Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I recently got my hands on Shogun 2. Couple of questions. Is there any way to disable that goddamn opening cinematic? I don't want to wait three minutes for a prerendered cutscene to load that I skip immediately anyways. Second, choppy unit animations. I have a decent framerate in the low 30s, but the units look like they are running in stop motion. Any particular fix for this?

On the M2TW front, Scotland has got to be my favorite anti Timurid army. Throw a swarm of pike stacks down into the Holy Land and watch as the death armies struggle to contend with the masters of static anti cavalry defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's your preferred army setup? In M2TW, when I play Scotland, I go with a primary line of eight Pikemen, a second line of six Highland Nobles or Swordsmen, two archers (scots archers suck), and fill the rest out with Cavalry. The Highland Nobles are loving awesome with their claymores, they devour enemy units. They aren't the strongest greatsword unit in the game (I think those are the Zweihanders), but the Nobles are so numerous and cheap to produce that it doesn't matter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any good mods for Shogun 2 that slow the combat down? I like the increased lethality over the older games, but I'd rather the battles not last five minutes. I also am loving the dying units struggling amongst the mound of corpses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I am very impressed with the CAI in Shogun 2 over the other games. I started an Uesugi campaign, and was beaten in seven turns. The Takeda allied with a number of smaller clans, and while I was marching on the Jinbo, my vassal was overrun and then a huge stack of naganita samurai were on Echigo, with only Kenshin, retainers and two Ashigaru Bowmen defending. It didn't end well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo, the Uesugi are a tough nation to play. You even think about defending your vassal and suddenly the Date jump you with a doom stack. If not them, than the Takeda, or the Hojo, or the Imagawa.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I think I've finally got my footing with the Uesugi. I gave up my vassal, allied with the Mogami (who surprisingly obliterated the Date and kicked out the Hojo). Then I allied with the Ikko-Ikki to use them as a buffer against the Takeda and the dudes with the green circle banner. Once I'd ripped up the Satomi, killed off the Takeda and the Oda, and then turned on the Ikko Ikki, I think my frontier is set, with only allies behind.

Now if only I could get Echigo back from my allied Yamouchi.... it's hard being the DRAGON OF ECHIGO if you don't even own the province.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pulled an excellent play against the Hatakeyama. Kenshin had diverted east from Kai to assault the Satomi, who were pushing up through Yamouichi territory towards Etchu. I managed to draw them back south by attacking Musashi and Hitachi. Problem was, the Hatakeyama decided to attack the relatively unguarded Kai region with a full stack of samurai and generals. I fought with limited garrisons, whittling them down even as they sacked Kai and stormed east for Musashi. Musashi fell next, with Kenshin on his way back from conquering Hitachi. By this point, the Hatakeyama had lost about half their troops, so I laid siege for a turn, hoping to draw them into a field battle.

The ploy worked, and a half strength stack went up against my elite army with Kenshin himself leading. Massacred the Hatakeyama family by killing all three generals in the stack and obliterating them. This caused so much damage to their military that I forced them to sue for peace, and break their alliance with the Takeda, holed up in Kaga. Between myself and the Ikko-Ikki madmen, the Takeda were vanquished, and the Hatakeyama military power has been broken ever since.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Nanban trade worth it for the Uesugi? The guns are tempting, but it seems like the christian influence would go against the Uesugi's religious beliefs and their super monks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roma Surrectum 2 in that bunch isn't it? I like how that mod managed to introduce HDR to a game that was never built to handle it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that they overhaul the combat sounds for Rome 2. Since Empire, infantry charges haven't been nearly as exciting. Back in Rome, when the Centurion ordered a charge, troops would absolutely scream while rushing forward. But from Empire onwards, a charge has been less YEEEAARRRGH! and more Nyaaaaaaaaah! It sounds really pissy, and the combat sounds don't help. No clashing and banging, just the sound of two men slapping wet meat together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that they've fixed sieges for this game. First off, make a siege a long and costly method of taking a city. 6+ turns on the campaign map to besiege a settlement, with equipment production taking a lot longer. Have Sieges be a rare gameplay occurrence, as an absolute last resort.

This would mean cutting out the "If the reinforcing army routs, the city routs too" approach, but I'd take it over having to slog across the walls again.

