Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've picked this back up recently and I've gotta say that I'm having some good fun with it. I started with the Knight and have been using whatever swords I can get my hands on, though I dabble in a couple of other things as well like axes. I recently found the joys of lighting poo poo on fire, so I've ditched my Heal miracle for the time being in favor of Combustion and Fireball. I also got invaded twice this run, one from some dude in the parish who thoroughly kicked my rear end and another by someone who overextended in the Depths. The bosses have been pretty fun to fight, too. I was a massive idiot fighting the Capra Demon because I kept trying to make a beeline for the stairs when all I needed to do was ditch the armor, keep my sword and shield, and not dodge like a jackass. It's nice that the game rewards proper planning as well. The only times I've died are to errors of my own and the occasional stun-lock by a trio of jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Welp, I just got wrecked by Capra...

The dudes down there didnt give me trouble, but once I entered that white light... it was short. Very short. There a place I should be engaging from? Between the random dog and the demon itself I couldn't keep my shield up long enough to sustain any sort of punishment.

If the game constantly shits on you with the dog blocking the staircase (because that dog is a loving rear end in a top hat), just stay near the door and kill the dog as quickly as possible. Don't block any of the slow, overhead attacks because Capra will push right through your guard and gently caress you up. Dodge those instead. If you've got good stamina and a not-terrible shield, and as long as you don't over-extend and/or get cocky, he's nothing.

Edit: Also, the worst enemy in that fight will be the camera because, no matter which method you use, it's cramped as hell.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 5, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

moller posted:

If a single attack depletes your stamina you will be staggered, but the only unblockable attacks from the single player I can think of is the one Nito uses at range and the grapples that some enemies and bosses have. I've never tried stacking enough stamina and stability to block Havel, but I assume you could.

Havel's attacks can be blocked, yeah. A good shield and stamina can carry you easy.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I understand that the Four Kings' primary element is magic (which I've gotten everything set up for) and I understand the tells on most of their attacks, but once another one hops in, I start screwing up really badly. Would calling in help be worth it at all or would I have to suck it up and be more aggressive?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

FUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuck Blighttown.

What keeps poisoning when I stand still?

If you mean getting toxic, some dickhead is shooting darts at you. Find him and murder him.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I gotta ask why the hell didn't you repair your weapons? There's a bonfire on the way to her.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Meat Recital posted:

Gaping Dragon has an acid attack? :raise:

The one where it launches some slime at you if there's enough of an opening. It's not really threatening unless your durability is already low for some reason.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
As it turns out, putting on Havel's armor and wailing on the Four Kings with a Claymore two-handed was all I needed. Already making my way through the Duke's Archives.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The Bed of Chaos is the worst goddamn boss design I've ever seen for a game that doesn't have good platforming whatsoever.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have homeward bones you can use those. They are finite but you can always buy them iirc

The Undead Merchant in the sewer tunnel sells them for 500 a pop, which is chump change. There's a couple of other people who sell them, too.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Nostratic posted:

I think that's what I'm going to do, it's pretty easy to grind souls on the area outside the O&S fog door. Just upgrade the hell out of my halberd or something.

If you go from the big hall to the hallways with the Silver Knights, you can rack up ~20k souls depending on which groups you go after and how much you feel like walking.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it just my eyes or is Ornstein still alive before Smough squishes him? I swear you see the dude's hand moving just as the hammer comes down. If so, goddamn.

Yes, you're correct and it makes Smough that much more of an rear end in a top hat.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, once you land the killing blow on the final boss, that's it, you're on your next run. Literally any point before that, you can Homeward Bone for any reason at all.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The ring's pretty good for Blighttown, yeah, since you won't get slowed down by the water.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wait are you sure about that? I thought it was the soul of Smough that Frampt disliked.

This is correct because Smough is a massive (literally and figuratively) fucker that everyone hates and it's a miracle that Ornstein put up with him long enough to wait for and try to kill you.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

A TREASURE CHEST ATE ME :mad:

God bless From for this.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I know this is incredibly not worth it but I really don't care about that. Shame this isn't going to get much use.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

He wasn't a little glowing reptile thing was he? :ohdear:

Wrong crates, that was a lizard that gives you free rocks for upgrading stuff. Try the ones next to the two hollows with spears and shields.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh, so I shouldn't have killed it then? It ran away and it was glowing so I assumed it had something for me to take and I killed it.

Oh, I meant by when you murder it for those shiny, shiny rocks, not talking to it. That one's the easiest one to get because it takes a while for it to escape.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've got my claymore up to +15 and smashing in dumb nerds with it is really fun. What's another weapon like it that's good at +15?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Orv posted:

What's a motherfucker have to do to get a Balder set in this town? :argh:

I kept getting way too many Balder pieces and I just cleaned out my box of them yesterday.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

She said Petrus fled and abandoned her. What a jerk.

You should go ice him.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Oh god I got to those archers in Anor Londo.

Go after the dweeb on the corner (you will probably get shot in the back but as long as you fall on the ledge, you're fine), get close to him, and parry his rear end once he pulls out his sword. If you want to get it over with, keep following the ledge around the corner and drop onto a balcony. Otherwise, chug that Estus and kill the other guy for a fabulous prize behind him.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I'm up to where I quit last time, Orstein and Smough. Anyone have any tips beyond summoning Solaire and putting fire on my weapon?

