Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fina posted:

He's in there somewhere. I don't know if you have to talk to him or not for him to show up later, but spoiled incase you want to keep looking: Check around the outside area where you first encounter the rolling boulders. Look over the side of the ramp for somewhere to fall.

He actually sometimes doesn't show in the fortress, you shouldn't worry about it. No plot danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dreissi posted:

Finally got Smough and Orstein, had 5 estus left over this time. I was determined not to summon help, and I did it! Everyone listen to me brag! I am so awesome!

Seriously though, I've got all the best feeling.

It seems like everybody likes O+S as a fight, but I get really annoyed whenever I die and I have to walk a million miles to get back to them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zedd posted:

Bonfire > knight > knight > run to fog gate is short as hell, but I don't even bother fighting the giant guards in the main room though.

:doh: I've been using the starting bonfire across the twisty bridge.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Blighttown has a long rear end shortcut, but you don't actually need to fight the fat guys on your way back.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

He eats items and shits souls, pretty much.

He'll also break titanite pieces into smaller titanite pieces. Don't feed him any of your chunks or slabs though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha I get this now.

I don't have to go back and fight her do I? She let me leave peacefully and it seems like she just wants to stay in her creepy painting and I'm cool with that. I got some nice treasure and a poo poo ton of souls (I went up like 8 levels in there) so I'm content with leaving giant scythe lady alone.

Yeah, Painted World is totally optional. But like all bosses, you can get stuff out of killing her.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Are there any attacks in this game that you can't just weather by hunkering down in a shield? I was getting one-shotted by the Hydra head-burying attack until I stopped trying to roll away and just sat in place with the Eagle Shield up. It was like a tiny bit of stamina and hp damage, and I could zweihander like 4 of his heads at once.

Could I have still done that with say, a +5 heater shield?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

To be fair, there pretty much isn't any good ending.

Is there even anything positive that happens in Dark Souls?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Gravelord covenant thing seems to be a joke on the internet, what's the real deal?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You're terrible. Poor Sif :(

... though this post made me realize I forgot to get Laurentius out of that barrel. gently caress! :mad:

Do you still respawn if you get eaten by the Butchers?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rudager posted:

Haha, this is exactly me an hour ago.

I'm trying to knock the game over before GFWL dies after putting it off for ages.

OK, new plan there was a hole in the ground on the way to that Necromancer with some loot in it, drop down, oh cool a soul, OH gently caress A BLACK KNIGHT. YOU DIED!

That loving knight, sitting smug and invisible on a loving cliff above a chasm filled with bonewheels, that fucker buried an axe into my brain after I spent 15 minutes dancing around skeleton hamster balls like a loving bitch.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That's ominous. Well I guess abandoning the person he was sworn to protect is a good enough reason to die, even if he hasn't given any indication of other evilness or whatever you're warning me about.

Haha, try talking to Oswald up in the Belltower. He loooves talking about sin.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Sivek posted:

Going through Sen's Fortress is the best option since clearing Anor Londo unlocks deeper paths in areas that would be otherwise roadblocked.

It also gives you a bunch of good shortcuts.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Sivek posted:

My biggest point of frustration in the game probably. Just know that you can easily run past all the enemies that precede them. I don't know how much time I wasted killing those demon-gargoyle things until I realized I could blow right past them. I don't think I had a sweeter feeling in this game than successful parrying and riposting the archer on the right and getting clear of that section. It was likely the one time in the game where I successful parried/riposted with my life on the line.

If you hit the two that are in the covered platform with arrows, they try and run after you and one of them will slip off the platform because they get in each other's way.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Any tips for fighting the hydra in the lake? Barigas of the Sunlight maggot has been getting naked and it's not working.

In other news, on my faith dex character I got a BSS. Not sure what upgrade path I want to do with it though.

Get close to the Hydra and it'll switch from magic attacks to melee. You need a decent shield and some weapon with fair reach to get him.

Being naked probably won't hurt you, unless you're eating splash from his magic water.

From Earth posted:

Progress report: Both bells have been rung. Blighttown took me a couple of tries, but it wasn't too bad. The layout is confusing as hell, but there are no tough enemies (well, the giant things with clubs maybe, but you only have to pass them once to get to the next bonfire), and the blowdart guys not respawning was an uncharacteristically nice gesture by the developers. Cleared out the swamp, opened the shortcut back to the Firelink Shrine (which is now dead :saddowns:), and then beat Quelaag on the second try, thanks in part to a certain Maneater Mildred. Also, I met Frampt, which is just... :wtc: At least it's nice to finally have a place where I can dump my excess Hollow Soldier Waitcloths.

So, where next? Darkroot? New Londo? Or straight to Sen's Fortress?

Go through Darkroot so you can get a useful ember for upgrading things. Then Sen's.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Alteisen posted:

What class should I start with, if my intent is to use the Zweihander as early as possible.

You need like, 16 strength to use the Zweihander, you can pretty much get it as soon as you leave the asylum.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

A TREASURE CHEST ATE ME :mad:

This was your finest moment, in-game and irl.

Congrats :).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Put a little space between yourself and the butt until the attack goes off, then run forward after the AoE. You'll get a couple hits in before it reacts and then you can circle behind its butt again.

Queelaag is easy town if you're melee. You can hug her left arm and not get hit by any of her sword attacks, and she telegraphs everything else like crazy so you can always avoid lava and whatnot.

She might be the only boss that's actually harder to kill in co-op. It's hard to tell if she is going to use that aoe attack if you can't see her human part because a spider butt is in the way.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

Anyone with a level 45 character willing to assist me with O&S tonight? I've probably tried solo or Solaire 50 times and can't even get close. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'd be on around 9ish tonight CST

Is 45 the maximum SL for you summon, or is it your own? I can show up around then, although I've never beaten Super Ornstein.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Guys I finally reached Anor Londo. Oh my god the snipers. I'm gonna have to power through them, aren't I?

Just run!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

By the way, I haven't explored much. I went to the Darkroot Basin (from two entrances) but found a bunch of crystal dudes and died. I've already beaten the boss of Darkroot Garden, which just seems to be optional for the Havel Ring. I already went back to the Undead Asylum and beat the boss there (great trap, by the way). Is there anywhere else I could be exploring right now? I haven't really done anything in the way of plot or NPCs or anything besides ringing a bell. Again, I don't have the Master Key. I prefer not to sequence break on my first playthrough.

You're a little low on stamina, but thankfully the Zweihander will interrupt 90% of all enemy attacks so who cares?

Go fish it out from somewhere in the graveyard, and play through Blight Town. Don't be a baby!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I tried out the Zweihander but it has a really slow, uh, "start-up" animation which leaves me wide open. Is there a way to speed that up? I perhaps put a bit too much into Strength, I agree.

Are you using it two-handed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, is it faster two-handed? I've been using it one-handed.

You'll make a wimpy slow attack if you don't have enough Strength, but using two hands increases Strength by 50%.
You only need 24 for the Zweihander though, so you're fine on that front.

Just play at farther range I guess. It's got like, more than twice the range of the Drake sword.

• Locked thread