Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Been playing with the DSfix and mousefix, but the controls for kicking are really tight compared to when using a controller. Is there a way to assign kicking to a key instead, because hitting these two buttons at the same time is really up in the air for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Most of slowbeef's problems come from the fact he's playing at like gameboy resolution

He's playing it on the Playstation 3, he just has a sub-par capture card.

I feel a bit bad for my buddy. Me and another friend (one who is good at this game and has beaten it multiple times) wanted to introduce our friend to Dark Souls, and we rushed to grab the white soap stones so he could summon us and we could play, and within five minutes into Undead Parish the poor guy gets invaded by twinked character.

He kills us and the guy is now terrified of playing Dark Souls, just saying "gently caress THAT" whenever we ask if he wants to play again. :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Backstabbing is key too.

I did find that his reward was really great since I am playing as a knight and my most crippling weakness is the weight of my armor (spoilered, because of hint to reward)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I can run as fast as the wind with the armor that makes me look like Oscar, which is why I wear elite heavy armor. :colbert:

That is my main motivation for wearing that armor, so there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

You will in Dark Souls II~

After watching Kay's videos, I hope they just drop all the classes, start you at level 1 with low-rear end stats and make you work your way upward from there.

I didn't realize how rewarding every little treasure from mobs could feel until I saw the deprived in action.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

Installed DSfix and mousefix and gave this a go today. Kb/m controls seem to mostly work fine, except for the cursor momentarily popping up and messing with my camera controls, but from playing the first hour or so it's not as bad as everyone said it was gonna be without a controller.

I'm having issues with the framerate though. I turned off AA and all those initialisms in the ini-file, but my fps still frequently drops down to single digits. It's particularly bad in outdoorsy areas, like when I'm fighting those skeletons a bit after you get out of the starting dungeon.

Any solution for this?

(Specs: GeForce GTX 570, i5, 8GB RAM)

Your computer is straight up better than mine, so I don't think the stats are a problem for this. (using a dual-core, gtx 275, 8 gigs of ram)

I think maybe you need to fiddle with the FXSSAO or whatever to find one that works better for you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I really don't understand the problems people have with the Capra Demon, though I have never run a purely casting-based character, so maybe that's why? I have always found it a much easier early fight than the Taurus Demon, and they're both pretty trivialised by the potential for plunging attacks anyway. I've never used the BKS that soon in the game, but surely that would make him pretty doable?

Every LP I've seen of people meeting him for the first time, including my own first run, involves him running at them, then leap attack with double-blades, breaking shield blocks and usually impacting huge amounts of damage.

It is pretty drat scary and kinda makes most people need a bit of a break or help to beat him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I haven't even beaten the game once or anything, but playing as a knight, yeah, pumping endurance early game is a blessing. You don't need to pump it to the extreme level, but I've learned now that I don't really want to focus as much on strength as I have (but it is fine, since I got a drop of a black knight sword, making that investment just right) but now I really want to put more into dexterity.

I split roughly 22 points into vitality and endurance before I set on to pump strength and dexterity, but you could do it earlier than that. Especially with Havel's ring or whatnot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was just doing my business in the asylum killing black knights, which are easy once you get them in a pattern, and one of them dropped a black knight sword, which I instantly dismissed as a junk sword which would prove difficult to upgrade, but my buddy on Skype freaked out and insisted it was a game-changer; people significantly changed the way they play the game depending on if it drops or not.

My personal experience with using the sword have been mixed, however. It deals good burst damage, but I find that it leaves me stunned for too long to be precisely useful to me. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

Currently my main weapons include a +10 uchigatana (so sorry merchant, you died for a greater cause :smith:) and a +5 divine broadsword, which was my knight's initial weapon.

I realize I need to upgrade my shield, as my armor is now almost a complete set of +4 elite knight armor, but my shield remains a wonky crest shield.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Leaves you "Stunned" too long? Do you mean you think the attack animation is too long? If you're talking about the r2s, yeah, that's one of the downsides of the Black Knights weapons (the sword in particular since it doesn't send enemies flying into the air). The r1s I'm not sure what you mean. They're slower than a katana of course, but they pack a lot more stopping power.

