Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hello thread. Chess has become my latest "obsessive interest that will probably last a few weeks or months before I move on". I last played seriously at school when I was like 14 or something. If anyone wants to play some correspondence games on chess.com my username is Maugrimmau.

For level, I can beat the 1500-rated bot some of the time but I am prone to lapses in concentration and dumb mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Fair

I'd not heard of the London system so I'm looking at that. Openings tend to slip out of my head like water though. I probably need to pick a couple and practice them for a while. Ruy Lopez was my standard back in the day and I didn't even remember it was called that.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Control Volume posted:

The traxler is a statement

Excellent avatar/post combo

And thanks, it's been fun reading about all these weird lines I didn't know existed

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
These are useful recs thanks, I’ve been working my way through Jerry’s beginner to chess master series but lost patience and skipped through the four videos in a row on rook vs pawn endings as I figure there are larger deficiencies in my game that are more important to correct. The ones on pawn structure and tactics have been super enlightening though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

El Spamo posted:

Sent you a game challenge, I'm... ok at the game. I tend not to hang pieces quite so much anymore.

Nice, I didn't know who it was but I accepted anyway :) I've been losing every single game to dumb mistakes so far, so you're in with a good chance :classiclol:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It is a lovely puzzle. I think the chess.com built-in version of stockfish is a few years older than current? Some youtuber mentioned that in one of the videos I watched I think.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I guess it's a matter of what you're used to because yeah that's very hard to parse for me.

Tbh at this point I'd probably struggle with a real life chessboard too

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh hey, turns out Elo ratings change depending on the strength of the player pool. I was a bit baffled that I was consistently getting tough matches against 1100s when I'm pretty sure I used to play at around 1300-1400 when I was at school 25 years ago. Apparently this is a known thing because everyone has access to computer analysis and endless free learning tools nowadays.

Feels similar to how small stakes poker has been getting harder, though I'm not sure it's for quite the same reasons.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Man, Daniel Naroditsky is so drat good at explaining stuff. Levy (GothamChess) is entertaining but I feel like he doesn't explain his thought process as well and often moves too fast for me to follow so watching his videos doesn't do much to improve my game. On the other hand I've watched maybe three or four of Daniel's videos and felt my mind expanding each time. Just me?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

dhamster posted:

I played QB6 to defend c6 and potentially attack B2. The engine recommended I play h5 instead. Is that because the engine expected me to long castle? When does it make sense to push a rook's pawn forward, in general? I see it suggested sometimes but I don't always understand why it makes sense at a particular moment..

Looking at it now, I could have also played Ne7 to defend c6, but that would have cut off my dark squared bishop for a little while.

e: I also didn't see that my bishop was about to be boxed in. Is this just to keep him from playing g4?

I'm not the strongest player but I think it's to avoid exactly the move the computer is now recommending for your opponent, g5. Your light square bishop is by far your strongest piece, very active on a long diagonal, unopposed by any enemy bishop, and you have the bishop pair advantage. Once g5 is played you lose all that, no matter where you move the bishop it will at best be exchanged for a knight and you'll damage your pawn structure into the bargain. The computer might think avoiding that is worth the loss of a backward pawn after which you can chase the knight away while developing a piece with tempo.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If I'm reading that right doesn't the sequence end up trading your two rooks and knight for queen, pawn and knight? A good exchange for you since you're already up material, but not what I understand by the phrase "wins me a queen and knight".

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

VROOM VROOM posted:

What up choons

Getting into the game and I am slowly getting over playing-against-humans anxiety while getting some basics under my belt. First game ever was at 4AM and I resigned immediately after blundering my queen in the midgame (because it was 4AM and my brain literally did not register my opponent moving their rook to attack it, so I decided it was bedtime), second game I was losing slightly until I made what should have been a game-losing move that actually baited them into taking a hanging bishop of mine, allowing my two rooks+queen to check to victory, and the third game I played an extremely boring and conservative London and just counted my defenders to avoid hanging pieces while throwing in a splash of "move pieces close to the enemy king to stress them out", which as it turns out allows you to stomp a 640 into the dirt. I love that I missed the king+rook bishop fork and then them moving their pawn let me notice the queen+rook fork with the same bishop that was also staring me in the face :v:

Only 2 more games before I get an actual rating!

e: lol I was thinking about setting up a cheap bishop+queen attack and then the instant they castled I threw my knight down the board towards the king's new position

Welcome to the world of chess! Looks like you're making nice progress, did you already know the basics (moves etc) or have you literally just learnt from scratch? I totally get playing-humans anxiety and it sucks because there are so many games I love that just aren't the same against bots.

