Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Greetings Junior Adventurekateers, welcome to The Thrilling Adventure Hour!

What exactly *IS* The Thrilling Adventure Hour?
So glad you asked. The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a live show which is performed monthly at Largo at the Coronet in Hollywood. The show is performed in the style of an old-timey radio play. Each show consists of three to four segments, each a different serial, almost as if you're sitting in front of your radio listening to all your favorite shows over the course of the evening. While being performed, the show looks something like this.

Then, the show is broken up by serials to be released approximately 20 to 30-minute long podcasts, and is now a part of Nerdist Industries. (Occasionally there will be a special hour+ long episode, as well.)

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker, and performed by both a regular cast, known as the Workjuice players, as well has guest stars in nearly every episode. Guest stars who you've either probably heard of or definitely heard of.

Every live show has two serials that are almost always performed, and about a half dozen that are rotated through for the middle segment.

My personal favorite is Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars, which opens every live show.

Marc Evan Jackson plays Sparks Nevada, the Marshal on Mars 1000 years from now. Mars, the new Wild West, has been colonized by the United Solar System Alliance, and it's up to Sparks Nevada to keep the peace, with the help of his faithful Martian companion, Croach the Tracker, played by Mark Gagliardi. It's a Space Western, combining both Sci-Fi and Spaghetti style Western elements, which probably sounds a bit familiar. Nathan Fillion thought so too, so he's joined the regular guest cast as Cactoid Jim, King of the Martian frontier, the (human) hero of the outer reaches of Mars and seemingly perfect and lovely in every way. The other hero of Mars is the Red Plains Rider, played by Busy Phillips, a human who was raised by Martians as a child, but she left them to ride and bring justice to the plains of Mars as an adult. Rounding out the regular cast is the saloon Barkeep, played by Joshua Malina, who don't want no trouble in his place, and Felton, (Workjuice player Craig Cackowski), the Local Yokel.

Most episodes focus on Sparks and Croach defeating aliens, robots gone bad, outlaws and other threats to Mars while bickering with each other over Human and Martian stuff, and occasionally competing for The Red Plains Rider's love. And then a lot of other stuff happens, which I'd tell you about but, well, spoilers. Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars is a serial, each episode builds on the previous, and continuity is key.

I will warn you that I think the first episode and a half or so is probably the worst part of Sparks Nevada. It starts to pick up around the second episode, and by about the sixth it really is on its feet. Once Nathan Fillion shows up about 1/3rd of the way through the available episodes, you'll likely be hooked. I'll honestly say that Sparks Nevada has become one of my favorite shows ever. It's one of the funniest things I have listened to (or watched), with the occasional punch to the heart.

Also, know that if you start listening to only Sparks Nevada and skipping the other serials that there are several "Spinoff" episodes on the podcast which are performed as a "middle segment" on the show. They must be listened to in the same order as they're released along with Sparks Nevada, as they're all in the same timeline and skipping a spinoff episode might leave you wondering what's going on in the next Sparks episode. Here is the suggested listening order to hear all of the Sparks stuff, and in order.

Beyond Belief closes every live show.

Beyond Belief stars Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster as Frank and Sadie Doyle, a pair of married, psychic, alcoholic, reluctant supernatural crime solvers. Beyond Belief is mostly episodic, although there are some recurring secondary characters. Whenever someone from an older episode shows back up they're always re-introduced well (or sometimes hilariously.)

There are exactly two things that Frank and Sadie love, 1) each other and 2) alcohol. Their relationship, wit, and lots of booze gets them through encounters with succubi, ghosts, vampires, djinni, devils, jungle spirits, and many other adventures with the weird and supernatural.

Other serials in the show:
These are all "middle segments", performed in the show between Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief, usually one per show. There's around 2 - 10 of each segment available.

Moonshine Holler stars Workjuice players Craig Cackowski as Banjo Bindlestuff, once a millionaire who renounced his fortunes to ride the rails in search of the Hobo Princess in depression-era USA. Hal Lublin plays Gummy, his Hobo Mentor. Most episodes center on the search for the Hobo Princess, and Banjo & Gummy helping other poor folk out of desperate situations while not revealing Banjo's true identity.

Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer centers on Autumn Reeser playing not-actually-dead Amelia Earhart, who instead runs missions for the WW2 era US army against the Germans. She ventures through time, teaming up with famous historical figures against German plots to change the past in order to win the war.

There are two episodes of Jefferson Reid, Ace American. Reid is played by Nathan Fillion, most American of manly American men, also busting Germans and losing his sidekicks along the way. Once Fillion started playing Cactoid Jim, they haven't had any new Jefferson Reid episodes, but have hinted there may be more someday.

Captain Laserbeam stars John DiMaggio as Captain Laserbeam, the hero of Apex City, who, with the help of his pubescent Adventurekateers, stop all manner of bad guys plaguing the metropolis. He sometimes teams up with Phillip Fathom, Deep Sea Detective and other heroes.

Colonel Tick-Tock is also time-travel based, though he's a Brit working for the Queen's Royal Chrono Patrol, more often saving famous historical figures from historical monsters like Dinosaurs while solving their personal issues. Often the historical figures or stories are done in the style of pop-culture references, as well.

Early on there are also short segments of Tales from the Black Lagoon, which is about a down-on-his-luck actor in the 50's trying to solve a murder before he gets picked up by the cops for the murder.

War of Two Worlds is a team-up with the guys from SuperEgo. It is the story of the original Martian invasion of Earth in the modern era. The story is connected to the Sparks Nevada universe, however it can be listened to at any time. The episodes are all improv but recorded in a studio and not live.

There are also occasionally short segments of "commercials" for Workjuice Brand Coffee and Patriot Brand Cigarettes the fictional sponsors of the show. There are also cast interviews, Comic-Con panels, episodes of Workjuice players appearing on other podcasts and other special segments mixed in.

Where can I listen?
If you don't have one already, there are a bunch of podcast apps you can download for your phone. iTunes can play podcasts, if you have an iPhone. I use IPP Podcast player on my Android. All of the episodes should be available from any podcast app by searching for The Thrilling Adventure Hour. As there are over 150 episodes of TAH so far, know that older episodes may not be on iTunes anymore.

You can also listen on SoundCloud here or find it here on the nerdist.com. If you listen on the Nerdist, some of the episodes have commentary on the page by the creators or actors, but there are several dozen earlier episodes from before they became affiliated with Nerdist which are not there yet. Here's a list of the episodes with commentary.

What else should I know?
Last year there was a Kickstarter for the show, which raised money for various projects.

First up is the Thrilling Adventure Hour original graphic novel. You can buy it here, or on Amazon. The art is really well done, the stories are great and the hardcover book and materials used are very good quality. There are comics for Sparks Nevada, Phillip Phantom, Jefferson Reid, Cactoid Jim, Colonel Tick-Tock, Captain Laserbeam, Tales of the USSA, Moonshine Holler, Amelia Earhart and Beyond Belief. Each is drawn in a style suited to the segment. The OGN made several "best graphic novels of 2013" lists and has been nominated for an Eisner award.

In October 2013, a concert film was recorded, which will be released sometime in the second half of 2014. I saw a sneak preview, and it's really well done.

The behind the Scenes Web Series is currently airing! Episode 1, 2, 3, 4. Episode one is particularly good to watch if you're new to the show.

Resources:
Official Website
Official Tumblr
Official Twitter
Official Facebook
Buy tickets to upcoming shows if you're in LA
Official Soundcloud with all available episodes or on The Nerdist. Starts at episode 42, so it's better to start on Soundcloud.

liezlwashere's Flickr, and Johnathan Riley for hundreds pictures of the show being performed.

Official Merchandise
Some official merchandise including Sparks Nevada badges, TAH fridge magnets and official WorkJuice coffee. (This is currently down, maybe indefinitely.)
We Love Fine shop with T-shirts and posters!
Show swag you can normally only get at the shows

Fan Stuff
Thrilling Adventure Hour Wiki! I'm one of the admins. It's still a WIP but I'd say we're at like 90% of where we need to be, so almost anything you want to know, you should be able to find on the wiki at this point. Feel free come help if you have the time and inclination.

