Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, seeing the CoH thread suddenly at the top of MMO HMO had me thinking that something had finally come out of those people trying to save CoX from NCSoft.

Sup, Dark/Dark Defender from day 1, and never mained anything else. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I really am starting to forget this game. Thinking about Stone Tankers had me trying to figure out how I remembered them running around like rabbits on crack, then remembering it was because of /Kin controllers, because the travel power of choice for Stone/ was Teleport, then trying to remember a time before Fire/Kin was FOTM, then my Grav/Sonic troller, then how barftastic Sonic was until they turned it into the Tang Field. (Not me, I was fine with it, but I always felt that they could have made it not look so ugly.)

I miss teleporting as a travel mode.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Indeed. Go Warshade next time. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, I would relevel a D3 without a single thought too, I17 Vigilance damage buff or no. Or much of anything, really, but I think that's because Dark Miasma/Dark Blast got the fewest number of changes over the entire life of the game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Aaaaaaaaaargh, I am still pissed that we never got I24, Martial Combat would have been amazing and I absolutely would have rerolled my Sonic/En blaster as a Sonic/MC Lion's Roar/Iron Fist martial artist blaster because better flavor alksdjf;klasjdfl;kajsdfl;kjasdlkf

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, that was the whole point of the concept anyways. I had watched Kung Fu Hustle for the umpteenth time while playing CoX, I figured what the heck, I might as well make a character. Sonic Attack gave me the Lion's Roar, and Power Thrust from /En gave me the Buddha's Palm. Write up a lovely justification for the two, and costume straight out of some other terribly dubbed whitewash kung fu movie, and bam.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sometimes, I do wonder if, with all of the crowdfunded money that the name CoH is capable of generating, or, at least, was capable of generating, (I imagine some wells are dry now) that the community would not have been better served by paying someone or some ones to pull a Mission: Impossible and break in to get a copy of the servers. City of Titans was what, half a million, at least? =P How much other money has been raised on the promise of the return of our beloved CoX?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A bit, you say. It would be a LOT illegal. So would running a private CoX server. Sure, there's a difference of degrees, but this conversation is heading down a direction I don't like for what was just a throw-away, half-jokey reminiscing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whoa whoa whoa, Warcabbit is a goon?

Cool beans. Don't make me regret tossing money at CoT, yo. =P

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WeX Majors posted:

I legit don't understand how you can be in this thread even remotely, and not realize Warc is a Goon. Like, I'm pretty sure that's why this thread is even still here.

That, and for us to talk about Tommy's packages.

I'm actually a fairly new goon, only joined in the past year-and-a-half, and only just happened on this thread in the past week. I was poking the MMO HMO subforum for a new F2P bullshit to amuse me while I wait for FFXIV's next major patch, saw this thread inexplicably at the top, and then decided to get in on the nostalgia, because if CoX were still alive, I'd still be playing it right now either as my main MMO, or what I play when I'm tired of my main MMO.

RIP, Paragon City. =(

Anyways, back when I was playing, I was not playing with Goons, I hung out with the Virtue United folks and some other friends of mine. Heck, I wasn't even aware of the breadth of the Goonmind at the time, I thought they were just big in WoW and EVE.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tommy 2.0 posted:

OK. God bless this thread for it's slight derails or I never would have started watching One Punch Man.

edit: Ok Wrecker. gently caress you. Happy now?

edit edit: Holy gently caress this show is good. It's gorgeous and I'm laughing my rear end off.

If you're into superhero anime, you may also be pleased to hear that My Hero Academia is getting an anime as well. Great Japanese take on Western comics as well, society where about half the population have "Quirks" (read: mutations) and a school for kids with Quirks. (Not an X-men ripoff. 100% not joking, it's much better than that.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
On the one hand, I get it. "It's not ready" and I are very familiar with eachother.