That said, don't feel obliged to use it. I usually suggest for new players not to use it on account of how absurdly broken it is for most of the game. It's incredibly easy to max out given that it requires twinkling titanite, and with just the base stats to wield it has about 400 AR when at +5, far stronger than any normal weapon until you have it at least +10 and a good amount in its scaling stat.

Oops, yeah. I mean that the attack animation takes a bit too long for me to comfortably use it, since I am now past Sen's Fortress and gargoyles/archers are dicks. Even light attack is taking too long for me.

I'm still having problems with the one archer on the ledge of you-know-where, read a sign that I should just be blocking him, but he hits me for way too much. And after he kills me, he gleefully leaps from the ledge into the abyss. Weird stuff.

GulagDolls posted:

just keep using the katana. it's probably better at this point anyway and has more anime power.

the black knight sword dropped for me from the first black knight I killed and it reminded me a lot of forging the eternal sphere on disk 1 of star ocean 2. it just...trivializes everything...not really fun to play the game that way, I think.
It might be extremely powerful, but I am not good enough at Dark Souls to warrant using a weapon that limits my mobility as much as it does. The katana's moveset appeals to me, as it is both a stabbing weapon, which saves me in tight quarters which Dark Souls is in love with, but also allows pretty wide swings otherwise. I know there's another blade that does that, but the katana just seem to benefit more from a single stat. Of course, now I am a bit split on whether to pump strength or dexterity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Others can connect to me and DSCFix supposed to create a tunnel connection between you and your friends which I think might circumvent my problem.

DSCFix just prioritizes your friendslist for summoning, it doesn't disable invasion or anything. I got invaded several times while playing with my friends, but my invaders had the problem that we were in Sen's Fortress. That place can be just as bad to him as it is to us.

Liquid Penguins posted:

If the sun is actually an illusion, what have I been praising this entire time?

I always took it as praising Solaire, but you know...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Angry_Nohman posted:

I really want to love this game, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I've rung both bells, and up to that point it's been really fun, hard but not insurmountably so.

Now, I simply can't seem to find anywhere to go where I can survive more than one or two hits from anything. It seems to be that anywhere I go, I eventually mess up and get hit which knocks me over, then I'm usually just killed as I'm getting back up. I'm wearing all +2 Elite Knights Armour and using a +8 Longsword, though that seems to just tickle most stuff at this point.

I haven't found anything that seems better, is that armour just awful or something? Or is the entire rest of the game a one-hit-kill fest? I was really enjoying it but I've long since stopped having fun from getting murdered with no real sign of progress :ohdear:

Don't forget that this game is an RPG, so if you're behind a little bit, grinding will be the answer.

A good place I found for grinding roughly before ringing the second bell is to go to the bonfire in the depths and equip a pyromancer fist (possibly enchanted) and use combustion on the slimes.

This grants not only a ton of souls, but also gives you green titanite which can be very helpful.

Just don't do it for too long, just do it as long as you feel you are still having fun with it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was playing with a buddy last night and three of us decided to deal with Smough and Ornstein together, but after clearing the door ways of golems, we got invaded. Invadee tries to lure us toward one of the few golems that remain alive, and despite us warning him, one of my buddies decided to run in to try to deal with it and got promptly killed. Full of confidence he charges at my other friend who is the host, but leaves himself open to a backstab.

Okay, he's still got a chance, right? Except that my friend is wielding a zweihander and proceeds to smash it into him as my backstab stops taking effect.

I'm sure the guy must have been raging as all hell while we high-fived eachother.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I hosed up a bit.

In Anor Londo, I wanted to get some more damage out of my +10 Uchigatana, so I decided "well, my dexterity isn't quite high enough to really get the most damage out of this blade yet, let's try something new" and so I decided my best course of action to be making it lightning enchanted and upgrade it to at least +4.

