Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren: TEEN WOLF HAS BEEN RENEWED FOR A 24-EPISODE SEASON 3!!:siren:

Teen Wolf, the oh so prestigious Teen Choice Award-winning MTV show, has now completed its second season and is gearing up for its third. It's ostensibly based around the classic film, Teen Wolf, but is really more of a Buffy clone about a decade late to the gate. Yet, for all its faults, one thing is true: it is both genre-appropriately dorky and yet unfathomably entertaining. Yes, I am telling you with a straight face: watch Teen Wolf.

As one might imagine, it's about a teenage guy who is bitten by a werewolf and must learn to adjust to this new life. Thankfully, he's got a set of good friends on his side. Unfortunately, he has a hell of a lot of enemies too--including his girlfriend's crazy parents. It's a show about finding your place in the world, only with werewolves who play lacrosse. And no vampires! I consider that a bonus, personally. The writing might not win non-Teen-Choice-related awards, but damned if it isn't a good show to watch while chowing down on some popcorn with some friends. It's better than a show called Teen Wolf has any right to be.

What does this show have to offer? Well, the angst is kept surprisingly appropriate for the topic, the female characters are well-written compared to most, its treatment of the subject matter is fun without being patronizing (yet dark enough to be fulfilling), the side characters (such as a coach) are hilarious, the characters often act too smart instead of too stupid, the gore is pretty outstanding, it has lizard men, many people have complex motivations, and the guys take their shirts off ALL the time. And they are HELLA FINE.

I guess the ticket is that this is a guilty pleasure show. Especially for the other TV IV ladies around here. If you know what I mean. :q:

Where Can I Watch It?

MTV, TeenNick, or Netflix. Or you could always buy it on iTunes; it's not very expensive.

The Plot:

Scott is bitten by a werewolf while exploring a murder scene with his friend Stiles. He then encounters Derek, a resident werewolf, who is !mysterious!. A housefire is mentioned. poo poo goes down. Werewolf hunters are in town. An "Alpha" needs to be found. Locker room scenes. Men getting pushed up against lockers. Men taking their shirts off. Derek takes his shirt off. Flaming arrows! Molotov cocktails. An artlessly-realized "eyes flashing" effect. Derek gets his shirt taken off.

In Season 2, which is shaping up even better than Season 1, there's a mystery monster on the loose which is playing merry hell with the power dynamics of the town, which are split between at least three powerful contingents (and a few wildcards). Derek gets his shirt taken off.

The Who's Who:

Scott McCall:

Pictured left

Our main protagonist and the titular "teen wolf" although he, like the rest of the cast, appear closer to retirement than they are to the age sixteen. He plays lacrosse like a, well, lovely lacrosse player until he is bitten by a werewolf and becomes a lacrosse star! (I'm not going to lie, watching the lacrosse scenes are kind of fun.) His grades are terrible, especially in chemistry. His best friend is Stiles. He lives with his mother and his girlfriend is Allison. When photographed, his eyes, like those of other werewolves, appear to be lens flares. Right on!

Allison Argent:

Our competent and attractive female lead--the new girl at Scott's school. She is reasonable, loyal, caring, and a popular student despite her newcomer status. Her best friend is Lydia, though they start off as rather different. She (that being Allison) begins dating Scott early into the show, which is a bit problematic, since she comes from a family of werewolf hunters. Oops. Her dad is a massive cock, but her mother is even worse. Allison is also an excellent archer, so poor CGI arrows abound!

Lydia Martin:

Lydia is hot, preppy, popular, well-dressed, boy-driven, and--as it's revealed--a very skilled genius. She can ice skate with the best, bowl like a champion, and she's one of the finest math and science students the school has ever seen. This girl has a future, much as she's trying to hide it. She begins as a Cordelia-esque character, but never has the rough edge. She can be insensitive but she's good from the get-go. Lydia's a great one to have on your team. She is dating Jackson at the beginning of the show, thanks in part to his position as lacrosse captain.

Stiles Stilinski:

Our "teen wolf"'s best friend and well-performing (if dorky) student. He also plays lacrosse, but by virtue of not being a werewolf, is not very good at it. He's the general comic relief character and despite what that title would suggest, he is actually kind of funny and endearing. He's good-hearted and upbeat. He has a crush on Lydia, and has since third grade. His father is the sheriff of the city, which is very convenient for Scott and the others. He, like so many characters in the cast, is brown-eyed despite having blue-eyed parents. Oh, California....

Derek Hale:

The first friendly(ish) werewolf Scott encounters. Derek Hale begins as a beta werewolf who is trying to find the "alpha" in town. His entire family, except for his sister and uncle, were killed a brutal housefire which is a major plot point for season 1. He is mysterious and takes his shirt off often. The latter part is important. This guy is smokin'. He's basically like Angel from Buffy, only slightly less angst and way more smoulder.

Jackson Whittermore:

This guy takes his shirt off ALL the time. And boy, underneath... :allears:. I think he, uh... yeah!

But it's all about :

Peter Hale

Peter Hale is the alpha in season 1, and is revived at the end of season 2. He is so damned sassy! Also, his character is of legal age. So that's a plus.

He's a bit of a bad boy, in that he murders people, but y'know.

Why Should I Watch This Show?