Also, I forgot to get the item that lets you move through deep water while I was in the depths. Is that something I should do at some point?

Just be very patient and dick around the pillars since one of them won't be really able to deal with it. Getting cocky/reckless will kill you very quickly. Smough takes more damage but has a bigger health bar, and Ornstein has good defense but relatively lower health (basically, it doesn't really matter). The Super versions aren't pushovers, either. S. Smough can easily one-shot you if you gently caress up a roll and his butt-stomp now causes an electric shockwave that you've got to time your roll on (which, if you gently caress up, you're probably dead). S. Ornstein just gets really big without getting slower and has the same butt-stomp along with an unblockable skewer-and-zap attack that will probably kill you (notice a pattern), but his other moves are still the same and fairly easy to counter-act if you know what he can do. Try to save your Estus until the second half if you can and keep your health topped off once you hit it.

The Rusted Iron Ring is available in a return trip to the Undead Asylum and requires a key in Firelink Shrine on top of a roof along the way.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Since I've got a second Claymore kicking around and I like that moveset a lot, should I go ahead and make it Divine for my next NG+, or is there another element that would suit it better?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

(thanks Raidou).

EDIT: I'm also unsure of using that black orb thing to invade and get the Firekeeper back, before going to Sens. I have to fight the knight I saved from the prison cell, right? And he is pretty hard to beat?

Anytime.

Also, wait for the proper time. He'll get his.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I hosed up that stupid goddamn black dragon and now I've got Gough's Greatbow. Manus is next.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just popping in to say that Manus was a dick but manageable (more than Kalameet, anyway) and NG+ Gwyn is a big, dumb idiot baby who went down in like 30 seconds.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for dealing with Nito? I can easily take out his skeletons with my divine weapon to start but I'm really struggling to corral him into the areas I want so I can keep him away from the giant skeletons (his shockwave means I have to get clear and frequently the only direction to go is towards them). The one time I tried to leave him behind and go deal with the giants by themselves early in the fight he started spamming that blade out of the ground attack which I have a hell of a time dodging. Nito himself is pretty easy to chip away at, he's slow and his other attacks are easily dodged, but that one attack and those giants are taking me out every time.

I put on Havel's set and knocked away at the fucker until he dropped. Whenever he did the shockwave, I sucked it up, took a swig, and marched right back in there. I used a 10+ Claymore two-handed with the Grass Crest Shield for stamina recovery. It took me a few tries since the skeletons were a random factor, he kept hitting me with toxic while I was in the middle of a swing, and I didn't feel like whipping out a divine weapon to swat the chumps down, but you can probably do way better than I did easy. I also made him come to me so that I didn't aggro everyone else in the room.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The first time I fought Ceaseless Discharge, he did that thrusting attack with his arm. I blocked it, got knocked down, smacked him twice, chugged some Estus, and repeat until he died. I would've done something else if he did something else and then he just died after seven loops. It was pretty funny to watch.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Ornstein is a big moron.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Considering most of the Dragon-type weapons kind of blow imo, not really. Well, more like a 1/3 but hey.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't used DSFix because I don't know, I just never got around to it and I'm already so used to how it is now, it'd be kind of weird.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I, uh, I never said that. I did this with Deadly Premonition too. It wasn't ever really much of an issue for me.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

This loving minotaur looking guy with the two dogs is making me so mad, I walk into his room and barely have time to blink before he's on me. I only beat the gargoyles by summoning some ghost dudes to help me out. I don't really know what I'm doing so I've just been putting points into Str, Dex, and a couple in Vit and End and I've upgraded my Wing Spear to +5. I have an idea how hard this game gets and I can't imagine myself ever being good enough to actually beat it, but even the little bit I've played so far has been one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years.

Capra Demon, right? He's a real jackass. The dog on the staircase is going to rush you while Capra's probably going to do an attack that will most likely break your guard at this point in the game. Block the dog's attack once it reaches you and then dodge immediately. After that, kill the dog quickly while keeping an eye on Capra (which is hard because gently caress the camera in that fight).

Once the dog's dead, you have some options. Either stand your ground near the door with a shield and block constantly while managing your stamina carefully, or run up the stairs, kill the dog, and then work from there. The only attack you should watch out for at all is the leaping two-handed swing; anything else you can block with enough stamina.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
When he does the one-handed directly overhead swing (the one that makes contact with the ground), that should buy you enough time to take a swig.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

I'm not sure what the hell just happened:
I met Sigfried in Lost Izalith and he wanted me to run away while he jumped to his death fighting monsters, so I jumped in right after, and we actually defeated all of the monsters. Hooray! Talked to him right after, and he just says "Hngh, hngh". Talked to him again and now he asked why I didn't run away and something about him having failed me and his dear Lin (his daughter which I freed from Golden Golem #2 at Dukes I guess?), and then he just suddenly croaked like he had a stroke or something? Did the poisonous swamp/tar on the ground kill him?

If you finish the fight and he has 50% or less of his HP, he is doomed.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

But if he's over 50% he is still doomed but you get a slab. Hurrah!

Well, I meant in a "now or later" kind of thing, but yeah.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Just because you don't have proof doesn't mean you can't do something about it!

Also, yeah, save the DLC for last. Lost Izalith blows an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If you hit him dead center in his head, then yeah, probably. Good luck getting to that point and surviving beyond it to begin with, though.

• Locked thread