Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Night Vale has in the last few months ripped through my Mid-atlantic->New England geeky friend groups. It wasn't until tonight when I just listened to the time traveler episode that I learned there was an SA connection to Night Vale and searched up the thread.. This show is outstanding.

I've wanted to do something for this but was stuck on writing, but had a friend who wrote a short piece into the universe (after about episode 6), so I dramatized in my best Cecil homage and mixed a four minute fan-made minisode.

Edit: I have regular access to a sound booth (from which I recorded this). It seems like y'all are pretty saturated with such offers, but if there's something I could do directly for the show, I'd be happy to

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Look Under The Rock posted:

My little sister just got into wtnv a few weeks ago and I get constant emails about it. She is 13. Middle school is tough, and she seems to have found a little home in night vale, away from real mental chaos, much like I did. It's amazing to me how this show gets people through stuff. For something so consistently creepy, it is also consistently comforting.

Because it's a form of comfort that exposes how much pretense goes into constructing the idea that things are actually alright.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I am looking forward to ongoing Mayoral race coverage.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Cassette is one of the most legitimately creepy things I have heard in a long time and it's also an incredible example of the worldbuilding. I always wondered what was behind the Ralph's.

And Cecil's first words after he stops the tape for the last time are chilling beyond belief... I might use that episode to introduce people to the show this halloween.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Talking about the secret police, I have an old surplus-store gas mask and it's pretty easy to get a flat Navy uniform with the surplus stores around base. Next year, a member of the NVSSP may be giving out candy to frightful, unknowing children.

I have an vaguely military styled A|X shirt with a velcro strip above the left breast pocket that, by default, goes with an A|X branded piece of Velcro that I don't wear because I don't like being a walking Fashion ad. I now need to find a way to get the night vale logo on a velcro back. Thank you goon sir for the inspiration.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, unfortunately we've had one of those at a few of our shows.

Please don't do that everyone.

"But you see" said another man, who was wearing a fedora, "it's OK to wear a racist costume when you're cosplaying as a character, the major point of whom is that he wears a racist costume. Here, let me explain…”

But the other fans moved a little ways up the sidewalk, so they could no longer hear the man.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
are you sure it's you kicking yourself?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
If you want to get someone in from the "Scary" angle, I would start them off with Cassette actually, then when they work their way back up to it it will BLOW THEIR loving MIND.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I haven't noticed much crossover between here and the Trad Games/Mafia community on SomethingAwful but I'm going to be running a Welcome to Night Vale flavored play by post Mafia (AKA Werewolf) game there soon. If this holds any appeal for you, send me a PM to pre-sign up.

EDIT: I finished the role PMs earlier than I expected Sign-up here -- I will give priority to fans from this thread.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 19, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Great ep!

GO TAMIKA!

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Friend tweeted about wishing he could have Cecil on his Answering machine and there was a joke about needing to answer Limericks about Night Vale's news. I supplied:

The copters, they circle and vex
We're besieged, as if under a hex
Child armies are are leading
And never conceding
Tamika* will save us from ________

*(E37)

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a great movie.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, the "Missed Connections" page of Night Vale's Craiglist must be insane.

You were neither tall nor short, and neither fat nor thin. I saw you across a vacant street where dust swirled above the ground but below the void. I was wearing a tan jacket and carrying a deerskin leather briefcase. You probably don't remember anything about me, but I can't wait to see you again.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Action Yak Police posted:

I don't know if this stupid/obvious or anything, but the conflicting timelines and the newspapers in this episode made me think that in Cassette, maybe the tapes were from an alternate timeline/universe where Cecil died.
One person had a theory that Night Vale is a nexus point for numerous different universes and that makes sense to me, especially with the subways and "Europe" and such.

I think it's as possible we're supposed to believe that what we know as Cecil Gershwin Palmer is whatever it was that was behind him at 15. Maybe it even yet believes that it is Cecil Palmer, having replaced the memories of the family being driven apart with something marginally healthier, although he remembers with relative clarity that his mother warned him that his death would one day involve a mirror. The way he recounts that is coherent with the interpretation of some non human intelligence understanding the concept of "happy memories about things one's mother said about one's future." but not knowing entirely how to pick what things would qualify as happy.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Masquerade ball at my college SF con. 2 Eternal Scouts, an NVCR intern and... who... who is that?

vvvEdit: yeah I guess.. I thought there was someone.... my bad I guess.
it's really frustrating to have a costume that the best kind of acknowledgement is not being remembered.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 23, 2014

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Len posted:

Although it's funny to me that the fandom likes the relationship so much for being low key and as a result stresses it the most.

Not surprising. Normalizing same sex relationships is still important work. Just occasionally having gay people/relationships be present and visible, but not tokenized, stereotyped, or having the point of their existence in the work to be exploratory about their gayness is progressive. Ditto the large (relative to media in general) number of women bit players that someone else remarked on in thread not too long ago. This is going to play well in the social justice-heavy tumblr crowd.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Zorak posted:

I had assumed from the end of the episode that the whole "Niece" thing was a lie and it's just Cecil funding the rebellion against Strex Corp using it as a front. Plus it could also be a ruse to get station management to buy / consume something as some sort of ruse. Thus his attacking Steve Carlsberg was incidental because gently caress that guy.