• It's fun teenage drama. You know, like Buffy. Buffy was an entertaining show!
  • Hilariously bad CGI. Like, you wouldn't believe this was made in the 2010s.
  • Hilariously bad non-CGI! Yes, not even the traditional effects are immune!
  • The weird feeling you get when you're attracted to "high schoolers" who are in their mid twenties. They're sixteen but they're not! Oh god! Is this right? Is it so wrong?
  • They set up things well enough that there is an element of mystery when something strange is going on.
  • Stiles' father. A great character.
  • The Coach. An even greater character.
  • A gay character who is actually decently written?!
  • So far it's been improving, not getting worse. Cool.
  • A few jokes that land amazingly well.
  • They use technology intelligently; e.g. taking phone photos of stuff instead of copying it by hand.
  • Cool llllladies!
  • This:

So come join us for...

TEEN FAUN!
(That's an unusually bad screencap; don't worry.)

(Now featuring no-poo poo replica Narsil as a werewolf hunting sword. This show is not very high-budget, in case you didn't realize that.)

:toot: :toot: :toot: MACY'S MACY'S MACY'S :toot: :toot: :toot:

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It is a show that is infinitely better than being on MTV would lead one to believe. The story is more compelling than it has any right to be, they go about as bloody and well choreographed as they can on their budget, and like any *good* genre show it's basically wall to wall hot twenty somethings that can actually act. Definitely worth a watch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Boogaleeboo posted:

It is a show that is infinitely better than being on MTV would lead one to believe. The story is more compelling than it has any right to be, they go about as bloody and well choreographed as they can on their budget, and like any *good* genre show it's basically wall to wall hot twenty somethings that can actually act. Definitely worth a watch.

I think that's really the ticket. There's no way this show should have ended up as good as it is, yet there you have it. And the pilot doesn't really give a good indication of how well it's handled. The actors are pretty loving remarkable (with the exception of Scott, who is fine, and Allison's dad who I think is a little much... he's convincing, but too convincing, if that makes any sense). The character motivations always make sense. (I don't necessarily like how Ericka is being handled, but her talk about being an epileptic was smart, I thought.)

The season one plot was good, but season two is absolutely gripping. It's fun to have characters trapped in the middle of two sides which are not quite equally wrong. My favorite thing about the writing, though, is the clever little touches, such as:

- The person who said "I'm not sure if I can translate this..." who gets urged to "just try" actually does translate it incorrectly in a super important way.
- The bestiary was on a USB drive. This makes a lot of sense actually. Why wouldn't they digitize it?
- Using their phones to copy info with a picture instead of stealing the item.
- Jackson piecing together Scott being a werewolf with less evidence than you'd expect, as opposed to in shows like Buffy where normal people are apparently retarded.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This show looks very...white.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

This show looks very...white.

Deaton, the doctor/werewolf expert is black, as is one of the werewolves, Boyd and the guidance counselor in season 2. And Jackson's best friend (a character set up to join the main cast as tech expert) is native Hawaiian. So, rather white, but not as white as the OP suggests.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 12, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Main character is a bit of a mutt in real life, so I don't think he'd pass Aryan racial standards either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Boogaleeboo posted:

Main character is a bit of a mutt in real life, so I don't think he'd pass Aryan racial standards either.

Yeah, his mother is Mexican, right?

Anyway, I was surprised by how many of the main cast members have brown eyes. And not even amber-brown, but straight-up brown. Crystal Reed's eyes are like black or something.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
When I first heard that Teen Wolf was coming to television, I don't know why I immediately thought of Big Wolf on Campus, the show from the late 90s that aired on ABC Family.

I liked this show. It was campy, full of puns, and the main characters were always touchy-feely with each other that the fangirls didn't have to worry about shipping because it practically shipped itself.

But back to Teen Wolf...

Netflix has season 1 on instant streaming, and I've been slowly catching up. I'm excited to join the show discussion. I like what I see so far, even though it's only two episodes. MTV hasn't had a show this engaging since Undressed. :3:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I wrote about this in the general chat thread a few days ago. I really like Teen Wolf and like mentioned, it's really not the awful pile one might expect from an MTV production. It's solid, the cast is well put together, Jackson is an incredible dick (seriously, I have never wanted to see somebody in a show get punched in the nuts so bad) and now it has Colonel loving Tigh as Dear Ol' Grampy Sadist.

Glad to see a thread, and that I'm not alone here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

courtney_beth posted:

Netflix has season 1 on instant streaming, and I've been slowly catching up. I'm excited to join the show discussion. I like what I see so far, even though it's only two episodes. MTV hasn't had a show this engaging since Undressed. :3:

And I'm glad someone else is posting in this thread! I had no idea if anyone else here watched it (even though they should!) But oh man, wait until you get to season 2. I'm gnawing off my fingernails here.

Manos del Sino posted:

Jackson is an incredible dick (seriously, I have never wanted to see somebody in a show get punched in the nuts so bad)

Not even Allison's mom?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You'd lose the hand trying, whereas Jackson is incompetent enough to punch himself in the dick. Somehow.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Pick posted:

And I'm glad someone else is posting in this thread! I had no idea if anyone else here watched it (even though they should!) But oh man, wait until you get to season 2. I'm gnawing off my fingernails here.

