Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The Gaping Dragon is completely optional, since the door he gives you a key for can actually just be shoved open if you have the Master Key. Presumably this means it also opens fine from the other side as well if you got there using any of the Master Key skips. It's possible that it is a one-way door, but probably not.
You can't open the door to blighttown from the other side. Believe me, I've tried.

And if anyone is still wondering how it'll run on their computer, with my below minimum spec machine the game doesn't run great, but it's still completely playable and (sadly) not all that dissimilar to the console experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm an idiot when it comes to stats or how RPGs work, but I'm loving this game so far. I just wish the loading screens would stay a bit longer so I can read them. :argh:
Don't worry, they'd probably be mislabled or just plain wrong even if you could read them.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Perfect Potato posted:

I was an hour in and decided to go down below Firelink to get the true Dark Souls experience and ended up finding Astoria's Straight Sword or whatever under an angry rear end sleeping dragon, is this a decent sword that's worth getting faith points for?
No, it's complete garbage. There will be a point in the game where you'll want to have a weapon that does divine damage, but practically any other divine weapon will be better.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
About the DLC...

Do you have to place the lordvessel to access it? If you do, that really sucks for me because my primary weapon is the lifehunt scythe, and I'd have to bleed myself to death 50 times over to kill the 4 kings with it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I asked this earlier in the thread but no one answered, so I'll ask again - how do you access the DLC?

I was hoping to find it naturally, but now I'm practically at the endgame and I'm afraid that I'll be massively overlevelled for it by the time I find it, assuming I'm not already.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Veev posted:

Go rescue Dusk in the Darkroot Basin. Then go to the Duke's Archives and take the first elevator up. There will be a crystal golem hanging out with all the skeletons you need to kill. He'll drop a broken pendant, take that back to where suck was stuck in the golem initially and you'll be dragged to the DLC. You won't really be over leveled for it though. It's bosses seemed to be tuned as if you were one area beyond the final boss.
Thanks. I thought I missed it at some point in the mid-early game, but it turns out I actually just haven't gotten to it yet.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

voltron lion force posted:

The gargoyle tail axe is unique in that it actually "hits" you with a bit of those status effects when you equip it. That's why you see the bars pop up.

Poison resist in Blighttown helps in that you have an extra couple seconds when dashing from island to island in the swamp without getting poisoned and having to waste a purple moss.
No, the normal behaviour for anything that increases resistance is to "hit" you for the difference. If something increases your resistance and the bars don't pop up, that would be unique.

As for the spider shield, I think its effects only apply when you block with it. Normally when you block a toxic dart some of the toxin will bleed through, but if you block with the spider shield it completely nullifies the effect.

GreatGreen posted:

So, the game won't save at all if you're not connected to GFWL. gently caress that. You literally are not permitted to progress if you're not playing online.

The PS3 version would let you save and choose to play offline, why can't I do it here?
You can play offline as long as you're signed in to GFWL.

Lork fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
So I was forwarding ports because I was having trouble summoning people even though I'm pretty sure my router has UPnP enabled and GFWL says my NAT type is open when I noticed that a few of the ports that GFWL needs are the exact same ones that the Xbox 360 uses. Now I'm wondering if having those ports forwarded to my Xbox is causing problems.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Underwhelmed posted:

You are far more optimistic than I. I am yet to see a community in which if cheating is possible, ever become one in which nobody bothers to cheat anymore.
Seriously, never underestimate people's ability to be complete shitheads. The cheating/hacking problem is only ever going to get worse.

That Gobbo posted:

Same thing happened to me. I think we're both hosed. Don't kill Ingward everyone!
Have you tried checking the lost and found chest next to Frampt? If it's not there then yeah, you're probably boned.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Samhem posted:

Also, I am reading in this thread that people are beating up this red dragon right after the taurus demon, that sounds absurd. Should I have been able to do this? This does not seem like a fair fight.
I've never been able to kill the hellkite drake without abusing the pre-patch watchtower bug even with an endgame character. Every time I try to hit him he just does the attack where he flies up and roasts the ground below him a millisecond later, killing me instantly.

I've always interpreted it as a kind of parody of the way dragons are portrayed in other games. The idea of fighting a giant fire breathing monster that can fly whenever it wants to with nothing but the equivalent of a tin can and a toothpick is inherently ridiculous, but because it's an enemy in a typical video game, it has to be possible to beat it without too much effort, so they have to be incredibly stupid so you can have a chance to kill them. Not this one, though. He's going to press every advantage he has, and picking a fight with him will end about as well as you'd think it would.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Also when you're human you can use humanity to kindle bonfires, which increases the number of estus flasks you get for resting at them.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Did a couple rounds in the arena and discovered that there some new spells in the DLC that can hit you even if they miss by 10 meters. I assume it's doing some kind of client side prediction, but it basically means that it's impossible to dodge and extremely obnoxious.

Oh, and is there any reason not to just go to the host trapdoor every time? That seems like a pretty broken system if it works the way it appears to.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

WayneCampbell posted:

First time playing a souls game and I will be playing solo. Can someone give me an exact build to shoot for this purpose? I tried playing as a knight and more or less randomly been distributing stats because I don't know what the gently caress.
Is there a particular reason why you're playing solo (I assume that means offline)? The online features greatly enhance the experience and I wouldn't play offline unless I had to.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Events like that are deliberately kind of random to keep you on your toes and confuse players who try to cheese the game with walkthroughs.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Something tells me that "Very... good" is going to be the new "Well, What is it?". Nice to see that the rumoured "voice solution" turned out to just be yet another advancement in trolling technology.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Is anybody who's in the DLC at around SL80 able to do some coop with me? I'm trying to (optional DLC boss spoiler) cut Kalameet's tail, but it's literally impossible to do alone unless you get extremely lucky.

Lork fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 30, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

jonjonaug posted:

It's not too hard to do. Just be patient. Make sure you have fastroll.

It's not too hard to do if you get lucky. Otherwise he'll just use the same attacks that don't expose his tail at all literally hundreds of times in a row no matter where you are in relation to him.

I guess if you have the fastroll you can use invincibility frames to get through the guaranteed damage breath attacks and fight him indefinitely? Even if I was dexterous enough to do that consistently, I still don't feel like fighting the same boss for an hour.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

tractor fanatic posted:

If you stay at a distance so you can juuuust sideroll away from his sitting breath attack, he'll do the low flying swoop quite regularly, and usually a tail slam will follow.
Every time I do that he just uses the headbash/tailwhip. That's seriously all he does 99% of the time, even if I'm too far away/too close to be hit by it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
So there's nobody who can help me?

I tried lightening my load to get to get the fastroll, but that resulted in me getting OHKO'd through my shield by the attack where he flies up and shoots his breath straight down.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
This just makes me want to try a "gravelorded" run. Too bad that would be kind of hard to arrange even if gravelording wasn't broken as gently caress already.

The hackers haven't bothered figuring out a way to switch gravelord enemies on and off at will, have they? That's the one thing I would ever consider using a trainer for.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody have a link to a slomo breakdown of exactly when/where the iframes are in a roll? I'm trying to make an action game myself and I'd like to completely rip off study the implementation of games that do stuff like this right.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

hipster werewolf posted:

Right at the start of the roll, if I recall.
So if this is accurate and assuming the figure I heard somewhere that the animations run at 29.97 fps, a fast roll gives you almost half a second of invincibility with only a little over a third of a second of recovery time, which seems crazy to me. I imagine the roll in Dark Souls is probably extremely generous compared to other games like Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter, but that's just a gut feeling without any actual numbers for those games. Unfortunately it doesn't look like those numbers are out there, as they're understandably hard to accurately pin down.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Bouchacha posted:

Does breaking poise work in the same manner as a bleed/poison/etc build-up? Meaning, do you have to have quick hits in succession to break an enemy's poise "meter"?
Yes, though the poise "meter" depletes a lot faster than the visible status effect ones do.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Guillermus posted:

My little experience with DS1: start the game multiple times using different classes, get up to gargoyles, do some random stuff and stop playing. Since visiting this thread, I focused on a str build (started as pyro to have it as backup), played, learned and grinded my way to get a +11 claymore, +10 zwei and a +4 lighting halberd. Beat Gwyn who forced me to really learn how to parry/riposte. Started new game+ and found that I get hit waaaay waaaay harder and my mixture of havel's armor (3/4 with gargoyle's head) feels like paper. How do you guys get around to the insane incoming damage on higher NG+?
Armor barely makes a difference even in NG other than poise (and poise damage doesn't scale up in NG+ as far as I know). Like in most Japanese action games, the best defense is to try to not get hit in the first place. Get yourself a big fuckoff shield and tank that damage with your stamina instead of your health, and/or try to get better at dodging. Failing that, get your vitality up to at least to the soft cap of 30 - I don't remember damage in NG+ seeming all that excessive even with light armor when I had an appropriate amount of HP.

And yes, Dark Souls 2 is more than worth the money even if it weren't for the sale price.

Lork fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 20, 2015

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but what''s going on with the upgrade pricing for SOTFS? I thought it was supposed to be $20 if you had all the DLC, but the only option available is $35 ($16.44 at half off for the Steam sale), and then somebody here is saying they got it for $5 from Steam? What gives?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Alabaster White posted:

It's $16 normally but I managed to get it for $5 by selling all the stupid cards from the event and getting credit. I suppose I should have worded that a bit more clearly :v:
So that explains that, but what about the $20 option? Did they just remove that without anybody noticing?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

DS2 upgrade price is dependant on whether you owned the base game, or the base game and season pass. Since DS1 and 2 discussion is happening take the time to read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-dark-souls-3-isnt-the-last-in-the-series-but-it-is-a-turning-point

It clarifies the development teams for Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and how many of that team were involved in DS2/3.
Yes and like I said, I own the base game and the season pass, but it looks like they thought that particular deal was just too good to go on sale.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Wait are people saying that Dex is underpowered in both games? I thought Dex builds in DS1 were the second choice for twinks right after "Giant Dad With Lightning Zwei"?