But anything is better than Empire or Shogun 2's sieges. Grappling hooks and monkey soldiers is worse than a whole unit getting stuck on a siege tower in my mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait, you can build forts on top of resource nodes? Why have I never tried that before? Probably because I've never had a truly defensive campaign until Shogun 2. It was all ATTACK EVERYBODY WHO ISN'T ME OR ISN'T ALREADY SUCKING MY KING'S DICK.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ughhhh posted:

why are people who play total war generally horrible? Was watching HeirofCarthage videos after the gameplay preview, and in the middle of videos he chimes in with witty libertarian wisdom for the viewers :evil:

HeirofCarthage is nothing compared to the egotist that is PrinceOfMacedon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SHISHKABOB posted:

His earlier videos are pretty fun to watch, though.

I am just baffled at how the man functions. Back when Empire was new, and I was still commenting on Youtube videos unironically, I asked him why he refused to use the premium units that came with the collector's edition he bought. He proceeded to flip poo poo, accuse me of implying he "hated" the game, and blocked me from commenting on his channel. And then he ended up saying he hated ETW anyways, go figure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sounds like Rome 2. The number of soldiers in a unit is represented by a bar now. To see the exact number you need to select a unit individually.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mod question time: While I'm waiting for Rome 2 to become unfucked by patches, I've been playing the first Rome. I am currently debating between playing Roma Surrectum or Rome Total Realism. gently caress Europa Barbarorum, I'd rather have intuitive gameplay than a history lesson.

Roma Surrectum I've always admired because of the excellent visual overhaul and the legion variation, but I've never been a fan of hour long battles. Rome Total Realism I'd played in the past, and I quite liked it then, but I've heard that the current release isn't that good. Can anyone shed some light on Version 7 the Iberian campaign?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress Barbarian Invasion can be frustrating sometimes. On one hand, I love the time period, and barely any mods cover it. On the other hand, I loving hate how the Emergent factions are all given super gold chevron troopers the moment they revolt. Playing as the Saxons is a pain in the rear end when the Romano British suddenly appear on your front door with a goddamn doomstack that you have absolutely no chance of defeating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Just pulled a random tiny update for Shogun 2. Any idea what it is?

Probably the new Total War launcher for steam games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Medieval 2 was powergaming the Pope via assassination and blackmailing other catholics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tomn posted:

It's a really bizarre design decision that probably sounded cooler on paper.

Yeah, but I don't think Theoden would have told the Rohirrim to ride for ruin and the world's ending while trying to be heard over the sound of six thousand rampaging horses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SquadronROE posted:

World War 1: Total War.

Medieval naval battles were basically: ram into the other dude and board, right? Same as Shogun?

Depends on when exactly you are setting your Naval Battles. Elizabethan Era Naval Warfare was conducted with early cannon ships.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not exactly. The Games Workshop license has been tossed out to a number of different developers now. Creative Assembly got the Fantasy Battle rights, Space Hulk went to the guys who are making Space Hulk, there's an FPS Deathwing being developed, and there's Blood Bowl.

As for Relic, I hope they still have the rights to Dawn of War. I want to see the customizable armies they had proposed for DOW3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've decided to finally blitz my way through the end of my Uesugi campaign. I'm looking for some advice however. I have a reserve army defending a city while Kenshin goes on the offensive. What sort of composition should it be made of? Most of my elite units are in the offensive army, with only a handful of samurai and a boatload of ashigaru forces garrisoned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Post realm divide, hard difficulty, two offensive armies. Town is Omi, level one defenses because the clan I took it from were idiots. Kenshin is currently housed in Omi with the offensive army replenishing after a failed attack on Kyoto. The second army has just taken Wakasa province from the Ikko Ikki. Everything to the east except for the four rearmost provinces belongs to me. Once Kenshin's army is replenished, I'm going to attack Kyoto again, but i want a strong defending force to hold Omi in case the Mogami attack while I'm besieging the capital.

One province east of Omi (forgot the name) has a Warrior Monk build, with archer monks and naginata monks. Currently, I'm researching the Cavalry Hero branch in Bushido, and my projected income is around 4500 per turn.

EDIT. NOt that it matters, apparently. Whenever I end my turn I'm getting a lovely CTD. So gently caress, there goes another campaign.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 1, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Koramei posted:

This artillery mod is probably the only thing that's sorta essential. Oh and this means you might occasionally actually see gatling towers and stuff. The bayonet mod is supposed to be good too but I've never used it.

