Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Snagged this off amazon, had previously played it w/o online support in the past for about an hour, but man this game fuckin' owns with all the messages and rating messages and looking at phantoms with crazy-rear end weapons you don't have. I got smashed by the Taurus Demon by being stupid, sadly, but that's not much of a surprise because it's a bit of a dick. I've really been enjoying being lead to areas I never would have explored due to the messages, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's playable if you download the mouse fix but the gamepad is still preferred.

I'd say while playing with a keyboard (w/ mouse fix) isn't ideal, it is aboslutely certainly doable and isn't a terrible detriment except in tense spots.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I don't get one thing about Dark Souls; do you not go for the best stat-based late game weapon and instead whatever weapon has the best stat scaling and attacks/playstyle that fits your needs? I see a lot of PvP vids of guys wielding giant gently caress-off end game weapons, but then here I see people upgrading regular weapons to +15 and maining them.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Why is there a picture of a man in this message? Why did 111 people + rate 'Magic'?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

FillInTheBlank posted:

I know dev messages have different icons but I do not remember ever seeing that one.

It wasn't there until like my sixth run through the 'Burg.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Adeptus posted:

Was it floating in midair? Last time I saw a massively up-voted 'Magic' sign it was hovering several feet above the ground.

Yes it was.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I pretty much casually went through Blighttown on my very first play recently. I wasn't too bothered by it. The real Dark Souls starts at Sen's Fortress it seems, though. gently caress that poo poo hole.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Vanderdeath posted:

You think Blighttown is rough? My friend, let me tell you about this place called the Tomb of the Giants.

I thought Blighttown was pretty chill; Sen's is a dickhole, though. Not so bad once I realized this Claymore is not going to outclass my Black Knight Sword until it's at least +10 though. I'm so sick of this sword. I've had it since the Burg.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

pmchem posted:

If you're using kb+m via dsfix/mousefix, will swords be easier to use than sorcery or vice-versa? Or both about the same in the kb+m ui? Picked this up in the steam sale and pondering whether to go INT or STR/DEX.

Neither are difficult. I'm 17 hours into using a KB+M due to Christmas shipping times, and I don't even know if I'll swap over to controller when mine arrives. I'm already used to this. The big problem is memorizing keyboard controls; if you need to know them, I can post a list here cuz a lot aren't explainable from just looking at the options.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Do people actually get banned for the FPS unlock? I gotta break 30 fps here.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bobnumerotres posted:

As someone else put very eloquently, the top guy in the book of the guilty is SL1 and has level 99 everything, and it has been that way for months. It is safe to assume no one gives a poo poo and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know about GFWL.

I figured that with all the other rampant hacking, this wouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I was having a pretty easy time on my new Uchigatana pyromancer and felt really good about life. Then I got to Anor Londo and couldn't find any summoning signs; Anor Londo marks the furthest point of my progression in the game and it felt really easy up until the second set of loving lightning spear guys. And then I met the silver knights.

gently caress Anor Londo.

What's up with not finding anyone to summon there, though? I even bumped myself up to level 40 to see if anything came up. Nope.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

How close to Inner Londo is being knocked off the ledge by the remaining bow Knight? That was kinda frustrating.

E: In regards to the above: god loving dammit.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 12, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

EightBit posted:

Just haul rear end up the buttress and blitz the right knight, drop down and hit the bonfire.

I'm so disgusted by the developers decisions to position these two enemies that I can only surmise that they suck off poo poo-covered pig dicks for recreation.

The two knights just won't switch to melee and insist on using their bow at point blank range. Which works perfectly for them.

E: I did it eventually. what a god-awful section though.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Would anyone be interested in helping me with Ornstein and Smough? I'm having a really tough time and I can't find anyone to summon; a Darkwraith who was losing and decided to blow the fire fountain spell multiple times in a row wasted my last humaniy so I have to find some. Any help would be nice though; they really don't seem like a fight intended for solo play.

