Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Gynovore posted:

You can play for free and not be gimped at all until the endgame
Except for not being able to send tells which gimps you pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Respecs occasionally wind up being the weekly so you can generally do them then.

SPACE DAD posted:

They're not difficult at all
Actually they're very difficult.... to stay awake in.

They need to cut the wave timers down to like a minute or something.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Mastermind/Beast Mastery is the only set in the game that flat-out sucks donkey balls.

OK Energy Manipulation is wrong, Gravity's a lot less poo poo than it used to be, and Pain Domination is missing but everything else is pretty much right.

I kind of wonder if MA will be good when they add that KB to KD thing even though its AOE is godawful.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I see a lot of kheldian hate, but what's the word on Widows and Fortunatas? I don't really see many of them.
Night Widows crap damage, are stupidly easy to stack defense on because of Mind Link, and have slots to spare, but they have low HP with no resists so getting hit hurts a LOT and they also cook off endurance like crazy. They're also pretty handy on a team because their leadership skills are in-set and endurance discounted, and Mind Link owns.

Fortunatas are weird. Main thing that sucks is they are seriously starved for slots, completely unlike Night Widows. The psi blasts have horrible animation times but the melee attacks all redraw. I think you're better off meleeing for damage anyway. Mind Link has a longer cooldown than the Night Widow version. They get a lot of long-cooldown AOE controls and a mag 4 ranged stun which insta-stuns pretty much any boss that isn't a robot, tank, or mez resistant. Overall, they're OK, and :siren: dual-spec lets you have both on the same character :siren: so why not.

Also Mask Presence is only a 40ft stealth and mobs have 60ft of perception unless you smokebomb them so you might want to slot a stealth IO somewhere (I put one in Combat Jumping because a slot was worth never having to remember to toggle Sprint).

e: Okay no resists isn't entirely accurate, they have a fuckload of psi resist (20% from Foresight, 10% from Indominatable Will, 30% from Mind Link), and that's it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 12, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Ktzi posted:

Controls, debuffs, and the ability to do ridiculous shittons of damage basically.
Well, question was what changed that brought dominators up from poo poo to much better than blasters and the answer is pretty much permadom. They're an AT that turns global recharge into a damage buff so naturally IOs and incarnate crap made them gods.

Oh and the same thing is true of Super Strength, color me shocked that it's also broken as gently caress now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Oops nevermind that's old information. That's what I get for not playing in a long rear end time.

They got a 40-45% straight damage boost when Domination lost its damage bonus in I15, so they're like 15% lower base damage than a Blaster.

I think Blasters do have the highest damage output still, the problem is you do 100% less damage while dead and they have pretty much zero utility. Also, mez protection still matters way too much in high-level content, especially when pretty much their only defenses are in the epic pools and they don't work while mezzed.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 13, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Assuming I'm not retarded and mis-remembering things, I believe they're on par with Scrappers for base damage. Even if they're a bit higher (or pull ahead from Defiance), they're still not the highest effective damage. Debuffs work wonders against hard targets, and I imagine there are quite a few combinations that can outshine whatever a Blaster can do in aoe.
I think Fire is still the highest ST, AOE they're definitely not top notch because Titan Weapons and Rage+Foot Stomp are ridiculous.

quote:

Ranged sets on the whole are getting love in i24 according to Synapse. Whether or not that's Blaster specific or not I'm not sure, but I do recall him mentioning snipes were no longer going to be total poo poo.
Yeah and if that happens Fire will be even more king since it's one of only three with a snipe and a high-damage blast and the other two are Psi and Archery.

Well, okay, Psi might turn good once you're able to IO Tele Blast out of knocking things across the room.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 13, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sonic's actual damage is dreadful.

:spergin: Fire Ball does 79 DPA base and Blaze does 188. The highest in Sonic is Scream with 55.

The -RES is obviously really nice because of teammates but if your goal is teammate damage then you're much better off with an AT with a support set that can dump a -30% RES AOE on everything.

Really the main problems are that Blaster secondaries are total rear end, debuffing blast sets pay too much in damage (the snipe buff would help here), and cone cast times are too long. The first problem is pretty much unfixable because it's mainly due to completely incomprehensible power choices but of course pubbies will rage about their concept being ruined if someone hints that putting Boost Range in a secondary with 5 melee attacks might have involved alcohol.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 13, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

just sayin if you want to play a blaster that punches dudes sonic is a good way to go

but i read what you said wrong anyways you were referring to sets with snipes so my bad.
Well, what I was saying was Fire was going to turn into the new god set because it's already the best ST and among the best AOE set and it would still benefit from a snipe buff.