Well, turns out I mixed up some things and I didn't have enough chunks, so it became a mere +3 lightning uchigatana. "It's alright", I thought, "I can kill silver knights with one hit here".

But then I found out that the guardians were apparently lightning resistant and I might have hosed myself as my only alternative weapon to use on the guardians is a +5 black knight sword, which is super-slow for the damage it can dish out.

So, uh, how bad did I mess this up? Is that lightning enchantment going to always haunt me? I was thinking of going back to +10 and upgrade to +15 when I get the right ember, but drat, lightning resistant enemies sure suck.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

fuxxo posted:

Not sure what guardians you mean but I took down Super Ornstein with a +4 Lightning Uchigatana, just be prepared for a long fight! You could also try and make use of Quelags Soul for a dex weapon that would be good vs Ornstein.

The guys in the hallway before the Ornstein and Smough fight have a rare chance to drop titanite chunks and I was going to try to grind those just to get it to +4.

It's about as tedious as it sounds, so I might drop it in favor of just killing Smough super-fast and rely on my friends to deal with Ornstein.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I probably should, but I don't know where they are yet, haven't gotten there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

Is there a recommended time to be doing the Undead Asylum revisit? The boss oneshot me the last time I tried it (pre-Depths).

I would say before you do Blighttown, but don't deal with the boss right away, just get the loot first. Return when you've feel you've peaked your favorite weapon (+10, not necessarily +15)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda cheated by getting the thief keys as my starting item and basically went in from valley of the drakes to blighttown, thus skipping the worst part, it seems. Albeit, if you can handle running past the drakes, you could easily get there anyway, so it isn't so bad cheating-wise.

From watching slowbeef play it though, the part I missed didn't look that bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, this game is an obsession. I'm fairly new at it, but little by little, all the things this game does right in terms of game design are really filling in my niches. I have started feeling an urge to point to other games and suggest well intended, "well, if they did this more like how Dark Souls handled it, it'd be better overall".

Even if it is just something like movesets of weapons making every weapon very distinct, I feel Dark Souls really hammer the point home too well.

Not every game can be Dark Souls, but dammit, why does it do so much right, so well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Yeah, I know that I have to do this but I might be subconciously keeping it up always (always) and not realizing it.

I'm so bad at parrying :(

I am pretty bad at parrying too, but these guys shouldn't kill you in one hit if you gently caress up, and if you run behind a few obstacles, you can drink estus safely enough to practice it.

For the sword knights, I usually parry them on their second swing when it is about to strike out. It gives you a fairly decent amount of warning, but I gently caress it up about 1/3rd of the time.

The spear silver knights are easy as hell. If they bend down with their shield arm, dodge-roll backwards. If they start stabbing with their spear, maneuver to the right around them and try to get to a backstab for their third stab. If they begin to swing their body to their left, they are about to unleash their wide-swing. This does the least amount of damage, even to your stamina, so try to time it for when you'd block the attack in its path with your sword (I find this an easier mental practice than parrying with the shield, since it looks a bit awkward) 9/10 times you should succed and be close enough for a riposte.

If either does use their shield bash attack, do NOT block. Taking the hit deals less damage and you can reserve your stamina for the next move.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The depths is a really nice, fun place, just be sure to have pyromancy with you and prepare to put poo poo on fire. :flame:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Upgraded my uchigatana to lightning +5, figure it is going to wreck some dragons :black101: :science:

Also took on S+O, first time with a buddy and Solaire, did fairly well, but a casual mistake was all it took when fighting Super Ornstein, my buddy went down, I ran out of effective ways to fight and died soon after.

Tried again, this time with my buddy and a random person that I summoned at the gate before O+S. I went in, saw my blood pile, retrieved it and all of a sudden, both Ornstein and Smough were on top of me and instantly killed me, before the other two had even gotten through the light. After nearly dying from laughter for five minutes, tried again and succeeded.

