minute formula.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
stj/ice is pro as hell if you can cope with the dumb armour sfx

only stalker i've ever loved~

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Are the new sets even part of i24 proper, or are they going to be market bought but accidentally delayed until players have started to get bored again?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Cyntalan posted:

The latest in bios.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I am going to miss playing dress up games and punching mans with you all. :(

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
my screenshots folder has the weirdest things in it.

/chatbeta 1, how very old school :)

makes things like http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=296596 look even more impressive. gone from a game where you struggled to talk to people, to including dynamic texture replacement and scripting. this game's developers, considering what they had to work from, must literally be wizards.

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 6, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Astoria in D minor was another of my favourites.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Listening to the last episode of the Massively podcast, and they open up with the original City of Heroes login screen music. Which only made me realize how much that original music owned. The GR theme was neat and all, but not quite the same. :smith:

Man, I'd totally forgotten what this sounded like and how awesome it was.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
motherfucking shield charge

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
also it sounds like cryptic have picked up some more of the dev team

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=689581

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Cuchulain posted:

Looking over the Titan Network forums

Well here is something that occurred to me. It will take some research....but in most cultures there is a token, an object or something of the sort, that indicates that you have committed an act of such shame and cowardice that you really should consider going home and drowning yourself. In the West it is a white feather--white feathers were given to young men in WWI who did not enlist, very often by young women. I am sure there is something similar in Korean culture.

Now imagine dozens, hundreds of such tokens sent to NCSoft...attached to "save CoH" cards.

Business card, with a six-sided die in each corner, each with 4 pips showing.

In red ink, the text on the card reads, "NCSoft. The Game Killer has taken the Left-Hand Path."

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Cuchulain posted:

Aside from dudes going "Private video game servers? IMPOSSIBLE!", I don't think anyone has presented an argument against one existing accept for "You'd have to be loving crazy to dedicate that much time to jury rig one together". Which is again not giving the level of crazy we're dealing with it's due.

It's certainly possible, I just think that unlike WoW, CoH has never attracted the right sort of spergs capable of doing so.

I don't know if it's still around, but there was a guy working on a private server a while back. IIRC after several years he eventually got login, character creation and the ability to spawn in an unpopulated Outbreak working, but then Cryptic conveniently changed the encryption/protocols/whatever used for client/server communication and so it was either throw it all away or keep plugging away at something circa-Issue #3.

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 4, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Pez posted:

For folks looking for the client, can't you just download the NCSoft launcher and install it that way? Or have they disabled it?

Yeah, this still works.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Soothing Vapors posted:

at least we can all agree on peacebringers

except for that one dude who always tried to insist his peacebringer was not a pile of poo poo

incandescent strike is and will always be the best power in the game

but yeah shame about literally everything else

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I've compiled my own list of everything we'd need to get to a working system. 95% of that is graphics assets, sounds and story arcs. :allears:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
It should still be available from within the NCsoft Launcher.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
from last night, this is the best screenshot i've taken in ages

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
here's a thing i wish i'd have spotted earlier, arcana (who else) ran an unofficial event on beta last night as an attempt to "wrap up" the story line, after somehow gaining GM privs

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4429704#post4429704

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Flesh Forge posted:

Seriously DO NOT MISS Number Six if you've never done it. The First Ward stuff is okay, Night Ward is kind of meh, but Number Six is pretty much the most emotive content I ever saw in the game and it has a powerful ending. Do it solo or as leader, and read everything!

e: I say do it solo because otherwise you don't get the Personal Story part at the very end, which was really the best part by far.

this was one of the coolest things ever.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
[Admin] NCsoft_Hit Streak: Engineers say that the server problems should be resolved soon. ETA: 4 hours. Thanks for your patience.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
thanks for everything, goons.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

for a brief moment, i had everything, and it was wonderful.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 1, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Stalgren posted:

Posing in the background of cutscenes was one of the most entertaining things to do

drat loving straight he did.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Bieeardo posted:

The biggest laugh I got out of that catchphrase was from the twits who thought i3 (and then i4) was going to bring open PVP. Yeah, about that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScwgauwaHFs

AlmightyPants posted:

I just remembered another amusing bug.

There was a player who had a hero on Protector named Miles. He would play in the mid-level PvP zone Siren's Call.

What made Miles particularly interesting is that whenever he did something that would appear in chat, the game would treat his name as a distance, so you would have a really odd combat log.

For all I know it could have worked with feet, meters, yards, kilometers, etc but I don't know if anyone ever tried.

There was also Matches on Victory, who's global chat conversations were always repeated by world objects in Peregrine Island. You'd be crossing the zone and see speech bubbles coming from mailboxes or moving trucks.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Oh wow. The costume creator is an awesome little tool to have around for RPGs and poo poo.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=yK2ezzt6

probably full of extra shite installed by piggviewers and such

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Ghostpilot posted:

Fulcrum Shift and really most of Kinetic Control's line (if I ever had to imagine what speed sounded like, it'd probably be this).

Was Fulcrum Shift ever changed back to that 500 wolves in a dumpster and crunch I just snapped the world in two sound, or did it end its days as that lame swishy thing?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
The guys on titan are using OGLE to generate solid models as rendered by OpenGL instead of trying to assemble them by hand.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
lollin irl

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
i also appear to have hundreds and hundreds of screenshots over the years of me hitting things with eagle's claw.

in team wipe photo chat, this is my favourite

we couldn't be bothered clearing the room and went straight for the titan. turns out they'd thought of that already, the entire cavern aggroed all at once.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
last one, i promise. MA/SR i miss you so much

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Q.) What was the backstory of Lady Grey? Of all the characters, she seems to be one of the most elusive in terms of giving away anything about herself.

A.) I don’t care what the other writers say or wanted to do with the character, the original intent was that she was an advance agent of Battalion, seeded here in the 1800s. When Battalion arrived, she would have shut down all of Vanguard, leaving Earth defenseless against the invasion. This was hinted in the fact that Vanguard had seemingly limitless access to Impervium, and when Battalion first started showing up would be even more so decked out in the stuff. Vanguard was getting it from Battalion all along.

oh snap, i'd never had figured that was the case.

Nemo posted:

CoH shut down because they brought the Fifth Column back! :tinfoil:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

minimalist posted:

It's because we loving HATE this game that we loved so much

edit: also I just wanted to beat up Nazis on the moon and punch an alien god the size of a skyscraper, that's all that ever mattered

:fap:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

minimalist posted:

I read an interview with Positron a year or so back where he said that his approach was basically to back off and let each new crop of writers do whatever the hell stories they wanted. And naturally, each bunch had their own stories they really wanted to tell, appropriateness of the setting be damned (seriously did anyone ask for that horseshit with the Black Knights in Night Ward, I can't even be bothered to remember if that had anything to do with anything, probably not; it never felt like it fit in CoH, at all).

the entire first ward/night ward thing is a big black hole of who cares in my mind. it seems like they took a cool idea about the DE and once again overloaded it with yet more new villain groups made of spooky ghosts and wizards.

the talons of vengeance were dumb as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
still my favourite.

Sharrow posted:

first post

• Locked thread