I've just started on episode 2 (and when I said slowly, I hadn't realized I only was still on episode 1, woops) and am already in love. The show is too good for MTV. I'd expect this from ABC Family or something.

I'm not sure who I am suppose to like on this show, but Stiles is pretty cool. I'm sure things will change as I get further into the series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

courtney_beth posted:

I'm not sure who I am suppose to like on this show, but Stiles is pretty cool. I'm sure things will change as I get further into the series.

I think everyone has characters they like more or less than others, and it's designed to be that viewed that way. For example, some people love Derek, but I think he's kind of boring. Meanwhile, I think Jackson is great, even though he's a giant rear end in a top hat (Oh, Jackson, what are you going to do now you jerk?). Lydia is my favorite though :allears:.

Also, the special effects get way better Season 2, when they use more bodysuits and makeup and less CGI.

Anyway, some Serious Season 2 Questions:

• Why did the counselor get the translation wrong? Was it intentional?
  • Why was Lydia differently affected by the werewolf bite? What's happening to her?
  • How could she see Peter's dying face in her hallucinations when she never saw this happen?
  • Who was the boy that Lydia saw? There's definitely something "up" with him. The flower he picks isn't the same color as the flowers behind her. He is supposedly her neighbor but she hasn't seen him before. He lives "in the house back there"? He's very possibly a hallucination, but of what? Does it relate to Peter, as the other hallucinations do? Why the hell is he wearing a sheepskin jacket in California? Was the man she saw young Peter? If so, what is the relevance of that?
  • Why was Lydia unaffected by the toxin? (I think Aaron wants to kill her and faked the attempt; that is, she was never poisoned.) Why was Jackson affected by the toxin when we know he's a Kanima?
  • Is there only one Kanima? Could it be that Jackson got a different Kanima's toxin?
  • Was the Kanima actually going after Danny (vs. say, Danny's ex), and if so, why?
  • Why did it kill the mechanic? What was the advantage of that?
  • Who took the tablet with the video on it? What for?
  • Who edited the video originally? What for?
  • What was Lydia doing in the woods for those two days?
  • Is Grandpa Argent's pill-popping relevant? And what is his connection to the Kanima?
  • What is the photographer guy's deal? Is he after Allison as a crush or something different? Does he have an inkling of what's going on or is he a red herring?
  • Why is being adopted such a big loving deal to Jackson?
  • Who is this mysterious "Macy's" and why do signs for it keep appearing even in very odd yet conspicuous places?

Unfortunately, some interesting answers are almost certainly invalid because the writers wouldn't go there, which in some cases leaves few alternatives. For example, that guidance counselor is definitely up to Some poo poo. However, I think Mr. Harris is a second Kanima partially for plot reasons and partially for show-external reasons. He has mentioned he thinks Jackson needs to prove himself to someone, he quotes Einstein and the car bumper-sticker is an Einstein quote, and he isn't killing students from his class.

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2012

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I enjoy this show and I'm glad there's a thread for it. Stiles and the coach were kind of the litmus test for me since the humorous elements of a show like this make it or break it.

As far as Lydia, last season I got the sense they were leaning towards witchcraft, with her chemistry-out-of-nowhere skills being like potion-making. Last season was exclusively werewolves, so I wasn't sure if they were ever going to expand away from that, but obviously they have.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slamhound posted:

I enjoy this show and I'm glad there's a thread for it. Stiles and the coach were kind of the litmus test for me since the humorous elements of a show like this make it or break it.

As far as Lydia, last season I got the sense they were leaning towards witchcraft, with her chemistry-out-of-nowhere skills being like potion-making. Last season was exclusively werewolves, so I wasn't sure if they were ever going to expand away from that, but obviously they have.

Yeah, I was thinking someone was going to be a witch, but now I suspect it's the guidance counselor. They're being careful about which creatures they add, and I like that, but that one would still seem to fit in the universe they're making.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Yay, good-awful TV!

Re: Pick's questions, my observations: :words: so many words.
What's Up With Lydia hasn't gotten any resolution. But considering she was immune to the werewolf bite and the venom points to being Something Weird. Scott's fumbling to think of something to make Derek not kill her theorizes outloud she has some sort of not-natural immunity; Jackson's IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU RUIN EVERYTHING tirade earlier also put dialogue out there re:her having some immunity he figures she passed along to him. Her superintelligence points toward a seer-type capacity, largely uncontrolled; she breaks her mirror, leading to the viewer thinking her the Kanima. Spouting off philosophy to the guidance councilor, the previously mentioned chemistry awesomeness; she's smart, sure, and apparently learns anything and everything she puts her mind to, but like Peter's face, she stretches the limits of reality, and just knows and "sees" things she flatly should be unable to know without being somewhat supernatural at the least.

Given that Kanima-Jackson is looking to be under the thrall of whoever his "master" turns out to be, possibly to the point of having his memory suppressed while human if not also fully under their control, it's probably a given that whoever's pulling the strings wanted Danny dead in case he actually had watched the video on his tablet, which Jackson or the master had taken from the car. I'd assume killing off Jackson's nearest and dearest would make him easier to control -- I expect a "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE WE LOVE YOU" from his parents/Danny, honestly; maybe master dude is genre-savvy enough to see that coming, too.

