Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Bonnouji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Prunus Girl is a pretty fun little manga that doesn't take itself too seriously. The premise is self-explanatory from the page :)

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Crimsons! Akai koukaishatachi

A standard shounen manga of burning passion and an epic hero's journey theme with fish. Fish? Fish.

Gallop

Daily life of a centaur salaryman. I don't even know.

Boku wa Ookami/I am the only wolf

Shoujo manga. Mysterious transfer student was raised by wolves.

Saint Young Men

Jesus and Buddha living as roommates in modern day Japan. Owns owns owns.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hope no one minds me quoting these a page late? Wanted to refer to specific ones and figured they deserve to be shown off again. I'll edit if it's a problem.

Marin Karin posted:

Otoyomegatari
The subject matter looks extremely boring, but that art is gorgeous.

That looks so much like Rurouni Kenshin to me. I was trying to Google it - I'm assuming "Ichi the Killer" is a different thing?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I was trying to Google it - I'm assuming "Ichi the Killer" is a different thing?

Ichi the Killer is an INCREDIBLY different thing than whatever that is.

It's worth noting that the word Ichi is 'number one' so as you might imagine it gets a lot of use.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I've only ever seen one anime spell it out quite so clearly.

Akumetsu

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Akumetsu was really cool (and very beautiful) so it sucks hard how out and out terrible Wolfguy got.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VagueRant posted:

Uhm nope sorry Otoyomegatari has more tension in a single chapter than most mangas have in twenty.

Rakugoon fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 19, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Otoyomegatari was a welcome surprise after Emma, but I can honestly say I've more or less been plugging my ears and closing my eyes waiting for more and more of it to build up. Following a manga month to month is torturous.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Man, the detail in those Otoyomegatari panels is insane. What is it actually about?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Doflamingo posted:

Man, the detail in those Otoyomegatari panels is insane. What is it actually about?

It's about daily life in a Central Asian tribal village in the mid 19th century. It's very interesting and quite well drawn, but it has a calm and relaxed pacing for the most part, so don't go in expecting some kind of sweeping epic of war or anything.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

VagueRant posted:

That looks so much like Rurouni Kenshin to me. I was trying to Google it - I'm assuming "Ichi the Killer" is a different thing?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ichi

This looks like it might be the right thing, if it helps any. Might give it a go myself.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Nope, Otoyomegatari rules fullstop. It's the story of romance in central Asian Islamic tribes. It's also one of the most beautiful manga ever, it's on Berserk levels of art detail if not more.

Here's the ADTRW Thread

And as a bonus, here's a series of videos of the author showing her art process for panels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ichi

This looks like it might be the right thing, if it helps any. Might give it a go myself.

It went down the standard path of cramming in the shinsengumi for no real reason but to show how much better the protagonist is than everyone else. Kind of lovely, really.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Crimsons! Akai koukaishatachi

A standard shounen manga of burning passion and an epic hero's journey theme with fish. Fish? Fish.

Gallop

Daily life of a centaur salaryman. I don't even know.

Boku wa Ookami/I am the only wolf

Shoujo manga. Mysterious transfer student was raised by wolves.

Saint Young Men

Jesus and Buddha living as roommates in modern day Japan. Owns owns owns.

At first I found it very uninspired. You'd think they would be doing more to help ease the suffering of man kind but I guess they are taking a vacation? For enlightened ones they act kind of idiotic but when Jesus mentioned they barely have any food for themselves, let alone to be feeding cats, and the cat came up with a matchbox in his mouth as a self bbq sacrifice I lost it.

Daniel Lau
Dec 19, 2009
Boys on the Run

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Kengo Hanazawa is like a goon philosopher.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Marin Karin posted:

Ressentiment

Forgot about ressentiment! It is an amazing manga about a loser in a world where everything is ugly (including him) and he uses VR to escape reality (irony?). The concept (that all games are merged into a single world) is really cool, you get the AI girl lovers who live like kings in a fake bubble and at the same time you have the RPG/FPS/brawl players who want to see the world burn and have done so in the past. I have to checkout if translation has finished.

I love short single chapter mangas. They require very little commitment and you get lots of enjoyment out of them. Here are some of my favorite:

Island

Urooboe Uroboros

Stray Dog (by the same author as Fullmetal Alchemist)

Madofuki Park

They are all one chapter long. Go read!

edit: How do I get the images in thumbnail and expandable? Thanks to a kitten for telling me how.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 22, 2012

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Green Blood

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Golgo 13

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I think I am a Hero was made purely with these kinds of threads in mind

Vesi fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 21, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer aka Hoshi no Samidare

oh inkoman

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zorak, you can do better than that. People would just think "What? Some kind of superhero? Or monster manga? Eh~"

Now that's what we're talking about! This image, I think, sums up LBH totally.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was looking to find the perfect image for that manga and found out that most of my favorite scenes covered multiple pages: Sami showing up on the wrong side of the river and hucking a car at a golem; the reveal of Blues Drive Monster; everybody sneaking a peek at the Magical Mary figurine; many, many more.

Then I just ended up re-reading a big chunk of it.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
reads Left to Right since it's a scan from the flipped Perfect Collection

That bottom panel is seriously one of my favorite in any comic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Now that's what we're talking about! This image, I think, sums up LBH totally.

It also spoils the one of the best moments while saying very little of the general feel :colbert:

People freaking out over something completely weird and insane and wanting to beat it up is kind of my take on the general feel of the manga.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Zatoichi is a pretty popular series of Japanese films (going back to the 80s, iirc) about a blind swordsman who carries a sword hidden in a cane wandering the land and fixing people's problems. They recently made a version with a blind canesword wielding woman, too. Just from reading the description for that Ichi manga, the series must be related somehow.

edit: Just googled it and the first film was actually created in 1962. so i'm wrong about things

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 22, 2012

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It's three images, but.... Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

It's... uhhh... a pretty interesting manwha.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Angel Densetsu
http://imgur.com/kuXlB

img tags don't seem to be working for me. I can figure that out later.

It's impossible to find a single good image of this thing, all the best jokes/action shots seem to be in pairs.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kokou no Hito

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

This manga went waaaaaaay off the rails from what this image shows.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In the sense that it gets exponentially better when it shrugs off the shounen pretensions and becomes it's own thing, yeah. :v:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Battle Angel Alita and the sequel Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, have the best drawn action sequences I've ever seen in a manga:

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Megumi no Daigo

It's only the best manga about firefighters.

I think the whole series has been licensed, you can find it on Amazon

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ask Me For Warez posted:

This manga went waaaaaaay off the rails from what this image shows.

Yeah the erotic mountaineering in the latest volume was uhhhhh something? The artist sure is good at drawing male physique!

-

6000, a pretty interesting psychological thriller/horror piece.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

6000, a pretty interesting psychological thriller/horror piece.

Keep in mind the story is about a submarine (as in, below-water, not A submarine) research station when you look at that picture above.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Hanaotoko

The Music of Marie

Dorohedoro

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

I have some how put off reading berserk for years, and this made me decide to start reading it yesterday.

100 Chapters later and HOLY gently caress. Why? WHY!?! Why have I not read this up until now? I don't think I could stop reading this if I wanted to! Griffith has just been reborn as the demon king and Guts and Casca were saved by the skull knight.
Its just brilliant. Its badass, intriguing, well illustrated, heart warming, soul crushing, uplifting, astounding and disgusting. Mostly all at the same time. I am dreading getting up to date, because having to wait for new releases of this will be a special kind of hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Read a chapter once a week and you'll finish by the time the series does if you get lucky

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nononono

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's probably what I'd be thinking if I were him. :v:

• Locked thread