Helpful wiki pages:
*The Wiki page of useful links. Includes links to cast member's wiki profiles which leads to their online presence and lots of other helpful stuff.
*Wiki Newbie FAQ for more information for those of you just getting started on the show. Please check this page out for more help about the show if you're just getting into it.

gently caress Yeah TAH tumblr Fan run tumblr showcasing both fan works, reblogs of official content, news, WorkJuice Player's other jobs, etc. (I help out with this sometimes as well and we try to keep it as non-lovely and just fun and informative as possible.)

Other Stuff
This is a recording of an old live show which was done before just before the podcast started getting released. The show actually was going for about five years before it became a podcast. I think the performances feel a lot more stilted than they are on the actual podcast, and the recording was done in a much smaller room than the show is now so the stage is crowded and awkward, so I wouldn't recommend watching it until after you're a fan.

Watch Mark Gagliardi transform into Croach the Tracker.

I have a playlist of some other TAH stuff on Youtube if you're looking for more video from this audio podcast.

There's an entire TAH special feature on the Castle Season 4 DVDs, which includes the full performances of Sparks Nevada - Mutiny on the Bounty Hunter and Cactoid Jim - MurderMen as well as a making-of featurette.

A Daily Dot article which is a primer for TAH, if you're still not convinced or want to get someone else into the show without letting them know you're a goon.

Since there are definite storylines and things that could be considered spoilers, let's make this a newbie-friendly thread, and tag our spoilers, at least for Sparks Nevada stuff. Thanks! :)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a great podcast and I'm surprised there wasn't another thread for it already.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Really really surprising how obscure this is considering the people involved.

Paget Brewster is incredible.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 23, 2013

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Just wanted to say thanks for pointing this series out (I think in the earlier Couch Chat thread?). I've been listening to it on my commute and love it!

Beyond Belief #1 is by far my favorite so far -- Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster are perfect, and really work with the audience and the flubs : "Ready yourself for a door opening noise!" -- but I'm only up to TAH #5.

I thought the first Sparks was pretty good, with lots of potential, Jefferson Reid was great, but Tales From the Black Lagoon was...I don't know, I stopped listening a few minutes in.

So happy to see 134 more sketches awaiting me in the queue!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Do not listen to this weeks's episode of Q&A at the New York ComicCon. The audio is terrible and makes for very unpleasant listening.

That said I love this podcast, Beyond Belief is my favorite segment. Phillip Fathom, Deep Sea Detective is amazing as well.

Colonel Tick Tock is usually a sci-fi movie transposed onto historical figures, like when they did Jurassic Park but with Benjamin Franklin.

Couple of corrections, it's Moonshine Holler, not Hollow, and Phillip Fathom not Phantom

Fezz fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 23, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Annakie posted:

There is also War of Two Worlds, which I think is about an alien invasion in more modern times
It's their collaboration with Superego, so the episodes are a bit shorter, pre-recorded and feature a lot more improv.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Palooka posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing this series out (I think in the earlier Couch Chat thread?). I've been listening to it on my commute and love it!

Beyond Belief #1 is by far my favorite so far -- Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster are perfect, and really work with the audience and the flubs : "Ready yourself for a door opening noise!" -- but I'm only up to TAH #5.

I thought the first Sparks was pretty good, with lots of potential, Jefferson Reid was great, but Tales From the Black Lagoon was...I don't know, I stopped listening a few minutes in.

So happy to see 134 more sketches awaiting me in the queue!

I've posted about it in the Welcome to Night Vale thread, the Parks & Rec thread and Couch Chat last night so it could have been any of those. I figured it was time for it to have its own thread so I'd stop tossing it out everywhere else. :)

If you liked the first Sparks Nevada you're in for a treat then, because it gets so much better. Beyond Belief definitely starts out the strongest, and stays strong the entire run. (Actually I still have like 3 left I haven't even listened to yet!)

I stopped like two episodes into Tales from the Black Lagoon. I couldn't get into it or War or Two Worlds, but I might give them both another go once I finish catching up on everything else.

Fezz posted:

Do not listen to this weeks's episode of Q&A at the New York ComicCon. The audio is terrible and makes for very unpleasant listening.

