Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Uhaul is owned by an insurance company so I'm guessing that they saw a regular Cherokee as too light or something. If the trailer plus the car your towing weighs over what their computer will allow they wont rent to you. Used to work there and it was hilarious what people would try to tow with cars/hitches which were not rated for it. My personal favorite was the guy with out a hitch trying to tie a trailer onto his Astro's bumper with a rope.

I showed up with a 2000-ish F150 with a worn out V6.

Slapped the auto-transport on the BUMPER hitch and towed a rusty AE86 on top of it.

I don't know how they let me swing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I think he likes 4G63s, and of course, it makes it MORE AI.

The whistle of 30psi would be the perfect match to the 70s styling.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
And it had to be Ontario plated.

See what a long cold winter does to us up here?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A local $10,000 Bricklin.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

Price $14,000.00
Address Sudbury, ON P0M 1L0, Canada
For Sale By Owner
Make AMC
Model Other
Year 1975
Kilometers 16000
Body Type Coupe (2 door)
Transmission Automatic
Colour Orange
Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD)
Fuel Type Gasoline
This is a very Unique Car made in New Brunswick in 1975. It has gullwing doors, fiberglass body, 351 windsor, 9000 miles, power gallore. This car can be repaired at any garage, comes with a list of reference parts.

Although this car is 37 years old it is still better looking than anything comming off the North American production lines.

It's been to car shows where it becomes the center of attention. This car will never loose it's value. Total insurance coverage 300$ a year.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I assume a basic Wilwood pedal setup is out of the question since it'd probably involve some cutting and welding.

It is an option though if you don't mind a little custom work (but I know you don't want any cuts so it's probably out).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Which RWD transmission bolts on to your twin turbo V6?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Going to stock up on them? I don't imagine the Kia transmission is all that stout.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Sorento is not a modified twin turbo V6 was more my thoughts. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Doesn't the H2 come pre-hosed-up from the factory?

To be fair, all GM vehicles come this way.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That cooling with boost isn't a small effect, thus more power?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For the fuel tank, what about removing it and installing a smaller fuel cell in the same place?

The stock tank is probably rusty as hell inside and you don't want to be clogging fuel filters every week and burning out pumps.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mafoose posted:

Unless you have holes through the tank, why not just get it boiled out? Recoat with por 15 and then paint the outside.

If the inlet and outlets are too small for efi you could get them modified at that point too.

This could end up being a huge PITA if something Bricklin specific breaks in the process of removal. Straps, mounting hardware, specialty clips and lock rings, etc.

I was just brain storming some possible problems he might run into.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pontiac Sunbird headlights switched left/right. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Good eye, thanks. Though the use of that emoticon made me think you were joking. Or are you? Damnit internet!

I was joking in hopes some poor Bricklin owner didn't actually try to align a set of crosseyed headlights.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Have classic Camaro hide-away headlights behind the grill. The normal pop-up headlights activate your ram-air setup for each one of your twin turbos.

:clint:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$2k is too much IMHO. Can't you get a Z28 half cut for that with an LS1 and T56? I could be off, but a wrecked donor should go for less than their price.

I think you should be buying the donor and doing the pull yourself. It will help immensely in the "where the gently caress does that go" department.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Maybe you should get an engine (dead one?) for mockup so none of these additions get in the way (like clutch master assembly).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Try calling some local performance shops and see if they have any scrap blocks they could sell you.

They might even give you one once they know what you're doing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Have you made some calls to auction houses that deal in crashed vehicles?

Might be worth it to cruise some F-body forums and keep an eye for a crashed vehicle. You could also post a "wanted" ad and see where that takes you.

If you could find a $2500 running donor with poo poo body work, you could have all your wiring, drivetrain, and AC bits all in one shot. No buying things twice like a transmission.

You could even utilize the factory mounts from the donor engine by hacking up the original chassis brackets from the donor car.

Think of the big picture costs. A running donor might be possible since you're waiting and watching anyways.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There's auto shipping services that various members have used here. You could get an out-of-state car delivered for the donor if the price is reasonable (shipping being $500-$1000+ roughly depending on distance).

Just a thought for you.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

My new plan is to reuse the stock AMC rubber mounts.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, but doesn't this seem like an incredibly bad idea?

I'd rather go with something newer and readily available/upgradeable especially when you're talking twin turbo.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I'm going to leave a note on the eBay feedback to use another form of shipping though. USPS can suck it.

To be fair, it has nothing to do with him once he signs the paperwork. I'd be contacting USPS if you have an issue.

As for the motor mount thing, I was thinking: what if those mounts are too soft with all that power? Do urethane ones exist? Is there an upgrade path beyond stock firmness?

Does the LS style engine mounts offer any such upgrades?

Just planning ahead incase you run into an issue. At least you've looked ahead and knew there was something to go to rather than having to redesign the mounts again around a new rubber. I was just worried with the amount of power and torque a V8 turbo will make, it could start tearing at the softer rubber.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Seen this the other weekend and thought of you. I was even able explain the cracking of the paint to another dude who was legit checking it out. :3:

These pictures make it look way nicer than it really is.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I stopped by a local metal supplier when I wanted a length of 1/4" round steel for my fog light grill project.

He gave me a 20' length and said it wasn't worth the time to bill out. :dance:

Hopefully you get as lucky. Maybe a quick, "I'm putting a GM V8 in an old Bricklin and wondered if I could have a peek in your scrap/discard bin"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Quick question, but do you have a spare tire well in the rear end? They make racing cells that fit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

There are two fuel lines going from the tank to the front of the car, one about twice the size of the other.

Are those metric or standard measurements? :v:

• Locked thread