Why take the tablet? Concrete proof of the supernatural, proof Jackson = Kanima, would make Scott's and Stiles' defense of "kidnapping" Jackson more believable, keeping Jackson's "secret identity" makes him more useful since it keeps him protected and also gives him greater access to people. His kills seem pretty focused on locals; it isn't put out if the hunter he ganked came from town or not, but seems likely. Crazy revenge-seeker? "Jerkasses who wronged me in the past, fly my pretty, kill!" When it looked like Lydia was the kanima, I assumed the killed garage guy might've been an ex-boyfriend, someone from an older class; there had to be a captain before Jackson, after all!

Jackson could've edited the video, being commanded to do so then forget. Alternatively, the dude who had the camera originally seems a good pick for being the master AND the editor; he knew that Jackson was taking it originally, said outloud he had the knowledge to screw with the video when they were discussing possibilities in the library, and knew Danny was working on recovering the cut footage.

Also "snakes can't be poisoned by their own venom" is Derek's conjecture based on random snake knowledge, not from any actual Kanima knowledge. Perhaps transformed Jackson would be immune, but in human form he's just normal. To consider: he's still bitchy about being "normal" before the last episode... but during his emo lacrosse fest, he can lift his car himself, but doesn't remark on it later. I put another point in the master dude being able to gently caress him memory possibility. Hopefully Lydia's full translation will explain more about Kanima. Most definitely Grandpa Argent's already gone through the text, and I expect it will reveal that Jackson has no control with the master's domination, and knew that if he wasn't aggressive towards the Kanima or got in the way, and wasn't previously a target, he would be ignored.

Consider: He ignored Erica once she was knocked out at the pool and ignored Stiles at the mechanic's shop. Stiles' conjecture that the Kanima was trying to keep him in the pool where he was "safe" points to some level of resistance in Jackson; the kanima can hunt intelligently, based on being able to use windows, doors, and vehicle lifts. If it really Stiles dead alongside Derek, why not hide until he dragged Derek out? He would've gotten in the way and gotten himself killed. Stiles says he saw recognition in the Kanima's eyes. Ergo my expectation for a "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE" moment.

I'd like to pretend the possibilities for all these theories and questions points to good writing, but I'm not that delusional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

erazure posted:

Yay, good-awful TV!

Re: Pick's questions, my observations: :words: so many words.
What's Up With Lydia hasn't gotten any resolution. But considering she was immune to the werewolf bite and the venom points to being Something Weird. Scott's fumbling to think of something to make Derek not kill her theorizes outloud she has some sort of not-natural immunity; Jackson's IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU RUIN EVERYTHING tirade earlier also put dialogue out there re:her having some immunity he figures she passed along to him. Her superintelligence points toward a seer-type capacity, largely uncontrolled; she breaks her mirror, leading to the viewer thinking her the Kanima. Spouting off philosophy to the guidance councilor, the previously mentioned chemistry awesomeness; she's smart, sure, and apparently learns anything and everything she puts her mind to, but like Peter's face, she stretches the limits of reality, and just knows and "sees" things she flatly should be unable to know without being somewhat supernatural at the least.

I agree that it would be insane if they had that educational school video about immunity in there if it had no application later on (plus the conversation you mentioned). And it seems obvious that, given the thrust of Season 2, it has to relate to the Kanima, hence Jackson, thus almost certainly Lydia. I mean, who else among the cast is relevant AND has a connection like that? At this point, there's no question that Lydia is supernatural in some way, for reasons you mentioned. (I mean, these can't be "normal" hallucinations. It would be too nonsensical even for a show like Teen Wolf.) Tangentially, this is also a reason I expect Danny to join the main cast. If Lydia, Jackson, Derek, and Scott are all supernatural beings, with Allison as another weirdie (despite not being outright supernatural), then that leaves Stiles as the only "normal" human, and that's getting a little too slim to keep the show grounded. He'll probably get sub-Jackson/Lydia-level screentime, but I expect he'll be let in on things. Relatedly, what the gently caress is with them not telling Lydia what is going on? Jesus loving christ! I like Allison, but in the last episode when she was all "WELL YOU DON'T GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT IT" I was like, dude! Dude, Allison! Dude!

quote:

Given that Kanima-Jackson is looking to be under the thrall of whoever his "master" turns out to be, possibly to the point of having his memory suppressed while human if not also fully under their control, it's probably a given that whoever's pulling the strings wanted Danny dead in case he actually had watched the video on his tablet, which Jackson or the master had taken from the car. I'd assume killing off Jackson's nearest and dearest would make him easier to control -- I expect a "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE WE LOVE YOU" from his parents/Danny, honestly; maybe master dude is genre-savvy enough to see that coming, too.
Haha, seriously. I will eat my hat if that scene doesn't happen. But you're right--there was good reason for the master to want the tablet taken and anyone who had seen the video destroyed. But still, it makes me a bit suspicious, because killing Danny seems unusually rough for most of our primary suspects. I'm still feeling Mr. Harris is the master/2nd Kanima (which I suspect is a thing, partially because I'd be surprised if they really want to make Jackson a killer if they balked at that for Aaron even) and Danny is one of the students he seems to tolerate. But who knows!

