Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just listened to the pilot episode and immediately linked it to a bunch of people I know. This is an awesome concept. It really makes me miss cool anthology shows actually being a thing on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What does Cecil really look like? I always imagined him as a Rod Serling type.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUvUcJTgqA

Hey, Mr. F, did the last live show get recorded? If so, will it get up on the Youtube at some point?

Ok yeah, that looks similar to what I expected. Less hair and more mustache, but other than that I can see it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Republican Vampire posted:

To be fair there have been podcasts that break the mold before. They just sorta sucked.

Personally I'm kinda really hoping for old fashioned radio drama to pick up again as a podcast format. I mean radio shows/podcasts like This American Life and Wiretap regularly run fictional segments,so what's stopping a full on radio play?

I want serials to come back. I'm honestly amazed the rights holders haven't tried to resurrect something like The Shadow in it's original radio serial format as a podcast yet, honestly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Well there goes my fanfic. Thanks a lot.

50 Shades of Night Vale.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly, since apparently some people have problems with that. I think it must be very weird for actors who play fictional characters with their same names, like Jerry Seinfeld, and even weirder for an actor to play a character with their name that they didn't create.

This is why the actor who plays Dennis on It's Always Sunny specifically didn't want his characters name to be his real name like the rest of the cast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

Nope.

But then, I feel like he should just be a framed mouth and a microphone, like the DJ in The Warriors.

This is exactly how I picture him. Beyond that I don't know, or want to know, what he looks like.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any possibility of Minnesota?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

docbeard posted:

By a similar token, there are sometimes as many as three months during the year when Minneapolis is not a frozen wasteland.

This is true. In fact if you were to schedule them at the end of this tour you might even see grass if you were to come here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love Welcome to Nightvale high :2bong:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well you know you've made it when you have lovely knockoffs, I was looking at new comedy podcasts and right up near top is "Welcome to Nightvale High" apparently.

This is the second time this has been brought up so I finally looked it up and holy poo poo, this is shameless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, well, I'm sure they asked for permission before they created this.

Considering every episode description is pretty much "please don't sue us!" and they say nothing about having even asked permission, and maxnmona saying he had no idea what it was when it was last mentioned...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You're bad at jokes.

I figured there was a 50/50 shot, and hedged my bets on "just in case they are serious."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Len posted:

How do I make Condos appear in the same category as the rest of the series on iTunes? Like all I want is for it to be a podcast and be under the Welcome to Night Vale section. How do I make that happen?

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Len posted:

PC. I set its audio type to podcast and made every possible thing I could fill in "Welcome to Night Vale" and the only way I could even find it was to make a smart playlist.

Find the folder in your iTunes folder where it keeps your downloaded podcasts in File Explorer. Drag and drop Condos into there. Then right click one of the podcasts that were from iTunes and make note of every single setting it has in the "more information" screen. Then apply those same things, artist, type, genre, etc. to the Condos mp3. Then add it manually to your iTunes library, and it SHOULD show up in there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A while back someone in here suggested another podcast that was horror themed. They did a lot of lovecraft adaptations and the like. Anyone remember the name of this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dragon_pamcake posted:

You're not thinking about Pseudopod, are you? They read some really good horror stories.

No, that doesn't sound right. They did some original stuff as well, and rewrote things to be like radio plays.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Annakie posted:

You might be thinking of The Thrilling Adventure Hour, which is all done in the style of old-time radio. The segment Beyond Belief is all about a couple who faces supernatural threats, some of which are Lovecraftian in nature. The episode before last was called "When Cthulhu Cthalls" and was all about some Old Ones rising.

But, it's also a comedy podcast and actually not all that scary. :)

This morning's WTNV episode was amazing, by the way. I can't wait for Cecil to officially join the revolution. It's gotta happen soon. Also, live show spoilers: Between Tamika's amazing speech and Cecil again slyly calling for action, I really, really can't wait for the uprising.

Nah, I already listen to that. This one did original stuff as well, but it also did real adaptations and was actually horror based.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In real life a numbers station wouldn't have a call sign because it's a short wave station ran by the government, not a commercial radio station on FM or AM radio.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I don't like about the Cecil/Carlos relationship is the fact that I can already tell Carlos is probably going to die whenever the poo poo that is looming on the horizon actually goes down. But then again maybe being a Joss Whedon fan has just ruined me when it comes to accepting that fictional character sometimes get to have relationships that aren't horribly destroyed the moment they find happiness...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

There's no way they're going to kill off Carlos unless they want to alienate most of the audience. They already fake-killed him and that was distressing enough.