That queen + rook tactic is a skewer not a fork, but I suspect that was just a typo.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That must have been satisfying. Did he resign after you took his queen?

My daily games are going pretty well at the moment, 5 wins and a draw from the last 6 and my current three are going tolerably well. Watching lots of Naroditsky and trying to decide on a couple of openings to study. I think I quite like queen's gambit with white but people keep going all King's Indian on me instead of nicely pushing d5.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So I've been back playing and learning chess for a month and a half now and I still don't get the thread title, what's PIPI

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Artelier posted:

Progression continues, here's a three move "puzzle" from one of my games, black to move.

1. Bxc2 Ka2 or Kh1 2. Bc1#? Wait no that doesn't work because of 2 ... Ba2

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 4, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Someone playing a suicide chess game on their other monitor and got them mixed up?

Or they wildly overvalue the two bishop advantage.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Or they saw you were playing the London and assumed you'd premove Nf3 and they could grab a free bishop :shrug:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I can't help noticing in both the games you posted (BUGJUG) you are playing ten minute games but using 2 minutes or less of your actual time. You might as well be playing bullet which is not a great training tool for a beginner. You need practice actually thinking through your moves. E.g. in the winning game you had an extremely obvious mate in one with the queen and bishop battery but decided to bring the rook in to help?? Sure anything wins but you had eight minutes in hand to plan your finisher...

I highly recommend playing daily games and putting real thought into each move. The analysis board will help you work out complicated lines although obviously it's better if you can have a go at them in your head first. It's hard at first but gets easier and faster. And I'm not just saying that because daily games are all I can play due to the demands of parenting :(

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 8, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jesus WEP posted:

here is my favourite daily game i ever played

*extremely eric rosen voice* oh no my bishop

lol

I only have 29 finished games and nothing funny to post from them but here's a "spot the optimal move" that I missed at the time -

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Artelier posted:

Pretty sure this is
1 Qf8 .. Bf8
2 Rd8

Pretty sure I might miss this in a game, especially if there's low time, but presented as a puzzle like I'm pretty confident.

Yep! It was a daily game so I had no excuse other than my brain immediately fritzing on the queen sac. Still won it a few moves later.

Magnetic North posted:

As a sub-begginner, I didn't understand this. I put it into the lichess game replay thingie, and on its own, it helpfully marked the second to last move as gxh4?? and pointed out 'please sire, consider nf6". For whatever reason, the fact that the browser can do that on its own amazes me.

It's because one of the strongest chess-playing programs in the world, Stockfish, is open source and can be easily embedded in a website. Modern tech is great!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

D34THROW posted:

I believe personally that if I didnt get easily distracted, i would play at a higher elo. I need two hands to count the number of times I thought I had a queen mate in the bag only to have missed something.

Also, I value knights slightly more than bishops. Neither can mate by themselves but I use knights more strategically than bishops in most cases. Only disadvantage is you can't use them for a pin.

The other advantage bishops have over knights is they are long range - they can threaten the other end of the board and travel there in a single move. Personally I tend to value them very slightly higher than knights in general, but the value of a specific piece depends to a huge extent on its activity. If I have a bad bishop that's blocked in by its own pawns I'm super happy to exchange it for an enemy knight that's parked in the centre of the board threatening all sorts of different tactics.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I don't mind if you edit the OP or start a new thread, but I did notice when looking for a chess thread to post in that the series discussing current tournaments over in (I think) SAS petered out years ago. Maybe best to roll tournament discussion into this one since it's not super busy?

To be honest I don't really know where/how to follow competitive chess anyway.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I had not seen or heard of an epaulette mate but it's very pretty! Clearly need to study my mating patterns.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah, it's a perfect name especially when the pieces are rooks. And I guess they mostly tend to be rooks as knights could take the queen and bishops or a queen could block, unless pinned by a rook of your own.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

VictualSquid posted:

If you actually follow the "don't hang free pieces, take free pieces" rule reliably that alone should get you to over 1500. Even just "don't hang your queen, take free queen" might be enough to get close.

