Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saw DTP live in Dublin last year, one of the greatest gigs ever. Devin is a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

henpod posted:

Devin has such a huge catalogue of music, and I love hearing certain riffs and musical themes from other songs. I can't think of any other specific examples right now but I catch them every now and then. I can definitely hear 'Monument' from SYL in this one.

The Devin Townsend Self Reference Chart

Stick it in the OP!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The first time I listened to Deconstruction, I turned it off after about two songs, it was just too overwhelming. It takes a bit to get used to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Make a video with Devin and listen to Lucky Animals from Epicloud :allears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm not a fan of Lucky Animals. Can't wait to hear this album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't like the first half of the album at all but once Kingdom kicks in, it gets really, really good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've kinda grown on some of the earlier tracks, I think the album starts to get good once Where We Belong hits. Still really not a fan of Lucky Animals though.

Also I've said it a few posts ago but that new version of Kingdom is so, so good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can confirm Dev's awesomeness live, he played his first live gig in Ireland last year, it was great, I was right up the front and shook his hand at the end and even managed to get a guitar pick.

Also the show was amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

SYL's Alien. People always bang on about City but for me, Alien is SYL's best.
Also get Ghost, it's completely different but it's so, so good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He played something from Ocean Machine in Dublin tonight, not sure which but it wasn't Life!

Gig was great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Dig through this to find out.

It was Regulated.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alien, then City.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Physicist has a shameful-rear end mix.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imperial->Skeksis->Shitstorm is godly. I know City is considered the landmark but for me, Alien is the best.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Amen to that. I'm not that big a fan of DT's mellower stuff to be honest, but god drat Ziltoid and Deconstruction own so loving hard.

Totally agree with you here. I was super sceptical about the latest DTP album and didn't really like it too much , Deconstruction (and Ghost) to me really felt like a total culmination of the whole project.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gah, don't start with Deconstruction.

The album has so many references to older stuff and the first four DTP albums really work if you listen to them in order.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Decon is probably my fave DTP to be honest, it seems like the culmination of Devin's work as a musician.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you judged the album listening to the badly mixed leak, I implore you to listen to the proper version. Definitely changed my opinion of the album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I'm really loving Z2 and realize it's an entirely separate beast from ZTO, not a sequel or continuation.

But that's... exactly what it is...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah same. Like a lot of people here, I thought Sky Blue would be the throwaway one but it's MUCH better than Dark Matters imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best wishes to your family, stab :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw him a few years ago and he was doing a co-headline thing with... Turisas? Turistas? Apparently they just flipped a coin each night to decide who headlined. LUCKILY I got a DTP headline that night. Turisas (?) were good but I think most people were there for Dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Varg posted:

Set list limited to tracks from Sky Blue/Dark Matters, Epicloud, Infinity, and Ocean Machine. Grace might be the most fun live song ever, wow.

Nothing from the first 4 DTP albums? smdh

• Locked thread