Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Related to current control dickery talk: Almost every time I go to fall-stab something, be it on a staircase or from a balcony onto a boss or whathaveyou, I always, without fail, light attack immediately afterward. Even if I only hit the fall-stab button once, I hit the ground and don't even bother rolling. It's just this weird oddity that I can't figure out.

The inverse applies to rolling; if I roll and then try to attack, my character will just stand there like a doofus and do nothing for no good reason, and then attack a second later, which I guess was explained a few posts up.

It's only situationally useful so it's not that big a deal, but why would the game think I hit the button twice when I only hit it once? :psyduck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a horribly arachnophobic person, Quelaag and her extended family don't really creep me out because they don't really look like spiders. I mean, they have the same body and a bunch of creepy legs and whatnot, sure, but they certainly don't act like them. I mean I don't live in Australia or anything but I've never seen a spider who breathes lava and has a woman attached to it before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love how if you have the Old Witch Ring equipped Eingyi is like "whoa dude just because you speak her language don't mean poo poo so don't get too big for your shoes now <:mad:>" as if it's possible to know what it does before you talk to Quelaag's sister.

I don't see you with an Old Witch's Ring, mister blightpuss. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't want to say "it's all in good fun" because cursing is pretty annoying, but getting upset enough to want people to be banned is kind of overreacting. If anything it's a minor inconvenience at best? It isn't really in the "spirit of the game" to hack in stuff that can instantly kill you with scripts or whatever, but it's a game that is on PC, what do you expect? You can't go into it thinking everyone is going to fight fair in a game where invading the worlds of other real live players and murdering them can be lucrative.

EDIT: Before I am responded to with the fact that you can get hacked to where invaders can do stuff kill your NPCs, yes, I know that already. Good luck finding someone else who knows you can do that except DGrayed himself and some people that messed around with his cheat engine a whole bunch (and also being invaded in an area where they can actively get to an NPC without a fog wall, of which there are few).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 5, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't say it wasn't justified, only that even if it is made bannable it's not going to solve anything. This is like people getting upset about duping guns in Borderlands 2. Nobody cares until it's either relevant to you or you sympathize with someone that it happened to. This guy is upset because dumb hacker bullshit happened to him, and while it does suck, I can't exactly sympathize with him because that's just a thing that happens in this game sometimes. None of it is legitimate because they're breaking the game just to mess with people, but my earlier point was that it's a game that rewards you for being an rear end in a top hat, so expecting people to play by the rules is unrealistic.

Yeah, you can't see it coming that you get summoned to help someone else and it turns out they're a dick, but how much does that really set you back? Being cursed sucks, yeah, and you don't get to help out the person you thought you were helping, but the game barely even penalizes you for getting killed. It's really hard to screw someone over permanently in the game. In the case of killing other peoples' NPCs, I do agree that in particular is a problem, but people dicking around with the game is to be expected. His anger is still justified regardless.

EDIT: I was wrong. The bottom section of DGrayed's Pastebin details exactly how to do the killing NPCs and friendly co-op invasions thing. I do see how that could be a problem but at the same time it's really not worth waging a war on in a game that is partially about dicking over other people.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 5, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then in that case, yeah, I concede, because like I said I agree with him. I was associating him with the same kind of people that hate players that hack characters to level 120 for PVP, which is not the same thing at all. There's just like this splinter group of people that think you should spend 30 hours leveling a character legitimately to 120 JUST to fight other players in organized stuff like that's not a hard thing to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh i'm pretty sure banning them would solve the problem since the cheaters wouldn't be able to play. You know, the guys breaking the rules?

The Cheat Engine script includes a script to disable GFWL temporarily that you sometimes have to run to prevent locking the game up because memory editing is already supposedly against the rules. :ssh:

Edit: Hell, unlocking the framerate in the game itself with DSFix has a warning on it that says it can get you banned from GFWL. I have never seen it happen but my point is that people are constantly breaking the rules with stuff that is already bannable and there are no repercussions. If it were automatic like VAC like the guy said, I guess that would be better than what there is now? I don't know.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 5, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

Hey Macguyver's_Mullet, can you explain what happened when you were summoned as an invader?

Like, did you rise up red, did you get the notification you invaded, etc?

It's happened to me twice, personally, and it was different both times. Once I rose out of the ground red and it said he invaded me even though I was summoned to his world, and another time he was red and it didn't give a message at all. It really isn't a thing that is supposed to happen so the game doesn't know what to do. Maybe it was even more messed up for him.

But I digress. I've had people do really funny poo poo like dragging bosses into normal areas and fighting them with me somehow after invading me, and then I have also had a dude with an insta-kill Shotel (dressed as Lautrec) that set me on fire, while simultaneously filling my curse bar. It's like I said, it just happens sometimes and it sucks but oh well?

EDIT: I had an invader kill me so hard that I died, stood up from the bonfire, and then immediately died again. My bloodstain was still there though, so the joke was on him that time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are people that like to just be dicks because it's funny to them. It's not funny to people on the receiving end of it and that's the point of it. It's pretty dumb. I mean, there are two whole covenants devoted to being a dick that they could join instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I foolishly started a Soul Level 1 run thinking I'd be able to use weapons other than axes and clubs. The toughest part about it is really how limited your options are. You can plink away at bosses forever if you need to with your tiny little hand axe but jesus it'd be so much easier to just go in and slaughter them with a normal weapon but the Pyromancer just can't hold them right. I guess that's what Pyromancy itself is for, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FrickenMoron posted:

Did you really expect a wide weapon selection at SL1?

No, but there sure are a good handful that would have been extremely useful if the Pyromancer had literally 1 more dexterity to start! The axes and clubs are part of the challenge, I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but the moveset makes me want to use it to punch myself in the head. There are things worse than death in Dark Souls and their names are unfortunately Club and Reinforced Club.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PunkBoy posted:

Got this game gifted for me, and I'm enjoying having my rear end kicked. I'm having some frustrating performance issues, though. I have DS fix installed and I've put the graphical settings in the ini to low to medium, but I'm still experiencing a good amount of graphical stuttering. I have a Radeon 7700 installed and I can run games like Dishonored and Borderlands 2 on high settings with little problems, so is Dark Souls really that graphically intensive? Or is there something I may need to adjust with my card settings?

The game is just a horribly shoddy port. It's optimized for PS3 and 360 which means it runs abysmally awful on PC, which is only kind of From's fault. They admitted right from the get-go that it wasn't going to be very good because they've never worked with PC stuff and porting before, and they were right. Performance is spotty across the board. A lot of people are running the game without a hitch, while others like me can barely even get the drat thing working without jumping through a million hoops while using DSFix and hopping on one foot while praying to the dark lord satan or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you haven't yet, turn off ingame AA it ruins everything forever. And motion blur if you can stand to live without it.

Also, one thing I find strange that I asked earlier but was never answered: Why does removing the game's DOF via DSFix decrease performance? Removing a postprocessing effect like that in any other game does nothing but make it run better but somehow Dark Souls finds a way to make things even worse. Is it just because of the way DSFix gets rid of it?

EDIT: Is there a way to actually disable vsync? That seems to be the difference between lovely performance and normal performance in a lot of games on my computer, and even forcing it off GLOBALLY in ATI's control center thing doesn't turn it off. DSFix has an option for it but it isn't enabled for use yet which sucks. Unless it already IS off and I just can't tell. This game is a mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered in a blanket of awful programming.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VodeAndreas posted:

I am loving retarded and can't jump to get to the last part of Bed of Chaos.
Just drop down onto the tree branch that crosses over the pit, no jumping involved. Indiana Jones, the chosen undead is not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't ever died to the Bed of Chaos. If you just run parallel to the holes that pop up in the floor (as in, keep them to one side of you at all times), he'll knock you forward or backward instead of sideways and thus into the hole. Or you could just roll out of the way of most of it. It's still a lovely fight, I guess I just don't understand how you can have so much trouble with it. The walk back after you die is presumably the most annoying part.

EDIT: I was actually just talking to a friend about this on Steam and apparently he still can knock you sideways? In that case yeah this fight pretty much sucks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 6, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was going to do a Dark Souls no-death run (Seath's dickery excluded because I can never skip it correctly) and record it with commentary and stuff, and I get killed almost immediately by the Hellkite Dragon landing right on top of me because I was moving too fast. Ironically, it's how I learned that is a thing that can happen while at the same time being utterly disappointed in myself. :v:

muike posted:

How much humanity does Chester sell? I bought 4, ran out of souls, said gently caress it and just decided to kill him then.