This is surely an exaggeration - opponents at my current (~1200) level almost never just hang pieces in my experience. Maybe it's different in rapid though I dunno

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

VictualSquid posted:

yes, I was thinking about lichess. 1500 is the median rating on lichess, iirc on chess.com it is around 1200.
But, aman is playing blitz in his videos. Where I do stand by my statement as written.

That's fair then, I actually thought your post was a response to BUGJUG who plays rapid games. And I only play daily games. Very different scenarios

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

"Circling the drain"

1.Nd6+ Kd7 (c pawn is pinned!)
2. Qxc7+ Ke6
3. Qe7+ Kd5
4. R1b5+ Kc6
5. Qc7#

I definitely wouldn't feel confident about a forced mate that long!

Nd6+ doesn't work because rook can take. I think it's -

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

VictualSquid posted:

You know how those lichess puzzles get extracted from real games?

Toady I learned about what the opening explorer calls "french defence: normal variation"
https://lichess.org/training/5kgCH

"Le Bongcloud"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Are spite timeouts a thing? Started an under-1400s tournament and reached this position with one of my opponents whereupon they vanished. Games are 5 days per move and they have half an hour left.

I mean I'll take the W but I was having fun trying to work out how to extract my queen after ... Ke7 Qxh8 Ne8 - I believe it's doable but there's a lot of lines to think through.

E: should maybe post the image, duh

E2: they actually timed out on all their games so I guess they just quit playing

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 19, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Powered Descent posted:

Why wouldn't black just do ...Qd8 and not lose their rook?

Because then they quickly lose the b7 and b5 pawns for no gain, whereas letting me grab their other rook could potentially lead to them winning my queen (or whatever pieces I had to sacrifice to free her). I was trying to evaluate whether the queen trap line worked out better for them in the end.

E: Probably dumb of me to even consider it - the engine thinks Ke7 is just a straight-up blunder and Qd8 is indeed the right move

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 19, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

Why wouldn't black answer Qxb7 with b4? Only one lost pawn and even then not really as b7 was only decoration.

Mmm true. I think I did see that at the time. I'd probably still have gone Qxb7 if the trade was offered, which I guess is why I'm only a 1200 :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Playing in a <1400 daily tournament with 5-day move timers and I noticed there was one guy in our group who was playing super slowly, waiting nearly the full timer to make each move. Not just against me, none of his games are even half completed yet. Out of idle curiosity I checked his profile and he has 738 correspondence chess games on the go right now. 738. It's his move right now in over 600 of them. :psyduck:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jesus WEP posted:

is there a term for the dick move where your opponent is clearly losing so they just walk away from the board and make you wait for the timer to expire? gently caress people who do this

There's a guy doing basically this to me in the same tourney I mentioned, it's been forced mate for about two weeks and he keeps waiting the full 5 days before making his moves and offering me draws as often as he's allowed.

Spite flagging

Splagging

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah all the experts I watch say do like 10 puzzles a day max but think through the lines as thoroughly as you can manage, even if it takes you like 20 mins to solve one that way. If your brain is hurting you're learning! :v:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
On the other hand I once had my first puzzle in Puzzle Rush be a decidedly nontrivial win-material-in-3, supposedly rated 173. That was not a successful puzzle rush session.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This is a cool post, grats on your wins. What tourney is this?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I really miss playing OTB, haven't done it since I was a teenager. Sometimes when I'm visiting my mum I get one of my old sets out and tool around setting up and exploring positions from my chess.com daily games, but it's not quite the thing.

Give it a couple of years and one of my kids might be old enough to start learning, but the other one will still want to just chuck the pieces around..

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jesus WEP posted:

the caro can’t

lmao

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Hand Knit posted:

Is the plan still to start a new thread with the World Championship? That starts this week.

I think it would be nice - having an up to date OP and a roll call of currently active players and where they tend to play. Maybe put a queen's gambit reference in the thread title, that show attracted a lot of new players, or at least people like me who used to play at school and then lapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think a new thread for the World Championship would be fun. Unless it is flooded with people saying Nepo is a fraud because he played Nc6 while they ran stockfish for eight minutes at depth 40 and it showed Kh1 was 0.13 pawns better.

God I hate chess.com or chess24 comments on live matches.

I don't want to brag but I'm 1300 and I saw Kh1 immediately :smuggo: