Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's a shame about the resolution/frame rate lock. Maybe they'll patch it with time.

What I'm really afraid of though is how hacking will quickly destroy the multiplayer. A lot of the fun of this game is invading/being invaded and trying to out-dick your opponent, won't really be fun if people have infinite health and deal 50k damage.

On the other hand, the mods for this game if they ever come about could be amazing. I'd pay money for a mod that just completely gets rid of everything below Quelaag and gives you an actually well designed demon ruins/izalith and a better boss than Bed of Chaos.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really hope I can run this game in a window. I run every game in a window anyhow and 720p isn't too terrible a size on a 1080p screen.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Can someone spoiler *where* the DLC starts and not what it is? I want to go in blind, but I don't want to pussyfoot around the whole game looking for it

I too am extremely curious about where the hell they put the entrances to the new areas.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryGuy posted:

The guy over at neogaf just released his resolution thing. It's here and some comparison shots are here.

I'd be wary about using this. Maybe I'm being :tinfoil: here but what if they ban people for using different software and stuff?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sheep posted:

Wow the framerate is loving terrible. Classic Japanese PC port, well done guys.

Please tell me more about that major game that-on day one-ran smoothly across all PC combinations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Toiwat posted:

Quick trip to Blighttown and no framerate issues. Smooth as silk.

It almost does not feel like Blighttown anymore. :unsmith:

Did they remove the mosquitos?

I wonder if they patched up bed of chaos to be less loving awful. I would just completely remove its physical attacks and have it only use the fire pillars.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Using the resolution fix I can't read any messages and a lot of text doesn't pop up in general.

The keyboard + mouse controls are loving god awful. I'm also getting a ton of horizontal tearing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is there a way to fix the horizontal tearing going on? Not using the resolution fix.

Is it just an issue with the game being windowed?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I get a really warm feeling whenever I hear the top Bell.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

Augh how could I forget these dart shooters in Blighttown? :argh:

Oh man. It begins. :allears:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Getting the infinite red eye orb is difficult and more for advanced players that are quite dedicated to being assholes.

It requires getting about 60% through the main game, and defeating an end-game boss (and arguably one of the hardest bosses) "earlier" than you should.

Someone should really hex edit themselves up to max level and find out where the expansion content is and then livestream all of it. I can't take it. I want it all spoiled.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Anime Souls.

...also, :gonk:

It's really really hard to make a normal looking human being, man or woman with the character editor. The true dark souls starts there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Leb posted:

So is mouselook broken for everyone at this point?

I hope they keep the mouselook how it is. That and the button icons are pretty much a giant warning that you should play this game with a controller, it is simply not designed to be played with Keyboard + Mouse, but it is extremely intuitive with a 360/PS3 controller.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dreggon posted:

What's the button to pause the game and check menus? Escape isn't working.

Start button. On a controller. Do not play this game with keyboard and mouse.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

No I meant recommendations for a controller? I'm used to PS3 controllers but I don't think they work with PCs very well, right?

Logitech controllers are awesome, a 360 controller also works really well obviously.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

I've heard Chaos covenant can let you infect others with the egg head but it's never worked for me even at +3

The only way to infect others is to be infected yourself and use the egg attack.

Not really worth it, being that you really won't get to see it happen and there's no way to be sure it ever did.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

Anyone know if there's going to be a demo release anytime soon?

I'm interested in this game but with its brutally hard reputation I don't want to buy something I'm gonna get frustrated with and hate because I'm a scrub.

It's not so much that it's hard, it's more that it's very punishing if you let your guard down/make bad decisions.

The game doesn't hold your hand, ever, in any way, you are on your own, but the only "brick walls" are some of the more difficult bosses and you can engage in JOLLY CO-OPERATION to make even the toughest bosses piss-easy.

Really, you die every now and then and as long as you learn from the deaths the difficulty curve will be very smooth, and you'll be an rear end in a top hat harassing level 10s with lightning weapons in no time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Attention Horse posted:

God drat, just buy that loving gamepad dude.

Yes seriously. There are other games where keyboard + mouse controls are tolerable or at worst slightly confusing but in this game it totally butchers the controls, because it just doesn't translate at all.

It's like playing an FPS game with a joystick for flight simulators or a steering wheel.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KildarX posted:

Comparing a rotten apple to a slightly less rotten apple I suppose. It isn't the worse but it suffers from what all modern console ports suffer [Controls not optimized worth a poo poo, UI problems, et all] They did make it look pretty though I suppose.

I don't know how much the controls could be optimized for PC. Combat is based on lock-on which makes mouselook useless, and all the inventory and UI is based on things being on the left and right of a controller.

Even if they spent sometime coming up with ingenius ways to make the controls more intuitive on the PC it wouldn't be as good as a pad. Again, it's like playing an FPS game with a steering wheel.

EDIT:
Rookersh: Do. Not. Add. To resistance. This should be in the OP in giant bolded font. Any point in resistance is a wasted point.