I'm fairly certain he has infinite stock, but I can't remember.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 7, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is "Man Mode" also known as "roll past one arrow and watch the knight try to stab you diagonally and fall to his death when you get close mode"? Because that's what I always do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It seems like they're pulling a "Pokemon Black/White 2" sort of thing where they make a direct sequel that turns out to only be kind of a direct sequel, but that's just me speculating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But wait, Dark Souls and Demons Souls are both abbreviated to DS. So if you abbreviate it, DS2 would be Dark Souls. It feels weird to me that Dark Souls 2 is the third game in the saga so far and I'm not sure why. :psyduck:

But yeah, like someone said, the second game was only called Dark Souls because they lost the license to Demon's Souls.

edit:

Sarkozymandias posted:

They aren't set in the same game world though.

Actually, yeah, you're right. I hadn't considered that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The port itself is really strange to me. For some people it runs absolutely flawlessly and always has, and for some like me it runs just plain awful without the resolution fix. Speaking of the resolution fix, I still don't understand why disabling the DOF stuff makes performance worse, and is even advertised as such. I think I asked this before in the thread and nobody knew the answer, so if I already did I apologize, but does anyone know why that would be?

A little side note: I don't get why every game that has a PC version nowadays is instantly called a port. In Dark Souls' case, it actually is one, but a lot of games have the PC version come out at the same time (as DS2 apparently will) and people still act like it's copy/pasted from whichever console they hate the most.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, the Iron Golem knocked me right off the edge with that knock-you-into-the-air move, and Tarkus delivered the final blow while I was in the process of falling to my death, so I won at the same time that I died.

And then my bloodstain was, uh...

Here.

...and un-retrievable.

:darksouls:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazed posted:

Also: That section of the rooftops you're overlooking. Does anyone know if that's reachable at all? I spent a while poking around Sen's and had no luck, but Dark Souls seems to have a lot of "if you can see it, you can get there" places.

It is. You can kill the giant that opened the gates for you in the cutscene for an extra titanite chunk, too! I think you have to do a strategic drop from the part with the tiny walkway leading up to the crossbow dude, either that or an invisible wall. I can't remember.

EDIT:

I started the game over on a new character who only double-hands huge weapons while being COMICALLY skinny. At the moment I am awaiting co-op partners at the gargoyles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dreggon posted:

Make the head even bigger.

Better? It was at the normal 0 so I set it to 3.5 :v:

Also, comically thin Chet is a popular summon! I've gotten summoned three times so far, which is surprising because it's like 5 in the morning where I am, when the game is usually almost dead.

EDIT: BOAR HEAD BROS UNITE! YESSSSSS THIS IS THE BEST

We got killed by a hacking invader that had a weapon that somehow inflicted toxic, though. :smith:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 10, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

superh posted:

There are a bunch of real weapons that inflict toxic, dude who is hacking to make his character look freakish :ssh:

I wasn't calling him a hacker in a negative connotation other than to point out he was doing so but thanks for the info, I had no idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Are either of the ghost blades viable weapons? I've only had a jagged ghost blade but the r2 makes me laugh so I'm wondering if its worth upgrading.

As I recently found, the jagged ghost blade is one of the more useful SL1 run weapons. It has its uses in normal combat and upgrading it CAN make it a pretty good weapon but really it's mostly effective against ghosts when you're out of transient curses or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vagrant-based PVP would be a pretty neat thing. Maybe after three or four hours of leaving your bloodstain where it is, it'll despawn and give you a little "SOULS MIGRATED" message. Then it'll show up in someone else's world as a vagrant, and if it manages to kill someone, you get a little bit of the souls they had, like it's fighting for you or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always end up getting inappropriate weapons for the characters I'm playing as. On my greatswords-only character I dropped a Balder Side Sword from the first big shielded one I killed. My very first black knight kill dropped the black knight greatsword on my rapier/parrying character.

This game hates me. It hates me and it shoves it in my face all the time.:eng99:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can go afk anywhere as long as an enemy isn't pursuing you.

Unless you're human. If you're human you are NEVER SAFE. In fact the game will kick you right the hell out of bonfires if someone successfully invades and you're sitting down.

