Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Unfortunately, no. Next time you're fighting one, stand in front of it when it does the really long wind-up where it brings down the pole and swings its tail around. Usually I'm behind one when it starts up and I get smacked by the tail, but this time I decided to tough through it, and uhh... Yeah. You get caught in the break in the circle of the pole and he slams you into the ground repeatedly while you flail helplessly. Not fun.

It did enough damage to kill me if that's any factor in when it triggers, but yeah. I feel like I'm going to put 300 hours into this game and suddenly find some platform in the Crystal Caves I've never known existed or something. It just never ceases to impress me with the sheer amount of stuff there is.

I've been caught by that catch-pole on several occasions. Every time, without fail, I always knew - "I'm hosed."

Have you been to Ash Lake yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

It just never ceases to impress me with the sheer amount of stuff there is.

That's one of my favorite things too. So much of the game feels like stuff a friend made up because his "uncle works at FromSoftware." Like, if you give 30 humanity to Quelaan, you can open up a shortcut in Lost Izalith and kill a special bug and save Solaire who can join you in the final boss fight! That sounds like garbage, yet it's true!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

quiggy posted:

I found one of them and promptly died. I'm not very good at Dark Souls.

That's okay, buddy, I'm right there with you. :respek: If you're at the Gargoyles (I did them last night) I'm a short bit past that but now slamming my face into the next boss over and over with zero success. I actually haven't even managed to hit him yet!

Hooray! :saddowns:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just got caught by a catch pole and survived, although it did a fuckload of damage to my full Havel's tank character.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

No idea why I never thought of this before, but I figured a way I could make NG+ an actual challenge. Just throw all your stuff away at the beginning and never look back.

Also Jesus Christ that Halberd is ridiculous, I thought the BKGA had the highest damage output but that thing looks like it's doing more, unless I'm remembering poorly.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So are you betting you could just nakedpunch Manus to death or what?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^ He's not saying to go for a zero gear run, but to start from scratch.

Balobam posted:

No idea why I never thought of this before, but I figured a way I could make NG+ an actual challenge. Just throw all your stuff away at the beginning and never look back.

Do this in an area that can generate a vagrant.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok, so I'm in Darkroot right now, and sort of at a wall. I've beaten the Gargoyles (thanks Solaire!), but can't make much progress past the stone giants, a thing that a bunch of messages call "illusory wall", or the moth boss.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

sector_corrector posted:

Ok, so I'm in Darkroot right now, and sort of at a wall. I've beaten the Gargoyles (thanks Solaire!), but can't make much progress past the stone giants, a thing that a bunch of messages call "illusory wall", or the moth boss.

Are you trying to get past the wall with the glowing seal on it? That's a door. You need to buy the Crest of Artorias from Andre for 20k souls to open that. The illusory wall is to the left of that. Whack it or roll into it. There's a bonfire behind it.

The moth boss is easy, doubly so if you're a caster. Summon Witch Beatrice (her sign is in the bush at the bottom of the stairs) and let her burn the boss down to almost nothing. When it lands, it'll start charging up a massive AOE blast, so just run up to it and smack it until it dies. Hopefully you'll kill it before the blast goes off.

To avoid the things it does, roll when the big homing blast is about to hit you, and either use the Crest Shield to block the little blue spikes or just roll out of the way.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The stone giants only have something like 200 hitpoints, they just have massive slash/pierce damage resistances. Whack them with a club a few times and watch them crumble.

The moth doesn't like fire at all, but you need a lot of health, a fool's luck or a high magic resistance shield to weather its crystal ray volleys until it lands for a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Darkroot is an optional area right now anyways (that particular area is entirely optional). The trick to the butterfly is to learn how to properly time your dodges so you can dodge the really slow magic attack. There's a certain shield you can get later that really helps against magic attacks if you want to postpone the fight. The trick to the stone giants is to just block, I guess? They aren't particularly hard, to be honest, since they don't punch hard enough to break through any half-decent shield. Definitely make sure that you're upgrading your shield, BTW. Use one with a high stability rating, it helps a LOT.

There's a key in the Undead Parish that leads to the next area you're really expected to go to. Read its description, it's for a door you already passed by.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, that helps, thanks. I'd gotten that, but then gotten preoccupied with the Gargoyles. I'll try to figure the next step out.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Would you guys be interested in watching me stream a sl1 run or watching my buddy play; who is debatably the worst gamer in history.

He tried meeleing the armored boar head to head for about 20 minutes and six deaths before he noticed he was doing 1 damage a hit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeninVS posted:

Would you guys be interested in watching me stream a sl1 run or watching my buddy play; who is debatably the worst gamer in history.

He tried meeleing the armored boar head to head for about 20 minutes and six deaths before he noticed he was doing 1 damage a hit.

The latter for sure.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ComradePotato posted:

Has the 20 hours I've put into mt STG/FTH build been a complete waste? I spoke to Rhea and her cohorts before going to Blightown and the went off to do what they were doing, then I came back up afterwards, killed Petrus, then, after some light farming to get my MSGS up to +10, Rhea and her goons REAPPEAR and start attacking me. Well, the 2 guys do, Rhea just runs away and punches urns. I went to absolve my sins and she disappeared, but she isn't in the parish church or anything like that. I was really hoping to use Wrath of the Gods as I've not a a character whose been able to yet.

