Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My ME Super likes the night:

And Kodachrome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What how did you get Kodachrome developed

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

QPZIL posted:

What how did you get Kodachrome developed

He's probably sharing old photos with us. :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Unfortunately yes, they're old photos, although there was that guy from Sydney who managed to get the k-14 process working at home: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/103711-reports-colour-kodachrome-home-processing-emerge-sydney.html

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

just joined the club

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Got a package in from KEH today. Everything but the chrome me super and 50mm SMC-A lens for my friend, and a 40mm pancake for me. :toot:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah I've been eyeing that 40mm pancake for ~*MAXIMUM SMALLNESS*~, go take some pics so I can see how it performs.

Edit-- it doesn't have to be right now, if you could just get me something by the end of the day that'd be fine thanks

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"

dukeku posted:

just joined the club

Don't you feel any shame, exposing your Pentax ME Supers intimate parts like this?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
are there any good, cheap, ultrawide lenses for these things?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You can get a 16mm f/2.8 for ~$400, or a 20mm f/4 for ~$200, I'm sure there are other options.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Sup, friend of Mr. Despair here reporting in.

DSC00363 by killerchiapet, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5

I have one in Minolta MD mount, and I'm lurking eBay and a few other places for one in K-mount. There are (at least) two versions, rumoured to have been made by Cosina. My MD-manual version cost a little shy of $100 through eBay, and there are a couple of Pentax KAF versions on eBay at the moment for about $150. As far as I can tell the differences between the MF and AF versions are not in the glass or optical formula; both versions have an aperture ring, and are "two touch", with separate rings for focus and zoom.

Not the sharpest lens ever made, but 19mm on 135 film is pretty frickin' wide, I am rather fond of that lens. Here's a shot taken with it at 19mm. A little bit of vignetting, but not too bad, I think.

Arista Prem 400 1 022 by Execudork, on Flickr
The scratches on the film happened during developing. I am not good at loading film into the reels.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
just got mine.

Came with the 50/1.7 and a chinon 28mm/2.8. Anyone have experience with the Chinon? Seems suitably wide...

Quick questions:

1. Do you guys typically use M or Auto? It looks like the Auto on this camera is very similar to the Aperture priority mode on digital cameras, whilst M is M. Is that more or less correct? Do you guys typically use Auto (I am generally a big fan of Av mode on my digital cameras)?

2. The focus target thing on mine never seems to fully line up at infinity. It comes really really close but I can still see a slight skew. Is that normal/nothing to worry about?

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Finally scanned some stuff from last month. Portra 400, 50mm f/1.4.

img138.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img145.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img149.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Anti-Derivative posted:

just got mine.

Came with the 50/1.7 and a chinon 28mm/2.8. Anyone have experience with the Chinon? Seems suitably wide...

Quick questions:

1. Do you guys typically use M or Auto? It looks like the Auto on this camera is very similar to the Aperture priority mode on digital cameras, whilst M is M. Is that more or less correct? Do you guys typically use Auto (I am generally a big fan of Av mode on my digital cameras)?

2. The focus target thing on mine never seems to fully line up at infinity. It comes really really close but I can still see a slight skew. Is that normal/nothing to worry about?
I have an off-brand 28/2.8, might be Chinon might be something else. Anyways, optically it's fine, but I managed to damage it and now the focus ring isn't connected to anything so it's currently a fixed-focus lens. Sooner or later I'll take it apart.

I usually use Auto, it is exactly aperture priority.

I've never had a problem with my focus at infinity. Does it happen with both of your lenses, or just one of them?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
happens with both. i'm not sure if it is causing a real effect yet, but will find out once i get some rolls developed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spend the night scanning in my last roll of film. First time shooting hp5+, and first time using the 40mm pancake lens.

40mm019.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

40mm048.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

40mm041.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

40mm038.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Was worth every penny.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Just shot a roll of HP5+, I love it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0755.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yessss yes yes yes yes yes yes

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"
Is that the new film from Kodak?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'd just like to remind everyone that this is a really good thread that you should be posting in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Mr. Despair, bro, can I have your 40 pancake lens? I can't find one for my own.

I need to get some more lenses, all I have now is the 50mm 1.4. Don't get me wrong, it's badass! But, it'd be nice to have some more options.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html is a good resource for some common fixes.

Do you know if the mirror is locked up? Is the shutter curtain reset all the way (that link has some pics of what it should look like)? Holding up the wind lock as you wind the camera can help reset everything too.

Does seem like a weird issue though, the most common issues all seem to relate to being able to wind too much without anything catching.

I recently bought a ME Super (to join my MX, MG & SF7) and that website was exactly what I needed to come across!