That said I love this podcast, Beyond Belief is my favorite segment. Phillip Fathom, Deep Sea Detective is amazing as well.

Colonel Tick Tock is usually a sci-fi movie transposed onto historical figures, like when they did Jurassic Park but with Benjamin Franklin.

Couple of corrections, it's Moonshine Holler, not Hollow, and Phillip Fathom not Phantom

Corrections made, thank you!

Yeah whoever was running the sound at the NYCC was terrible. Most microphones were barely even on, and then Mark Gagliardi, who already has a big voice, would talk and you'd have to scramble to turn down the volume. And then they didn't even supply the audience with mics, so Hal was having to relay all the questions. Very incompetently handled by the con. I still enjoyed listening to the podcast for the content but it was... difficult.

I've gone through Sparks Nevada twice now, while listening to the occasional episode of the rest of them, so I'm just now starting to finish up the newer episodes. I listened to #125: Beyond Belief, “Art Imitates Life” the other night (very light spoilers) and I think, aside from the near total lack of Frank, it's one of my favorites in the whole podcast. I didn't expect Beyond Belief to land an emotional punch like it did at the end, but the twist was really great.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 23, 2013

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
I only listen to Beyond Belief episodes anymore, and I absolutely adore it. It's the best, but only if you are familiar with the classic "The Thin Man" series of movies or are the type that watches a lot of TCM in general.

They so perfectly capture the tone of the screwball comedy/mystery that I half expect Cary Grant to do a guest voice.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I am under much onus to you for posting this. I've been wanting to jump back into this for awhile now but I've built up a bit of an intimidating backlog, any absolute must listens in the last few months?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Maduo posted:

I am under much onus to you for posting this. I've been wanting to jump back into this for awhile now but I've built up a bit of an intimidating backlog, any absolute must listens in the last few months?

The current Sparks Nevada storyline is completely off the wall crazy, and make sure you listen to the Robot Rogues episode after the newest Sparks Nevada. But I've really enjoyed literally every Sparks Nevada episode except the first one a lot. I found it easier to stay engaged in Sparks Nevada if I marathoned them first, since it's so serialized.

I'm actually not quite caught up myself since I just started listening like six weeks ago and went through Sparks Nevada twice, but of the new-ish not-Sparks Nevada episodes I've really liked...

#123: Captain Laserbeam, “Secret Disservice” was a nice departure from the usually very formulatic Captain Laserbeam, plus it had Danica McKellar, Wendie Malick, Dan Lauria and Jim Beaver.

#125: Beyond Belief, “Art Imitates Life” like I mentioned above was a big departure from normal Beyond Belief episodes and was actually a little emotionally touching. And it had Bradley Whitford and Jim Beaver. But I also don't think there's been a bad Beyond Belief episode in a long time.

I used to not be a big Amelia Earhart fan but #126: Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer, "Forward to the Past" and #108: Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer, “Brother vs Brother vs Nazi” I thought were both great. BvBvN also had John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt guest star.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am so glad we have a thread about this now. Why?

Because I'm...from Earth.

What impresses me most about Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief is how well the leads play off each other. Frank and Sadie clearly adore each other, and Sparks and Croach barely tolerate each other's presence most of the time.

Captain Laserbeam starts out pretty weak, but it picks up after a few episodes. Especially when they start fleshing out the Adventurekateers.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Captain Laserbeam starts out pretty weak, but it picks up after a few episodes. Especially when they start fleshing out the Adventurekateers.

You mean when Dream Girl said she used to team up with Lady Justice back in college.

Or every single time Phillip Fathom is speaking.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Here's a few of my favorite episodes:

#80 Beyond Belief - "Sarcophagus Now"
#119 & 121 Sparks Nevada - "Something Wicked This Way Is" & "The Thing From This Same Planet" featuring an hilarious guest role from PFT
#89 Captain Laserbeam - "Uncanny Exes!" The first appearance of Phillip Fathom
#29 Down in Moonshine Holler - "Beanstalk" The one that helped me get this segment
#87 Colonel Tick-Tock - "Electric Park" Jurassic Park by way of Tesla and Edison

Other good ones. The sequence of Sparks Nevada involving Andy Daly as Mercury Sparks' horse. #33, 35 &, 43. Andy Daly as a Nazi in Amelia Airheart: #44 & 71. The Beyond Belief spoof of A Christmas Carol #114

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

What impresses me most about Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief is how well the leads play off each other. Frank and Sadie clearly adore each other, and Sparks and Croach barely tolerate each other's presence most of the time.

