Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009
One tip that you might want to do is to reassign spot from left alt to T. Spotting is incredibly important, and you want to spot anyone coming for your flag or your flag's defenders. You can still use the chat by ~, or teamchat with Y.

HiRez gets a lot of crap from us for bad design decisions, and you'll often see fans criticize these things which seem to make not a bit of sense. Regardless of how often they make decisions that make no sense from a player perspective, they do listen to their players. They almost always have 1-3 people hanging out in the #ascend irc channel on irc.tribalwar.com, additionally you'll often get responses about gamebalance issues from @HiRezBart on Twitter. Whatever else you can say about HiRez, the game has certainly gotten better.

The tribes goons irc channel is #tribesgoons on irc.synirc.org.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There was a boost evaluation made by a player named Distractobot (not a goon) when the average xp/gold rate was 144.82 back in February during the open beta.
code:
Booster                        Gold Cost     XP To Break Even       …Per Day  
1 Day XP Booster            240                 34757                        34757
3 Day XP Booster            400                 57928                        19309
10 Day XP Booster          640                 92685                          9268
30 Day XP Booster        1200               173784                          5793
90 Day XP Booster        2400               347568                          3862

The current (non daily deal) xp/gold rate is closer to 175 since the June 22 update. Assuming that, here's the current breakdown.
code:
1 Day XP Booster            240                 42000                        42000
3 Day XP Booster            400                 70000                        23333
10 Day XP Booster          640               112000                        11200
30 Day XP Booster        1200               210000                          7000
90 Day XP Booster        2400               420000                          4667
The XP gain rate is in the first post, but before boost, it is 2200/hour assuming you win 50% of the time and come in 8th on your team. With VIP and boost it becomes 6600/hour. The first win of the day is regularly 1200 XP, but with VIP and boost it is 3600 XP. Badges are normally worth 500, 1000, 2000, or 3000 depending on rank, but they are affected by VIP and boost, so badge hunting can shorten the time to break even on boosters as well.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
By the way, if you use the referral link that Hanks Lust Cafe provides in the first post, you and he both get 5000 XP upon you reaching rank 6. At 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, etc. total referrals he would also get some gold rewards but it's mostly the 5000 XP for each of you. It's really worth using a referral if you can.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sketh posted:

Is the balance really as bad as is being made out in the higher rank matches? I'm not particularly interested in the competitive side, as long as it remains viable to keep playing with the lighter classes. I did notice in one of the games that the chain gun tended to shred me if I got too close.

Sort of, the game is balanced for CTF, so if you aren't playing CTF then the game will not be well balanced between the classes. If you are, then every class has a role in non-competitive play. The technician and brute are the classes that don't see much competitive play use.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twenty Four posted:

In the CTF section it refers to all offense and defense as "light" offense or "light" defense. At least from back in T1, I was always under the impression that the "light" part refered to your armor type. As in, an Infiltrator would be light offense, while a Raider would be medium offense, and a Juggernaught would be heavy offense (or defense if that is what you are doing). I doubt each needs it's own bullet point, but just calling it offense and defense might be easiest, unless I am wrong about this.
Usually light and medium offense gets put into the same category so it's LO for lights and mediums and HO for heavies. The same is true for LD, it is light or medium armor defense.

Also Hanks, didn't TDM change to 120 lives per team on the last update?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I keep hearing people say the Saber Launcher is poo poo and useless, but I cannot for the life of me avoid the missiles when I'm in a Shrike. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was zooming around and dive bombing with a Shrike when I was on the <8 matches. Now that I'm in the regular matches, there are Doombringers everywhere and I can't even get the Shrike off the ground without getting raped by a hundred missiles.

That's a combination thing. Because the game was just recently released on Steam, a lot of new players don't realize how useless the Saber launcher is. Right now there are a lot of offensive doombringers who sit around waiting for their saber launcher to lock on. You also probably do not yet know how to properly pilot to avoid missiles. If you want practice against a lot of terrible new players who love to stand on hills with a saber launcher, play the air combat servers. They are free shrikes and somehow manage to get populated by 90% terrible players who don't want to play with shrikes.

