Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Famethrowa posted:

Well poo poo, my out-of-touch Dad just told me to start listening to this when I've been ignoring this thread for months. Guess I better catch up.

In other words, good job on securing that conservative "still sends chain emails" 50+ demographic.

Your conservative "still sends chain emails" 50+ father has no problems with a homosexual romance sub-plot? If true, color me surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Are the Night Vale guys going to be at Comiccon, or is the Friday panel some type of "fan panel" nonsense?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

zandert33 posted:

Are the Night Vale guys going to be at Comiccon, or is the Friday panel some type of "fan panel" nonsense?

No that will be us.

They only gave us a 70 person room though, so show up early if you want to get in.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

maxnmona posted:

No that will be us.

They only gave us a 70 person room though, so show up early if you want to get in.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

maxnmona posted:

No that will be us.

What time/place? I don't see it on the website.

EDIT: Found it. 1:45 pm - 2:45 pm

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Cheng Pu
Aug 12, 2005
Poe Theed
Clever Betty
Just got out of the 10pm show, awesome as usual. Scratch that, probably my favorite episode yet. Really enjoyed the guest voices and Jason Webley performances. Keep up the good work, Max and Earwicker!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Cheng Pu posted:

Just got out of the 10pm show, awesome as usual. Scratch that, probably my favorite episode yet. Really enjoyed the guest voices and Jason Webley performances. Keep up the good work, Max and Earwicker!

I don't know if you had the same show as we did, but the 7:30 show was AWESOME.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That was a very fun time. The audiences of the two shows seemed pretty different but both were crazy enthusiastic and watching them freak out when certain things happened was pretty amazing.

Also Jason Webley is a really really cool guy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Cheng Pu posted:

It was amazing. Cecil's voice is even more impressive live.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

That was a very fun time. The audiences of the two shows seemed pretty different

As someone who attended the early show, I am curious how the late-show vibe differed. (If it matches the stereotypical expectation in my head, I will be disappointed that I ended up at the wrong show, but c'est la vie)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

As someone who attended the early show, I am curious how the late-show vibe differed. (If it matches the stereotypical expectation in my head, I will be disappointed that I ended up at the wrong show, but c'est la vie)

They were more rowdy obviously. Also, where the early audience cheered everyone, the late audience, for instance, booed the poo poo out of poor Hal Lublin as Steve Carlsburg. There was also a lot of shouting back at the actors.

Basically it was fun but I'll probably mainly be using audio from the first show.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

They were more rowdy obviously.

Yeah they also seemed a bit older on average meaning many of them had been drinking. Also the actors and band had all had a few more drinks as well. I think the music at least was a bit better the second time around but there was way more audience shouting at the actors and stuff like that. The first audience seemed more in awe of the whole thing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 11, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Hahaha, booing Steve Carlsburg. So apropos. Shame on the first show.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

evilwaldo posted:

I booed him and was very disappointed at all the people around me that cheered. :(

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

evilwaldo posted:

That reminds me of the hate for some random guy from America: The Book by John Stewart and the Daily Show cast.

He knows why! :argh:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
PLEASE tell me Steve Carlsburg will be appearing on the podcast itself!

Not that I actually want to hear that guy's voice. What an rear end in a top hat.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Why the gently caress are people talking about that rear end in a top hat Steve Carlsburg still? :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Let me just say gently caress every single one of you who live near/can afford to go to places these shows happen. Nothing fun ever happens in North East Ohio.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

PLEASE tell me Steve Carlsburg will be appearing on the podcast itself!

Not that I actually want to hear that guy's voice. What an rear end in a top hat.

I would pay money for a .gif of the body spasm of anger Cecil did when Steve called in.

Who played (I think it was) John Peters? There was some guy I got the authograph of because he was standing next to Jackson Public outside, and he has a podcast called Amazing Adventures or something? But he only had a walk-on so I don't exactly remember who he played in the show, but he wasn't Steve Carlsberg.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Len posted:

Let me just say gently caress every single one of you who live near/can afford to go to places these shows happen. Nothing fun ever happens in North East Ohio.

I overheard a gaggle of (probably high school) girls outside saying they drove 5 hours to see the live show :stare:.

I took the N local train all the way from the upper east side, and I thought it was a bit out of the way.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

I would pay money for a .gif of the body spasm of anger Cecil did when Steve called in.