If you're talking about what does the best ST damage then I guess you'd have to measure it but even if you're punching stuff I'm not sure -13% RES makes up for losing Blaze because Blaze just does a shitload of damage.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

well yeah nothing will ever beat blaze it's just too good/fast, ice comes close though.
Telekinetic Blast actually hits really hard too (122 DPA) but it has a gigantic knockback. Blaze isn't really that out of line, considering most sets simply do not have a skill in the "high damage blast" role, but Sonic is just really bad damage-wise. It's worse than Archery.

e: If anything's out of line in Fire, it's Fire Ball.

Slung Blade posted:

Energy melee is pretty good as a secondary. You get a ton of buffs and the attacks are fun.
The main thing in any of them is the attacks, but most of them pad that out with a deluge of damage auras that will just get you killed, useless mag 2 mez effects, or debuffs that barely do anything. Ice is the worst offender with the poo poo trifecta of Chilling Embrace, Frozen Aura, and Shiver. It really wouldn't be too broken if they added just ONE major useful utility skill like I dunno Tar Patch or something.

The melee attacks are also more of a problem than they used to be because of the type of enemies they've been adding. "Range is not defense" used to be this big common trope because everything has ranged attacks or will just run up and slap you, but then they added a bunch of high-level enemies that spam AOE attacks and AOE mezzes on your melee constantly, so now you get whacked even when you don't have aggro.

quote:

Regardless, who gives a gently caress. Play what you enjoy and find fun, who cares about numbers.
brb gonna make a spreadsheet and chart out fun factor on one axis and time spent dead on the other

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 13, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

That's OK I'll cheat and put "time pets spend dead" on the same axis.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The fact that Doms get Sleet in their epic pool is like the punchline of why Blaster secondaries blow.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I think you read that wrong, ice 4 lyfe.

(But holy gently caress buff Frost Breath already. And give me back my pre-nerf Ice Blast cast time.)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 14, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

Fireball and fire rain are nice because you can do that poo poo around corners.
Fire Ball targets a unit so you need LOS.

Re: Devices, it's better than nothing but it's hard to do much when Blaster defense is so bad. All of their +DEF pool powers have really bad numbers for some reason, Cloak itself is only +1.75% and doesn't work with Stealth (which gives the same numbers, but costs more and has better stealth range). :sigh:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 14, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Aeric posted:

GD>GC>SD>GC does 89.67 DPS unenhanced.
(164+57.81+123.9+57.81)/(1.98+0.924+1.584+0.924) = 403.52 / 5.412 = 74.5

:confused:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Issue 23 was released 2 weeks after Diablo 3, so it didn't cause the usual spike in people coming back to the game

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Pez posted:

While that is indeed awesome, they don't seem to read character bios at contests :(
So just spam it in chat I guess.

Patware posted:

gently caress the goddamn Living Spells, holy poo poo.
I guess they finally decided to close the gap between classes with and without mez resistance.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I had a brief stint doing it the last time I was subbed.

It was more interesting than I expected, but eventually got bored and realized any effort spent making character concepts was better spent on

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Bios are a good example. I first noticed in a foray over to CO - I don't know if their bios have a text cap, if they do it's so high nobody has a problem with it... And as a consequence everyone's bios are so boring. They put in everything that's brought this character to where they are, and invariably the result is a block of the most boring text you've ever seen. 1024 characters is restrictive, but if you can't fit your story into that and remain interesting, it is not the text limit at fault. Basically, 'bio too big for character description' is a bigger sign of a lovely RPer than 'ERPer'.
The main problem with RP in general is that people think they're more interesting than they actually are.

The second problem is how many of them just use it as a pretext to cyberfuck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

+Regen is nice for soloing but isn't nice for avoiding getting gibbed.

The absorb shield sounds like the best of that batch at least, unless it still requires standing near enemies in which case good work at trolling Blasters into dying more.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Regarding snipes: The only way to have them available permanently without team buffs is of course Targeting Drone, which gives you exactly enough with 3 level 50 +ToHit buff IOs. I guess this is what they meant when they said it wasn't random! Ironically, you DON'T get enough if you run a full +ToHit buff set.

Soul Drain gives you enough if you also run Tactics.

Defenders have enough to permanently run snipes if they take Tactics and Focused Accuracy, ironically granting that godawful skill a purpose at last. Oh wait it still has a 0.78/sec endurance cost what the gently caress Paragon. Corruptors can too but they need more +ToHit enhancements.

If you run Time then you don't need FA because Farsight can now add another line to the list of why it's hilariously overpowered.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sharrow posted:

So /devices, defenders and presumably corruptors can now build for always quick snipes, while the other blaster secondaries are reliant on Aim/BU uptime?
Dark can get them up permanently with Soul Drain if you have enough IOs to get it below 30 seconds (and Hasten).

Fire/Dark will probably be the new king of Blaster specs with IOs, although Psi/Dark might have better ST since Lance/WillDom/TeleBlast with the new -knockback IO will probably be a ridiculous ST chain. Fire/Time will probably be the new king of Corruptor specs, oh wait it already is.