I love this theory. I want to cuddle it and pet it while it floats 4 feet off the ground in the men's room at my office

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm too am hoping we eventually get to hear Marcus Vansten on the show.

I already imagine him as sounding like Nathan Fillion.

Hearing him as Cactoid Jim on TAH has kindled a new passion for him within me, and I hope this is how it works out.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I'll see some of you at the late NYC show I hope.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So everyone listening to this episode before the weather is like :slick: :hellyeah:
and apparently during the weather Night Vale is like :effort:
and then after the weather everyone listening is is like :smith: :ohdear:

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Listening to the debate right now.

Who was yelling at Steve Carlsberg? Was that one of Hiram's Heads or was that the second angriest we've ever heard Cecil? It was amazing regardless.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Bussamove posted:

That was totally Cecil. He hates Steve Carlsburg so much. That guy is such an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it was amazing.

Makes sense. I'm counting angry about Khoshekh cecil as number one, if that wasn't clear. Also it's amazing on so many levels because of the way the entire TAH crew ranks on Hal lublin in the Behind the scenes podcasts.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Listened to the Debate, and Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman telling each other they're beautiful was the cutest thing. :3: I also have a hard time hearing Marc Evan Jackson as anyone but Sparks Nevada, but that loving coffee table bit, holy poo poo. His voice is so perfect for that kind of thing, that kind of... deadpan petulance?

I think that it's entirely reasonable to assume that Sparks Nevada was chosen for some higher purpose by angels.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Len posted:

Why are we spoiler tagging something that is out and able to be listened to by everyone?

It's also still this past week released.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So I went to the gym today and I was like, "Hey, New night vale. Maybe I will listen to it on the treadmill. But the tone is so relaxed, Will this really energize me?"

....I ran HARD. I could not have dreamed more effective motivation than bashing in Kevin's stupid eyeless face hearing him instead of my beloved Cecil. Holy mother of gently caress.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Wandering Knitter posted:

The Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area.

The Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area.

Night Vale doesn't exist anymore. All of those characters we've heard about for the past two years are either in jail, a work camp, or lost in a strange desert.

Strexcorp won. :smithicide:

gently caress NO.
Carlos is still out there man he is going to talk to Dana and he's going to take the town back, possibly with the help of the masked army, and Khoshekh is still our eyes and ears and claws on the inside.

Don't you DARE give up on this town.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
In for the late show. Will be reprising most of my earlier costume and expect to be seen by all but clearly remembered by no one.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

DoctorWhat posted:

Here's me with Steve Carlsburg:

Hal Lublin gives 60 seconds of tour de force fanservice wherein he (non plot)does the voice of the faceless old woman, john peters, ALL of Hiram's heads, and Carlos. This is less surprising but no less impressive if you listen to Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Plot wise, I was tickled to no end that Marcus Vansted came back in Angel form to fight and then do the thing I won't even post under a spoiler yet. -- What? Don't you remember how he talked about how he would walk around the library? He would DEFINITELY be nude.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 5, 2014

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

a big fat bunny posted:

So I saw a very colorful Doctor flailing about heading into the show, a man in a tan jacket two rows ahead of me, and on good rear end show with a really good musical guest. My sister-in-law and I had a great time and even her husband and my wife enjoyed it even though they don't listen to the show.

Was I talking to you afterwards about TAH briefly?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Earwicker posted:

not sure if this is a "spoiler" or not (not really plot related) but it was one of my favorite moments in the show

The music adds so much to the show. Said it in person as you were leaving, but thanks again, and bravo.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Holy poo poo guys... replay value on this show. Listen to the lead in to and then the weather during "Parade day" after you know what happens/is happening during it. gently caress if I didn't tear up.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Annakie posted:

I knew that Hal is an amazing voice actor just from Thrilling Adventure Hour but that was a tour de force. And Steve's rage at Kevin about Janice was my favorite part... I teared up.

Great minds think alike.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Hal Lublin gives 60 seconds of tour de force fanservice wherein he (non plot)does the voice of the faceless old woman, john peters, ALL of Hiram's heads, and Carlos. This is less surprising but no less impressive if you listen to Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Also, my head canon is that Gummy is what happens after Steve Carlsberg leaves Night Vale.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I want to thank you guys for providing an extremely strong message in favor of consent culture. Serious props.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Wandering Knitter posted:

Until the show says otherwise I like to think that Frank and Sadie won the auction. :allears:

Headcanon'd.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

maxnmona posted:

What's happening this June in NYC is we're resting after a two month tour and I'll be getting married. You won't be able to get tickets.

Congratulations! May Station Management bless your union!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

nerdpony posted:

I agree -- everyone was really great, especially you and Jeffrey as interlocutors/masters of ceremonies/occasional performers. Cecil, Dylan, and Meg are all familiar to me from the podcast and various Neo-Futurist things (Thomas Pynchon really should have let you guys read at Selected Shorts, by the way), so it was especially interesting to see the things that made Night Vale Night Vale.

Seconding -- Thanks for a great show. Your poem about new york touched me deeply yet appropriately and yet non corporeally.