I'm so annoyed. :(

I know you've sorted your problems out, but I wanted to pop in and say that no character is a waste. I threw out my original STR build because I was bad at the game and had yet to understand the glory MANMODE, switched to a Dex fighter, had that save get corrupted, and started over on a sorceror/dex fighter. My first two dudes were in no way wastes, the STR guy made me able to use moonlight greatsword and the dex guy made me able to use quick poo poo like QFS, and I crushed my way through large chunks of the game because of having learned them already. A lost character is just a practice run to polish your skills for the hard parts of the game :D

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Enjoy your poison arrows, dickheads! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Shameful equipment. At least you have combustion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, hello Capra Demon, so we meet at last!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Balobam posted:

Also Jesus Christ that Halberd is ridiculous, I thought the BKGA had the highest damage output but that thing looks like it's doing more, unless I'm remembering poorly.

I don't know how much damage the Red Tearstone ring adds but it must be a hell of a lot. He downed Quelaag in something like 25 seconds. She never even had a chance to move.

And I have a random question for you goons: what is your favorite weapon? Not necessarily the best, mind you.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

fennesz posted:

And I have a random question for you goons: what is your favorite weapon? Not necessarily the best, mind you.

BIG SMASH

Dragon Tooth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fennesz posted:

I don't know how much damage the Red Tearstone ring adds but it must be a hell of a lot. He downed Quelaag in something like 25 seconds. She never even had a chance to move.

Great demon machete. Or maybe the dragonbone fist.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I like the Zweihander. Two-handed R2 is just an overhead smash that crunches undead soldiers into the ground in the same way the Asylum demons smooshed you on the first few tries.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

BIG SMASH

Dragon Tooth.

Good call. I was thinking about starting (another) Dex run. I think I just might have to roll balls out into Strength and Endurance instead, see how it goes. For some reason I always mentally associate deep strength with heavy armor. Which makes me an idiot, I think.

As for me, I've always been a fan of the Silver Knight Straight Sword. Simple, yet refined. Classy as gently caress.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whoops, forgot my ring of sacrifice for Duke's Archives. No problem, I just won't die ever.

That's the first time I've actually gotten my bloodstain back from the first Seath encounter. Good thing, too, since I had a shitload of liquid humanity.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Cowcaster posted:

Great demon machete. Or maybe the dragonbone fist.

I'm a huge fan of the Great Demon Machete and the Great club. Just such a fantastic smashy feeling when you connect.

But my go to weapon is always going to be the claymore, simply because it rarely bounces off walls.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I wish every specific area in Dark Souls had a bonfire right outside the entrance.

Dying in Sen's Fortress before you reach the rooftops gives you this giddy feeling of having been spat out.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

fennesz posted:

Gough's bow.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Same.

Both answers. Best weapon in the game, all others are for scrubs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like being a forest hunter. I still don't quite know why I got so many, but I was summoned to be invaded a couple times, and the times I won I got nearly 70,000 souls. Which is still a big deal where I'm at.

Aug 24, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like being a forest hunter. I still don't quite know why I got so many, but I was summoned to be invaded a couple times, and the times I won I got nearly 70,000 souls. Which is still a big deal where I'm at.

One invader complained that he got 800,000 souls when he killed me. I told him that that was his prize for spending a whole hour searching for me in the forest.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mental Midget posted:

Enjoy your poison arrows, dickheads! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Try bravery. :colbert:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

FrickenMoron posted:

Try bravery. :colbert:
He screamed from the bottom of Anor Londo, dead for the 4th time.

The best way to play Dark Souls is to be as mischievous and tricky as the game is hard.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well that was pretty cool. Just powered through 4 kings(who I had never fought before), Seathe(who I had fought once and never beat), Sanctuary guardian(faster than my first time, probably due to +14 mabmode sword), and got Artorias on my first try.

I have learned well from Mab.

How much humanity does Chester sell? I bought 4, ran out of souls, said gently caress it and just decided to kill him then.

Aug 24, 2011

muike posted:

How much humanity does Chester sell?

All of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was going to do a Dark Souls no-death run (Seath's dickery excluded because I can never skip it correctly) and record it with commentary and stuff, and I get killed almost immediately by the Hellkite Dragon landing right on top of me because I was moving too fast. Ironically, it's how I learned that is a thing that can happen while at the same time being utterly disappointed in myself. :v:

muike posted:

How much humanity does Chester sell? I bought 4, ran out of souls, said gently caress it and just decided to kill him then.

I'm fairly certain he has infinite stock, but I can't remember.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 7, 2012

LtOrange
Apr 3, 2012
What are the odds that this game will go on sale before Christmas? Really want to pick it up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

doctor 7 posted:

He screamed from the bottom of Anor Londo, dead for the 4th time.

The best way to play Dark Souls is to be as mischievous and tricky as the game is hard.
Nope, try man mode. It's faster and easier than sniping them with poison anyway.

LtOrange posted:

What are the odds that this game will go on sale before Christmas? Really want to pick it up.
Kinda low since it has had several sales recently, but you can count on christmas discounts on amazon or steam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is "Man Mode" also known as "roll past one arrow and watch the knight try to stab you diagonally and fall to his death when you get close mode"? Because that's what I always do.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Is "Man Mode" also known as "roll past one arrow and watch the knight try to stab you diagonally and fall to his death when you get close mode"? Because that's what I always do.

"bad mode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the Jagged Ghost Blade supposed to be better than the regular Ghost Blade, despite the former being more common? Just looking at the numbers, the Jagged has a lot more power and does bleed damage, while the regular does slightly more on backstabs. Is there something I'm missing here?

• Locked thread