E: In farming humanity I got some jerk Ornstein's Armour. I'm so jealous of this jerklord.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 12, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Man, Ornsteigh and Smough is a pretty frustrating section of the game for me. Whenever I go human and try to find someone to summon there are no summoning signs and I get invaded 100% of the time. Which would be fine if the invaders didn't have like 2 seconds of lag and phantom back stab me repeatedly. Even in those circumstances I get them to low hp, but you just can't fight something you can't defend against. Mainly phantom backstabs. Are people just not interested in getting summoned for Ornstein and Smough?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sindai posted:

O&S is possibly the single most popular coop spot, there should be multiple summon signs next to the bonfire Solaire sits at. Either you are way out of the expected level range or GFWL is loving with you. What's your level?

I'm level 41; it takes me quite a long time to even get someone to summon me in. I had like 100k souls but I don't wanna level up out of summoning ranges so I just bought Twinkling Titanite instead. I've been online for ages so it's not my IP list, but I thought 40-ish was moderately high for Londo.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 12, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sindai posted:

I was getting summoned pretty frequently for O&S at level 54. you've got plenty of room.

Maybe I'll bump myself up to level 45-48 then.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Opposing Farce posted:

What's probably actually happening with those 'phantom backstabs' is that they're running straight past you and pivoting around to your back. This video shows the technique. It's not too hard to prevent that from happening once you know to look for it.

No; it's straight lag. One of the backstabs didn't even register as damage and he wasn't even in range for an autoattack + was in front of me when it happened. A lot of the people I end up fighting in Dark Souls take a good second to even register damage done and hit me well out of striking range. I haven't bothered PvPing intentionally for that reason; I assume it's a side effect of being a west coast player in a game that doesn't care about region or continent.

On another topic, can your IP list become overpopulated? Like if you're logged in for 2+ hours, does your list of connectable IP's just get full of people who have disconnected? Or does it purge itself?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 12, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

AndroidHub posted:

I have a friend who's trying to use a ps2 controller with one of those usb adapters and it's working almost perfectly but the axis on the right stick is reversed and there's no apparent way to fix it, would anyone have any suggestions? I feel like it was a pretty big oversight that they didn't include a way to mess with controller binds in-game considering how difficult it is to play without one.

Use X360CE. I had the same issue.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I beat the game today and it is time for me to delve into PVP in all it's lovely glory.

Is there any general advice for doing sub- 75 PVP? I don't know what I want to do character wise, but since I've done dex pyromancy I would want to do a tank sorcerer. My concern there is that since I'll need high strength I probably shouldn't bother with an intelligence heavy character since I'll have sent to scale anyway.

One of my goals is to just invade regular players, with myself using regular equipment. I would probably so an early four kings to become a darkwraith though. Essentially I just want some good build advice or PVP character ideas.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Beard Yawn posted:

You'll have to be pretty specialized for midrange PvP(scaling weapons are less important than elementals) and Anor Londo is a good place to do it. I had an SL40 Darkwraith that invaded AL for a good long while, I had a good amount of success invading regular people with a few Twilight AL/NG+ guys mixed in. Pyromancy is your best friend, as it will outdamage basically every weapon you can wield at that point(I know you said you'd already used it, but seriously it's incredibly powerful for midrange PvP). The Ring of FaP is also very powerful in this range. For reference, I ran something close to this.

thanks for that. That build looks fun and pretty simple to cobble together. I'll give out a shot tomorrow. I'm reality just looking for a good entry to PVP before going dedicated to some SL120 build.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I started my Darkwraith character and got into PvP for the first time. A) Queelag's furysword is insane with 10 humanity. B) People don't like it when you Dark Hand them. C) Invading Sen's Fortress is hilarious and awful, but I think the comedy outweights the guilt.

I'm fairly disappointed by how poor the latency in PvP tends to be, though, and it's making me not really want to get into really pitched battles against good PvPers because it seems to come down to the best lag backstab.