To avoid missiles though you should stick to about 3m off the ground. Even if you never intentionally dodge missiles you'll avoid a lot just by flying through valleys. Once you get more used to the controls and speed of the missiles you'll get the hang of when to dodge and where to go to hide.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Are you nitron-boosting and discjumping?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Skill progresses pretty quickly but even given that, platinum is better than gold, is better than silver is better than bronze. When it happen early on it is awful since it just seems like some kind of word from on high to kill off the new players. Later on it will be more reasonable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Last time they did a double XP weekend it was double base XP. Everything else was the same formula, but since everything else uses base XP in the formula, bonus, VIP, and boost were doubled as well. The 10 day boost is 640 gold, so you'll be able to afford that one or cheaper ones. Mean XP earned/hour while on 16 v 16 games if you have VIP and Boost during this double XP period is 13200/hour. This is before first win of the day or badges, which go to bonus XP and therefore didn't get doubled last time.

edit: quoting myself to add in the XP needed for boost.

fermun posted:

code:
1 Day XP Booster            240                 42000                        42000
3 Day XP Booster            400                 70000                        23333
10 Day XP Booster          640               112000                        11200
30 Day XP Booster        1200               210000                          7000
90 Day XP Booster        2400               420000                          4667

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Double XP just started.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Tech pilots are a thing because you have a repair tool on hand straight from spawn. On respawn, you can quickly deploy your turret and grab a new shrike, then when it gets damaged and things are calm, you can heal up. I find it's most useful when your team has trouble keeping a generator up, I usually run pathfinder pilot instead as sometimes you'll have your shrike taken out while trying to get the enemy capper, and if that happens, you need thrust and 2 nitrons to stay up with them for the one last shot at making the play. My shrikes die more frequently, but I rarely have a problem getting the kills to afford a new one before my shrike is blown up. The shorter lifespan of my shrikes though means that if the gen gets taken out, I have to switch roles or clear the gen room out just to get a new shrike.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Raider with grenade launcher, whiteouts, looter/survivalist is also one of the best to take out turrets, chasers, snipers, and HoFs. You're an all-around offensive player. For your secondary weapon, you've got a choice of 3 different bullet weapons, the highest damage is the NJ5B, but it's difficult to hit with early, the easiest bullet weapon to learn bullet weapons is the desert NJ4, which has the highest rate of fire so gives the most feedback.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Dagam posted:

Not really. It's the super gently caress-off option for base raiding--people are helplessly knocked around and blinded until they die. But outside with the grenade launcher it would be mediocre at best.

No, grenade launcher is still the best weapon for taking out base assets or dropping on a flag stand and the NJ5B will tear apart any defenders who try to make you stop.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Next you have to learn the wonders of fatty VGCA. UH-HUH.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Rixen posted:

Wait a second I recognize that name now!

You're that dude who was really amazing with the Shrike! You tricky flying bastard, I hate you.

So I joined your team the following match <3.

US West servers, Sunstar? I think you were a bronze rank soldier? I do shrike a lot though, I think it's the most fun thing in the game. Then when I do get blown up I hop out to shoot bolts at the rude jerk who hurt my lovely shrike.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: ^^^^ The Mortar/MIRV/Mortar Deluxe argument comes down mostly to the range you like to shoot from and the specific map. Mortar Deluxe is the best at extreme distance and maps with small stands, MIRV is best at medium distances and on maps with large stands that you want to clear an entire area, regular mortar is closer distances.

There's also Looter, which gives you 2 belt items for each little dead person nugget thingy. It also allows your maximum belt items to be 1 higher than default, and you can almost always find one of those at your base before you go on your fractal run.

fermun fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 6, 2012

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
On Katabatic, the mortar deluxe can hit both flag stands from the top area of the tower on the left, if looking at DS from BE.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Kaal posted:

To put this in perspective, a new player (who probably isn't going to be winning, will be low on the scoreboard and won't be amassing lots of bonus XP) might earn an average of 300 XP per match. The First Win of the Day award, of 1,200 XP, represents almost an hour and a half worth of XP for them.
The XP rate being primarily based on time played actually prevents that. 2133 XP/hour is the minimum xp gain rate, assuming 16th place and losing team each game. That said, I agree with you. I think prices should be dropped to about 2/3rds of what they are now for the top 3 tiers of equipment, those 42k, 75k, and 88k items.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Saber is very bad, it is not for taking out people in the air, rather it is for kindly requesting that people in the air stop using their jetpack so much, please.