You should have just enough strength/dex for your desired weapons, 40 points in your main stat (be it str, dex, int, or faith, 50 if you want to use very specific skills/weapons), just enough points for the desired amount of attunement slots, and everything else should be dumped in Vit and End (with priority on End).

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 24, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

I have, i set it to the xbox emulation profile and it worked with no other setup required. I already played this on ps3 so it was a completely natural transition.

It is really nice to feel like I am in a 'new' community, and encountering people who dont fully know the game, the only side effect I guess is people are figuring out how to get involved in coop and stuff, I dont see many summons beyond the upper/lower burg areas.

So far I've skipped taurus and gaping dragon (still phantoming for the monies), but I'm stuck on Sif, he just does so much damage. I have a grass crest shield and scimitar at +5, and pyromancy glove at +7, I can only get him to about half health :(

That fight is all about having a good shield. If you have enough stability and endurance to take his full spin attack without getting rooted, you are completely invincible and the fight is a joke.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I am willing to bet someone has reached the expansion content already.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J Detan posted:

After making several wrong turns with my Thief, I found my way to the Valley of the Drakes . The sword that I found there made undead burg a lot easier, let me tell you.

Just don't upgrade that sword. It's pretty trashy and should only be used until you get the Drake Sword, and the Drake should only be used until you've upgraded another weapon beyond +5 or you can use the Zwei. (Zweihander totally wrecks poo poo and it has no equal in damage when upgraded to max fire/lightning, unless there's an even better weapon now in the bonus content).

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aegeryn posted:

Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

Lesson learned: Do not carry around too many souls.

You can make those souls back easily with some assists dude, don't sweat it. Read the console thread there are people that have lost 2+ million souls at once.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

What the deal with the Leaderboard stuff in this game? Only one of your characters at a time can be on it or something?

Yeah I'm wondering about this too.

Also, leaderboards?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tolain posted:

Do you mean the astora sword? Because i'm using that now and was debating if to upgrade it or not. I'm doing a faith/dex build and looking for weapon ideas. Don't particularly want to use the drake sword because I used that for like 80% of my first playthrough. Zweihander sounds fun but I'm not dipping into STR much.
I do mean that sword.

The best faith weapon is a great/ultra greatsword upgraded to max blessed/occult. You really shouldn't spend too much time with the Drakesword, if you've found other Embers and green/large titanite it's already obsolete.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

so... have hackers appeared yet? I guess I should start playing soon so I can hopefully be done before the online is ruined

As others have said, more people will play legitimately than not. And people using SL 999 stuff and hex editing will probably get caught the second they try to connect.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyways real Dark Souls story. I was dicking around in the Undead Burg trying to kill that dude hidden behind a master key door that has a huge mace, and kept losing,

The way to win that fight is to literally just circle him and keep stabbing him in the back. If you deal some sort of elemental damage he'll go down in 3-4 stabs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Could this chart be added to the OP? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

poo poo is useful especially for all the newcomers we're going to get.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The forums are crashing a lot and I feel like it's, in large part, due to this thread. :tinfoil:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Midnight shortcut breakdown!

Spoilers ahoy:

The first shortcut that's pretty easy to miss as a newbie:
Undead burg to firelink shrine. In the area with the huge knight mini-boss before the Gargoyles there are some fenced elevators in a corner there. Get into one of these elevators to unlock a fantastic shortcut between the church and firelink shrine. This shortcut is also the key to some secret content.

Sewer shortcut:
In the depths, (note that this requires a key within the depths) there is an area with two rats, an ankle-deep pool in the middle and a single slug monster on the ceiling, you can also see a waterfall. There is a passage that is essentially a big handicap ramp upwards, and this is a major shortcut between the beginning of the depths and the end, as well as the depths and the small sewer passage at the beginning of Undead Burg via the "normal" entrance.

Skip loving everything blight town shortcut:
Have a master key (the only gift worth anything), enter new londo by the elevator directly underneath firelink. On the same "wall" as the elevator down there, there should be another elevator that leads to the valley of drakes. There should be a large cavernous entrance in plain sight, no dragon fighting necessary. This leads pretty much right to the end of blight town. You will be skipping some great gear, such as the Eagle Shield, ninja sword/armor, and an attack buff pyromancy spell, but if you have decent equipment or are very skilled you can use this shortcut to clear advanced content extremely early and acquire late-game weapons at a low level.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I used a merch-bought shortbow and regular (non wooden, don't be so cheap) arrows. Took 15 shots with 12 dex. People are just plain doing something wrong on this thread.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The worst submarine posted:

Anyone wanna help a level 22 out with the ornstein fight? I'm stuck here and I've got one humanity left :(

Why are you at 22 and fighting ornstein? You are like 25 levels lower than the average player, no wonder you can't get help.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sankis posted:

What level are most people at for Capra? I'm at 20ish and can't find help. Stupid level ranges.