Frank and Sadie's love is really refreshing. It's so nice to have a married couple where a big part of their story and even their humor is based in their absolutely unwavering adoration for one another. Paul F. Tomkins and Paget Brewster have such great chemistry together.

I kind of feel with Sparks and Croach though that it started out that they barely liked each other but now they really are best friends. Sparks confess it to Croach in one of the dreams when Croach was dead #103: “Murder In His Place”. Also Sparks did track Croach down once he stopped being depressed at the end of The Robot Rogues, the newest episode, which would have been a perfect time to ditch him forever if Sparks didn't want Croach around. I mean, they still bicker but I think they mostly enjoy the bickering now. I don't think Croach would still be hanging around otherwise.

There's still Onus-reasons but even after fulfilling his onus the first time in the musical, did Croach even bother to go home to his tribe? They never explicitly said what happened, but it sounded like Croach instead stayed in town and drank for a couple of months then just decided he had onus to Mercy Laredo and kept right on tagging along with Sparks and Mercy til Sparks accidentally killed him. You'd think Sparks would be the one with all the onus after not helping Croach sober up and then drawing on Mercy when he KNEW Croach would be onus-bound to save her. I also don't think Croach would have left at the end of the newest episode if he still had actual substantial amounts of onus to fulfill to Sparks.

Also there's the whole metaphor with how dream-Croach was literally eating Sparks alive with guilt when Croach was dead.
But that's just my take. As long as they're hanging out together and bickering, I'm happy. There've been some great episodes without Croach but it's always better when they're together.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There are also some interviews with the Workjuice players that are worth listening to after you've heard a couple of episodes. The one with Paul F Tompkins and Paget Brewster is really great because they talk about how much doing the show means to them and it really shows in their performances.

I do wish they'd release more of the ads, as the King of Coffee gets me every time.

"HAVE YOU TRIED... COFFEE?!?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man...this week's Spark Nevada is amazing.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

What're you gonna do?!

I mean, we're pals, right? Are you even under onus to me anymore or are we just doing this? What's happening here?

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was at work and thought I could drink tea while listening to the show. The "What are ya' gonna do?!" right before the scene change actually caused me to do a spit take. I've not laughed that hard and looked like such an idiot to my co-workers in a long time.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm really surprised that this hasn't picked up more interest despite the cast and the ideas behind it, while stuff like Nightvale has become popular rather fast. I like Nightvale, but I prefer the format and the perfomances here, this is one of my favorite podcasts, specially when there's a Sparks Nevada episode.

My favorite one is the musical, I've been listening to it again and it's as good as before. I wish someone with more free time would start a TAH wiki, since sometimes it's kind of hard to keep track of the supporting characters and plots in Sparks Nevada.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

First off, thanks OP for introducing me to this show, I've listened some Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada and I've already started flogging the podcast off to all my friends.

Maduo posted:

You know, when I first read the thread and hadn't listened to anything yet, I was really wondering what the hell that phrasing was about. "Is he an ESL speaker? Did he mean kudos?" :allears:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 6, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Anyone who is under onus to me can have it be fulfilled by introducing other people to the podcast. :)

radlum posted:

I'm really surprised that this hasn't picked up more interest despite the cast and the ideas behind it, while stuff like Nightvale has become popular rather fast. I like Nightvale, but I prefer the format and the perfomances here, this is one of my favorite podcasts, specially when there's a Sparks Nevada episode.

My favorite one is the musical, I've been listening to it again and it's as good as before. I wish someone with more free time would start a TAH wiki, since sometimes it's kind of hard to keep track of the supporting characters and plots in Sparks Nevada.

It's actually funny you mentioned a wiki, because there is one! I've become pretty good online-friends with Ahab99 who runs it (*edit* no she didn't, but she does now. And so do I. :D) via tumblr and twitter and we were discussing it a couple of days ago, and then again on Twitter today with some other fans, and the official twitter account poked at us to work on it some more.