Fun stuff, taking on the catacombs now. :toot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Blighttown is honestly not bad at all once you realize poison actually saves you from getting toxic and healing poison is really easy. Also the worst NPC's in that area can't do poo poo to you once you are poisoned.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Small and Blue posted:

Being poisoned does not save you from getting toxic. Only way to prevent the dart snipers toxin is to eat poop.

Huh, I could swear my toxic bar never filled up when I was taking poison damage. I could go back to retest it later today.

Jack Trades posted:

Worst part of Blighttown is the retarded and unintuitive labyrinth design of the level and those loving annoying Mosquitoes that respawn at the worst possible time.
As soon as you find your way to the bottom and snipe all the mosquitoes before proceeding, it gets much more bearable.

EDIT: Also Cast Light is a great help there.

EDIT2: Seriously, how could the same team that designed great amazingly good levels like Anor Londo and Sen's Fortress have designed such an abortion of level design as Blighttown?
I swear is was made by an intern or something.
Maybe I'm just a natural at mazes or something, but I did not really think even the most complex part of Blighttown to be that difficult to navigate. :shrug:

The fact that you can kinda get an overview of where the maze goes by using the dimensions given to you does help though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My first time through was kind of cheating, I was doing multiplayer with a friend and he kinda knew the way to do things and how to wait for the worse traps. The problem came when he turned off a boulder trap, I ran to safety and saw a chest and immediately thought "oh loot!"

It was a mimic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Huh, I could swear my toxic bar never filled up when I was taking poison damage. I could go back to retest it later today.

Turns out, toxic and poison stacks, so watch out for that, huh. I guess I was just lucky.

Also, I like to think that some grinding is kinda necessary to keep the game fun, but the game is very open to how much grinding you have to do before you get tired. You can basically do no grinding, but I feel much safer grinding just a little bit.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow I just got really lucky, I made it to the bonfire above Andre without dying. The funniest bit was after I got done with the Balder knight who hangs out with the spear dude near the front of the Church, the one guarding the Knight Shield decided to sneak up behind me. I was all, "Woah, hey there" and killed them both. I love this game.
PS: I love the Knight class like a lot, it's pretty great.

I think I went down this exact path when I stopped playing the game on the PS3 and started playing a new game on the PC. :allears:

(not that the PS3 version is bad or anything, I just have a thing with gaming on the console, prefering my PC)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

QuantaStarFire posted:

On the other hand, The run back and forth to New Londo is going to be a long one.

Just gonna be an elevator ride longer, honestly. Andre loves you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

Got my Dark Souls design works book :)

Very pretty, though I was hoping for more words to go with the pictures.

I guess I'll skip that one then. I really like a lot of words.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm at the Blighttown part of her LP and having seen slowbeef go through it before, I feel maybe she rushes it way too hard.

Also, she seems to have lost her cool entirely at that point.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Forgall posted:

Suicide runs to grab items are a valid tactic.

Suicide run and grabs are perfectly valid, it was just that her approach to progress in that area was "getting the hella stressed out" and "wanting to get it overwith". That usually is a good way to die in Dark Souls (not that death matters that much)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Some people do not appreciate invasions at all:

I got this guy and his friend three times in Anor Londo, I think he was trying to gank people, its funny how much people will rage over invasions. All three times he fell for me charging him with homing soul mass and following it up with a soul spear.

Write back a hearfelt apology and act as if you've had your entire life go into complete shambles lately and you are only did it because you thought it was the way everyone played the gamje, see reaction. :allears:

Maybe that is trolling him too much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just find it funny that her husband challenged her to do this game blind probably to let her make fun of herself online and then it turned out she was just the right kind of player for Dark Souls, being much better at the game than most people take the time and effort to be.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

He is adamant that any attack I do that kills him is just plain not fair.

Alt-tabbing in a Dark Souls game sounds like a brilliant idea. I certainly never would if I minded dying at all.

If he's having trouble with the bosses, why doesn't he just rush to the boss doors since you wouldn't be able to invade him in there? So many questions.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

I didn't say anything before, but now I have to ask - is that some generic GFWL avatar or an actual specific person? My first DS hatemail was from the same terrible pink visage. I had a ~1 hour old character, I was just burning through my cracked red eye orbs at the time, some guy invaded me twice, died the first time then killed me spamming great combustion the second. He sent me an angry lil' message calling me the twink.