I learned a lot about my ability to play Dark Souls, though. Having to clear up to the Four Kings with mixed stats and being level 40 or lesser was pretty fun, but I'm still not really willing to ever do Tomb of the Giants again. That place is just unfun as gently caress. I was considering going there to invade, though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm really enjoying this game and my PvP character. Too bad about the really lovely feeling backstabs. I've landed maybe 5 out of 40-50 fights, and I get backstabbed every single fight. If someone is fishing for them I will Great Combust them at this point. I don't feel guilty anymore.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Tallgeese posted:

You should use Black Flame for that; it does more poise damage. It still might not help if they're a good player and have over 60 poise, but no strategy is perfect.

Except maybe two-handed Demon's Spear shenanigans.

I haven't actually gotten to the Black Flame spell yet; I only entered the Township for about 70 minutes and spent almost all of that engaged in PvP. I did activate the elevator though!

Also, frankly, if they're good enough to not get smashed by pyromancy then I have no issue if they backstab me. They usually do a lot of poo poo that contributes to their win besides that. I had a pretty annoying experience w/ a fat guy in Havel's set giving me free backstabs, then when he was at 10% HP he just did like two of the huge Force Wave attacks and blew through the remaining 70% of my HP.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Any advice for a v. low level Four Kings attempt? I'm level 15 w/ the Gravelord Sword, trying to create a Darkwraith to invade people in the Burg and Parish with low-level gear. Ie: not my Gravelord sword.

I'm about to kill Sif because he's not very hard, but the four Kings is a big concern for me and any advice would be awesome.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So now that I'm level 53 and invading Oolacile Township and stuff, I'm really disappointed that I'm invading almost excusively people who want to be invaded. I try to interrupt their bows with dung pies and poison darts, but it's really not the same when they're not summoning phantoms and racing for the boss door to get you out of their world, so you really have to work and cause some grief to get your delicious liquid humanity from them.

Is there anywhere you can go from 50-100 where people just don't really wanna be invaded but will go human to summon phantoms and stuff? I want hatemail again.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Darkwraithing is extremely boring most of the time. But sometimes you just get these moments that make it all worthwhile.

As you might expect, the host fell off the narrow walkways in panic.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

What's the best starting class for a Miracle-using no shield, huge-rear end weapon + heavy armour character? I was trying to decide between Cleric and Knight, but do either really matter in the end?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I started a ridiculous Ultra weapon no shield run trying to medium roll instead of fat roll; it's fuckin' hard unless you're fast rolling. Not having a shield is nothing, but the medium roll makes the game WAY harder. Like holy poo poo. The early game was really easy because I didn't have comically heavy armour and I never really used my shield very much anyway, but once I slapped on the Iron Tarkus set it got hard as gently caress.

Also, all the best/most fun/coolest looking characters end up having to be so high level to fast roll. I have trouble staying under level 40 unless I'm intentionally trying to, just cuz I keep wanting to use new poo poo. Dex characters seem easier to stay low level with, though.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 1, 2013

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I don't get the whole Giant Dad thing; why do people not like and how did it become a Dark Souls meme?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Gazaar posted:

It's a boring cookie cutter way to be incredibly strong and difficult to deal with for roughly 0 effort and skill.

Is there something more to it than being a high-poise guy with a big sword?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Rudager posted:

So my grindingaimless wanderings in Darkroot forest meant I walked over Pinwheel like he wasn't even there, if it wasn't for the cinematic, I wouldn't have even realised he was a boss.

Pinwheel's just not a real boss. He's cool, though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Alabaster White posted:

If Nito is the First of the Dead, how he is made of other skeletons?

A bunch of people died at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

stringball posted:

My first invasion ever was a guy in parish who I now realize used CE to cheat in a bunch of silly armor and carvings (hearing HELLO! IM SORRY! HELLO! IM SORRY with him wearing a mimic hat was magical) who screwed around as long as possible

I fell in love with the game more there

Probably just a twink rather than someone using CE. Getting the carvings isn't hard and you always end up with a Mimic hat if you kill them all iirc.

• Locked thread