Chain Cannon has 3/4ths rate of fire and 5/4ths damage for 15/16ths overall DPS, but the way damage dropoff works, at extreme range it has a slight advantage. I'm not sure whether that is enough to make it worth using.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=325&t=59950&p=990995&sid=2911b24f51d9017c7e0b9a01ce2b5557#p990995

HiRezKP posted:

There are changes being made to Temple Ruins, and yes I did read Greth's post.

I really wish they'd just scrap it entirely instead of wasting time trying to tweak that mess of a map into a more playable form.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
In T1 and T2, the jetpacks were roughly 5 times more powerful, you had a bit more energy, and you couldn't airstrafe without using your jetpack, so duels using only discs or other weapons of that nature would be this explosive jetpack ballet. If you weren't strafing, you would be on a very predictable arc and therefore an easy target, but if you were strafing you would run out of energy much sooner and you would then hit the ground and be an easy target. If you got too close to the other person, they could throw a mine at you which would be on a very predictable arc and was easy to shoot causing 2 explosions, enough to kill, so you would also have to avoid getting in range of that unless they had just fired a shot and were reloading. These all created duels that would last a minute or so of dancing around in the air, dodging when needed, getting closer and farther away as necessary, while managing your energy to be the last person to hit the ground. Hence, grace weapons are weapons that forced this style of play, and the chaingun, being very good at killing someone trying to do this were frowned upon in certain game modes.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

t3h z0r posted:

I felt like the generator was important to keep up for vehicles and turrets, but now I'm guessing since the defense turrets are mostly useless, and competent players don't need vehicles, that it isn't crucial.

I have a lot of XP to spend so I'll assume the OP is still correct and try a soldier with Gast Rifle and Thumper (LOVE using this as tech) on D.

No matter how good the players are, a shrike is always useful on every map, and a beowulf is useful on some maps. The generator needs to be up for only a second for a vehicle though and if one or two people can't clear it out for long enough for just that, it's because there are a whole bunch of people on the other team wasting their time in there.

There hasn't been a patch in the couple weeks since the OP, so it should still be correct.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Check out the second post. Wait until they are 50% off or more.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A chaser gets 2 nitron boosts, a capper on a normal route gets 3 nitron boosts and a discjump.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
You hadn't posted when I clicked to reply, I wasn't criticizing your capping abilities! But it does get more ridiculous on maps like Temple where it is big enough that there is time for the 3 nitrons, 3 discjumps.

Map design is vital to cover for this part of the design, but back to front routes are more available than they were in previous games along with the inherent capper advantages due to more health to trade for speed.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
If it is a belt item, then the chaser doesn't have a nitron. If it's a pack, a capper can use it and gain even more speed. It's just not possible to fix chasing without either major changes to the structure of the game or keeping the current structure but designing maps specifically with current chasing structure in mind.

If you keep the current chasing abilities and work at fixing it through map design, that would mean designing maps where the flag stand is on a hill and there are no back to front routes available. The chaser needs a direct route to the enemy flag area, not necessarily to the flag itself. Chasers should be able to stand slightly off from the flag, in a spot where they can splash the stand, then thrust toward the enemy flag, ski down a hill to gain speed, and make up for their lower speed by a shorter route that lets them cut off the capper. It isn't as ideal as fixing everything from the ground up, but it's possible to limit the flaws in the game through proper map design.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The mortar deluxe is a lot of fun, I even had some fun with it on Temple tonight. I kept getting put into temple and finally said screw it and started playing, found a hill just off the llama trench that let me thread the needle on the columns and hit my shots on one of the rear columns of the flag stand, keeping the whole thing clear. I spent most of my time having LMG duels, only dropping mortars on the stand when I needed to request more enemies come duel me please.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The normal rate is the same, custom servers give less experience because you don't get any of the experience towards upgrading weapons and you can't get badges. Those really do add up, especially first win of the day.