There's no way Joss Whedon will kill off Angel/Tara/Anya/Cordelia/Wash unless they want to alienate a big part of the audience :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea but the Nightvale people know how to write a satisfying story without lovely surprise murder so, ya know.

If you do a story where there is a large amount of danger and don't kill SOMEONE who is a major "untouchable" member of the cast, then the next time you do something where there is danger no one is going to believe it. Whedon overused it, but it's a sound principle. I don't actually think it'll be Carlos who gets it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the major named characters get offed when all this stuff finally pops off. And if not then next time they try and do a story line like this I probably won't care because everyone will most likely get out safe again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

President Ark posted:

According to some dude on tumblr, it's:

Tamika needs you
Radon Canyon in 2 hour
Go to Radon Canyon
Destroy Strex
then a few “now now now”
and then, at the end, during the endnotes, “fall 2015”

I really hope that it doesn't take them another year and a half to get to the end of this story line, like that last note seems to be implying. I can get behind a slow burn, but man...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I think that it's entirely reasonable to assume that Sparks Nevada was chosen for some higher purpose by angels.

He IS sworn by the burs of his astrospurs. Maybe that's what the angels call people for.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hope they keep Cecil gone for at least 3 months. Not so long that it becomes too much, but long enough that we all really start to miss him and get super hype for his return.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Also, it isn't like there's a one time only, super hyped live extravaganza being performed after 2 more episodes have come out.

Yes but the live stuff has never been set definitively when they are recorded.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any idea when tickets for the MN show are going up?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Got my ticket for Minneapolis. Hell yeah.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Action Yak Police posted:

poo poo, I should really start reading that series. I've been avoiding it since Stephen King usually has real trouble with endings but he's got a second guy on board so maybe he'll fix that problem?

If you're looking for a good ending, The Dark Tower is not something you should read.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...I disagree.

You're one of the few. Didn't King add a forward to newer editions of the book acknowledging that a vast majority of people hated it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I am missing it too because a Jewish holiday, but I am going to the fanfic reading this week. Anyone going to that? Want to listen to a goon read slash fiction? It would make Lowtax's head explode.

I was going to ask if this is a thing that really exists, but of course it is. Then I was going to ask why it is a thing that exists, but I already know the answer to that too. Humanity is doomed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh thank god. I was thinking it was something much...darker. And not done tongue in cheek. I'm very glad to be wrong.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

Oh! No, I don't think they're going to be reading our fanfic anytime soon, for any amount of money.

I didn't think they would be doing it. I was thinking of just a group of people getting together to give readings of their own fan fic. Which I'm sure does actually happen...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

docbeard posted:

Well now I'm looking forward to the Minneapolis show on the 15th even more.

Same. I really liked her last weather song.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

geist hirsche posted:

Just a heads up for anyone going to the Minneapolis show, especially for anyone coming from out of town, be prepared for traffic and parking to be a nightmare downtown. The baseball All-Star game is going on on the same night at Target Field and there will be road closures and I'm assuming a general mess.

Bus it is!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So what other MN goons are going to be at the show on Tuesday?

Also, to those of you that have gone to one of the live shows before, do they have all the merch from the online store there? And what are the prices like?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a GBS 2.0 or FYAD thread about this con disaster? Because I feel like there should be.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Yes there is. It doesn't seem like any of them are aware of this thread or that Night Vale is a production of One Of Us, and that might not be the worst thing in the world, to be perfectly honest. But as another onlooker pointed out, goons have a seventh sense when it comes to spotting failed projects.

It seems like everyone in there gets that it's all DashCon being gently caress ups.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

I dunno man, Chicago in the summer is usually pretty loving awful.

(Though I understand this summer had been freakishly cool and delightful?)

I don't know about Chicago, but compared to the last two years of hell, Minneapolis has been lovely this year. I'd assume it's similar over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well Minneapolis isn't built on top of reclaimed swampland (is it?). Humidity does become an issue.

Nah, but we've got all those rivers and lakes around. Humidity is usually the killer here too. From my understanding we are kind of the lite version of Chicago, minus the wind. We get the worst extremes of both Summer and Winter.