Ice is probably going to fall down a rung thanks to Psi.

Actually the biggest irony in this whole thing is that Psi/Devices will probably be the best soloing spec for blasters.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 21, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

wouldn't you just have to hit aim and then snipe? am i missing something? i didn't watch the video
They put them on very short activation times, probably 1 sec. Most of them do a bit less damage than Blaze, except for Blazing Bolt, which does even more, so any spec that can spam the poo poo out of them is going to get a considerable advantage over any time period longer than the 20 seconds or so you have until Aim and Build Up wear off.

Oh yeah I just realized something even better: Corruptors and Defenders can get it with just Tactics if they take the Kismet +6% IO, though Corruptors have to frankenslot it.

Basically what I'm saying is start buying up that IO so you can flip it, Focused Accuracy is back to being godawful, and Blasters are getting the short end of the stick again. :lol:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 21, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

+ToHit was an attempt to shoehorn Targeting Drone into being useful.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So what's the snipe change exactly? If you have +62.5% ToHit, they activate quickly? And it seems like Aim is the intended means of getting there?
+22%

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

rantmo posted:

It's a series of kill-all missions in the layer cake cave map, all the enemies are Malta, Carnies, Knives, and Tsoo Sorcerers and they all have Caltrops. They spawn in waves every seven minutes and immediately scatter/get blown into the geometry by Sunstorm.

It's for levels 25 to 44.
At least it doesn't have Talons.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Talons suck because they have an auto-hit lightning AOE that's barely visible and that dumb cave-in skill makes it impossible to see anything (and it also auto-hits).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Nature Affinity looks worse than Dark at everything. :colbert:

Water Blast looks like it'll be really good though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Is the -knockback IO on beta?

If so, does it work on Tornado and Bonfire?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

And Waterspout?
Waterspout is already a knockup, not a knockback, so it doesn't really need it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tom Powers posted:

The recipe is quite a bit cheaper.
It's even cheaper than that if you're willing to play enhancement converter lotto since the other Steadfast recipes cost jack poo poo.

Oh yeah and apparently my controller will have better defenses than my brute because Fade is stupid.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hi posted:

Youve been on virtue way too long if that barely registers as a retarded bio.
Zero weird sexual fetishes? Yawn.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

From the forums, it sounds like the knockback to knockdown IO works on Bonfire and Tornado, but doesn't work against high-con enemies. :toot:?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Welp, the knockdown IO does indeed work with Bonfire and Tornado. Time to make a Fire/Fire Dom. And Ice Control is now even more useless than before since Bonfire is now better than its main gimmick in every way.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 29, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Defenders are 100% better than Corruptors. Defenders have a damage scalar of .65, Corruptors .75; however, Defenders get a 30% damage buff when soloing, which means they solo better. On teams, buffing is more important, and Defenders are much, much better at that.
It really depends on the sets you're using. Also the +30% damage buff is base damage which winds up being about the same as the scalar difference overall, but you still lose Scourge.

Storm doesn't differ much at all between them (5% -res on Freezing Rain, 1.75% +def on Steamy Mist, 10% damage on Lightning Storm, no difference at all on Tornado). If you want damage, go Ice/Storm or Fire/Storm Corruptor, if you want your team to kill poo poo faster, go Storm/Sonic Defender. The latter is probably better because Storm sucks down a ton of endurance.

Also the real answer is Controller because Earth/Storm and Plant/Storm were hilarious before this and now Tornado+Water Spout is legit.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

LaserShark posted:

Isn't the set unique, though? I don't think you can put it in both powers. Could be wrong, of course.
Water Spout is a knockup, not knockback.

e: I can't find any other good use for this thing really. PBs can't slot it into LD/SF at the same time. M30 Grenade and Explosive Arrow do terrible damage. Crane Kick isn't good enough to salvage Martial Arts. Telekinetic Blast owns but Psi still needs the snipe change to be good.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

Hell, even the mez protection isn't even a problem anymore (thanks to perma-Light Form). The problem is that they're the only AT that's balanced around the assumption that you're going to have enough recharge to make your "godmode" permanent.
Eh, Widows are in a similar boat with Mind Link.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I've found the optimal tanker build:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 2, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Well I think I've seen the most interesting Romulus kill to date: Our 4 plant controller team inadvertantily confused all of the nictus essences at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

And I can't really recommend x/regen in it's current state, and with Bio Armor around the corner and in a state on unknown I'd want to wait, personally. Now if you insist on x/regen I can give some advice.
It's hard to recommend even without bio armor when Willpower, Energy Aura, Ninjitsu, Dark Armor, and Electric Armor exist.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 2, 2012

• Locked thread