On the other, some Greenlight games show up with less progress.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I pray that none of my characters have ever earned any of your derision.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm with Mirage, it always seemed that the minions naturally died first, followed by the LTs, which would only leave the bosses for all the pets to focus on in the end. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is better AI than the average pubbie. (Rule #4 of MMOs being "Kill Adds," anyways.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LordSaturn posted:

I really liked CoH teleportation, specifically having to target a destination. Multi-hop teleports were kind of fun, too, and the difficulty of needing to plan your route in advance could be mitigated by making the hovering grace period longer.

Hover duration was fine. :colbert:

Of course, I did use mousechord as my shortcut for teleport, which, let me tell you, makes using teleport infinitely easier. It becomes a one-handed operation of chord, click target, chord, click target, chord, click target across the entire zone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zizi posted:

Not that Posi wasn't the absolute worst or anything, but this and Malta sappers was like complete justification for my decision to main an MA/SR scrapper. It was an oft-overlooked fact that /SR defenses were ALSO untyped, so as long as you had +Melee Def and +Ranged Def toggles in your build, Posi was tolerable. The biggest problem with Posi for me was it was long and also disinteresting, and sent you all over the place without real travel powers, IIRC.

Not to :toot: my own horn or anything, (I'm lying, I totally am) but poo poo like that made my entirely RP-driven decision to roll a D3 as my main look like genius. Who cares about defense types when their ToHit is poo poo to begin with?!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kafziel posted:

Triangles.

Which don't mean jack shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit~

Triangles were only ever mez prot, which fine, they could ignore Tenebrous Tentacles for about a minute. Still have to contend with -ToHit from everything, -Dam from DN, -Res from Tar Patch, -Regen from HT, your blasts, Fluffy doubling everything, and Fluffy just STANDING there.

And that was before Vigilance got buffed. Coneblasting as a D3 got even better soloing post-buff. So good.

kafziel posted:

Nnnno, they were pretty drat mean even so.

I mean, what are you when running Positron, 10-15? Let's assume 15 to be generous. And let's say you're maintaining Darkest Night, Twilight Grasp, and the debuffs from, say, two attacks at a time. That's about the best you can hope for at that level of enhancing, and you can't sustain it for long without Stamina.

So! 18.75% from Darkest Night, 6.25% from Twilight Grasp, 9.375x2 for your attacks, that's a whopping 43.75% -tohit. Nice! That's practically softcap! Of course, even at level 15, Archvillain debuff resistance still applies, and it's .67 at that level. So that all goes down to 14.4375%. If you're going whole hog with the debuffs and burning all your endurance to do it, you're less than Dispersion Bubble.

Or maybe you didn't mean Positron, maybe you meant at higher levels. Sure! Everything's slotted, you've got set bonuses ... let's say two of Twilight Grasp and three attacks at once, and let's just assume everything's enhanced, for giggles. Because except for Darkest Night you never enhance those for -ToHit. So you're up to -115.78% ToHit. Great! Triangles are .85 at level 50, that adds up to ~17.37%. So all of your efforts and slots are adding up to slightly more than slotted Dispersion Bubble. Good show. And it only gets worse if you're not at the lowest difficulty - fighting a 51, you're doing -15.63%. Fighting a 52, you're under 13%. 53, 10.5%, and against the 54s that populated the top end TFs, you're offering a whopping -7.22% debuff. Less than a Luck for all your effort.

D3 had its strengths, but against Archvillains, it wasn't the -ToHit.

There were a couple of things that Dark Miasma brought to the table over FF/ around Posi levels. Off the top of my head, a heal, an AoE stun that had the side effect of being a mass rez, light control in the form of Tar Patch, -Damage in the form of Darkest Night (which, I note, up until that point, you were most likely fighting Vahz. Darkest Night pulsing was basically a gently caress You against Vahz and prevented them from ever detonating*.) and because of how -Res (behind the scenes coded as incoming +dam) and -Dam were coded, enhancing one enhanced the other. So if you slapped a thing with both, they proceeded to take even more damage and their damage sucked even more.

And you make it sound like you were going to bust all your end and run out and still die, or something. Except Vigilance, which basically meant that you could keep all that up pretty much indefinitely.

You've got bubbles, having to priodically stop to reapply, some mez prot, a SHTF button, and a punt. =P

*Also worked pretty good against Life Mages down the line, too.