It's one of the GWFL standard ones, I use it because it didn't give me a choice when I made my account, having to pick from some really lovely standard ones with motifs I liked even less and I haven't been bothered to see about changing it to something else.

Come to think of it, I can probably get a cool Dark Souls avatar now, instead of that.

Nope, still got the shittiest avatars I've ever seen and you can't customize them.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

I don't have the best internet connection, so I was hoping for a decent single player experience. Is this still worthwhile if I can't play it online with regularity?

The game will still allow you to summon NPCs and (:nms: you probably shouldn't read this next part :nms:) invade certain NPC's and get invaded by NPC's, so you get the full experience, including that dread of "oh god what is happening" that Dark Souls aim to give to you.

Just play the game normally and get online if you have a buddy who wants to help you out. PC version will make that easier tho.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Forgall posted:

Are you playing with keyboard and mouse? This UI is definitely made for a controller.

I found the UI easy to customize with the mouse-fix, putting block on second mouse button, alt being the modifier, shift is my sprint/dodge, alt also confirms messages(and somehow doesn't launch me off cliffs accidentally) and using estus is 'e', while two-handing is 'q'. The rest works itself out with some experimentation, like I found I prefer having the "open menu" button on X instead of TAB, but either way works. Walk modifier as Ctrl makes life swell too, but you know, personal preference.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I always took it to mean the player forgets about the pygmy and links the bonfires anyway, causing a time paradox and lords all have a giant laugh about how stupid these chosen undead are in every timeline, which are so convoluted that sometimes the same soul tries the same journey again and again and sometimes it's an entirely different soul that tries and it's all a never-ending loop until every soul chooses the "walk away from the fire" ending and the entire game is a commentary on futility of mankind's struggles because we'll never agree to just leave the drat fire alone and we will always sacrifice ourselves like moths to a flame.

But I am really trying to look for how this game has no happy endings.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

If you associate the words "gaping" and "teeth" with "vagina" instead of "maw" you should tell your therapist :)
and probably watch other porn for a while? i dont know

Now Frampt and kaathe on the other hand are just straight up dicks and give great head-rides, no doubts about it.

I take it you never read the frontpage article(was it an article or a thread? Been too long and I can't find it anymore) about the guy who had a tadpole stuck in his penis? I'm fairly sure SA is the one loving with me for seeing these metaphors where I normally wouldn't be.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 20, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

The more I play the DLC the more I think Atorias is the only fun boss in it.

Started the DLC yesterday for real, after repeated facestomping by the Guardian until I figured out his weakness was being extremely aggressive.

Been having trouble with Artorias however. Every time I try to fight him I can reduce him all the way down to 2 bars and a little extra, before he facestomps me. I have like a million estus flasks left at that point, but no way of actually dealing damage. I have a theory that might work, but any suggestions would be welcome.

By the by, I can block him while he is powered up doing a triple somersault combo at me, but not if he is double-powered up. I also have some trouble evading him if he is doing his super-dive kick thing, which just ruins me, if I block, I die outright, if I dodge, I die outright unless I time it just right to evade his shockwave, but it's a tough one to avoid.

Been actually considering just skipping the DLC entirely because the enemies in it have been really unfun to fight and giving very little souls for the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think I missed the blue slab, but otherwise I got the entire guardian set. Ah well, I have a fully enchanted weapon anyway and I don't plan on building intelligence further.

Rolling towards him is the dodge I've had greatest success with, but I'm still finding I have far less success with it than I wish I had. But then again, my best strategy so far has to be hit him twice with fireball pyromancies, then throw the rest of my stack at him while he tries to power up before continuing the dance. He does actually take more damage from that compared to my melee attacks.

Good to hear that the next section has more fun enemies to deal with, giant statues and plant men are really old hat for me now.

• Locked thread