(This only applies to areas that you haven't beaten the boss of yet)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

redmercer posted:

I know this game is weird about phantom colors but I swear I almost had my host killed by a grey phantom :stare: The really weird thing is, from my perspective it was a perfectly normal grey phantom that I couldn't hurt

NPCs can be aggroed by hosts, but you can't do anything because they stay as gray ghost-people the whole time. That's most likely what you were seeing. All too often I've been summoned for the gargoyles only to stand there shrugging as the guy takes on Lautrec by himself because I can't help him. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I figured out part of what I love so much about Dark Souls, just from an aesthetic standpoint. It takes the sort of impossible geography you see in old fantasy art, and actually makes it work. And it's loving awesome.

My favorite thing about the game is that it's basically completely seamless. The game world interconnects 100% with one tiny exception (The Abyss feeds into the top of the Demon Ruins, but that's likely because the abyss itself is supposed to be "nowhere"). You can run through the whole game without a single loading screen from the start of Firelink to Anor Londo which is really neat to me (deaths non-permitting).

Also Lordran is perched precariously on top of a massive system of eldritch trees with is drat awesome. The game's faux-medieval aesthetic just works so well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, that person that said they were in the trailer and were cast as the "love interest" on their Reddit Ask Me Anything whatsit. Does that mean the game itself is going to have a love interest for the protagonist or were they exaggerating? Because I really, really don't see that happening given that your character is supposed to be just you and not a specified body. Like, I'm not going to call bullshit because the person proved they were, y'know, the person in the trailer... but... love interest? Can that really be a thing?

EDIT: I didn't read the reddit thing but according to talk, they didn't provide any for that part of the post. So I just don't even know what is going on.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 14, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess. But, like... a love interest? I still can't grasp the concept of that being a thing in the world of Dark Souls. Solaire being your summoning buddy is a totally different thing than an actual person that shows affection toward you in a romantic way. Having a love interest would provide some kind of hope and we all know hope is merely a word left in orange soapstone messages by severely misguided people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So she's like Anastacia except she can talk and move around? Anastacia manages to be well written without saying a single word for the vast majority of the game, somehow!

In all seriousness I really don't see how it could work out. Generic Love Interest getting killed to give the protag something to fight for is literally the only way they could try to pull her existence off in the first place, and even then they'd have to try really hard to make it done well. It's just that it's a trope they really don't have to fall into that they are inevitably going to if they put in a specific love interest for your COMPLETELY SELF-GENERATED PROTAGONIST to have.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 14, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Another point is that I really doubt the reference model was privy to tangible story details. It's entirely likely that she didn't really understand what her role was until she watched the trailer herself, and that was just her interpretation.

This is what I gathered from it (or at least am hoping). I figure she's just mistaken about how big her role is going to be. Having a distinct love interest (for your male-or-female protag?) just seems like it'd be uselessly stretching the genre in my mind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just hope they don't go back in the direction of Boletaria's Nexus. I didn't really like the 'level hub' design. Granted, the setting variation was neat, for how much there was, but the "this is a safe haven, warp to anywhere from here!" model just didn't fit the rest of the game's style of exploration to me.

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

Lets hope for some good writing :v:

Amen to that. (But again, hope is just a word laid down in soapstone messages when someone accidentally hits down one too many times when they meant to choose 'sorrow', so take that as you will)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Just beat that fucker Gwyndolin. Spent more than 3 hours trying to kill him. Most of the time was spent walking from the first Anor Londo bonfire to the fogdoor over and over and over and over... :unsmigghh:

The worst part about it is earlier this evening I took out Biggie Smalls in less than a minute.

And this, my friends, is why you use the ring to join and then immediately betray him instead of up and murdering Gwynevere. Saves you a long walk to a quick death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

so the new director's comments suggest to me that he's going to go in a different direction with that kind of stuff.

This feels like a baseless claim. The guy said one vague phrase about making the game more direct, which could apply to anything. Then the writer of the article speculated that it was about story and equated it to Skyrim (like an idiot). It isn't worth getting concerned about until it's clarified for us. When the guy comes out and says "Oh when I said that I meant the story" then freaking out is a totally viable option, but it just doesn't feel specific enough to be worked up over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You saved him! Good job! Now summon him for the final boss and help him finally find his sun by lighting himself on fire.

EDIT: If you open the shortcut and kill the bugs you've done what you need to do to save Solaire. The sunlight maggot doesn't respawn but the other 8 do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dear diary: Today I beat the game at Soul Level 1! The real Dark Souls ends here! It took forever and a day and the four kings totally sucked rear end but I did it and I am proud.

Looking at my damage output, that lightning reinforced club is a god damned monster when it's upgraded all the way.

• Locked thread