Don't bother really, people don't assist for that fight.

Just:
Run/roll like hell up the stairs, and kill the dogs which are a lot faster than Capra. Then just lead him up the stairs, make him fall, attack when he's recovering from the fall, rinse and repeat until the fight is over.

The only difficult part of the fight is avoiding getting mangled in the first five seconds. If you can escape that it is piss-easy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SixtySix posted:

You gotta use a claymore +10

drat. Are there guides up for the DLC content yet?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SixtySix posted:

nope, just a lot of scattered information. Anything in particular you want to know?

1. How to get there, I know it has something to do with rescuing Dusk.
2. What the four new bosses are (they've already shown off 3 in previews).
3. If there's any incredible items

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a loving jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance
You clearly are trolling because all those suggestions are loving awful.
1. The game saves constantly.
2. Quicksave would ruin the game, and in my opinion, ruins any game because it trivializes the difficulty and takes away any penalty from dying, which is a core part of this game.
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of those because it's just pure trolling.

:frogout:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Imagine you're looking at dark souls/demon souls. Now replace the combat wholesale with Gothic 3 or Risen 1 and change nothing else.

BAM, I'm satisfied.

Good for you. Now get out or stop bitching.

poo poo I wish every game involving any sort of sword and board dragon-fantasy fighting just shamelessly copied and pasted Dark Souls' combat system and risk/reward system for death and exploration, then other games might be as good as this one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SixtySix posted:

How to get there:

1. Kill Hydra, rescue Dusk, go see talk to her and buy whatever you need
2. Go thru Anor Londo and get Lordvessel and place it
3. Go to Duke's Archives, first room past the first bonfire is is a new crystal golem, kill it and get the broken pendant
4. Go back to were you rescued Dusk, there will be a weird lookin portal. There's a bonfire right thru there where you can save and warp to and from.

Four new bosses:

1. A chimera with a poison tail. Uses lightning and melee. Appears to be weak to lightning. Chop off his tail for a poison whip. Drops Guardian Soul, not sure what it does. He's fast and moves very quickly. Ranged battle would probably be best.

2. ARTORIAS. He's...not too easy. Melee, doesn't appear to be weak to fire, lightning or divine. He moves very quickly and will try to do a power up super saiyan; attack him with everything you got when he does that and you can stunlock him out of that. Try to summon help for this one, two other phantoms will make it much easier. Drops his Soul, which can be used to ascend a +10 Claymore into the Abyss Sword, or you can visit this same area later, meet Ciaran, and trade his soul for her two daggers, which would be great for a DEX/Crit build. After killing him Dornhall will sell his set for 20k per piece.

3. Optional black dragon! This is a very cinematic and exciting battle and I haven't even come close to beating it. You'll find a key through careful exploration of the area past Artorias. Use that key at the top of Artorias' tower to meet Gough, who will shoot the dragon from the sky, allowing you to fight him. This dragon is a hardass, so be advised. Cutting off his tail gives you the Obsidian Greatsword.

4. Manus, who appears to be Flamelurker and is apparently the Pygmy. At the very bottom of what appears to be Tomb of the Giants Part II. Drops his soul which can be crafted into a Catalyst. I haven't fought him, he is apparently a badass.

Incredible new items:

1. Little wooden carvings that you can drop (they are reusable) that will say something to all the phantoms in your world in Gough's voice. Stuff like "I'm sorry" or "help me!"

2. The Guardian Set, a super heavy set of armor, lighter that Havel's, 98 poise for the whole set, and better resistances. Found piece by piece in the Royal Wood. I really like it.

3. A loving rear end in a top hat merchant who will also Darkwraith you. Kill him for his weird Joker with a top hat set. He sells nothing of use for way too much money.

4. Three new Sorcery spells and a Pyromancy combustion-like. They use Dark Magic, which apparently does extra damage to humans. The Sorceries all take an INT score in the mid teens, nothing too crazy.

5. An item that emits a WoG-like field to repel Dark Magic.

I will say that the DLC area is tough, I wouldn't go there before level 55-60, and make sure you have some good weapons.

Aaaah! Thank you, this is amazing, and thanks to the others who answered my questions about how to get in.

I'll probably go into the DLC area once I'm at the "Re-running kiln over and over for ore" point, as most will. From what a lot of people have been saying it's tougher than the main-game content.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Assisting for gaping dragon has to be the worst.

You always get people with lovely weapons that can't damage it at all so the fight lasts an hour, and then they find a way to die when he's at 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The first boss fight is a very nice tutorial on a few things:

1. How to deal with an opponent that has slow but strong attacks.
2. Being aware of your surroundings.
3. Not getting greedy with attacks.
4. The taurus demon's high health makes sure you are consistent and patient with your hit-and-runs.

The things you learn during that fight are applicable through the entire game. It's an amazing boss fight for that.

• Locked thread