If you are going to a tie in overtime then it is a 35 minute, unless the server makes it longer, but a 35 minute tie game where you are first on your team would give would be 1838 XP.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Your team winning does as much for your bonus XP reward as moving from 16th to 8th or from 8th to 4th, etc. It's supposed to provide an incentive to help your team win even if it means playing a role that doesn't get good credit rewards. When you play through the entire overtime and get a tie game, both teams are counted as winning for XP reward purposes. If you get automatically switched then you also get XP as if you were on the winning team regardless of which team wins.

If you look at who is on the top of the scoreboard normally, it is often some generhating brute since the generator credit rewards are so high than everything else and there are always a lot of kills from everyone who runs into the fractals. They'll usually have 30,000+ credits without having contributed anything toward their team winning. I think that the credit system needs to be rebalanced some but I don't have any problem with the XP reward incentivizing your team winning over you personally doing well. They just need to really advertise the fact that winning doubles the Bonus XP part of your match XP.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Playing with pubbies sometimes is pretty terrible. CTF and everyone is pathfinder/soldier, not a single technician, so when the generator goes out it stays out until I have to switch.

Wish there was a way to play with goons and have it be ranked.

:ssh: The pubbie is you. :ssh:

The generator auto-repairs after 5 minutes, your team's pilots will usually pay enough attention to the auto-repair timer to get their shrike up at that time. Only repair the generator if there is a DMB HoF asking for it.

edit:
A Should I Repair the Generator Checklist:
1) The generator auto-repair is more than 2 minutes away
2) There is a doombringer Heavy-on-Flag (HoF)
3) There is a soldier stay at home defender helping the HoF
4) There is a deployed inventory call-in near the HoF

If you don't have all 4 of these, wait for the generator auto-repair. The only extremely useful gen-powered things are the vehicle pad and forcefields. Pilots will wait for the auto-repair and take care of their own shrikes. If the autorepair is less than 2 minutes away, it's not worth the time clearing the base and repairing. If there's not a doombringer HoF, there's no forcefields to power. If there's no soldier playing doombuddy, some jerk raider or juggernaut will kill the forcefields as soon as they go up. If there's no deployed inventory call in near the HoF, when the forcefield goes down he is a heavy away from the flag, far less useful than a heavy on the flag.

fermun fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 17, 2012

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

For three games in a row I saw a certain capper fly with impossible air control and energy stock, and on Drydock in a straight line capping our flag with ease twice, pulling a circle around the rock face, never touching ground and ending up far higher than the home capture point.

Can you do that with only 305 speed (note: air control like it was QuakeWorld, no exaggeration), is it the new version of the infinite energy hack, or did another "physics and gravity gets hosed up" glitch happen three games in a row but not apply to anybody else?

There is still a hack that makes thrusts cost 0 energy. As far as I know, there are currently no hacks that give infinite energy, the thrust hack you can tell when it's being used because the person will have a wake from the thrust effect.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

So will cappers start running SafeFall to counter shrikes or is that slot too important?

Not pathfinder cappers, but the perk will make brute and raider capping followed by a group escort more viable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
What is the plan for goon tag when tags are up? It's just 4 letters, so [GOON]?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Fina posted:

It seemed like my rank was leveling up much faster during the last double xp event, didn't it just double your base XP? Maybe rank is based on base XP which would explain why the double xp events level you up faster but not bonus xp/vip/boost.

It is base xp, but base xp is just time, though double xp weekends do obviously make it go twice as quickly because of this.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

victrix posted:

Oh my god I love Raider so much :allears:

Tell me the Whiteout grenade is annoying as gently caress so I can buy it instead of XL EMPs or the mirv grenade (unless the mirv grenade owns bones, in which case I'll get that)

If you are good with your NJ5B, the whiteout grenade is a sure kill on whoever you hit with it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I bought the battle worn voice, and constantly spamming vgrw (wait), has him say "Stop". I love this one little clip like I love UH-HUH, and for no drat reason. Also, I like the new Temple better than the old one, but wasn't it supposed to be disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to spam this link pretty much every page for a while but here's the new goon spreadsheet. Please post your info here if you want to play with other goons!

:siren: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag-wW5rLU2kzdEVWVllMZlMtTjRra19JZUY5M05pOWc :siren:

I play as fermun and use the [LLJK] tag. I mostly chase and shrike.

• Locked thread