Who played (I think it was) John Peters? There was some guy I got the authograph of because he was standing next to Jackson Public outside, and he has a podcast called Amazing Adventures or something? But he only had a walk-on so I don't exactly remember who he played in the show, but he wasn't Steve Carlsberg.

Mark Gagliardi (coincidentally a childhood friend of Cecil Baldwin). He, and many of the other cast members, are regulars on the Thrilling Adventure Hour which is very funny and which is having two live shows tonight at the Bell House.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Maybe the reason it's always John Peters (you know, the farmer) is because everyone in his family is named John. So you have John Peters the plumber, baker, secret police officer (we don't talk about him though) and Night Vale has more farmers.

There's an episode where Cecil mentions a recent change around town not being popular with "Night Vale's farmer", John's the only one.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Len posted:

True enough. We totally need to find a venue in central Ohio to host a show. Columbus *loves* indie artsy stuff, so while it might take a bit of searching, it can be done, I'm sure. Night Vale at the Newport would be crazy fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dimloep posted:

True enough. We totally need to find a venue in central Ohio to host a show. Columbus *loves* indie artsy stuff, so while it might take a bit of searching, it can be done, I'm sure. Night Vale at the Newport would be crazy fun.

Canton has First Fridays which is the definition of indie artsy stuff. All the art district opens up there's fire dancers and drum circles it's kind of neat but then you would be in Canton Ohio which is a place no one wants to be.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

St. Louis is a very nice place. Our zoo is fantastic, and we have a very lovely art museum. There are lots of venues here, you know. Lots of friendly, wonderful people, too. :allears:

Of course if you preferred to stop at nearby St. Charles instead that would be even better!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Hearing that Mark Gagliardi and Hal Lublin were there kills me, I'm even more jealous now than I was before that I live nowhere near anywhere you've done a show yet. Every reaction I've read online said that last night was fantastic no matter which show people went to.

Forgive the diversion, but Thrilling Adventure Hour is my other favorite podcast. If you guys aren't listening to it you really, really should be. TAV is a live show put on every month done in the style of old-timey radio, which has various programs which are each about 20 minutes in it. They break up each segment for the podcast.

Beyond Belief is Paget Brewster and Paul F. Tomkins as a pair of married alcoholic mediums / supernatural creature mystery solvers.

Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars is a space western set in the year 3000 on Mars starring Marc Evan Jackson as the Marshal Sparks Nevada, and Mark Gagliardi as his faithful Martian companion, Croach the Tracker. Nathan Fillion, Josh Molina and Busy Phillips are also all regulars. Sparks Nevada might actually be my favorite thing in the world right now.

Sparks and Beyond Belief are in every episode. There's about a half dozen other shows that they rotate through that show up occasionally, and a few spinoffs of Sparks Nevada.

I hope WTNV comes to Dallas soon, and bring Mark Gagliardi with you. :3:

*edit* I made a Thrilling Adventure Hour thread in RGD.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 31, 2013

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Gainesville, Florida! Let's get some people behind this - we have perfect venues we just need the cash to set them up.

I would pay great money for this to happen (within reason).

Annakie posted:

Hearing that Mark Gagliardi and Hal Lublin were there kills me, I'm even more jealous now than I was before that I live nowhere near anywhere you've done a show yet. Every reaction I've read online said that last night was fantastic no matter which show people went to.

Forgive the diversion, but Thrilling Adventure Hour is my other favorite podcast. If you guys aren't listening to it you really, really should be. TAV is a live show put on every month done in the style of old-timey radio, which has various programs which are each about 20 minutes in it. They break up each segment for the podcast.

Beyond Belief is Paget Brewster and Paul F. Tomkins as a pair of married alcoholic mediums / supernatural creature mystery solvers.

Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars is a space western set in the year 3000 on Mars starring Marc Evan Jackson as the Marshal Sparks Nevada, and Mark Gagliardi as his faithful Martian companion, Croach the Tracker. Nathan Fillion, Josh Molina and Busy Phillips are also all regulars. Sparks Nevada might actually be my favorite thing in the world right now.

Sparks and Beyond Belief are in every episode. There's about a half dozen other shows that they rotate through that show up occasionally, and a few spinoffs of Sparks Nevada.

I hope WTNV comes to Dallas soon, and bring Mark Gagliardi with you. :3:

How did I not know this existed...!?

bengraven fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2013

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

maxnmona posted:

No that will be us.