It would skip a frame, then advance normally, then maybe skip a frame. I've tried bending that lever a little and (fingers crossed) it seems to be fixed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Mr. Despair, bro, can I have your 40 pancake lens? I can't find one for my own.

I need to get some more lenses, all I have now is the 50mm 1.4. Don't get me wrong, it's badass! But, it'd be nice to have some more options.

sorry, the 40mm is all I ever use anymore, it owns too hard.

only cost 40 bucks on keh too :unsmigghh:

SimonomiS posted:

I recently bought a ME Super (to join my MX, MG & SF7) and that website was exactly what I needed to come across!

It would skip a frame, then advance normally, then maybe skip a frame. I've tried bending that lever a little and (fingers crossed) it seems to be fixed.

:getin:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I nearly bought the 40mm pancake at a second hand photography junk market, but the guy wanted $90AU and wouldn't budge an inch.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I already know what Mr. Despair's answer will be, but:

I am going to go spend the summer in Tasmania. This will allow me to avoid the majority of the harsh Canadian Prairie Winter, which is ironically the reason I purchased a MX - the batteries only run the light meter, and in daylight at -40 on snow I can just set it to f/16 and 1/250 and bang away at anything, the fact the cold will murderize the batteries in seconds is irrelevant. So, if you had to choose only one Pentax K-mount film camera to take with you for 4 months (and quest to visit all 19 National Parks in Tas), would you take the MX or the ME Super? Largest, brightest viewfinder ever put in a consumer or prosumer body, or aperture priority?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I already know what Mr. Despair's answer will be, but:

I am going to go spend the summer in Tasmania. This will allow me to avoid the majority of the harsh Canadian Prairie Winter, which is ironically the reason I purchased a MX - the batteries only run the light meter, and in daylight at -40 on snow I can just set it to f/16 and 1/250 and bang away at anything, the fact the cold will murderize the batteries in seconds is irrelevant. So, if you had to choose only one Pentax K-mount film camera to take with you for 4 months (and quest to visit all 19 National Parks in Tas), would you take the MX or the ME Super? Largest, brightest viewfinder ever put in a consumer or prosumer body, or aperture priority?

I would definitely take both. That way you have a backup.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The ME Super will still work at 1/125 sans battery, so it works just fine in the cold. :c00lbert:

but seriously, I would take both, the body seems small enough that you should be able to stuff it in your bag somehow, even if you leave it in the hotel or something. 4 months is a long time, so having a backup body stashed in your spare shoes or something seems like a good idea.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's good to take two camera bodies because you can keep one loaded with slower film and one loaded with faster film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
These are all good reasons. Both it is!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Well I just started bidding on a ME Super on ebay. It was just to cheap to resist venturing in to the world of film. The problem is I live in the middle of nowhere so I will have to send out my film to be developed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well I just started bidding on a ME Super on ebay. It was just to cheap to resist venturing in to the world of film. The problem is I live in the middle of nowhere so I will have to send out my film to be developed.

Shoot B&W dev at home. You're welcome.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

8th-samurai posted:

Shoot B&W dev at home. You're welcome.

I have been considering this since I have a closet that is basically unused and could easily be turned in to a dark room. Maybe I will shoot a few rolls and get a feel for it and see how I like shooting film and then decide on a dark room setup.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have been considering this since I have a closet that is basically unused and could easily be turned in to a dark room. Maybe I will shoot a few rolls and get a feel for it and see how I like shooting film and then decide on a dark room setup.

You don't need a dark room to develop film (only for wet printing). But you don't want your dark room to be in a closet anyway, dark room needs to be well ventilated. You use a lot more chemicals than for simple developing.
For developing all you need is chemicals (developer, fix) and a tank, you can buy everything you need for 100+ rolls for $50.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

You don't need a dark room to develop film (only for wet printing). But you don't want your dark room to be in a closet anyway, dark room needs to be well ventilated. You use a lot more chemicals than for simple developing.
For developing all you need is chemicals (developer, fix) and a tank, you can buy everything you need for 100+ rolls for $50.

Cool. I will visit the film thread and start educating myself.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Heck, even home development of color film doesn't seem too difficult anymore.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I'm sure the ME and ME-super are great. But where is the Spotmatic love? Aperture priority? We don't need no stinkin aperture priority. Full manual full mechanical.

Seriously i have a bunch of old cameras and the spotmatics have held up better than cameras 10-15 years younger.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NihilismNow posted:

I'm sure the ME and ME-super are great. But where is the Spotmatic love? Aperture priority? We don't need no stinkin aperture priority.

It's in the Electro Spotmatic/ES/ESII. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Or you could just get a K2 and have the Spotmatic body, K-mount lenses, full manual full mechanical, and aperture priority.

• Locked thread