There's a half dozen or so of us now who have started banding together and discussing ways of getting the popularity of the show rolling like it did with WTNV.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 7, 2014

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love the voice that PFT does for Jib Janeen so much.

'Hi, Sparkles....'

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Am I the only one who can't stop laughing at Rex Flagwell's (DiMaggio) voice and diction in Jefferson Reid? It's just so... it's amazing. He doesn't even have to say anything funny, it's enough if he speaks.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Antti posted:

Am I the only one who can't stop laughing at Rex Flagwell's (DiMaggio) voice and diction in Jefferson Reid? It's just so... it's amazing. He doesn't even have to say anything funny, it's enough if he speaks.

Yeah, I love it. I hope they have him show up in Amelia Earhart more, since those two (and Colonel Tick-Tock) are all in the same universe.

The last week or two we've gotten a ton of work done on the Wiki. If you feel like helping out, jump on in. I've been handling most of the Sparks Nevada stuff, but there's still a ton to do.

Also I watched this webseries that stars Marc Evan Jackson a week or two ago. There's two seasons and each season is under two hours. He's great in it and it feels like an entire regular show's season worth of materials crammed into a web format. Also, Barry Corbin, if you like loud, brash old guys.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Fezz posted:

Other good ones. The sequence of Sparks Nevada involving Andy Daly as Mercury Sparks' horse. #33, 35 &, 43.

I'm listening to #35 right now, the Indomitable stuff is amazing.

"You made a treaty with a species called the Murdermen?"
"I can't even begin to describe how tenuous that treaty is."

Edit: Amelia Earhart's "I bet we can bite the zombies to make them human again! Infect them with your livingness!" is the funniest thing in TAH yet.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 14, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

The Daily Dot published a great primer on Thrilling Adventure Hour today. Probably will help for getting others into the show. :)

Antti posted:

Edit: Amelia Earhart's "I bet we can bite the zombies to make them human again! Infect them with your livingness!" is the funniest thing in TAH yet.

*edit* Yeah, that was amazing. :D I REALLY thought that's how (Ep #103 Sparks Nevada spoiler) Sparks, Rebecca, Chicky, the Barkeep and Felton were going to get un-Murdermanned in "Trouble in his Place". Having the Troubleshooter stop the MurderMan invasion and the reveal that she's the Barkeep's wife was pretty awesome, too, though.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 15, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also, for the turbonerds out there (like myself), it looks like we might be getting an "official" Thrilling Adventure Hour RPG.

quote:

As for news, I've been given the go-ahead to post about this: Next month, I'll be running a Sparks Nevada game for TAH co-creators/writers Ben Acker and Ben Blacker and whatever Workjuice Players they can muster, mostly likely including Sparks stars Marc Evan Jackson and Mark Gagliardi -- and, if I'm very lucky, Hal Lublin will be there to narrate (I don't know what that'd mean in this context, but whatever, there's no way I'd pass that up). Plus, I believe it'll be audio and/or video recorded for your online listening and/or viewing pleasure at some point. No pressure, right?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bet Marc Evan Jackson botches a dex roll and kills Croach a second time.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Holy hell. Only today did I finally realize that Sparks Nevada is not played by Matt Besser of Upright Citizens Brigade. I swear he sounds exactly like a character he does, but I'm not sure how I got this in my head. I heard the name Marc Evan Jackson but was just picturing Matt Besser the whole time because the voice sounded just like him (though any sample I'm finding now sounds nothing like it, way higher pitch and nasally). Am I insane?

Still loving the show, just got to the This American Wife interview episodes and that guy does an amazing Robert Krulwich. Plus I think the interview with Sparks and Croach is my favorite interaction of theirs so far.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Palooka posted:

Am I insane?

Maybe. Sparks sounds nothing like Besser to me. Like you said, he has a very nasally voice.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Double-sized Beyond Belief Halloween episode out today!

