Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

KilGrey posted:

Does the mantra really need to be explained? Sure, it's nice to have someone break it down but it's not exactly confusing if you think on the words what it means.
...Yes? Characters in the show needed to have it explained to them. Buddhists in real life have a hard time grasping its meaning! It sounds like a pet name from Game of Thrones, for pete's sake; it's not a phrase you simply toss out to a ragequitting teenager and just expect them to feel it in their bones or something.

I mean, I'm sure it makes sense for the sophisticated logic of the Teen Wolf universe, but not for the logic of actual logic.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

...Yes? Characters in the show needed to have it explained to them. Buddhists in real life have a hard time grasping its meaning! It sounds like a pet name from Game of Thrones, for pete's sake; it's not a phrase you simply toss out to a ragequitting teenager and just expect them to feel it in their bones or something.

I mean, I'm sure it makes sense for the sophisticated logic of the Teen Wolf universe, but not for the logic of actual logic.

It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart was really good at minigolf, but only if he shorted out his brain by muttering a zen koan beforehand. Maybe he just couldn't be angry on account of having his mind blown. :aaaaa:

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Did anyone else think Peter looked/acted/sounded silly with his wolf face on? I thought it was really cheesy looking, his acting was really weird, the faces he made were just silly, and his voice sounded odd. I think it would've been cooler if he just started fighting with his human face and looked at everyone with their confused looks saying, "I'm always in wolf mode, bitches!"

Other than that specific thing, I liked the season finale - especially because Derek seems to be coming into an actually good role, and Tyler's really good at acting that part.
You could tell that Ian wasn't used to acting with the makeup and fangs. His RAWR face looks more like a hissing cat than a growling wolf. :catdrugs:

I'm actually pretty hyped about full-shift Derek, because I feel like this actually puts him on roughly equal footing with Scott. He's not an alpha, but he knows way more about being a werewolf and he has an actual legitimate superpower that not even Scott can mimic.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NeilPerry posted:

The point is the writers know what these character beats are supposed to represent but they always do it so haphazardly. Like, they just make it super obvious and tend to try and get it over with as quick as possible instead of actually 'writing' something around the point they're trying to convey.

Yeah. I felt like that beat made sense, but it was just done really sloppy. Like, it also makes sense that maybe they're trying to show that Stiles is better/getting better at dealing with this poo poo than Derek does, he has about as much (or more?) experience more success with it as Derek, and he actually knows Liam.

So like, it's a plot sequence that makes sense in the abstract, the writers just didn't really earn it.

(was Derek the one who taught Boyd/Erica/Isaac to control full moon shifts? I've forgotten what happened there)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

XboxPants posted:

(was Derek the one who taught Boyd/Erica/Isaac to control full moon shifts? I've forgotten what happened there)

I think he tied them up in an abandoned subway car or something. And then quietly muttered to himself in a corner, "I am the worst Alpha."

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think he tied them up in an abandoned subway car or something. And then quietly muttered to himself in a corner, "I am the worst Alpha."

Derek season 2 in a nutshell

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So instead of chaining his betas up in rusty medieval torture device looking poo poo, he could have just had them chant to themselves while fiddling with some magic feather.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
He taught Isaac the whole anchor thing, but apparently didn't have time to relay that information to Erica or Boyd. I don't think either of them ever learned full moon control before they died.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So Maze Runner won the box office weekend.

Goodbye Dylan O'Brien. But really, I won't be surprised if he starts getting more movie roles and ends up leaving. It'll be a shame for Teen Wolf, but there's no question that he's easily the best actor on the show and deserves all the success he can find.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shakugan posted:

So Maze Runner won the box office weekend.

Goodbye Dylan O'Brien. But really, I won't be surprised if he starts getting more movie roles and ends up leaving. It'll be a shame for Teen Wolf, but there's no question that he's easily the best actor on the show and deserves all the success he can find.

I think he already has a contract for the next season. But you are right, it's probably only a matter of time until he leaves. And to be honest, I don't know if I will continue to watch the show then. The story wasn't that great the last few seasons, the show lived from the interaction between the characters. How will this work without Stiles?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stiles leaving would destroy the show. If he doesn't want to come back after season 5, I say end it there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kinda funny how the show's track record leads us to have to seriously consider the possibility of any and all actors fleeing for the hills at the first available opportunity. Usually, a steady job on an ongoing series is the type of career any young working actor should kill for.

And when I say funny...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Kinda funny how the show's track record leads us to have to seriously consider the possibility of any and all actors fleeing for the hills at the first available opportunity. Usually, a steady job on an ongoing series is the type of career any young working actor should kill for.

And when I say funny...

This has more to do with MTV preferring to pay its actors in peanuts and fifty year-old government bonds.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

MikeJF posted:

Stiles leaving would destroy the show. If he doesn't want to come back after season 5, I say end it there.

End season five with him getting the bite from Peter, realizing he doesn't want it, and shooting himself up with wolfsbane. Everyone just gives up after the devastating loss of the obvious glue of the group. As the credits roll, Isaac walks up with a big goofy smile on his face, oblivious to the new melancholy that has washed over the entire town.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

This has more to do with MTV preferring to pay its actors in peanuts and fifty year-old government bonds.

Should just move the show to the CW then so they can stop stealing all of their actors. Plus they'd have an actual budget.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love that for like 60% of the cast moving to the CW is a massive step up. They really have to be paying them like five dollars an episode, Canadian.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seems like Maze Runner has already been deemed a success, with a sequel having just been announced. Presumably it will also star Dylan O'Brien (if it won't, no spoilers please).

So yeah, Teen Wolf is done for sure.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Shakugan posted:

So yeah, Teen Wolf is done for sure.

I don't see why people keep saying this. It's completely possible to do a TV show as well as movies. He did the first one, he can do the second. I'm also pretty sure they aren't stupid enough to let Dylan go. They'd offer him a pretty penny to stay since it's no secret he's the biggest draw for the show. He also doesn't have the issue some of the other actors had; he gets lots of screen time and his own story arcs. Teen a Wolf is a pretty popular show and doesn't take forever to film. He has no reason to leave given his position.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Because once movie people figure out how good Dylan O'Brien is, he can (probably) make more money filming a single movie than he can filming an entire season's worth of Teen Wolf. At that point, it doesn't make sense for him to tie himself down doing a TV series half the year when he could be using that time to make one or two films.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Because once movie people figure out how good Dylan O'Brien is, he can (probably) make more money filming a single movie than he can filming an entire season's worth of Teen Wolf. At that point, it doesn't make sense for him to tie himself down doing a TV series half the year when he could be using that time to make one or two films.

Sure, if you approach it from 'the only thing he wants to do is make money,' but (according to him) that isn't true. We'll see. :homebrew:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't think it even takes half a year to film Teen Wolf. That's the thing, he has enough time to do the show and movies. If the show wants to keep him bad enough, which they would given his appeal on the show, they'll find ways to give him more money and work around his schedule. Lots of actors held down TV shows while making several movies. Alexander Skarsgard from True Blood for instance. Having a big part on an established and popular TV show is a nice safety net to have. It's money, exposure and an audience that will run to your movies because they already love you.

Obviously, I'm not an actor and don't know the ins and outs of the industry, let alone this one particular person, I just think it's a bit extreme to be saying that he's going to run off and the show is over now.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

KilGrey posted:

Obviously, I'm not an actor and don't know the ins and outs of the industry, let alone this one particular person, I just think it's a bit extreme to be saying that he's going to run off and the show is over now.

I don't think it is a guarantee he will quit, but him becoming a bigtime movie star certainly would make it more likely. And if he does that is pretty much the end of Teen Wolf.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like the dude and I hope he does well for himself but I don't think a #1 box office weekend against absolutely nothing in a movie based on an established series of novels is enough to declare him a movie star and assume he's quitting the show.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Maze Runner was greenlit for a sequel on its first day of box office. Dylan O'Brien is probably going to leave.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He could easily film Maze Runner 2 without leaving the show, and probably more than that; Teen Wolf seems to have a pretty permissive filming schedule and they'll organise things around obligations of their actors. But his star's on a rapid rise and he's gonna have offers coming out of his arse, offers much better than the two dollars and a cup of coffee MTV is no doubt paying him, so we'll see what happens.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm sure Dylan's gonna have an enviable career in front of the him, but I also think y'all greatly overestimate how much the TV/movie industry gives a drat about any given young actor or another. At least let's see him crank out more than one single blockbuster before christening him the next Jennifer Lawrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just a reminder that if anyone's been suffering through Daniel Sharman withdrawals that he's joining the cast for the Originals this season, premieres on Oct 6. If anyone here used to watched TVD but gave up, it's actually a surprisingly fun and plot driven show and Klaus is way more entertaining in his own environment where he gets to be an rear end in a top hat to a completely different set of supernatural creatures. Plus no loving love triangle BS.

• Locked thread