Oh that makes more sense, I thought the reserve army was for defending the entire rest of your territory for some reason. :keke: Well, assuming you get the save working again (try reloading an earlier one?)... don't defend Omi. If Kenshin is only going to be going as far as Kyoto for the time being, he can easily just walk back to Omi if there's trouble, it's like, 1.5 turns away at most? Use that second force to push downwards.

And in regards to unit composition, monks. You're the Uesugi. With 4.5k a turn after realm divide you can easily afford them. A couple of bow monks in every army will nullify enemy archers for the rest of the game. Naginatas will trivialize siege defences. Marathon monks will massively increase the surviveability in every situation.

Sadly, I think the save has gone kaput. Thanks for the info though, I applied a similar defensive strategy in my new Date campaign. Bow monks make a mockery of samurai units, even if they aren't the Uesugi super monks. Plus the Date's focus on No-Dachi and Katana samurai gave me a really strong offense from the start.

I had a great opening bout with the Oda. I allied with the Ashina and Takeda, who formed a bulwark between me and the Oda super empire. While the Takeda tore into the Oda's ground forces, I began a naval campaign, hunting down their fleets and keeping the trade lanes open. I took Sado and Noto, giving me a way around the Oda and a warpath against the Hatakeyama.

I also might have blown up the Black Ship by accident with a bomb koboya.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, since CA customer support is about as useful as trying diplomacy in Empire, I thought I'd ask you guys for some performance support. How many cores does Shogun 2 use? How much RAM? It seems that Shogun 2 is only using my VRAM on my GPU and none of my regular ram for other purposes. It's frustrating, because it's only using 2 gigs or RAM when I have 8.

Additionally, I'm trying to find ways of emulating the visual style of Shogun 2 from before Fall of the Samurai. I bought the gold pack, so I wasn't initially aware that there had been a tweak of the visuals for FOTS. The game I'm playing looks awfully washed out and flat, while the older videos I've seen of Pre FOTS have all this glossy shine on them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 14, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shalcar posted:

As for the tweak to the visuals after FOTS, I am totally unaware that any took place! My game still has the bright and vibrant colours it always had and this is evidenced in my LP. I just checked my pre LP test videos from the month before Fall released and my current ones and they look the same to me, so I can't help you there. Various post-processing effects have differing impacts on the colour and rendition of units, so it's possible that your graphics settings are the culprit, although I accept that's a bit of a cop-out answer. Do you have any screenshots comparing the two so I can diagnose further?

I don't have any screenies on hand, but I did find a comparison of images on the Total War forums.
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/35947-Confirmed-Blood-decals-on-armor-gloss-effects-missing-after-FOTS-patch

Check out the comparison in the post by Jinx1337. The person created a backup of Shogun 2 before FOTS came out and showed the difference in the gloss and shine on the units.

Standard FOTS with everything maxed.

Standard Shogun 2 with everything maxed.

Shogun 2 with everything maxed plus 4XSSAA.

There is a noticeable difference in the way light is cast across armor pieces, and I really like the shiny stuff better. So far my only solution has been checking out Total War Center and looking at their visual mods. I found one that emulates the glossy style of pre FOTS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shalcar posted:

Sounds like you have a solution then. It looks like it's handling the HDR differently, but I don't have my copy of shogun 2 handy to contrast and compare.

Does the "pre-RotS" graphics mod explain what it actually does or is it the standard boilerplate TWC "Does thing" non-explanation?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...TED-amp-UPDATED

It's your usual bare bones explanation from TWC. At least it has been working for me so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shogun 2 may just be the most "fun" version of Total War that I've played. My personal favorite still goes to Medieval 2 and Kingdoms (for the wackiness and massive in-depth family system). But with Shogun 2, it's easily the quickest to pick up and play, it's the only game on the Warscape engine where the combat doesn't look like poo poo, and it's definitely the bloodiest game, even without the blood pack. I like the suicidal nature of combat in Sengoku japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is it the consensus that the Radious Mod for Shogun 2 is worthwhile? I'm getting sick of the bullshit that vanilla pulls to give the AI a chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The annoying crap where the AI can seemingly pull a giant stack of samurai out of its rear end after I've been waging a major war of attrition and consecutively beat back three of their armies. And they only own two provinces. loving Takeda spam. Or how your army has an immediate hard counter the moment you encounter a new clan. Oh, you're specializing in Spear infantry off the start to get some naginata units? Well screw you, here's a load of bomb throwers and katanas to fight by turn 10.

Since I finished my Date campaign, I decided to take another swing at the Uesgugi on Hard difficulty. Made a focused effort to wipe out the Takeda before they become enormous as they usually do in my campaigns. Once I make an uneasy alliance with the Jimbo and kill Shingen, I take North Shinano, only to see another full stack of Yari Ashigaru and Samurai marching my way. The Takeda never took anything more than North Shinano, and I'd just defeated their main army which was already a full stack. I get that there needs to be some challenge, but I'd like it if I break the back of a nation in one battle and not have to fight an immediate second super army the moment the turn ends.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 25, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shalcar posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo dude.

Even if the AI was completely random about its priorities, it's incredibly likely that one clan is going to be going heavy on the units that counter yours if you are rushing. This would make you an incredibly tempting target for reasons that should be obvious. Your complaint can literally only be solved by having the AI know what you are doing and then specifically building units which are not strong against yours.

You got this save you can post?

Nope. I've given up on three separate starts with the Uesugi. My most recent one ended with the Oda swarming over my one army after the Honma managed to sink the invasion force heading for Sado.

Today has just been a really bad day for my gaming. Failure after failure in any game I play.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 25, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shalcar posted:

What difficulty level are you playing on?

Hard. I edited my above post to explain a little better. I'm trying to head off a Takeda war machine early, so I've been putting a heavy effort into attacking Shingen's army with ambushes and playing cat and mouse across Shinano. But even if the Takeda only hold N. Shinano and Kai, they still have enough resources to make a doom stack the moment I knock out Shingen's giant force of light cavalry and ashigaru.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, round four with the Uesugi. This time, I baited the Takeda doomstack into an assault against the Yamanouichi, so our combined forces would take them on. The Yamanouichi had some experienced units after soloing both the Satomi and Hojo doomstacks (while my reinforcements were on the other side of the battle map), so while they were beat up, they lasted a lot longer than i expect AI allies to.

So, with the Takeda doomstack dealt with, I send two more Yari Samurai to replace my losses, and Kenshin is currently waiting in ambush along the road into North Shinano. Meanwhile, up at Echigo, Masakage beat back the Jinbo's pathetic siege assault. I've got four Bow Kobayas waiting to take his army to Sado the moment I can build up a decent garrison for Echigo. The Honma landed and wiped out the Mogami, but so far, they're just ignoring me. Plus, if their army landed on the mainland, then Sado is pretty much undefended. If I move fast, I should be able to take the settlement, and then use the extra money to finance better defenses for Echigo.

So far, so good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm getting a hankering for another Medieval 2 Total War playthrough. (Finally kicked the poo poo out of that Uesugi campaign). I'm debating playing with Stainless Steel or Broken Crescent, or maybe giving Call of Warhammer a spin. Which one manages to keep things together without bogging you down with unnecessary busywork the most?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good late game Ashigaru strategies? In the early game, I usually use them similar to Greek Hoplites or Scottish Pike Walls, but as bow samurai start appearing, I tend to focus more on Yari Samurai for their speed and endurance. How would you suggets I use them in the late matches where it feels like everything can carve them up?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been playing around with Venice and having a blast doing pseudo Pike and Shot armies. If we ever get a Medieval 3, I would love to see something akin to the Late Medieval/Early Renaissance armies of Swiss Pikes and German Landwhatevers.

Its too bad that Rome 2 music mod doesn't have the combat triggers for different music. I thought Shogun 2 had the music triggers. Perhaps only games where Jeff Van Dyck composed ever bothered to do that. The Empire/Napoleon/Rome 2 composer is poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been watching DiplexHeated's Call of Warhammer mod playthrough, and I can't help but notice that the horse models look much better than the vanilla models. I did a google search, but I can't find any individual models I could mod into my game. I don't feel like playing a mod that makes three hour long battles, but I like the horsies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stainless Steel is modular, right? So if I wanted to play it just with the bigger map, new factions and units, but without the stupid ten hour long battles in useless scripting, I could turn it off, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would kill for a new Kingdoms style expansion. Just have various campaigns focused on certain regions and eras. Reconquista battling for Spain would be kickass.