I've only listened to the first half so far and it is amazing. Plus, a theme song sung by Hal that is just fantastic. :D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

As much as I like all the flagship TAH segments (I was pretty cold on some smaller-run stuff like Tales from the Black Lagoon and Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer) Beyond Belief is just at another level compared to everything else - I think the closest to a weak episode there's been was the one where Paul F. Tompkins couldn't be on it, and that's a pretty big extenuating circumstance. I feel like it could be on TV or something, the whole monster of the week format makes episodes super easy to chain-listen to in a way that you can't really do with like, Captain Laserbeam, where the template stuff starts dragging a little bit.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, uh, don't try to listen to the first two Captain Laserbeam episodes back to back.

The first BB where Paul F. Tompkins couldn't make it was handled brilliantly. Frankie is still in the show, you just never hear him speak. :v:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I just hit the Sparks Nevada arc with the spy from Jupiter and oh my god this is great.

I really like Captain Laserbeam but the whole bit lives and dies by which Adventurekateers are there.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Looks like new swag might be on the way:

http://workjuice.tumblr.com/post/67693146521/the-tah-store-at-welovefine-sneak-previewed

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Annakie posted:

I've only listened to the first half so far and it is amazing. Plus, a theme song sung by Hal that is just fantastic. :D

Might be the best scene they've ever done. God, that is a man that can fill a spotlight with vocals. And that piano. Man.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I'm in the middle of my new-fan binge, and this show is glorious. Drunk Croach is the best.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Leospeare posted:

I'm in the middle of my new-fan binge, and this show is glorious. Drunk Croach is the best.

Any time Croach gets to let loose, start emoting and says what's actually on his mind is one of my favorite things. Leospeare, when you get there, make sure you don't skip "Tales from the TroubleShooters!" after "Murder in his Place". I accidentally did the first time and was really confused when something big happened in the next Sparks episode.

(Don't click this til you finish "Red Alert") AND THEN THIS HAPPENS and you want to die. Never ever before had I been so glad to not get into a show until a bunch of it was out so that I could power through the next several Sparks/Jim episodes.

I added a few new links into the OP this weekend, one of the main photographers for the show's flickr and the FuckYeah tumblr for the show that a friend of mine runs, if you're on tumblr and want to see the best stuff posted. Also the current link for some official merchandise (official WorkJuice coffee, fridge magnets, stuff like that.)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 25, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Annakie posted:

Any time Croach gets to let loose, start emoting and says what's actually on his mind is one of my favorite things. Leospeare, when you get there, make sure you don't skip "Tales from the TroubleShooters!" after "Murder in his Place". I accidentally did the first time and was really confused when something big happened in the next Sparks episode.

Oh, I'm catching all of the Sparks spinoffs. The only things I'm skipping are the War of Two Worlds (they're okay, just very different from the rest of TAH) and Colonel Tick-Tock, which I can't seem to get interested in for some reason. I might go back and listen to them after I've finished the rest. I did listen to the Colonel Tick-Tock episode with Nikola Tesla and Ben Franklin (mostly for the MST3k guest stars) and I loved the bit where Tick-Tock is trying to explain Charlie Brown to Tesla.

I've been humming the theme songs to Sparks Nevada, Moonshine Holler and Captain Laserbeam nonstop for the past week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

* The We Love Fine store is now open! Definitely going to be picking up a big poster, might wait on a shirt for a bit to see if they print some Ladies Tees.

* ICYMI, a new Sparks Nevada ep was released Monday. The the long-awaited return of Techs! I'm really hoping next episode is Pemily and Croach fighting over who's Sparks' best friend for 20 minutes and Sparks being really smug about it.

* Found out that if you download the actual episode of the This American Wife podcast that featured the interviews with Frank & Sadie and Sparks & Croach, there's also a Banjo & Gummy interview, a Paul & Paget interview and a Acker & Blacker interview. So if you need something more to listen to, be sure to grab that.

* Also, Paul F. Tompkins' Dead Authors podcast is pretty great. I've only listened to three of them. One of them has Hal Lublin and Marc Evan Jackson as Charles Dickens and O Henry. One, which is actually on the TAH podcast, has Craig Cackowski, Mark Gagliardi, Hal Lublin and Mark McConville as the Bible's Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. One has Marc as Gore Vidal. They're all great. I'm going to go back and listen to more of them once I get through with a few more episodes of other stuff.

• Locked thread