Nonexistence posted:

Man I'd still be playing this game. What made so many bad ideas take over the MMO world? Nobody likes theme parks, yet seemingly every new MMO ~must~ use that questing system. Nobody likes choppy momentum in gameplay, yet still many games have click-to-loot, big barriers to partying, and half-baked action-rpg combat that hampers pacing and punishes you mercilessly for the server lagging. CoH was just so simple and streamlined for fun and that's what I miss. Being a bit hyperbolic but it's a rant.

The fact of the matter is that copycats are late. If you see a trend, and you jump on it, the nature of non-indie game development means that your copycat product is, at minimum, three years removed from the trend you wanted to hop onto.

In this case, the trend is WoW, which is why decisions made in MMO development are that much more fallacious, as the market has advanced by three or four years at minimum by the time your planning committee decided to even start work on an MMO.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 10, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm sad I never got around to playing with a Dark/Sonic, but I never could come up with a suitable theme.

Glad I got a chance to make the Sonic/Elec. I think the name was Static Boom or something like that.

Made a Sonic/En that I absolutely would have rerolled into Sonic/MA if we'd gotten it. (The character was a terrible rip on schlocky kung fu movies. Kung Fu Hustle was the trigger.)

Am sad I never got to complete my Triform WS's Proc Lobster build.

Alas, my huge-bodied assassin, Stealthy Like Rhino. DB/Nin just was too much of a slog the last five levels or so.

I never got around to making that Water/Storm Corruptor.

I have lots of regrets about CoH. =(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thought exercise. If you could play i24 CoX revival, would you revise that statement?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God help me, I found the paragonwiki article on the Sorcery Power Pool, and oh god I would have gotten everything in that pool and now somehow I found an old youtube video of me soloing poo poo, and then I started messing with Mids' and please send help.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Rikti mod plzkthx

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Make him a soccer hooligan and call him Chavvy Longlegs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How *did* Taunt work, anyhow? I mean, the most insane way I can think of making it work would be to invisibly insert 1000 entries into a mob's aggro list that said "Taunter" that get removed after X duration.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Pretty sure that Dragon Age treated toggles in exactly the same way, reserving a chunk of your resource bar. So... deniability!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If there was one game that I wish I'd gotten into, it was Rift, which seemed like it had a pretty good handle on making combat feel less staid and boring, and about as close as one gets to a character action game in MMO form. (again, I didn't get into it very much. This was before becoming a goon and discovering that holy poo poo there are people to play this game with.)

Warc: If there's one thing you should steal from THAT game, is that if you've got something where you're going to be hitting the same three buttons in order over and over again, make it so that pressing that first skill changes the icon into that of the second, and then pressing it again changes the icon into that of the third, and then you can fire off the entire combo from one button. So drat good for freeing up bar space.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ugh, and having to search through, what was it, 40 levels worth of performance shifter just to find the one with the right combination of price while not being inactive until level 49.

yeah, that AH was an abortion. Buy/Sell was great, but the interface was monstrous.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WarLocke posted:

Oh god drat it XCOM2 out already?

Later today.

edit: Well, midnight EST. But I'm on the west coast, so.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 4, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Peh, in my day, we used a Hellion, and we liked it!

(Yezplz.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I will say this about Black Desert: Building MMOs on Crytek is, has always been, and will continue to be, for the foreseeable future, stupid as hell.

Kudos on the step forward.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 4, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm even more minksed up than when we started.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wrote the guide for Dark/Dark Defenders. Yup, that's me. I might have actually spent the most time on all servers playing that power combo, but gently caress, I had no idea how to convey this information and get it out onto words that wasn't just lovely word salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See some of you in FFXIV? Seriously, I'm loving the crap out of it, but I'm a sucker for story.

Also, I'm the loser who wrote the terrible Dark Miasma/Dark Blast guide. I might have literally spent the most time on that powerset combo than anyone else dating all the way back to launch, but holy crap did I not know how to get what I knew in my head out into words on paper. I'm sorry.

• Locked thread