quote:

Why take the tablet? Concrete proof of the supernatural, proof Jackson = Kanima, would make Scott's and Stiles' defense of "kidnapping" Jackson more believable, keeping Jackson's "secret identity" makes him more useful since it keeps him protected and also gives him greater access to people. His kills seem pretty focused on locals; it isn't put out if the hunter he ganked came from town or not, but seems likely. Crazy revenge-seeker? "Jerkasses who wronged me in the past, fly my pretty, kill!" When it looked like Lydia was the kanima, I assumed the killed garage guy might've been an ex-boyfriend, someone from an older class; there had to be a captain before Jackson, after all!
I also thought that would be good evidence for it being Lydia, except that I didn't think they'd make Lydia a killer. It was a little too cruel for the show, especially since they were setting her up for having another purpose early on. Keeping her on as a murderer, even an unintentional one, seems a little dark for her just yet. To me it's less "why take it?" and more like "who?" There are a lot of people who stood to benefit, even photographer guy for reasons that could be completely disconnected from what else is going on. He's suspicious as hell, anyway. And right now I'm not thinking Grandpa Argent is the master, though I think he's trying to manipulate the master.

quote:

Also "snakes can't be poisoned by their own venom" is Derek's conjecture based on random snake knowledge, not from any actual Kanima knowledge. Perhaps transformed Jackson would be immune, but in human form he's just normal. To consider: he's still bitchy about being "normal" before the last episode... but during his emo lacrosse fest, he can lift his car himself, but doesn't remark on it later. I put another point in the master dude being able to gently caress him memory possibility. Hopefully Lydia's full translation will explain more about Kanima. Most definitely Grandpa Argent's already gone through the text, and I expect it will reveal that Jackson has no control with the master's domination, and knew that if he wasn't aggressive towards the Kanima or got in the way, and wasn't previously a target, he would be ignored.
Yeah, this seems very likely. I do wonder if they'll be able to cure Jackson, and if not, will he need a "new" master? Who could they possibly assign who wouldn't make things kind of messed-up? And yet I would be surprised if they undo his change, because I think that they are going to want to keep him suffering for his hubris. It's quality angst material for a show that is pretty much designed to capitalize on such. Also, I did find Derek's hypothesis pretty amusingly stupid, because snakes don't swallow their own venom; they inject it. And snakes can certainly kill other snakes of the same species with a bite. I'd love for someone to be like "Derek, you're an idiot, that's why your test didn't work, diddle-brain."

quote:

I'd like to pretend the possibilities for all these theories and questions points to good writing, but I'm not that delusional.
I'm hoping that about 33% of this is cleverness. If they manage even that much, it'll probably be a drat fine watch :buddy:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 7, 2012

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
With the focus on Jackson's adoption hangup, I'd say there's a good possibility that the Master is one of his birth parents. It would reasonably reconcile the translation error; "parent" could be read as a combination of "friend" and "master." In this case, Lydia's supposed affect on him would be a misdirection.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slamhound posted:

With the focus on Jackson's adoption hangup, I'd say there's a good possibility that the Master is one of his birth parents. It would reasonably reconcile the translation error; "parent" could be read as a combination of "friend" and "master." In this case, Lydia's supposed affect on him would be a misdirection.

This occurred to me, but in that case, who would qualify? I have a hard time believing they'd use someone new this late in the season.

Interestingly, on the subject of family in Teen Wolf, the writers have stated that the abnormally large number of single-parent homes (Scott, Lydia, Stiles, Aaron) was intentional and have suggested that it may soon grow (:ohdear:).

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
This show is much better than it has any right to be, but I think it would be much improved if Scott and Stiles would end all the sexual tension between them and just gently caress already. Scott and Allison have no chemistry; Scott and Stiles, on the other hand...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Judging from the gay bar scene, I will be very surprised and disappointed if we don't get at least one melodramatic gay kiss on this show :colbert:.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

All of the not-plot-related Stiles action in the gay club scene was extremely awesome.

"Really, Scott? You think?" Morosely remains getting pet by drag queens.

:xd:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

erazure posted:

All of the not-plot-related Stiles action in the gay club scene was extremely awesome.

"Really, Scott? You think?" Morosely remains getting pet by drag queens.

:xd:
That was great :haw:.

Also, an unlikely outcome for Jackson, but I think it would be deliciously angst-acious if he were adopted for his dormant powers, and his adoptive father is the "master". And this was how his father actually knew Jackson was missing.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't forget to catch Teen Wolf tonight! The episode is called "Restraint" and I'm told that it's more of a bottle episode, but that doesn't mean it won't be awesome :toot:.

TEEN WOLF!

e: It's not a bottle episode at all! Who said this to me?!

Pick fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 10, 2012

Sia
May 16, 2005
I'm fine, how are you?
Jackson is such a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
That locker room brawl was actually pretty cool. The fight choreography in the show could be better, but then I remind myself I'm watching MTV and realize I'm pretty impressed. Next week looks good too - I prefer when there's lots of Argents in the episode.

So who is controlling the kanima? I have a few suspects, everyone from creeper photography guy to the chemistry teacher to Grandpa Argent.

And wtf is the deal with Lydia, is she literally seeing ghosts?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reactions to tonight's Teen Wolf! :

• That was an insanely intense intro. Way better than I expected from a show like this. That was like real-horror-movie quality, not "MTV reboot of Teen Wolf" quality.
  • Haha, the condom scene!
  • I don't know how they can expect Lydia to keep doing all this poo poo for them when they won't even tell her what's going on when it's SUPER RELEVANT to her.
  • Allison has perfect grades too? That's Lydia, Stiles, Allison, and we're also told Jackson's grades are good. Is Scott the only dumbfuck? I kind of hope so because he's my least favorite of the main cast. Ohohoh.
  • As much of a cock as Mr. Harris is, I can see where he's coming from. Scott comes across as such a jerk from his point of view.
  • The locker fight scene was amazing :aaa:
  • The guy who plays Jackson is a surprisingly good actor for a guy who got his start doing photo shoots for "gay interest" magazines.
  • Photographer dude is hella bad news.
  • I like how Lydia called out that dude for being creepy as poo poo.
  • I love those pop-chip things. I didn't even notice it was product placement for a second. Yum yum yum.
  • It actually kind of makes sense how they're getting some of these records. That's kind of cool.
  • UGH THAT SNAKE GROSS :gonk:
  • Allison's mother is so terrifying. Jesus. I liked the aggressive pencil sharpening though.
  • MR. HARRIS' CAR. I AM TOO GOOD AT THIS. AHAHAHAHA!
  • Creepy puppet Jackson!
  • I think Lydia got the memories of the alpha from Peter and they're manifesting in some crazy way.
  • ... Man. This show got hardcore. First Ericka's arm and now the pregnant lady? drat.
  • HOLY GOD that was a creepy ending.

Manos del Sino posted:

That locker room brawl was actually pretty cool. The fight choreography in the show could be better, but then I remind myself I'm watching MTV and realize I'm pretty impressed. Next week looks good too - I prefer when there's lots of Argents in the episode.

So who is controlling the kanima? I have a few suspects, everyone from creeper photography guy to the chemistry teacher to Grandpa Argent.
I thought it was Harris and still do. But it might be whoever it was who killed Jackson's parents (accidentally or purposefully).

I like how they're balancing Jackson; I like him, but he's enough of an rear end that I like to see him suffer, too.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly think it's the chemistry teacher. For a random character he gets a lot of screen time and always seems to be involved in a main plot line one way or another. I honestly thought he was the alpha in season one so it makes sense unless they are going to just cock tease everyone with him each season.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

It's definitely Mister Harris. After Jackson-kanima fled Stiles' house at the end of Derek's failed attempt to kill Lydia, a car pulls up and he gets all touchy to the driver's window. That car and Harris' both had the bumpersticker they give a meaningful closeup to as he pulls away from the school.

Unless the writers are just assholes and put that in just to be dicks.

The last Lydia scene leads to the question that if she's not JUST crazy and Peter's intelligence has somehow infected her brain and was honest in his Xanatos gambit reveal monologue, how would he had have known about her immunity beforehand? The plot doesn't so much thicken as ... clot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I honestly think it's the chemistry teacher. For a random character he gets a lot of screen time and always seems to be involved in a main plot line one way or another. I honestly thought he was the alpha in season one so it makes sense unless they are going to just cock tease everyone with him each season.

Also, I expect that Scott will "fail" chemistry--DUN DUN DUNNN! HAVE TO BE HELD BACK A YEAR!! ... and then not when Mr. Harris dies/escapes (which he has to at this point, if he's a killer), because when your teacher dies things go a little weird.

erazure posted:

The last Lydia scene leads to the question that if she's not JUST crazy and Peter's intelligence has somehow infected her brain and was honest in his Xanatos gambit reveal monologue, how would he had have known about her immunity beforehand? The plot doesn't so much thicken as ... clot.
They've actually been surprisingly good at remembering who knows what (such as Danny not recognizing Derek... but of course he wouldn't, because he never saw Derek before and photos of Derek don't work). So I think there might be a reason he would know. (To be fair, she did live right next to them also... he might have inoculated her or something like that when she was a baby.)

e: There is a theory though that the master is an Argent, possibly Allison's mother, because of Jackson's flip-out regarding Scott. If that wasn't Jackson controlling Jackson, it has to be someone who knows that Scott is a werewolf, know Allison's family is made of werewolf hunters, knows that their relationship is still in progress, and INTENSELY wants it to end.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 10, 2012

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Gerald is actually my leading choice.

Mr. Harris is too obvious and probably a red herring, much like last season. On the other hand, Grampy Argent had that whole stare-down moment with the kanima and it seems clear that he's a lot more in-the-know about what they are facing than anybody else in the house. Plus, none of this started to present itself until he showed up. Could just be coincidence, but he's my prime suspect.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Manos del Sino posted:

Mr. Harris is too obvious and probably a red herring, much like last season. On the other hand, Grampy Argent had that whole stare-down moment with the kanima and it seems clear that he's a lot more in-the-know about what they are facing than anybody else in the house. Plus, none of this started to present itself until he showed up. Could just be coincidence, but he's my prime suspect.

He wouldn't be the worst red herring, either, since Harris has been shown coming to Jackson's defense before (season 1). However, Gerard seems a little too blankly evil to be the one responsible. I'd be disappointed, anyway. Especially since I thought the Season 1 twist was pretty good. Nice and tortured but not stupid.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I revise my Lydia theory and think that she's also a kanima. Why?

• Jackson's hallucinations in the library lead to him getting apparently controlled by someone else. Lydia's hallucinations seem to be taking more and more control over her, or at least her common sense and force of personality is going downhill as she goes more and more "crazy."
  • Jackson suffers memory loss when he's gone kanima-y. Lydia has memory loss with the two days in the woods, and why/when she punched out her mirror; it isn't clear if she remembers all of her hallucinations or not.
  • The mirror is also a know source of problem to a kanima, which made Lydia look even more like the kanima until she was human and one crawled out of Stiles' window.
  • She's been bitten, but didn't turn or die, like Jackson.
  • If Derek's snake-poisoning-itself theory is actually correct, then the reason Lydia was immune but not Jackson could point to the fact that venom was Lydia's, not Jackson's.
  • A kanima kills an Argent hunter, but then a kanima tries to kill Derek, and then fully human yet master-controlled Jackson goes on a rant at Allison, with info and apparent motivations that sound very Argenty, like Pick noted, but snaps out of it indicating he WAS under someone's control. However, based on the bumper sticker, Mr. Harris seems like the kanima. Doesn't make sense for there to be just one kanima but...
  • .. it could point to a kanima not being "locked" into having one master, alternatively. Mr. Harris or another master goes after the Argents with Jackson, then Gerard or another one figures out what's up and with their crazy hunter knowledge figures out how to take control of him themselves, and use him to try to kill Derek and menace Allison away from Scott.

Also, does anyone have any idea WTF was up with the opening scene people?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

erazure posted:

Also, does anyone have any idea WTF was up with the opening scene people?

I think it's to establish that someone is trying to make another Kanima by killing a pregnant mother from whom a live baby can be born (in the fashion of Jackson's gruesome birth)... or maybe just to establish more of the Kanima "rules" Gerard referenced.

I do really like your theory that Jackson is still "seeking" a master and doesn't have just one set one yet. Gerard implied that the Kanima could be manipulated; maybe he knows it doesn't have a master yet and is therefore receptive to anyone who looks like they might be able to assert that position?

I suspect that there could be some emotional-leverage-style advantage to the Argents killing one of their own (especially to Chris and Allison). However, I don't know why they'd kill Aaron's dad.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 10, 2012

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Okay, I'll come out of the Teen Wolf closet and admit I watch this show. But only because I just found this thread, thanks Pick! ;) Like the rest of you I'm surprised at how good this show is, especially for being on MTV. That has hindered me getting other people to watch this, especially my boyfriend. I got him to watch Vampire Diaries and he seems to have drawn the line there. I'll keep working on him though. This is usually done through watching it while he's in the same room and eventually he moves closer and closer to the TV with each episode. Then when he's reaaal close I turn the episode off half way through and give him a :raise: when he complains. It's a slow manipulation but it works.

I'm not liking what they are doing to Derek this season. He's one of my favorite characters, if for nothing else than the hot factor. What? I can be shallow if I want to be. :colbert: I hope they pull him back toward the 'good' side. I do love it though when he sends his new cronies after Scott and Scott kicks their asses.

I also agree that I really like what they do with the women on this show. They are all strong and can take care of themselves. Even irritating werechick. Lydia may not be physically strong but she can think them all under the table. I loved when Allison used the Kanima juice on the arrow.

I think Stiles might be one of my favorite characters. He reminds me of something out of an '80s movie. Some of my favorite scenes actually are between he and his dad. They have great father/son chemistry together.

I want more scenes with the mysterious vet! Also, does father Argent remind anyone else of Wesley from the latter part of Angel? When he gets all scruffed up and bad rear end?

And how the gently caress does Lydia not know about werewolves yet? Or at least something weird? She was at the school when the Alpha trapped them in, she was frickin' attacked and bitten by him later and has been around all this weird poo poo. She has to suspect something. Just tell the poor girl already! Maybe she'll be a bit less cray-cray. Or at least tell you exactly how cray-cray she's been lately.

Manos del Sino posted:

Well, I can't exactly blame the Kanima. Even when Tigh only had one eye his stare was scary as gently caress!

Honestly though, I don't think he's the master. I think the Kanima was still seeking it's master at that time and was reacting to the fact that Gerard is an assertive, dominating leader type. Either seeking or the bond wasn't completely strong yet. They said this episode that the South American priest used the Kanima to kill those convicted of murder but eventually the bond between them got strong enough that it would kill anyone the priest told it too. I think they tried to tip their hand toward Gerard to early, but I think it's going to make some drama between him and the rest of the family. Man, he makes the rest of the family look sane. I have to give it up to the actress who plays Allison for standing her ground during the scenes where he goes all crazy on her. He's sooo loving intense in those scenes.

Doesn't the chemistry teacher (Mr. Harris?) know about the supernaturals? I seem to remember an encounter with him and the Argents but I could be misremembering something.

