Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love GMs that play a bunch of weird openings just to try and confuse the opponent into making a mistake or burning time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

got my first ever "brilliant" move in a chess.com analysis and managed to get two in the same game. I'm not quite sure I understand why they're brilliant, but I'll take it!!

Post them and let's find out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

qsvui posted:

I don't even know what that means.

That's the problem with today's players, they don't appreciate the great works of the (checks notes) 16th century.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chess.com was hyper toxic when I played regularly.

I remember using the London System for a while which drew a lot of ire. But then I stopped when I was playing people that could handle it.

So the solution, it seems, was for them to ahh "get good" it seems?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bet you thought "hah I have forked you now!!" And then wondered why the game ended.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

don’t forget to learn some endgames. if you don’t know how to force checkmate with king and pieces v king, and you don’t know basic pawn pushing stuff then you’re in for a rough time actually converting anything to a win

Also when you see a middlegame and go, 'i'd win this endgame', and you take all the pieces off the board that feels dope as hell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

new general rule of thumb is: don't let randoms have takebacks. Had a decent game today, someone requested a takeback, I said sure, I'm in a good mood. Later on my finger slips causing an obvious blunder, and the rando wouldn't let me get the takeback, instead choosing to taunt me.

Never again.

Zwabu posted:

How does White win a pawn, and the game, by force?

Ka5. The important elements are that the staggered pawn formation means that the d4 and d5 squares are a force field that Black's king may never enter. The only legal pawn move is g5 which loses that pawn. So with Ka5 Black's king must abandon the defense of the c pawn after which he may never return to it, or yield the g pawn. White will promote on either the c or g file and win the game. So after Ka5 Black is in zugzwang, where the compulsion to move forces him into a losing position, a very common idea in endings.

Of note, in the actual game I made a bad move instead of Ka5. I moved g3 instead which allows Black to draw with ...Kb6, after which White's king must give way and no headway can be made (now White is the one who must sacrifice the g pawn with the only legal pawn move). But Black didn't find that move and I wound up winning anyway.

I made the bad move because I was fixated on the idea of locking up the pawns on the g and h files so that Black would lose material with advance of the g pawn. But, aside from my not fully seeing the situation with Black being able to regain position with ...Kbg6, I should have considered that g3 was a move I could have held in reserve since Black's h pawn was locked up anyway and g5 was Black's only legal pawn move with or without my pawn move.

I felt like Magnus Carlsen seeing this instantly. God I gotta get studying Sillman again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fisting by many posted:

me after winning: Well, that was a solid game by me. My plan of attack worked perfectly, I maintained pressure throughout the entire game, and my victory was inevitable.
evaluation: You were trailing by 9 pawns until your opponent gave you mate in 3. Here's the one move that would have destroyed your position at any time.

I loving love this poo poo.

I have played I think, maybe 1 good game of chess in my life.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fired up Chess.com for the first time in a year and i'm like hell yeah I'm clowning these fools god I'm good.

Then I checked my rating and realize that they moved 10 minute into Rapid and my Rapid rating sucks rear end so I'm playing scrubs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

The World Cup is down to the quarter finals now. A lot of the top seeds are out, with only Carlsen and Karjakin of the top 10 remaining. QF matches are Carlsen-Bacrot, Vidit-Duda, Tabatabaei-Fedoseev, and Shankland-Karjakin. Tabatabaei, a recent world junior champion, stands out as the lowest rated of those remaining.

Also, Giri is the guest host for commentary today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBDJfWty44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-wuvGQaDg

Esipenko seems really good.

fart simpson posted:

what’s your rapid rating

400 lower than my blitz rating, which for poo poo tier chess is quite a difference.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat that game last night seemed SWAG as hell from Magnus. Unbalanced positions are fun and cool imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aggro posted:

Speaking of puzzles, I finally broke 2000 on chess.com after hovering in the 1800/1900s for like six months

Congrats!

I got to the (for me) astounding high of 1800 recently, It's funny how you just get stuck at a plateau for months and then 'break through' when everything clicks. And then correlates that when you're not hanging pieces anymore you can focus more on the strategic long term planning. But also, you know what a good move is so you automatically make better moves to begin with so shaping the strategy becomes easier too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of chess on YouTube I caught myself saying "gimme" Jan Gustafsson style when I took a pawn the other day so I guess I learned something from watching Jan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Practice endgames, please, I beg you.

Black to move and I blundered it away under timer pressure with ...f3??

edit: in my defense, in the first image I got a lot of the concepts right which got me to the second image which is something I guess?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

A real gangster just copies pgn to lichess.

This but purchased version of Komodo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Carbolic posted:

Welcome to the club, friend!

"No one is good at chess"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maugrim posted:

I don't mind if you edit the OP or start a new thread, but I did notice when looking for a chess thread to post in that the series discussing current tournaments over in (I think) SAS petered out years ago. Maybe best to roll tournament discussion into this one since it's not super busy?

To be honest I don't really know where/how to follow competitive chess anyway.

There are usually candidates/title threads that's about it. I made one where I made every chess player a cowboy, I'm not entirely sure it worked but I tried.

Hand Knit posted:

In other news, I kinda wonder if it's time for a new thread. The OP of the thread is... more than a little bit out of date.

9 years old... seems fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maugrim posted:

Nd6+ doesn't work because rook can take. I think it's -

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

Rook can't take because

Nd6+ Rxd6
Qxc7#

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

i win at bullet posting

This is why I play 10min posting!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Make it Cowboy themed again.

Also make some joke relating to Draws. More Draws than a octopuses' bedside table. Idk I'm riffing here, punch it up a little.