Lork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 21, 2015

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Regy Rusty posted:

You should still be able to warp back to the bonfire in front of Gwyndolin if I remember right. However you made it harder since you killed the fire keeper and so can't interact with the bonfire you awaken at when you die. You'll have to return to Sen's each time and warp back to the other bonfire from there.
I think you can only warp to that bonfire if you're in the covenant, but I'm not sure. If that's the case you can always access the elevator the same way you did the very first time - by going through the cathedral and pulling the lever to bring it up to the highest position.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Angrymog posted:

Will give that one a go. I hadn't tried going so low down the compatibility tree + administrator. I did try with just administrator to no avail.

Edit: Nope :(

Guess I either give it up or rebuy the PS3 version. Have also tried adjusting the window modes in its .ini file

The game isn't even loading so I don't think adding dsfix to the mix will help anything, but I could be wrong? (I don't know, I never really saw any point in DSfix - it didn't do anything I cared about)
Some people have reported controller related shenanigans. Have you tried:

-Unplugging your controller before launching the game
-If you didn't have one plugged in before, plugging it in before launching the game
-Uninstalling your 360 controller drivers

Edit: If that doesn't work, I've also seen somebody say that they tried leaving it at the black screen without clicking for a few minutes it eventually loaded up, so... maybe try that?

Lork fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ariong posted:

Okay so here's the problem. I'm in Ash Lake and I want to leave, but on the way up the Great Hollow, I got stuck in a weird little alcove that consisted of a slightly dipped floor and two small branches on either side of me. Apparently those little branches had very big hitboxes, because I was unable to escape and got cursed. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to get a purging stone, but the Hydra and the clam dudes kill me in one hit yet it takes me 15-20 hits to kill the clam dudes. Any ideas?
Oswald the lucky Pardoner sells purging stones for 3000 if you've beaten the Gargoyles and the undead merchant near the shortcut between Firelink and Lower Undead Burg sells them for 6000 if not. I would just buy one from whoever is most convenient rather than trying to rely on random drops from enemies you can barely fight. I think Ingward in New Londo can do it for free and the curse will allow you to hit the ghosts on the way there, so that's also an option.

Lork fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 22, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Guillermus posted:

As much as I like to add mods that fit into the game's original art, the mountain dew estus flask is a must have in my opinion.
I just wish it was SunnyD, like Miyazaki-San intended.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Your Computer posted:

So uh, turns out this is literally unplayable. What is going on? Even with the lantern I can't even see a meter in front of me. Going through the Tomb of Giants blind is one hell of a challenge but it's not exactly what I'm looking for right now.
Keep in mind that the lantern barely does anything unless you hold it out in front of you with LB/RB. Other than that I don't know.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Well, the master key being the best starting gift is fairly uncontroversial, at least. Even after they patched in a way to get it later on, having early access to a bunch of cool stuff still makes way more of a difference than any of the other stuff you can pick.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Perfectly Safe posted:

Just go via properties for the device and you can reconfigure it to be more sensitive. My experience is that doing this doesn't work, though.
I don't think you can change much of anything that way for 360 controllers. I could be wrong, but if I'm not, you might be able to use Durazno to do it. Both are worth a shot at any rate.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Even if they die on the exact same frame, the game is still going to process their deaths one after the other. Which one comes first in this situation is going to depend on so many different circumstantial factors that it would be effectively indistinguishable from random chance.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Panty Saluter posted:

I thought borderless fullscreen was supposed to force VSync by itself though....?
Do you have Aero turned off? If you're still running a version of Windows that lets you and you have done so for some reason, you won't get the automatic triple buffering/vsync for windowed games.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Good news, I finally overcame black knights. I was able to successfully land back stabs on both I've encountered so far and then it only took 2 or 3 R1 hits from the Claymore to finish then. I got used to dodging their attacks. Yay.

I'm determined to kill Havel before moving on. I have the Uchi and enough titanite to +5 it. Is it easy to inflict bleed on him? Best I've done against him so far is lure him up to the top of the tower so I can troll him with de-aggro. Got him 25% down with the claymore before I hosed up and got one shotted. My other plan is to just keep practicing parries on him until I am good at parrying,
Notice that none of his attacks have any horizontal reach to speak of. You can take advantage of this fact by simply jogging past him as he swings. No need to time a roll, just run in a straight line. You'll end up behind him with ample time to perform a backstab since you didn't waste any of it dodging his attack. It's one of the fastest ways to deal with him but with the added bonus of being practically foolproof.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

skasion posted:

This can backfire, one of his attacks (the 2hr2 I think) has surprisingly late tracking and he will spin on a dime to one-shot you with it. Rolling is safer unless you are fat.
That's never happened to me but I'll take your word for it. In that case I'd pay attention to whether he is two handing or not and be ready to roll when (and only when) he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Manslaughter posted:

Well they did add shadow dwarves in ds2
And the king's crowns!

The most amusing thing to me about that old description is that it makes it sound like Dark Souls was going to be a Free To Play game. Check your soul gage every day!

• Locked thread