I don't think I can even guess at some of the stuff they're going for as to who is doing what. They threw so many red herrings at us with the Alpha last season that the only person I didn't suspect at one time or another was Scott himself. Due to the bumper sticker it certainly seems like it's Mr. Harris and it would be lovely to pull a switch later and have two bumper stickers but who knows. The guidance counselor seems suspect due to her random appearance in the show and the mistranslation. I don't think it's photog boy. He's more collecting evidence that not all is right with Scott and company and will realize what's going on by the end of the season. He also seemed surprised when he read the tablet translation and seemed to not know what a Kanima was.

It seems weird that someone had an intent to make Jackson a Kanima. First they'd have to find a way for him to be bitten by a werewolf right? I mean, what are the chances of that? I'd think it's more a crime of opportunity.

Also, loved the locker room fight and Momma Argent is creepy as gently caress. She even looks like a total ball buster without even opening her mouth.

Edit: Wow...that's way more words than I ever expected to write about MTVs Teen Wolf.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
also, I've watched both seasons and I'm trying to figure out who Aaron is from the posts above?!?! Are yall talking about Isaac?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starksfergie posted:

also, I've watched both seasons and I'm trying to figure out who Aaron is from the posts above?!?! Are yall talking about Isaac?

You know, I was. I always get those two names confused because of the double "A"s. I have no idea why I do this :psyduck:.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
thanks, at least I wasn't going crazy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KilGrey posted:

I'm not liking what they are doing to Derek this season. He's one of my favorite characters, if for nothing else than the hot factor. What? I can be shallow if I want to be. :colbert: I hope they pull him back toward the 'good' side. I do love it though when he sends his new cronies after Scott and Scott kicks their asses.
I think he's stayed pretty "good" but yeah, I agree he's been both badly-utilized and under-utilized this season. I get the impression they're not actually sure what to do with him right now.

quote:

I also agree that I really like what they do with the women on this show. They are all strong and can take care of themselves. Even irritating werechick. Lydia may not be physically strong but she can think them all under the table. I loved when Allison used the Kanima juice on the arrow.
Ericka bugs me too, though her backstory works. I just wish they'd extended that into a better character post-bite. Lydia is not only smart, but she's very strong in a non-physical sense. Allison's kanima venom trick was amazing.

quote:

I think Stiles might be one of my favorite characters. He reminds me of something out of an '80s movie. Some of my favorite scenes actually are between he and his dad. They have great father/son chemistry together.
"You're not gay."
"Well I could be!"
"Not dressed like that." :rimshot:

quote:

And how the gently caress does Lydia not know about werewolves yet? Or at least something weird? She was at the school when the Alpha trapped them in, she was frickin' attacked and bitten by him later and has been around all this weird poo poo. She has to suspect something. Just tell the poor girl already! Maybe she'll be a bit less cray-cray. Or at least tell you exactly how cray-cray she's been lately.
Scott and the others not telling Lydia about this stuff is one of the most immoral things the main cast has done/is doing.

quote:

Doesn't the chemistry teacher (Mr. Harris?) know about the supernaturals? I seem to remember an encounter with him and the Argents but I could be misremembering something.
He talks to ... Derek? Or something? in season 1. I think it's implied that he might. I'm thinking he's a bit of a Snape character, in that he's a jackass who is ultimately good maybe? I'm suspicious of him being the master now that they've hinted it so much. It's like CSI; they can't figure it out until there's only five minutes left :colbert:.

quote:

I don't think it's photog boy. He's more collecting evidence that not all is right with Scott and company and will realize what's going on by the end of the season. He also seemed surprised when he read the tablet translation and seemed to not know what a Kanima was.
I think photog boy is going to be a wildcard and possibly a next-season villain/problem figure.

quote:

It seems weird that someone had an intent to make Jackson a Kanima. First they'd have to find a way for him to be bitten by a werewolf right? I mean, what are the chances of that? I'd think it's more a crime of opportunity.

That's a good point. But does that mean Jackson being a Kanima (which is assumed to be very rare) is just coincidence? Also, the text mentioned that a Kanima can't "fully transform" until it resolves blah blah something past blah something. Does that mean Jackson is going to someday be able to go... more snakey than snakeman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Pick posted:

That's a good point. But does that mean Jackson being a Kanima (which is assumed to be very rare) is just coincidence? Also, the text mentioned that a Kanima can't "fully transform" until it resolves blah blah something past blah something. Does that mean Jackson is going to someday be able to go... more snakey than snakeman?

It said that the Kanima can't complete it's transformation into a werewolf until it finishes it's unresolved issues. So I'd guess eventually he'll be able to turn into the were he's always wanted to be once he gets over his mommy/daddy issues.

And I'd think Jackson being a Kanima is a coincidence. If someone planned it that's a long time in the making and a lot of dominoes to knock down. First they'd have to kill his parents while not killing him in the womb, then make sure he actually has unresolved mommy/daddy issues to such a great extent it completely fucks him up THEN find a werewolf to bite him 16 or 17 years later and cross your fingers that this rare creature emerges instead of him turning into a werewolf right away or just straight up dying.

Not to mention him being bitten by a werewolf wasn't some "accidental" set up. He figured it out werewolves existed all on his own, sought Derek out and bargained with him for the bite. It wasn't some out of the blue thing that just happened to him like it was some grand orchestrated plan.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 12, 2012

• Locked thread