Got there 1 1/2 hours early and it came o a point where about 60 of us were told there was no way we were getting in, a line of about 80 people remained many of them likely didn't get in either.

Screw nycc

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

zandert33 posted:

Got there 1 1/2 hours early and it came o a point where about 60 of us were told there was no way we were getting in, a line of about 80 people remained many of them likely didn't get in either.

Screw nycc

A bunch of people went to the panel before us just so they could stay and watch our panel. Which meant there only ended up being maybe 30 or so spots for people standing in line. It seems like a really bad policy for them to let people just stay and cut in front of the people in line, but whatever, I wasn't in charge.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

maxnmona posted:

A bunch of people went to the panel before us just so they could stay and watch our panel. Which meant there only ended up being maybe 30 or so spots for people standing in line. It seems like a really bad policy for them to let people just stay and cut in front of the people in line, but whatever, I wasn't in charge.

Just goes to show a lot of people love you guys, saw a whole bunch of people dressed as Cecil yesterday as well. If you are there next year they better give a bigger room!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah, that's pretty typical for Comic Cons. I've seen people say that sometimes the panel before a really popular thing might be like 80-90% people who don't care about that panel and can sometimes be rude/noisy/disinterested.

I heard that Cecil was in last night's live Thrilling Adventure Hour episode of Sparks Nevada as the Emperor of Mars. I really really hope they release that on the podcast. Normally they're like 3 or 4 months between recording an episode and it being posted, so this is going to be a long wait, if they even release it at all.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

zandert33 posted:

Just goes to show a lot of people love you guys, saw a whole bunch of people dressed as Cecil yesterday as well. If you are there next year they better give a bigger room!

I believe they got turned down originally and then when NYCC realized just who they were scrambled to find them a room.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Girlfriend went there dressed as Cecil, with a friend of hers as Carlos. Unfortunately they didn't get into the panel. She said there were about 200 people behind them also trying to get in. NYCC really misjudged how much space you guys needed.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
The live show was amazing and everything I could have dreamed of. :swoon: There were a few scenes I'd been specifically hoping would happen and you did not disappoint. Seeing the actor's expressions and interactions and all the audience reactions really added to it.

And not a real spoiler if you've looked at the cast list but I'm amazed how Kevin the character can be so creepy while Kevin the person is so adorable. It was very conflicting to watch.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Thanks for all the great times this weekend maxnmona!

Just so you know, I was standing in line on Thursday for the early show and the two girls behind me were college students who had flown in from Ohio specifically for the show. They said they were going to Comic Con on Friday, but that it was the next day was just a happy accident.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://www.avclub.com/articles/we-burned-down-their-city-hall-14-epic-rivalries-b,103974/2/

Congrats, OP! You made an AV club list! The rivalry between Night Vale and Desert Bluffs is apparently the 8th most epic rivalry between fictional towns.

quote:

Welcome To Night Vale
The Welcome To Night Vale podcast has one of the best kinds of continuity: the kind where it often sounds like the show’s creators (Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor) are discovering new connections at the same time as their listeners. A tossed-off joke in one episode can become a reference point for later stories, and a history develops: the off-limits dog park, the library and its horrible librarians, Intern Dana, and the beautiful scientist Carlos are all ideas that became key pieces of show lore over time. Then there’s Desert Bluffs, the neighboring town that normally only gets mentioned when Cecil, the host, wants to insult it. The rivalry starts out as typical enough, with sports teams squaring off against each other, and it was natural to assume that the Bluffs served as the chipper counterpart to Night Vale’s Addams Family-meets-Twin Peaks surrealism. The two-part episode “The Sandstorm” suggests otherwise. Suffice it to say that when it comes to picking sides, you’re better off sticking with the hooded faceless figures you know.

My little sister keeps saying she wants to 'move to Night Vale'. Should I be worried?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Count Chocula posted:

My little sister keeps saying she wants to 'move to Night Vale'. Should I be worried?

Nah. Episode 13 suggests that a sudden, unexplained desire to abandon your old life, cut all ties and move to a trailer next to Old Woman Josie's is a pretty normal way for people to settle there.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
On fuckin' pins and needles waiting for the new episode.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Oh man, teen Cecil is just the most adorable thing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
I've had a few episodes where I was like "eh" about them, but these last few you've been knocking it out of the loving park. :3: